hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

Our Sponsors

Glad to have you in the forum.
I'll definitely defer to others with more expertise than I have, but I think the warning against doing the SS drills before a round is that they may well harm your swing during the round itself. I don't believe that there is any concern that training and playing on the same day would harm the training progress.
I would guess that, if possible, training after you play would be preferable.

Sorry to contradict but SS was clear that if we insisted on playing or practicing on a training day that we do the training first.

The idea behind the training is to be as fast as possible - the training is far more about rewiring the brain to go faster than it is about physical fitness and strength acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

Sorry to contradict but SS was clear that if we insisted on playing or practicing on a training day that we do the training first.

The idea behind the training is to be as fast as possible - the training is far more about rewiring the brain to go faster than it is about physical fitness and strength acquisition.

Good call and helpful correction.

Could we say this: it depends what you're less willing to mess up? If the round is a vitally important one, you probably don't want to do your SS sets just before it. In any other case, if you're going to do both on a say, do the SS first, so you're not going into to your workout exhausted and not getting the benefit from it.

But it's best not to have them overlap, if possible.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 80 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
Currently testing: :Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab R Ball, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Good call and helpful correction.

Could we say this: it depends what you're less willing to mess up? If the round is a vitally important one, you probably don't want to do your SS sets just before it. In any other case, if you're going to do both on a say, do the SS first, so you're not going into to your workout exhausted and not getting the benefit from it.

But it's best not to have them overlap, if possible.

I would agree - It might even be better to forgo the SS workout and do two that week rather than to do a slow one because you're tired out from a round.  I'd be curious to learn what they might say about that.  I know that three per week is ideal but that we were told, once we were well into the testing, that an occasional two workout week would not retard the process. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

On 12/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, fixyurdivot said:

How about an update from all the testers on how their increased swing speeds have translated into performance on the course?  Are we seeing distance gains with no loss in accuracy?  More so off the tee, irons, or both?  Is it difficult to "maintain the gain"?

As one of the "unofficial" testers, I'll chime in as well. I was able to get on Trackman yesterday and later in the day picked up the green stick to see what I could hit in a few swings.

I started doing the SuperSpeed program with my DIY sticks in February, and worked my way into the third protocol before stopping.

Caveat to these numbers is that I've been doing the Fit for Golf offseason program for the past six weeks and hoped to see swing speeds from that, also.

Green stick is holding steady in the low-mid 130s (three "cold" swings were 132, 135, 132), which is actually slightly higher than when I stopped doing the third protocol in late August.

Actual Trackman results -

Average driver speed has not changed much since my May fitting. It was up 1 MPH on average. I want to attribute this to both being inside and also having not swung a driver for two months prior to yesterday. Outdoors in late summer I saw a maximum of 108 MPH on my Swing Caddie, with more swings generally in the 101-103 MPH range.

7-iron speed is up considerably from during the season. At the end of the season I was fit for irons and recorded an average of 84 MPH. Yesterday my average was 87+. On my Swing Caddie I've seen that number work higher toward the low-mid 90s.

I have also had a lesson, and my coach changed my grip. I believe that has contributed to allowing me to swing harder and get better ball flight as well.

So, yes, SuperSpeed gains appear to stick pretty well even if you don't religiously follow the program or maintenance program. I did not hit a lot of fairways this year and my grip was probably to blame, not SuperSpeed.

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 25, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra x Vessel SpeedZone Stand Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

As one of the "unofficial" testers, I'll chime in as well. I was able to get on Trackman yesterday and later in the day picked up the green stick to see what I could hit in a few swings.
I started doing the SuperSpeed program with my DIY sticks in February, and worked my way into the third protocol before stopping.
Caveat to these numbers is that I've been doing the Fit for Golf offseason program for the past six weeks and hoped to see swing speeds from that, also.
Green stick is holding steady in the low-mid 130s (three "cold" swings were 132, 135, 132), which is actually slightly higher than when I stopped doing the third protocol in late August.
Actual Trackman results -
Average driver speed has not changed much since my May fitting. It was up 1 MPH on average. I want to attribute this to both being inside and also having not swung a driver for two months prior to yesterday. Outdoors in late summer I saw a maximum of 108 MPH on my Swing Caddie, with more swings generally in the 101-103 MPH range.
7-iron speed is up considerably from during the season. At the end of the season I was fit for irons and recorded an average of 84 MPH. Yesterday my average was 87+. On my Swing Caddie I've seen that number work higher toward the low-mid 90s.
I have also had a lesson, and my coach changed my grip. I believe that has contributed to allowing me to swing harder and get better ball flight as well.
So, yes, SuperSpeed gains appear to stick pretty well even if you don't religiously follow the program or maintenance program. I did not hit a lot of fairways this year and my grip was probably to blame, not SuperSpeed.

I’m still not in the 130 club but a full swing sim had me at 113+ with an m2 3 wood.

Maybe it’s cuz I’m short.

How’s the fit for golf program? Is that the one with Finau?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

10 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I’m still not in the 130 club emoji24.png but a full swing sim had me at 113+ with an m2 3 wood.

Maybe it’s cuz I’m short. emoji23.png

How’s the fit for golf program? Is that the one with Finau?

Rehashing something I've mentioned before in this thread, I'm pretty certain for me the lack of speed with longer clubs is sequencing/technique. It's definitely something I will be working with my instructor on. I had started the ASD protocol for sequencing but never followed through with it. As I get above the 7 iron, my path gets progressively more left and my speed increase between clubs flattens. 

From Sunday's session (average swing speeds and carry):

GW (48 degrees) - 82 MPH / 120 yds
PW (44 degrees) - 82 MPH / 133 yds (speed makes sense as I play PW and GW at same length)
9 Iron - 83 MPH / 143 yds
8 Iron - 85 MPH / 154 yds
7 Iron - 87 MPH / 167 yds
6 Iron - 88 MPH / 172 yds
5 Iron - 89 MPH / 181 yds
4 Iron - 90 MPH / 185 yds
3W - 95 MPH / 214 yds
Driver - 100 MPH / 241 yds

I basically swing 4-7 irons within the same 2-3 MPH. If you based my speeds from 7-GW off of the posted Trackman PGA averages, my driver should be closer to 110. Oh well, something to work on. As it stands currently my gapping is a little tight at the top of the bag, something my fitter pointed out.

As for Fit for Golf, that's been detailed over here. Couple of MGS members are working through that protocol. I know Mike works with some pros, don't think Finau is one of his clients though.

• Like 3

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

On 12/7/2019 at 12:37 PM, revkev said:

When you restarted was it with level one or did you go back to where you left off?

Hey revkev!  I went back to the very beginning, but only did 4 weeks of Protocol 1 instead of 6 weeks.  I'm planning to trim 2 weeks off Protocol 2 as well, and maybe even Protocol 3, depending on how that goes.  I figure I completed all of those between December and May, so a shortened version should be OK.  So far, my speeds are almost exactly where they were at the end of Protocol 3 - I'm kind of an Excel nerd, so I'm tracking the trailing average of the driver speed approximation formula someone posted a few months ago.  First time through, I saw my first jump in week 10 (8.7%), then I started a new trailing average starting with that increase. 

It would be nice to get another bump around the same time, which would be the week I start my re-do of Protocol 3.

• Like 2

I was reading up on the overspeed training studies. Most of them are in the baseball world. There was one interesting question brought up is there a minimum amount needed. This study had looked what would happen if only swinging one of the SuperSpeed clubs as opposed to all 3. Interesting that the group doing the protocol only with the 10% lighter club still produced similar speed increases to the 3 club protocols. Swinging just the heavy or lightest clubs did not improve speed. Just seeing what you think

https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly

• Like 4

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, Rchang said:

I was reading up on the overspeed training studies. Most of them are in the baseball world. There was one interesting question brought up is there a minimum amount needed. This study had looked what would happen if only swinging one of the SuperSpeed clubs as opposed to all 3. Interesting that the group doing the protocol only with the 10% lighter club still produced similar speed increases to the 3 club protocols. Swinging just the heavy or lightest clubs did not improve speed. Just seeing what you think

https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly

I found this fascinating -

Thank you for posting it!

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I found this fascinating -

Thank you for posting it!

I agree;  interesting information.   The results are interesting,  but my only criticism is the low number of participants in the study;  are the results actually significant.  I would assume that the superspeed team did their own studies and I would assume that the protocols were determined based on studying a larger number of participants. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree;  interesting information.   The results are interesting,  but my only criticism is the low number of participants in the study;  are the results actually significant.  I would assume that the superspeed team did their own studies and I would assume that the protocols were determined based on studying a larger number of participants. 

Agreed but also it seems to me that SuperSpeed goes for over kill. For example they acknowledge that two workouts per week may be as effective as three.

I think you have to ask questions and know yourself when you do these programs. To me the blue club was always the key - the faster I was dominant side with it, the faster I was with my driver.

I’m going to try a blue club warm up today at the range.

• Like 2

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

On 12/11/2019 at 10:27 PM, revkev said:

Agreed but also it seems to me that SuperSpeed goes for over kill. For example they acknowledge that two workouts per week may be as effective as three.

I think you have to ask questions and know yourself when you do these programs. To me the blue club was always the key - the faster I was dominant side with it, the faster I was with my driver.

Hmmm, the blue club thing is pretty interesting.  That's got me wondering if it possible to get stronger to the point where the red club feels like the blue club does now.  

• Like 1

It was not a good practice session at all in regards to speed. I will try it one more time in the future but at first blush I did not see the normal speed bump that I have when I’ve hit balls after doing a protocol in the past.

• Like 1

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

The weather has been gorgeous here (50+ degrees in December!), so I decided I would start over SuperSpeed training with their latest protocols a few weeks early since I could be outside. My first session was post-heavy lifting and running workout, so I'm pretty happy with these numbers.

image.png.71281864706970d07bc741eef4df1f27.png

Looking back on my numbers from mid-February, I'm about the same as I was after 4-5 sessions of my initial go around.

Now, only 17 more sessions to go in the first protocol! I'll be curious to see if there's any improvement the second time through. I was reading through some of SuperSpeed's tweets and it looks like some people have never stopped doing the first protocol and are still making small improvements.

• Like 3

I think the Blue is a big key with the protocol. I often find that I will swing the blue as fast as the green because of the added weight. I recently restarted after taking all summer and fall basically off. The biggest thing I have noticed is the marked improvement on my left side swings. When I first started the gap from right to left was 20+ mph, now it is 10+. Which I find funny considering all summer/fall i was swinging only righty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I do want us all to be sure that SuperSpeed Golf wanted our fastest swing - they never once suggested tracking “averages” between the swings. The goal is always - fastest - according to their system.

I understand that some want to track their averages but since this remains the official review thread it’s important to note that averages are contrary to their, SuperSpeed’s methodology. Testers were expected to track fastest speed, always.

• Like 3

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Alright Superspeed crew I have a question. I have been doing the protocol 2 days a week instead of 3 and am seeing what I believe to be a greater jump in numbers then I did when doing it 3 times a week. I remember hearing that 2 vs 3 days a week didnt show much variation in the superspeed data, does anyone recall something along those lines?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

has anyone found the swing speed radar cheaper than $100? or a cheaper alternative?

• Like 1

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

has anyone found the swing speed radar cheaper than $100? or a cheaper alternative?

The lowest I saw was $85 on eBay... but it went quick.

• Like 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats