hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

On 8/24/2019 at 12:14 PM, revkev said:

I agree in regards to the ceiling but what determines it? Lots of factors I would think from swing flaws to physical ailments to age to level of athletic giftedness. For that matter life and economic circumstance are factors.

If I had the time, money and desire I could raise that ceiling a bit even at my age - certainly if I were younger but would it be worth it?

All interesting questions to ponder

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Scrolling through after being away from the discussion for a while and saw this was along the path of my current question.

I got away from the workout routines as I started a series of lessons and got into my league season. Realizing I had enough going through my head with swing adjustments and not wanting to complicate that with the occasional timing and sequence blips that SuperSpeed says many will encounter I let the sticks sit in the corner for the season. 

I didn't feel like I lost an of the gains I had made, but was just curious to how the tester group has managed anything similar. What have you guys done for maintenance when you want to get out and play more?

Now that the league season is done, I plan to start the protocols again at the beginning. Should I expect to progress to level two quicker or just stay on the prescribed schedule?

• Like 1

I've lurked around here for a while, but decided to create an account since I recently got the SuperSpeed Golf sticks for myself and want to share my experience with them.

I start my second week tomorrow. The first week didn't give me much for results. I started at 96mph average driver speed(topping out a bit over 100mph on the highest ones) and stayed the same through the first two sessions, without the 100+ swings showing up at all. My third session I saw a 97mph average, with some of those 100+ swings creeping back in now and then. It was a bit disappointing after reading so many people have big increases right away. My swings with the sticks have increased in speed every session, though, so maybe I'm just a late bloomer.

Checking out their website after getting the sticks, I saw they're having a workshop in the northeast in a few weeks that coincides with a trip I'm making past there anyway. I'm probably going to try to attend, so I'll share my results until then and how that experience turns out as well.

Thanks for all the stories and results you guys have shared. I look forward to reading more.

• Like 4

Scrolling through after being away from the discussion for a while and saw this was along the path of my current question.
I got away from the workout routines as I started a series of lessons and got into my league season. Realizing I had enough going through my head with swing adjustments and not wanting to complicate that with the occasional timing and sequence blips that SuperSpeed says many will encounter I let the sticks sit in the corner for the season. 
I didn't feel like I lost an of the gains I had made, but was just curious to how the tester group has managed anything similar. What have you guys done for maintenance when you want to get out and play more?
Now that the league season is done, I plan to start the protocols again at the beginning. Should I expect to progress to level two quicker or just stay on the prescribed schedule?

Great question -

Here’s a chance to test SuperSpeed’s customer service - purchase of the sticks is supposed to bring access to the staff. Reach out to them with an email about this question.

I’d be curious to read what they say also. I feel like I want to get back into the program as the weather gets cooler and play transfers from competitive to casual. Speaker which we need to get out and play. Friday’s often work for me starting the end of September. How about you?

I can also play on a stray Saturday here or there.

• Like 2

I have reached week 20. my speeds with the superspeed sticks seem to have leveled off and on a GC Quad my speed are in the 110-113 range which is up from the 105 range when I started during most wanted testing. Need to find some time to get to a range so I can do the ASD protocol tests and see if I need to incorporate them into my training.

• Like 3

Thanks to the hard work and dedication of the testers along with others who have reported their experience, I finally purchased SuperSpeed Golf along with the radar. I don't plan to start any protocols until next week, but I'm excited to dive in and see what happens. One question I have for those who have been doing the protocols for a while... Do any of you also workout during the week, and how do you think it's best to manage SuperSpeed Golf on top of traditional workouts?

• Like 4

Thanks to the hard work and dedication of the testers along with others who have reported their experience, I finally purchased SuperSpeed Golf along with the radar. I don't plan to start any protocols until next week, but I'm excited to dive in and see what happens. One question I have for those who have been doing the protocols for a while... Do any of you also workout during the week, and how do you think it's best to manage SuperSpeed Golf on top of traditional workouts?

Yes I worked out during the testing - I tried to avoid doing a SS session on a workout day - if I did I did SS first.

• Like 1

I just finished my second week today. My lefty swings have steadily improved, but I haven't seen any gains on my actual shots.

First 2 weeks data:

Driver the day Before starting:     96average - 104 high

Week 1:          Green                           Blue                             Red                                      Driver

Day 1       (110R - 84L)                (105R - 82L)                  (101R - 82L)                   (96avg - 97high)       

Day 2       (113R - 96L)                 (110R - 94L)                  (104R - 89L)                  (96avg - 99high)  

Day 3        (119R - 98L)                (115R - 93L)                 (110R - 87L)                    (97avg - 102high)

Week 2:           Green                           Blue                             Red                                     Driver 

Day 1         (123R - 102L)              (109R - 95L)                 (108R - 96L)                  (95avg - 97.6high)

Day 2         (119R - 102L)              (110R - 103L)               (104R - 91L)                  (94.6avg - 96.4high)

Day 3         (119R - 105L)              (112R - 98L)                 (105R - 95L)                  (96.6avg - 99.8high)

Sorry if all those numbers are a mess, but I thought I'd type it up to show my trends. What they don't show is normal swings have been the fastest for me in week 2 for everything but Green and lefty swings. Today they were faster across the board. They're pretty similar for the most part, but my fastest step swing was 5mph slower than my fastest normal swing with Red today, and the same as my slowest normal swing.

It would be great to hear any similar experiences and/or recommendations you guys might have. I'm still going to attend the workshop they're having in a few weeks, but starting to wonder if it might be better to stop and wait until I've attended and learned what will help me the most.

• Like 2

Long-term Update:

Almost a year has passed since we started the review for the SuperSpeed program, and I wanted to make sure I provided a long-term update on how my swing speed has progressed. I just got back from my long game fitting at Cool Clubs. This is the first time I have been on a launch monitor since going through the SuperSpeed program, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.

I do have a couple big disclaimers before I go over the results…

1. I dropped off of the SuperSpeed program soon after the Stage 2 reviews and have not done any of the speed protocols for close to 8 months.
  2. I started taking lessons in April of this year and have had distance gains through the improvement of my swing.

Now let’s take you back to the original review.. Prior to starting the SuperSpeed protocol, my average driver swing speed was a measly 90.5 mph. By the end of my stage 2 review, I had increased my average driver swing speed to 96.4 mph, with my fastest swings being around 103 mph (All measured on the supplied Swing Speed Radar). One of the biggest disappointments I had after using SuperSpeed, is that while I was gaining swing speed, I wasn’t seeing any distance gains on the course. This tied with a busy schedule, prompted me to put away the SuperSpeed clubs.

There has been a lot of speculation about whether or not the swing speed increases are permanent, or will decay over time without the continued use of the SuperSpeed clubs. Having not done a speed protocol in 8 months, I believe that I can now answer that. 

All of my recent club fittings have been done at Cool Clubs, with the same fitter, on Trackman. My first fitting was for Driver and took place about 6 months prior to starting the SuperSpeed program, I will be referring to this as my baseline. At the end of my long game fitting, I took a few swings with Driver to gather some comparison numbers. Here are the averages:

252929850_BaselinevCurrentDriver.JPG.914f3eee992fcaa9e7ef270ce7ccf2b9.JPG

* I just realized that I entered the wrong smash factor for the baseline. The baseline Smash Factor should read "1.42".

Despite having put away SuperSpeed 8 months ago, I am still maintaining a 7 mph club head speed increase and have had a ball speed increase of 10.6 mph, which has resulted in an additional 18.9 yards of carry and 21.4 yards total. Now if I could only figure out how to move my angle of attack towards the positive side… There are still yards to gain at my current swing speed! 

So for those of you who are worried about losing club head speed after ending the SuperSpeed training, I don’t think you have much to worry about. In my case, simply continuing to play on a regular basis has allowed me to maintain the swing speed increases from the program.

• Like 5

Hi guys, I haven't done an update in a while simply because I haven't even started stage 2 yet. Life has gotten in the way and I've found it very difficult to find the time to do the protocols. To be honest my motivation has dropped down as well due to the excellent gains I got in the first 6 weeks.

After getting frustrated with my game I went for a lesson with a local pro who has a Trackman so I could get all my club data (rather than the GC2 I was hitting on only giving me ball data). At the end of the lesson I mentioned that my spin rate for my driver was high so I hit a few balls to get feedback. 

Before starting SuperSpeed my driver was usually in the 96-98mph range with the odd one going over 100mph ( I think 102mph may have been the best I've seen). On Trackman my controlled driver swings were averaging 105mph and when the instructor asked me to go after a few my speed went up to 110mph. I hadn't done any protocols or maintenance in the 4 weeks before that lesson.

SuperSpeed simply works and it seems like others just playing regularly keeps all your gains. I hit a 318 yard drive last week (wind assisted with a firm fairway) and early on Saturday morning at 12 degrees temperature with dew on the fairway I hit a 289 yard drive into a crosswind.

I really should find the 20 minutes to do stage 2, I may try and get them started tonight to see if I can find another speed jump.

• Like 5

I have a question for you guys. Do/did you hit balls right after doing the protocols, wait a day, several hours, a week? I've been hitting several balls immediately after doing the training every time to track progress. Would appreciate hearing your experience and if you and/or superspeed advise against doing this. It only occurred to me that it might be a bad idea after seeing something about waiting several hours before playing.

• Like 2

I have a question for you guys. Do/did you hit balls right after doing the protocols, wait a day, several hours, a week? I've been hitting several balls immediately after doing the training every time to track progress. Would appreciate hearing your experience and if you and/or superspeed advise against doing this. It only occurred to me that it might be a bad idea after seeing something about waiting several hours before playing.

I believe they do not recommend swinging clubs after training. So when I did my progress tracking I did it the next day after warming up.

I’ve used the level 1 training as a warm up once at my house before heading to a local course. It worked out well for me, and have also used a weighted skillz stick or orange whip plus the green club before rounds with the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, random said:

No, since I usually do the training late at night after I've got the wife and kids to bed. I started Stage 2 last night at around 9:30pm when it was pitch black and a little drizzle in the back garden. Footing was an issue 😂

I have used them before a round, but not a full protocol. I'll just swing each club a few times till I get a swing over 100mph (yes I do get the radar out as well) with each of them, just to make sure I'm loose for the first tee.

I've done a full protocol workout the night before I played in a competition and it didn't work out well at all, it's like you fry you central nervous system as all my shots that morning were weak. Now, I make sure my last training session with them is Thursday night if I'm playing Saturday morning.

• Like 1

As my post above stated I started Stage 2 last night. What masochist came up with those kneeling swings? Man, they were tough but they highlighted how little rotation my portly mid-section produces.

Checking my spreadsheet, my last official workout was the 18th of July, so 47 days ago. My dominant side swings were down for each stick but not much (127 - 124) (121 - 117) and (114 - 112) but my non-dominant side was way up. The green one was 113mph, that's 7mph faster than the last time I did these.

Time to get back to grinding out these workouts, lets see if I can get my driver swing up to 108mph with controlled swings and 114mph when going flat out.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, random said:

I typically wait until the next day, if only because I do the protocols at home and not on the range. I do like to do some air swings with a spare driver I have and measure them on the SSR immediately following.

7 hours ago, Springveldt said:

As my post above stated I started Stage 2 last night. What masochist came up with those kneeling swings? Man, they were tough but they highlighted how little rotation my portly mid-section produces.

I HATE the kneeling swings with a passion. Hate, hate.

I finally have made my way into completing the level three protocols. I will be doing two sessions and then the ASD training for sequencing. The SS training has taken a backseat over the past two months as I've been focused more on playing and practicing during my limited time opportunities. 

Tonight's session was a great one for me:

image.thumb.png.4633b658d1b46d6287950e706d5ce5ec.png

The green finish max speed of 145 is a new record, as was the 135 MPH blue club speed. I've been working on a few things swing wise that I think made the difference there. These numbers have me excited to continue through for the next couple weeks of good weather.

• Like 5

Ideally you’d do a workout in the morning and hit balls in the afternoon - I did however occasionally hit balls right after the workout a time or two.

I tried lots of different things as experiments. One that’s stuck is doing some ASD 2 swings with the red club during the round to stay loose or if my swing gets a bit off.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, edingc said:

I typically wait until the next day, if only because I do the protocols at home and not on the range. I do like to do some air swings with a spare driver I have and measure them on the SSR immediately following.

I HATE the kneeling swings with a passion. Hate, hate.

I finally have made my way into completing the level three protocols. I will be doing two sessions and then the ASD training for sequencing. The SS training has taken a backseat over the past two months as I've been focused more on playing and practicing during my limited time opportunities. 

Tonight's session was a great one for me:

image.thumb.png.4633b658d1b46d6287950e706d5ce5ec.png

The green finish max speed of 145 is a new record, as was the 135 MPH blue club speed. I've been working on a few things swing wise that I think made the difference there. These numbers have me excited to continue through for the next couple weeks of good weather.

Some serious speed you have there, guess I have something to aim for. Since I'm now fast approaching my mid forties, I doubt I can get that high, 145mph is ridiculously fast.

13 hours ago, Springveldt said:

Some serious speed you have there, guess I have something to aim for. Since I'm now fast approaching my mid forties, I doubt I can get that high, 145mph is ridiculously fast.

Thanks. It's been fun to see my numbers increase since the first session. I'm sure you will see a lot of progress once you get going!

Getting the numbers to translate to the course is a whole 'nother ballgame for me. I do well with irons but struggle to get the same kinds of speed with the driver. Always something I'm working on.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, edingc said:

Thanks. It's been fun to see my numbers increase since the first session. I'm sure you will see a lot of progress once you get going!

Getting the numbers to translate to the course is a whole 'nother ballgame for me. I do well with irons but struggle to get the same kinds of speed with the driver. Always something I'm working on.

I'm the opposite, my numbers transfer to the course almost too well. My red stick is usually around 112-115mph on any given night but on Trackman my driver speed was 104mph when I was swinging within myself and nearly 110mph when I was going flat out (and making terrible contact with the ball).

Last night I could only get the green one up to 124mph and I felt like I was swinging out of my shoes. I'd have thought your driver swing speed should be at least 115mph with those numbers.

I've read the whole Epic Flash driver thread now (I had an amazing session with one and wanted to see how others got on. Booked in again on Tuesday at a separate place to confirm the numbers) and I noticed our distances are roughly the same but with those superspeed readings you should be 20 yards past me.

Anyone noticed unusual numbers with the swing speed radar between irons and woods? I was warming up yesterday and swung some 5 irons and drivers and was getting 95 average and a 99 with my 5 iron and only about 104 average with driver.

Not sure if my driver is really that inefficient or If it’s simply a measurement thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Springveldt said:

I'm the opposite, my numbers transfer to the course almost too well. My red stick is usually around 112-115mph on any given night but on Trackman my driver speed was 104mph when I was swinging within myself and nearly 110mph when I was going flat out (and making terrible contact with the ball).

Last night I could only get the green one up to 124mph and I felt like I was swinging out of my shoes. I'd have thought your driver swing speed should be at least 115mph with those numbers.

I've read the whole Epic Flash driver thread now (I had an amazing session with one and wanted to see how others got on. Booked in again on Tuesday at a separate place to confirm the numbers) and I noticed our distances are roughly the same but with those superspeed readings you should be 20 yards past me.

Those are great numbers with your driver. I am lucky if I see 104 consistently on the Swing Caddie, and the highest I've seen myself reach is 107. If the same kind of trend continues to start next golf season, I will be getting some lessons specifically to address my driver. My mechanics with the driver are obviously off since I do see good speeds with my irons.

The Epic Flash is a great club and extremely forgiving. I love mine.

• Like 2