hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

2 hours ago, Springveldt said:

Lengthy post incoming...

OK, managed to get back to the exact same GC2 monitor that I hit on back in March. The results were both positive and negative.

Ignore club names as I was just selecting anything on the screen at the time to give me difference colours, the GC2 guesses club head speed anyway so I was only interested in the ball data.

Numbers from March when I had my driver set at 9.25 degrees in draw position with a TaylorMade Project(a) ball.

PdlGb0Al.jpg

My first hits where with the Project(a) ball again but I've got my driver at 10.5 degrees just now in Fade since I was trying to play a fade as I've been coming over the top lately. When not in Fade setting my misses have been big pulls left.

0bQryyll.jpg?1

Positive is the big 5mph increase in ball speed, not bad for 6 weeks! Negatives are the huge jump in spin that means I'm not gaining anything really and I'm off the planet right when I leave the face open.

In true MyGolfSpy fashion I then switched to my current ball the Bridgestone Tour B X to see if that produced any more speed (it should going by the MyGolfSpy ball test).

I hit 4 shots with the driver in the same setting before lowering it to 9.75 and switching to the Draw setting again.

wstnrPml.jpg?1

Ball speed up nearly 7mph now, I guess the ball testing was accurate as the Bridgestone has given me another 2mph.

From these results it's obvious that a few things are happening...

1. I'm hitting down on the ball with my driver instead if hitting up. This is probably because I've been trying to steepen my backswing but I'm not shallowing out enough on the downswing. When I swing with a shallower backswing I have big pulls left with both irons and driver as a miss. This more upright backswing has helped my irons a lot but it may be hurting my driver.

2. If I keep swinging as I am just now I need to lower my current driver loft to 9 degrees but this is opening the face up even more. If I do that I'll need to make sure I get better club face control but I'm worried I won't be able to control it and start slicing massively.

3. Superspeed works, there is no doubt about it in my mind.

Next step is probably to go get a lesson from a local pro who has a Trackman to see if I can retain this speed but adjust my angle of attack to hit up. If I can do that I should be seeing carries into the 260 range.

If that fails, I guess it's time for a driver fitting as I think I would benefit from a 9 degree driver rather than the 10.5 one I have currently. Plus, it's a 2016 M1 driver I'm hitting, I need an excuse to replace it. 😀

tl;dr Superspeed works.

Thanks, that was a good read, great work!  I have to admit I'm just a little jealous of those speeds and distances.  😉

Plus, it's a 2016 M1 driver I'm hitting, I need an excuse to replace it.

For sure, you're behind by 5 now!  

• Like 2

The last month I have been recovering from a back injury from golf and speed sticks. I was a couple weeks into Level 4 when all this happened, so I put them down for abit and the last week or more have been starting back up with 2 training sessions per week at the Level 1 proto.........and ramping up and into L4 over the next week.

On August 1st will be the 1 year anniversary for me of when I first got the stick and the radar and drove down to the range to collect my first "starting numbers." Granted I did not start the training FOR REAL until November 1, but I am hoping to remain healthy and head back to the range on that 1 year anniversary date to re-test and compare.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I stayed true to my word as it relates to the below Quote from the above post (lol).

366 days ago, 8-2-2018, I trotted out to range with my swing speed radar and a bucket of balls. Warmed up and then hit and recorded 10 drivers with result of Max 108mph, Averaged 105.5

366 days later, 8-3-2019, trotted to the same range and a bucket, warmed up and then recorded 10 drivers with result of Max 118mph, Averaged 116mph, and slowest was 113mph. I did actually record a 121mph in my string of 10 but eliminated it as an outlier and hit another to use for record. 😁 It is the 2nd 121mph (in months) I've seen but I'm not buying it until I see it more often

QUOTE FROM ABOVE:"On August 1st will be the 1 year anniversary for me of when I first got the stick and the radar and drove down to the range to collect my first "starting numbers." Granted I did not start the training FOR REAL until November 1, but I am hoping to remain healthy and head back to the range on that 1 year anniversary date to re-test and compare."

Edited by Trial&Error
  • Like 8

I stayed true to my word as it relates to the below Quote from the above post (lol).
366 days ago, 8-2-2018, I trotted out to range with my swing speed radar and a bucket of balls. Warmed up and then hit and recorded 10 drivers with result of Max 108mph, Averaged 105.5
366 days later, 8-3-2019, trotted to the same range and a bucket, warmed up and then recorded 10 drivers with result of Max 118mph, Averaged 116mph, and slowest was 113mph. I did actually record a 121mph in my string of 10 but eliminated it as an outlier and hit another to use for record.  It is the 2nd 121mph (in months) I've seen but I'm not buying it until I see it more often
QUOTE FROM ABOVE:"On August 1st will be the 1 year anniversary for me of when I first got the stick and the radar and drove down to the range to collect my first "starting numbers." Granted I did not start the training FOR REAL until November 1, but I am hoping to remain healthy and head back to the range on that 1 year anniversary date to re-test and compare."

That’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I started level 2 about three days ago and have noticed quite the difference. I didn't buy a radar, but probably should have. The only downside I've realized is needing to upgrade equipment (shafts) again at Club Champion. I'll wait until I'm finished up next May/June before I upgrade.

That'll be $$$$

• Like 2

I started level 2 about three days ago and have noticed quite the difference. I didn't buy a radar, but probably should have. The only downside I've realized is needing to upgrade equipment (shafts) again at Club Champion. I'll wait until I'm finished up next May/June before I upgrade.

That'll be $$$$

I would highly recommend the radar. You can find them for under 100 on Amazon Prime.

Everyone is different but the only club/shaft that I needed to change was driver. I was very surprised when I was fitted. Others though have needed a more complete equipment overhaul. SuperSpeed recommends doing a fitting during the second plateau phase.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

Life has gotten in the way of already being done with the second protocol. I only did two sessions in July, but have picked up and done two more this week already. I'm now done with 19 of 24 sessions in the second protocol.

I'm definitely still in a plateau, but what's interesting is that I'm finally starting to see my numbers with the heavier (blue, red) clubs and left hand swings catch up with my right-handed green club swings. I think that's a good thing.

Overall maximum speed progression so far during protocol two:

image.thumb.png.79f19bc1aef012f21a54efae6634f1fe.png

And numbers from my last session last night:

image.thumb.png.92cfe60fa8f33cbdbdb188b9c5f3b65e.png

Most importantly, I'm starting to see results on the course. I switched driver shafts in my Epic Flash to the HZRDUS Yellow two weeks ago and made a few small swing changes at the beginning of July. They have really aided translating my speed to the course.

During my nine hole round this morning I averaged 248 yards off the tee, dragged down by a 219-yard miss low on the face. About two weeks ago, I had drives of 280 and 301 yards during an evening round. 

I'll say it again - SuperSpeed flat out works.

• Like 3

Did my first session with my homemade setup. 

Left handed was certainly weird and uncoordinated.

Highest speed with the light club was 120, squeezed out 110 with the heavy one with the step through. 

I was puffing by the time I finished, seriously out of condition.

I'll need to monitor my shoulder to see if I can keep going in the short term. Fingers crossed.