hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

21 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Although I have an SC200, I have not used it with the SuperSpeed clubs since I have their radar unit.  However, I would think your speed will not register with the SC100 without hitting a ball.  The directions clearly state that practice swings are not recorded or displayed.  I would get a radar unit.

Several of us have the SC200, and we have made comparisons between our driver swing speed with the radar unit and the SC200 when hitting balls.

Thanks.  You are right of course, but I had to go out today and prove it to myself.  I now have to buy the Superspeed Swing Radar device, unfortunately.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, revkev said:

As Kenny wrote you will not be able to pick up your SS on the Voice Caddie without hitting balls so it is of little benefit for speed training use - it's a fun tool though - enjoy it!

I recently broke my radar and was able to find the same unit on Amazon for $74 dollars - You might look around to see if you can find one on ebay or Amazon - some place without the SuperSpeed mark-up.  It's an important part of the process.  Without the radar you are unlikely to push yourself as much as you should.  Also to prepare for what's coming, you will need some sort of significant padding for those kneeling swings - I tried a couple of towels at first - didn't come close to working for that purpose.  I think some of the guys here fashioned there own for around $20. 

Good luck, please let us know about your progress.

Thanks.  I have checked both Amazon and EBay, and the lowest price now (used) is hovering around $95.  You got a bargain at only $74.  I'll keep looking for few days to see if it goes lower.  I've got a CamelCamelCamel alert on for any further drop in Amazon's price also.

As far as knee pads go, I'm going to try using one of my wife's gardening pads, and see how that works.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 12:37 PM, revkev said:

Since this has re-emerged and since I'm guessing that SuperSpeed is no longer monitoring this thread I'm going to jump in and say that according to their research this is yet another tried and true saying that has been disproven - they would argue that you if you try to swing as fast as you are able to (and still maintain control of strike location) you will the ball farther and more accurately and that they have the data to prove it.

Presuming they can maintain control of ball strike location, sure, absolutely, physics wins the day.  But it's been my experience that swinging out of one's shoes does not typically yield good results; distance, accuracy or both.  It's also been my experience that I rarely hear someone suggest a player swing faster when they are having issues controlling ball flight. 

I presumed a healthy portion of what the SS system provides is a longer swing path, which creates a longer club head arc length and club head speed - is this not the case?  That you users are reporting increased speeds is cool, but I was just wondering whether there has been any trade off in accuracy.  

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Presuming they can maintain control of ball strike location, sure, absolutely, physics wins the day.  But it's been my experience that swinging out of one's shoes does not typically yield good results; distance, accuracy or both.  It's also been my experience that I rarely hear someone suggest a player swing faster when they are having issues controlling ball flight. 

I presumed a healthy portion of what the SS system provides is a longer swing path, which creates a longer club head arc length and club head speed - is this not the case?  That you users are reporting increased speeds is cool, but I was just wondering whether there has been any trade off in accuracy.  

For me isn't about swinging out of ones shoes.   Yes you can do that and get a higher top speed,  but what superspeed does is train the body to move faster.  I haven't been doing the protocol for very long,  but I feel like I am seeing better accuracy and more distance.    The system doesn't teach you to stretch and make a longer swing path it is training the body to do things differently.    OVerspeed training isn't unique to golf, some people say it works while others say it doesn't.  That was kind of the purpose of this forum testing, what the testers found and what those who have started the system unofficially are seeing is increased speed.  RevKev has said he feels like he is striking the ball better and obviously seeing increased distance and I don't think he has said he has tried to swing out of his shoes when he is now going to the course.  

There will always be people that doubt the claims,  but what average people that we converse with on a daily basis are seeing is speed improvement from doing this training system.  

• Like 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I wouldn’t say that I swing out of my shoes on the regular right handed swings. I swing hard and stay in balance. Now on the step change swings and regular left handed swings I will swing out of my shoes because that is an unrealistic golf swing and it is meant to train your body to swing faster than it is used to.  My SS has gone up 8 mph since starting. I went on a trip to Florida last week....played eight rounds in the wind....and hit 66% of the fairways....my average fairway hit percentage last year before starting the protocol was 69%.   Interestingly....I didn’t  hit my dreaded duck hook once during the trip

My swing path is not longer. I stop the speed clubs just short of vertical like my real swing. I have just learned to swing faster. There is a reason adults tell kids to learn to hit the ball as far as they can first.....and then teach them control later.  I was skeptical at first but I am a believer. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Yes - Im more accurate. Better contact will equal better accuracy. In my initial driver SS test I averaged 88 mph on my Voice Caddy. On Tuesday I averaged 94 (after a full workout protocol so I was tired). That SS gain should have netted 15 yards 2.5 yards per mph of SS. However it netted 25 yards. That means that in this sample not only did my swing speed increase so did my swing efficiency.

600 pros are now using SuoerSpeed including LPGA world number 1, Phil and many many more. If you follow their protocols you will gain distance and swing efficiency.

They also have tons of data that suggests that trying to swing as fast as you can will actually increase your distance and accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

An update for me starting with a quick recap:

I wasn't in the original protocol but I bought the sticks just to tag along. My routine was a bit different (I just progressed a bit quicker than was advised but nothing too different other than that) but not enough to really change things. 

In my first 8 weeks or so I got my average driver speed from 116ish up to 122ish, with individual swings up in the 125-126 range. My 3w speed was averaging more than 116 before I took a break. Unfortunately a wrist injury that I had as a high school baseball player popped up again and I had to give it some time off. Two weeks of no swinging followed by 3-4 weeks of ramping back up, which is where I'm at right now. 

I'll get right back on the protical bandwagon but I'm happy to report that my swing speeds are still mostly in the low-120s range even after taking 5-or-so weeks off. The gains have appeared to stay and I'm hoping to improve upon them slightly. Last round was my best round with the driver ever. Drawing the ball, finally, just like my other clubs. 

I'd argue that if you are *changing* your swing you might want to wait until you've finished your changes and feel comfortable before you start the SS. I fight early extension and all of the slow-mo and dry work I was doing ot work on my hips, I feel was being hindered by the trainings with the SS. So over the last few weeks when I wasn't using the SS I was focusing a lot on my hips and swing. Now that I'm hitting the ball long and straight and, most importantly, I feel really comfortable with my swing (and my wrist), I'll get back on the protoocal and start working out with the sticks again. I'd like to be around 125 MPH on average by the end of the year. If my wrist doesn't give me issues, I think I'll be there. 

• Like 5

120 with the green stick today. Highest number yet. Left handed to boot. I am definitely in the plateau stage. How long did it take most of you to make your next jump?

96BCDEEE-CBA4-41A6-A158-54637CAD0D9A.jpeg

• Like 6

@joen it took me five weeks or so. That was a hard time to plough through. It was December which meant I was fighting darkness for many workouts, busier than normal at work and sick from mid month through Christmas (I actually did a workout on Christmas afternoon).

Additionally, I regressed not on my SuperSpeed numbers which stayed flat but in my driving distance and then the last two workouts of level into the beginning of level three exploded. (I think the week after Christmas was when that happened).

Right now my green club SS are a little off for some reason.

Having written that my for real distance are off the charts. I’m still stunned at having 202 to a back pin on a 480 yard hole - according to GPS I hit my drive 278. We got paired with two guys and on the back nine they wanted to know how far my drives were going.

I haven’t had that happen in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

Everyone is different with the plateau phases.  I didn't see any gains at all in the 2nd phase of the program, but a few weeks into the 3rd I saw a pretty big jump

It's been a long time since I've set any records with the some of the sticks but I know the program is still working.

741753242_Week25results.JPG.6b545fde1deacd8751361194d657f90c.JPG

• Like 8

Finished week 5 this morning and I am disappointed with my numbers across the board.   I want to start making tweaks to see if I can figure out how to make the numbers keep going up.  I know that there are ups and downs and plateaus but my competitive nature wants each week to be better and better.   I am pretty sure speeds have increase based on distances I have been hitting my irons on the course and swing speed numbers I am seeing on the GC Quad during Most Wanted testing.  

image.png.60a4c21d7c3897898737bc24c207d483.png

• Like 3

@Calypso55, congratulations on the new set of clubs! Hopefully the weather will get better soon and you can hit the course with them.
@cnosil, I understand the frustration. I'm currently near the end of the third protocol and I'm seeing lower speeds than I have in a while. It gets discouraging, but that seems to be the norm for me near the end of a protocol, then the speed jump happens!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

On 3/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, fixyurdivot said:

As has been stated, the SuperSpeed system gets your body parts to move faster.  How does it do that?  It's not really by a bigger arc, although that is likely a result as you swing the heaviest club.  What's happening by using light, medium and heavy clubs in the SuperSpeed protocol sequence is that you are training your brain to recognize a faster speed which will lead to faster motor sequence.  You are not swinging out of your shoes; you are making the same swing as always, but your brain doesn't have the same speed limiter it used to have.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Calypso55 said:

Greetings, Group!

Well, my increased speed prompted me to go and get a new fitting.  Last one I had was about two years ago.  I made an appointment at GolfTec (since I've done business with them before, they had done my previous fitting, AND they were running a special for March) and, lo and behold, my increased speed warranted a move from my current regular shafts into a stiffer shaft.

The fitting process was interesting.  

The first thing that the pro did was do figure out where I was at with the optimal shafts for my swing.

One thing that was consistent was my need to have a much lower spin rate.   He narrowed it down to three different shafts to compensate for my increased speed and to achieve a lower launch angle.

Then, it began with trying out different brands of irons.   I tried Mizuno, Taylormade, and Ping, in a more game-improvement style.  Settled on the Ping 410's with the Project X LZ 5.5 shafts.  Again,  a stiffer shaft than my current regular flex.  My club face will be set to 2 degrees flat.  I was gaining about 10-15 yards per club.

Then it was on to the drivers.  Again, tried a number of them-- TaylorMade, Mizuno, Ping, and Calloway.  Went with the Calloway Epic Sub Zero 10.5, set at 9.0, with an HZD Smoke shaft (again stiffer than my current driver shaft) cut down by one inch.  I was hitting the Calloway about 10 yards longer than the other drivers I tried, which were all about 10 yards longer than my current driver.  So, I think I'll be picking up at least an additional 20 yards if not more.

I bit the bullet and ordered the Ping irons and the Calloway driver.  And then I did the bravest thing a man ever could-- I told my wife what I had done.... and we're still married!!!!  

Very glad I took the time to get professionally measured.  The pro kindly waived the fitting fee since I ordered the clubs through them... nor did I get gouged... the prices were comparable to anything I could order online elsewhere.  Plus, the clubs will be tweaked to my length and lie at no additional charge.  

I'm very confident about the choices in clubs and shafts.  They should be coming in at the end next week.  Now, if only the rest of the snow would melt so that I can hit the links with them!

Congrats on the new equipment.  I'm curious what irons are (were) you playing?  

I have started SSG protocol,, after the first week I am already seeing some gains on the range using the radar from 95 mph to 101.

I have been playing a couple of years; at 53 years old I was dubious about whether I could really get faster. Hoping to get to a stage where my drives are 250+ to make my game more playable

I agree with the above (Kenny B) what it is doing is removing existing patterns of movement and replacing them with new improved quicker ones.

I would have expected an initial jump in speed I will see if I can maintain that to the end of week 4

• Like 5

Just finished the worst week of SuperSpeed I've had in a while, I didn't have a single club go higher than 112 mph. I'm chalking it up to exhaustion. Since last Friday, my days have gone: golf, training, golf, training, off, training, range, training, golf. Plus, I mowed the yard today.

Tomorrow will probably be another day at the range trying to dial in the Sub Zero and get rid of the pesky slice.

On a positive note, I did see 99 mph on a kneeling swing today with my medium weight stick right handed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 6

I wrapped up week 12 of the level 1 protocol tonight and my speeds have plateaued a bit so I'm interested to see how things go during the level 2 protocol. Time to get my crow hop on!

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 10:42 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Congrats on the new equipment.  I'm curious what irons are (were) you playing?  

I was playing a set of Maltby irons.  Graphite shafts.  I'll be hanging on to them for my 'senior' years.  

• Like 3

On 3/27/2019 at 5:49 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Different problems require different solutions.  And usually, your teacher will push you too far to the opposite end of the spectrum in order to fix a flaw.  My daughter was getting far too mechanical with trying to hit positions in her backswing, and Super Speed is perfect for getting her out of her own head and making an athletic golf swing.  

• Like 6