Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

I agree;  interesting information.   The results are interesting,  but my only criticism is the low number of participants in the study;  are the results actually significant.  I would assume that the superspeed team did their own studies and I would assume that the protocols were determined based on studying a larger number of participants. 

Agreed but also it seems to me that SuperSpeed goes for over kill. For example they acknowledge that two workouts per week may be as effective as three.

I think you have to ask questions and know yourself when you do these programs. To me the blue club was always the key - the faster I was dominant side with it, the faster I was with my driver.

I’m going to try a blue club warm up today at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 12/11/2019 at 10:27 PM, revkev said:

Agreed but also it seems to me that SuperSpeed goes for over kill. For example they acknowledge that two workouts per week may be as effective as three.

I think you have to ask questions and know yourself when you do these programs. To me the blue club was always the key - the faster I was dominant side with it, the faster I was with my driver.

Hmmm, the blue club thing is pretty interesting.  That's got me wondering if it possible to get stronger to the point where the red club feels like the blue club does now.  

It was not a good practice session at all in regards to speed. I will try it one more time in the future but at first blush I did not see the normal speed bump that I have when I’ve hit balls after doing a protocol in the past.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

The weather has been gorgeous here (50+ degrees in December!), so I decided I would start over SuperSpeed training with their latest protocols a few weeks early since I could be outside. My first session was post-heavy lifting and running workout, so I'm pretty happy with these numbers.

image.png.71281864706970d07bc741eef4df1f27.png

Looking back on my numbers from mid-February, I'm about the same as I was after 4-5 sessions of my initial go around.

Now, only 17 more sessions to go in the first protocol! I'll be curious to see if there's any improvement the second time through. I was reading through some of SuperSpeed's tweets and it looks like some people have never stopped doing the first protocol and are still making small improvements.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I think the Blue is a big key with the protocol. I often find that I will swing the blue as fast as the green because of the added weight. I recently restarted after taking all summer and fall basically off. The biggest thing I have noticed is the marked improvement on my left side swings. When I first started the gap from right to left was 20+ mph, now it is 10+. Which I find funny considering all summer/fall i was swinging only righty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I do want us all to be sure that SuperSpeed Golf wanted our fastest swing - they never once suggested tracking “averages” between the swings. The goal is always - fastest - according to their system.

I understand that some want to track their averages but since this remains the official review thread it’s important to note that averages are contrary to their, SuperSpeed’s methodology. Testers were expected to track fastest speed, always.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Superspeed crew I have a question. I have been doing the protocol 2 days a week instead of 3 and am seeing what I believe to be a greater jump in numbers then I did when doing it 3 times a week. I remember hearing that 2 vs 3 days a week didnt show much variation in the superspeed data, does anyone recall something along those lines?

has anyone found the swing speed radar cheaper than $100? or a cheaper alternative?

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

has anyone found the swing speed radar cheaper than $100? or a cheaper alternative?

The lowest I saw was $85 on eBay... but it went quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 1/8/2020 at 10:07 AM, tchat07 said:

Alright Superspeed crew I have a question. I have been doing the protocol 2 days a week instead of 3 and am seeing what I believe to be a greater jump in numbers then I did when doing it 3 times a week. I remember hearing that 2 vs 3 days a week didnt show much variation in the superspeed data, does anyone recall something along those lines?

That very well could be.  Somewhere earlier in this thread it was mentioned that SuperSpeed also saw similar results when people only trained two days versus three.  For me personally I always tried to do three days a week as a tester but my fastest days were definitely Mondays after having two days of rest over the weekend.

To be honest I got kind of bored with the regular SS protocols.  I stopped the program over the summer but picked the sticks back up again about a month ago when I started the Fit for Golf SuperSpeed program.  Not sure how familiar people are with it but it's a strength and conditioning program that incorporates the SS set before you move on to the weight portion of the workout.  The SS portion is much shorter (36 swings each workout vs 57 for Levels 2 and 3 of the SS protocol) but I feel the overall gains when you include the strength and conditioning portion are greater for your total game than simply doing SS alone.

After taking May through December off I was definitely a little slower with my swings but I'm very close to the max levels I saw after 26 weeks of the SuperSpeed protocol.  I just completed by 4th week of the Fit for Golf program this morning which consisted of 12 total workouts.  Here are my numbers.

Speeds.JPG.a4203808f9657b502cf9e94bbcbc8f36.JPG

The SuperSpeed sticks definitely work but after seeing the results of my new program I think there are different ways each person can maximize their potential.

I purposely didn't include my driver swing speed because I haven't been able to test it fully yet.  Swinging with no ball I saw a very high number using the SS Radar but I don't want to get my hopes up in case that was an outlier.  I have simulator time booked for next Wednesday so we'll see what the Trackman numbers show then.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

8 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

That very well could be.  Somewhere earlier in this thread it was mentioned that SuperSpeed also saw similar results when people only trained two days versus three.  For me personally I always tried to do three days a week as a tester but my fastest days were definitely Mondays after having two days of rest over the weekend.

To be honest I got kind of bored with the regular SS protocols.  I stopped the program over the summer but picked the sticks back up again about a month ago when I started the Fit for Golf SuperSpeed program.  Not sure how familiar people are with it but it's a strength and conditioning program that incorporates the SS set before you move on to the weight portion of the workout.  The SS portion is much shorter (36 swings each workout vs 57 for Levels 2 and 3 of the SS protocol) but I feel the overall gains when you include the strength and conditioning portion are greater for your total game than simply doing SS alone.

After taking May through December off I was definitely a little slower with my swings but I'm very close to the max levels I saw after 26 weeks of the SuperSpeed protocol.  I just completed by 4th week of the Fit for Golf program this morning which consisted of 12 total workouts.  Here are my numbers.

The SuperSpeed sticks definitely work but after seeing the results of my new program I think there are different ways each person can maximize their potential.

I purposely didn't include my driver swing speed because I haven't been able to test it fully yet.  Swinging with no ball I saw a very high number using the SS Radar but I don't want to get my hopes up in case that was an outlier.  I have simulator time booked for next Wednesday so we'll see what the Trackman numbers show then.

I love the symmetry of your numbers. Although I'm not gaining much on the right side anymore, my left side continues to get faster. I would love to see my left side catch completely up like yours.

Glad you are getting great results with Fit For Golf. I'm not doing Mike's SuperSpeed workout, but I've transitioned to mixing his offseason program stretching with heavy compound lifts and the original SS protocols. So far, so good. 

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Yes I remember something a while back being said about that but couldn't find it nor wasnt 100% sure. That Fit for Golf sounds great! Plus looking at how similar your numbers are on both sides I feel like that bodes well for you Trackman test.

On 1/15/2020 at 11:45 AM, Bucky CC said:

I just started the Fit for Golf Off Season program this week - I don't have his SS program, so am intending to to the regular SS protocols along with it.  I restarted the SS program in Oct and after the first week was back to where I left off in May (I also abbreviated the first 2 protocols by 2 weeks each).  However, since mid-Dec, I've only been able to get in 2 sessions a week (only one last week) with the holidays and travel for both family and work...same with going to the gym, so speeds have dropped off a couple mph the past 2 weeks.  I am positive that once I get a few weeks into Fit for Golf, and get back to 3 days with SS, I pick things right back up, but it's been killing me that I haven't been able to get a good routine going.

Here's my nerdy spreadsheet (the blue shaded rows are weeks my highs all broke 100, and the red boxes are for individual highs)...a little bit slower than you, but pretty good for me.  I ran across a print out of my swings from when I tried out some drivers in June 2018 (my second year playing), and they were all in the 78 - 82 mph range (mostly down around 78), so I've come a long way:

image.png.7f50e10d984619c165fcb2cdc8f694fc.png

Bucky tell us more about Fit for Golf - like others I’ve become convinced that there needs to be a fitness element to maximize or at my age keep gains.
@tchat07 SuperSpeed told us that their data suggested that twice a week is sufficient. I’m reading data that suggests fewer swings are just as effective and much safer.

Like Bucky I followed their rules while being their tester. I’ve started workouts again in the New Year so I just finished my third week. I’m doing twice a week.

Today was the first time that I used the radar (it was missing - we found it when we put away the Christmas decorations.)
It does make a difference - I quickly got my speeds up once I could see how fast (slow) I was swinging. By the end of the workout I was right at where I was the end of level one as a tester - 114,109,101 RH. LH was someone like 113,101,99.

That corresponds to where I’m at on the course - longer than when I started, off where I was at last Spring when I was at my peak numbers - low 120’s with the green,

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Bucky tell us more about Fit for Golf - like others I’ve become convinced that there needs to be a fitness element to maximize or at my age keep gains.

There was a forum started that goes over some of the Fit for Golf programs.  I haven't looked at it much lately but people should be able to find out some basic information about Mike Carroll's programs here:

None of the exercises are shocking to think about in a golf sense, but Mike does a great job putting together an easy to follow program with videos to help proper technique.  If you follow them as prescribed you will definitely improve your golf fitness.

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200

I just started doing SS in conjunction with one of Cristian Henning’s programs three weeks ago. I do everything in the gym as I’m currently living in an apartment and we have one here with plenty of space for me to swing the clubs. I’ve been doing the protocols 3 days a week as recommended, but in order to do it the gym needs to pretty much be empty. This has created a slight issue at times, but the primary one is that occasionally I will have to wait until after my CH workout to do SS. The other night I did this and was able to achieve some of my fastest speeds across the board which I find very interesting. I can only assume that it’s because my body was completely warmed up and that the program I’m doing isn’t overly exhausting.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

4 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I just started doing SS in conjunction with one of Cristian Henning’s programs three weeks ago. I do everything in the gym as I’m currently living in an apartment and we have one here with plenty of space for me to swing the clubs. I’ve been doing the protocols 3 days a week as recommended, but in order to do it the gym needs to pretty much be empty. This has created a slight issue at times, but the primary one is that occasionally I will have to wait until after my CH workout to do SS. The other night I did this and was able to achieve some of my fastest speeds across the board which I find very interesting. I can only assume that it’s because my body was completely warmed up and that the program I’m doing isn’t overly exhausting.

Have done a few of my SS workouts in the gym there is an issue.  A huge principal of SS is using the ground.  You can't properly use the ground in the gym IMO. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Have done a few of my SS workouts in the gym there is an issue.  A huge principal of SS is using the ground.  You can't properly use the ground in the gym IMO. 

I've noticed this, too. I have a hard time with sneakers on the concrete in my garage unless I sweep very well. Otherwise I'm slipping all over the place.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

I've noticed this, too. I have a hard time with sneakers on the concrete in my garage unless I sweep very well. Otherwise I'm slipping all over the place.

My grass in the winter doesn’t help much either. But if I took the ground forces test I’d pass cuz after a few swings there’s no more grass beneath my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

6 hours ago, revkev said:

The gym I’m in is carpeted and the shoes I’m wearing have a lot of traction. Unless you’re referring to some level of “give” that could only come from swinging on top of soil, I’m not seeing any issues. It honestly doesn’t feel much different than being in my golf shoes on the range.

The gym I’m in is carpeted and the shoes I’m wearing have a lot of traction. Unless you’re referring to some level of “give” that could only come from swinging on top of soil, I’m not seeing any issues. It honestly doesn’t feel much different than being in my golf shoes on the range.

If your swings are the same I’m sure you’re fine. Have you tried their ground test yet to be sure you’re using the ground properly?

The gym that I used was not carpeted - that could make a difference

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Have you tried their ground test yet to be sure you’re using the ground properly?

I have not! Didn't even know that was thing so I will definitely look it up. Thanks!

I should report this here - I'm certain that using the radar again forced me to swing much faster.  I had not experienced any sort of pain from my first couple of weeks of workouts when I didn't use the monitor.  I did a workout on Saturday and certainly am feeling it still today.  I'm glad I'm just doing a Tuesday afternoon, Saturday morning cycle this time around.   I'm also not intending to do any more than 3 swings of any one drill.  I had lots of little nagging aches and pains when I followed the program full bore last year.  I'm trying to a avoid that this time around while notching the speed back up.  I'm also adding in some workouts to help strengthen my legs and core.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Did you all catch the new SuperSpeed release announced at the PGA Show?  New SuperSpeed C training stick that retails for $99.

"Counterweight training alters the physics of your golf swing by significantly changing the balance point of the golf club and moves mass behind your hands. This allows for significantly faster release speed of the golf club which produces much faster hand and arm speed in your golf swing"

Sounds like it's to be used in addition to the regular sticks and not a direct replacement for them.

Anyone planning on getting one?

2 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Did you all catch the new SuperSpeed release announced at the PGA Show?  New SuperSpeed C training stick that retails for $99.

"Counterweight training alters the physics of your golf swing by significantly changing the balance point of the golf club and moves mass behind your hands. This allows for significantly faster release speed of the golf club which produces much faster hand and arm speed in your golf swing"

Sounds like it's to be used in addition to the regular sticks and not a direct replacement for them.

I was on their site the other day and saw it listed. Not sure I’ll bite. Not now at least.

5 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

I think that I need to strengthen my body so that it handles increased speed before messing with that.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Back from my Trackman session today.  When I ended stage 2 last spring my max with the SuperSpeed radar was 110 mph and about 105 on a trackman.  Earlier this week I was hitting 118 on the radar and today hit 111.5 mph on the Trackman.  This was also a semi-controlled swing to make sure I was making solid contact and not just swinging for the fences every time.

Overall my average today was 108.6mph.  My only complaint for the session is the facility was using last year's Callaway Chrome Soft balls for the test.  I asked if I could hit some of my own Srixon Z-Stars, but they said that wasn't an option since the Callaways all had metal dots on them to help the Trackman pick up the indoor flight.  Apparenlty they've never heard of Soft = Slow.

1504483220_Trackmanspeeds.JPG.f971360276dc6c6db7439bd0a2ba1157.JPG

Back from my Trackman session today.  When I ended stage 2 last spring my max with the SuperSpeed radar was 110 mph and about 105 on a trackman.  Earlier this week I was hitting 118 on the radar and today hit 111.5 mph on the Trackman.  This was also a semi-controlled swing to make sure I was making solid contact and not just swinging for the fences every time.
Overall my average today was 108.6mph.  My only complaint for the session is the facility was using last year's Callaway Chrome Soft balls for the test.  I asked if I could hit some of my own Srixon Z-Stars, but they said that wasn't an option since the Callaways all had metal dots on them to help the Trackman pick up the indoor flight.  Apparenlty they've never heard of Soft = Slow.
1504483220_Trackmanspeeds.JPG.f971360276dc6c6db7439bd0a2ba1157.JPG

@buckycc those are some crazy low spin numbers. What is your set up with your driver?