TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

On consistency of speeds between swings or between days: I think one of the things that the radar has highlighted for me is the remarkable difficulty of being at peak performance day in and day out. The guys who do this for a living, in whatever sport, are doing something hard.

An update on me: I haven't done any SuperSpeed swings since my last update. I visited Topgolf last week, and I've been playing with my new SkyTrak, and the hand pain flares up every time. I hate the idea of totally shutting down golf swings for whatever length of time, but I'm starting to think that it might be necessary.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 hours ago, Calypso55 said:

Echoing what several of you are saying, there are swings when I feel like I've cut through the air faster than ever, only to be surprised that the numbers were lower than I expected.  Other times, I'm amazed that that last swing that I took registered as high as it did.

I think a lot of that has to do with the tension in my arms and my hands.  Those swings that feel like a really killed it are usually when I'm trying to use my arms (and consequently my hands) to generate more speed.  The looser my arms and the lighter my grip usually produces higher numbers. 

Same here on the feel of the swing speed versus the radar reading.  Good point on the arm tension, that's something I've been battling since I took up golf almost 3 years ago (along with starting my swing with a hip turn instead of my arms - I guess they are closely related).

My step swings are still a bit slower that my normal swings, I'm chalking that up to general un-coordination and not worrying about it. Another 64 weeks or so and I expect that to sort itself out.

Also, just wanted to mention that I hit 110 for the first time on one of my final 3 swings.  107 was my previous high.  Highest Blue swing is 98, highest Red 94, so I'm hopeful of cracking 100 on at least the Blue club pretty soon, and maybe even the Red in the not-to-distant future.

37 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

On consistency of speeds between swings or between days: I think one of the things that the radar has highlighted for me is the remarkable difficulty of being at peak performance day in and day out. The guys who do this for a living, in whatever sport, are doing something hard.

An update on me: I haven't done any SuperSpeed swings since my last update. I visited Topgolf last week, and I've been playing with my new SkyTrak, and the hand pain flares up every time. I hate the idea of totally shutting down golf swings for whatever length of time, but I'm starting to think that it might be necessary.

Have you had an orthopedist look at your hand?  I'm wondering it that might be tendinitis.  If it is, it's possible that the inflammation could be in your forearm.  You might be able to get some relief by massaging your forearm, especially if you notice some muscle knots or tender spots in there.

If it's any consolation, I've found that rest doesn't actually help my tendinitis, but on the flip side, playing through it doesn't generally bother me - my hand around the base of the thumb actually feels fine after a few swings, then bothers me a bit later.  Sometimes I take Advil before playing, that helps a bit.  I did some physical therapy a couple of years ago, but it didn't really help much.

On the other hand, if it's not tendinitis, probably best to address it sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, Mike Lambert said:

Have you had an orthopedist look at your hand?  I'm wondering it that might be tendinitis.  If it is, it's possible that the inflammation could be in your forearm.  You might be able to get some relief by massaging your forearm, especially if you notice some muscle knots or tender spots in there.

If it's any consolation, I've found that rest doesn't actually help my tendinitis, but on the flip side, playing through it doesn't generally bother me - my hand around the base of the thumb actually feels fine after a few swings, then bothers me a bit later.  Sometimes I take Advil before playing, that helps a bit.  I did some physical therapy a couple of years ago, but it didn't really help much.

On the other hand, if it's not tendinitis, probably best to address it sooner rather than later.

Mike, thanks for the advice. The pain, at its worst, runs from just under my wrist, up through the hand following the crease toward my thumb. I suspect (based on no expertise at all) that is a kind of tendinitis. (One forum user, who is qualified to have an opinion, suggested something similar to me in a DM.)

I'm turning 40 this summer. I saw a comic one time make the joke that getting old just means that you stop healing: "Ah man, banging my shin against the coffee table. I guess that's just going to hurt for the rest of my life." Maybe this is one of those things 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

26 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Mike, thanks for the advice. The pain, at its worst, runs from just under my wrist, up through the hand following the crease toward my thumb. I suspect (based on no expertise at all) that is a kind of tendinitis. (One forum user, who is qualified to have an opinion, suggested something similar to me in a DM.)

I'm turning 40 this summer. I saw a comic one time make the joke that getting old just means that you stop healing: "Ah man, banging my shin against the coffee table. I guess that's just going to hurt for the rest of my life." Maybe this is one of those things 🙂

Sure thing!  Hope it heals up soon whatever it is.  It sounds similar to what I feel - at it's worst, I can feel it at my left elbow, then at the knobby bone on my wrist and all around the base of my thumb, but concentrated mainly at the joint there the thumb connects to the hand.  

As someone who'll be 57 in March, I can confirm that not only is that comic right, but also things start to hurt for no apparent reason 😉

Edited by Mike Lambert

Question for the group here:  do you guys rest at all between sets of swings?  I've been just banging them out one set after the other, just stopping to write down the numbers and grab the next club.  Now that I think about, I should probably take a minute or two between sets, like with any other exercise.

Slow day at work, so my brain is looking for something to think about...

Question for the group here:  do you guys rest at all between sets of swings?  I've been just banging them out one set after the other, just stopping to write down the numbers and grab the next club.  Now that I think about, I should probably take a minute or two between sets, like with any other exercise.

Minimal rest here as I do a workout after my SS training. It’s a great warm up as I’m usually breathing hard and have a little sweat going from the constant swings.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

23 minutes ago, Mike Lambert said:

I stop just long enough to write down my numbers and I only write down numbers when I'm switching clubs. So I will take both right and left handed swings, stop write down both maximums, then move onto the next club and/or exercise. Even with no resting, I still find that my final swings with the lightest club are still my fastest throughout the session.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Sometimes there is a reason that God gave us the gift of winter  - at times.  Blessings on that hand - its best to totally heal first rather than causing an injury to linger - try shutting down for a couple of weeks and coming back slowly - you can always resume SuperSpeed once you are totally healthy.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

37 minutes ago, Mike Lambert said:

We have a variety of ages and fitness levels in the group so you may get a variety of answers here.  The only rest that I took in our first level was to write numbers in the switch between clubs - obviously that wasn't much of a rest and I got to where I could complete the entire protocol in 20 minutes. 

The kneeling swings really killed me.  I didn't have anything but a towel the first couple of weeks and I was in a good deal of pain the day after workouts.  Daisy and also Raven, my trainer for my fitness program, made several suggestions.  I started using a Pad for the kneeling swings.  I had a handful of almonds prior to working out and a portion of Greek Yogurt after the workout (was much better at reducing pain than advil or IBprofin and obviously healthier.)  Daisy, the SuperSpeed expert also suggest small rests between club switches - small.   There's no harm in regards to the program for we guys who are a bit longer in the tooth.

I hope that helps.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Like others said, I stop to record max speed after each club protocol. Only other time is if the dogs get too close and start yelling at me and the speed radar

IMG_20190113_160518_01.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

First of all, @GolfspyMPR I hope your arm and hand get to feeling better. Don't worry about taking the time off from the training. I agree with what was said about doing ice massages, they use them at work to help with the inflammation of the repetitive motions we do.
@yungkory, I hope you know your picture made me laugh out loud. Beautiful dog, by the way. I have a soft spot for animals.
@revkev, thank you for the comment about visualizing the shot. I'm a believer in always learning and your advice really hit the spot for revving (no pun intended) up my training this evening.

I picked the lone tree in the background and imagined myself hitting over it.
20190116_173810-01.jpeg

First swing yellow: 112
Best swing green: 113
Best swing blue: 109 (record)

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

8 hours ago, revkev said:

We have a variety of ages and fitness levels in the group so you may get a variety of answers here.  The only rest that I took in our first level was to write numbers in the switch between clubs - obviously that wasn't much of a rest and I got to where I could complete the entire protocol in 20 minutes. 

The kneeling swings really killed me.  I didn't have anything but a towel the first couple of weeks and I was in a good deal of pain the day after workouts.  Daisy and also Raven, my trainer for my fitness program, made several suggestions.  I started using a Pad for the kneeling swings.  I had a handful of almonds prior to working out and a portion of Greek Yogurt after the workout (was much better at reducing pain than advil or IBprofin and obviously healthier.)  Daisy, the SuperSpeed expert also suggest small rests between club switches - small.   There's no harm in regards to the program for we guys who are a bit longer in the tooth.

I hope that helps.

I remember reading a while back about the kneeling swings being tough on the knees and SS sending you guys the kneeling pads.  I actually bought one last month so that I'm ready to go next week when I start the kneeling swings myself.

I haven't heard before that Greek yogurt is good at reducing pain, I'll have to give that a try (with some blueberries mixed in of course!).  I keep the ibuprofin at a minimum since I understand it can be tough on the liver is you take it a lot.

I'll experiment a little with a 1 or 2 minute rest between clubs to see if that makes any difference.  My teeth aren't too long just yet (coming up on 57), so that should be plenty.

I have started trying to take a drink of water in between each club in order to not tire myself out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

12 hours ago, Mike Lambert said:

Well, I'm 71 and out of shape.  I don't rest between sets; like others only stopping to record numbers.  Even on days when it's below 40º, I work up a sweat wearing 3 layers of clothes.

I haven't had any trouble with the kneeling sets, and I had my left knee replaced in 2014.  Speeds are relatively consistent from one club to another and about half the time, my non-dominant swing is the fastest.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I appreciate everyone's answers to Mike's question but I want to be sure that we also note that the authority, Daisy, said that it is okay to rest - in fact she is the one who suggested it when my speeds were lagging a bit at the start of level two.  As I recall she mentioned a rest period of something like 20 seconds.  Take that or leave it but it is what the expert suggested.

While I'd hate to see anyone make it their norm Kyle also stated that two workouts in a week are the minimum to increase and maintain speed, three is preferred however - this was when I had the head cold and also work was so hectic that it was a real struggle to fit workouts in.  I did have two such two session weeks - not in succession but interspersed during the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I feel badly about that but life made it that way - SuperSpeed is a marathon - there will be slower miles caused by the obstacles that pop up along the way. 🙂

So @ Mike I think its very safe to take little breaks between clubs or even between swings, I followed the SuperSpeed trainers suggestion and my increases have been spot on what SuperSpeed touts.  I don't know what the impact of a minute break would be however, none of us have tried that and that is not an interval that SuperSpeed mentioned.  I know that they don't mind questions, why not reach out to them for an answer to that question?  We'd all love to hear both the answer and your experience with their customer service.

I recently read a great comment from my fitness group through work.  To get fit you don't have to be perfect - just better than what you were doing before - keep getting better at it and you will become more fit.

Most of us have lifestyles that make it impossible to be perfect in our SuperSpeed workouts - we have dogs (love that picture), and cats and kids and spouses and day jobs.  Most of us never did anything to try and increase our swing speed so doing something like this as close to optimally as possible for us - will increase our driver SS.

Finally I will add that the SuperSpeed Golf team appears to be dedicated to bringing its program to golfers like us.  Most of the players they've worked with in the past have had access to high tech means of testing golf swings - things like ground interaction, swing sequencing, etc.  They recognize that we don't so they've developed simple tests for us to use in determining what special drills we will add into our level 3 protocols in order to help increase our SS's further.  It's pretty cool to be working with a group that gets our limitations.  It's very cool to realize that we are a test group not only for helping the consumer but for helping the OEM in improving it's product and service.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

23 hours ago, revkev said:

Sometimes there is a reason that God gave us the gift of winter

You lost me with that statement, especially as 1-2 feet of snow is supposedly on the way this weekend. 😉😀 But, yeah, you have an excellent point.

Just the other day my wife and I were discussing moving to warmer climates the second we retire.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

4 hours ago, revkev said:

I appreciate everyone's answers to Mike's question but I want to be sure that we also note that the authority, Daisy, said that it is okay to rest - in fact she is the one who suggested it when my speeds were lagging a bit at the start of level two.  As I recall she mentioned a rest period of something like 20 seconds.  Take that or leave it but it is what the expert suggested.

While I'd hate to see anyone make it their norm Kyle also stated that two workouts in a week are the minimum to increase and maintain speed, three is preferred however - this was when I had the head cold and also work was so hectic that it was a real struggle to fit workouts in.  I did have two such two session weeks - not in succession but interspersed during the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I feel badly about that but life made it that way - SuperSpeed is a marathon - there will be slower miles caused by the obstacles that pop up along the way. 🙂

So @ Mike I think its very safe to take little breaks between clubs or even between swings, I followed the SuperSpeed trainers suggestion and my increases have been spot on what SuperSpeed touts.  I don't know what the impact of a minute break would be however, none of us have tried that and that is not an interval that SuperSpeed mentioned.  I know that they don't mind questions, why not reach out to them for an answer to that question?  We'd all love to hear both the answer and your experience with their customer service.

I recently read a great comment from my fitness group through work.  To get fit you don't have to be perfect - just better than what you were doing before - keep getting better at it and you will become more fit.

Most of us have lifestyles that make it impossible to be perfect in our SuperSpeed workouts - we have dogs (love that picture), and cats and kids and spouses and day jobs.  Most of us never did anything to try and increase our swing speed so doing something like this as close to optimally as possible for us - will increase our driver SS.

Finally I will add that the SuperSpeed Golf team appears to be dedicated to bringing its program to golfers like us.  Most of the players they've worked with in the past have had access to high tech means of testing golf swings - things like ground interaction, swing sequencing, etc.  They recognize that we don't so they've developed simple tests for us to use in determining what special drills we will add into our level 3 protocols in order to help increase our SS's further.  It's pretty cool to be working with a group that gets our limitations.  It's very cool to realize that we are a test group not only for helping the consumer but for helping the OEM in improving it's product and service.

Great points... as usual, especially about the SuperSpeed Golf support.  I have to qualify my post that I don't rest between sets.  I don't "take a rest", but the action of getting the pen and notebook open, plus changing clubs is probably 20 seconds.  For setting up for the kneeling sets and then changing back to the double step swings, it's a little longer changing out the pad... maybe 30 seconds.  I don't think a minute break would be beneficial.  My fastest swings have come with the lightest club immediately after swinging the heavy club.  I think a longer rest after the heavy club would not give optimal results with the lightest club, but I have no facts to back up that statement.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Likewise for me Kenny - many if not most of my fastest swings have come on those last three green or lightest club swings.  The only break there is to write down the heavy club swings.

I think Superspeed anticipates that our fastest swings will come from the step change or now double step moves - I don't seem to have the co-ordination to pull that off although my very fastest swing - 114 came on a step change - my fastest blue - 110 was on a regular and likewise red 103.

Maybe I will hit new highs today.  I feel well rested and haven't had that demanding a day - I'm out of here at 3!!!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

6 hours ago, revkev said:

Thanks for your thoughtful response, that was really a great post RevKev!  That makes a lot of sense, especially not having to be perfect, just better than before.  

Thanks also to everyone else that replied too.  I'm going to keep on doing what I have been, which it stopping just long enough to jot down my numbers, maybe take a few sips of water, and grab the next club.  But if I notice a good size drop-off in speed, I'll take a 1 minute break and see if that makes a difference.

11 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Stage 2 is up!!

Nicely done.  It'll be interesting to see what people think of the program once it warms up across the US and we can all play in "normal" temperatures.  I'm excited to get out of my basement and on to a real course (or even the driving range).

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200

Nice job Kenny!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

OK, just finished level 1:

2019-01-18_9-03-04.jpg.53642f757926cb4e0c64928d7af385f8.jpg

Those driver swings were without actually hitting a ball (but then again, so was the initial 84).  It'll be interesting to see how that translates to real life, I imagine I'll have to remind myself to swing fast, not to mention practice to maintain control.  If that translates to about 90, I'll be very happy.  My goal when I started was to get to around 90 when I can start playing again in early to mid April, it seems like I'm about there already.  On to phase 2 to start to lock in these gains!

Edited by Mike Lambert

Does anyone listen to music while they do the training protocols?  I didn't for the first 6-8 weeks but have since then and found it's a great way to keep my energy up and stay motivated.  I have no evidence it actually increases my speeds at all, but it does seem to make training more fun.

2 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Does anyone listen to music while they do the training protocols?  I didn't for the first 6-8 weeks but have since then and found it's a great way to keep my energy up and stay motivated.  I have no evidence it actually increases my speeds at all, but it does seem to make training more fun.

I definitely do. Just like if I were at the gym!

My bag is a revolving door!

@BuckyCC, I haven't listened to music doing the protocols, yet. But since you mentioned it, I might just have to. Just need to remember to charge the wireless ear buds because I only think of them at the most inconvenient times.

I just finished week number 16. I got an email from Daisy where she told me she saw somewhere I could improve my numbers....my yellow club. She encouraged me to ramp up the speed as this club is used to really prime the body for the rest of the workout. You'll notice in my numbers that I'm as fast or faster with my green club. I'm working to improve that, but for some reason I just don't get along with it as well as my other clubs. But, this training is all about improvement and I am intent on getting faster with it.

I had a great week training, I matched or exceeded four previous speeds, all with the green and blue clubs.

Screenshot_20190118-164950_Excel-01.jpeg

The one I'm most proud of is hitting 109 with my heaviest club. My next goal is to see the radar with the number 120 on it.

The double step is becoming more fluid and I'm seeing better speeds, but all the fastest swings this week are normal ones.

@MikeLambert, keep up the great work! Those driver swing speeds without a ball are awesome! I don't think you'll have any problem reaching your target of 90 mph when there's a ball there. Everything I've heard and read has said that you're actually slower when swinging without a ball. I'm really curious to see where you're at.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great job finishing level one, Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches