2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×
hckymeyer

Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

IMG_1381.thumb.JPG.5175bdcd6ffc0bed6e785a62062249c4.JPG

My week two is in the books. I’m a year older than when it started and significantly faster with the lightest, green stick, all colors left handed and step throughs.

Interestingly my fastest swing was the last one of the week at 109 nearly 20 percent over my initial driver speed of 91.

In fact my last three swings were 107, 103, 109. Not bad! I believe I reached those numbers because I visualized the step through will executing a traditional swing. The swings were as fast as I could make them but I really felt as if I could have hit shots with them if I had driver in hand.

I’m not quite where I should be with the blue and red clubs according to the promotional material but I’m convinced that’s in my head.

I intend to hit the range tomorrow. I will be interested to see how I hit it and if there is any residual SS gain starting to emerge - there should be.

Also I’m with the other testers who love the dynamic warm up. I have every intention of using that as a part of my warm up to play or practice.

Finally I know that Daisy lives in the part of Florida impacted by Michael. I hope and pray that she’s okay and that none of her property was damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

Interesting reading the SuperSpeed Case Study up on the blog this morning (https://mygolfspy.com/case-study-superspeed-golf-training-system/). I realized after reading this though that I may have misunderstood the Before/After Driver speeds from the recording chart. In the blog they talk about the SuperSpeed training cycle with speed Jumps, Normalization, and Plateaus. Since I am not able to record a ball striking Driver speed immediately after my training sessions, and am instead measuring a before and after each week (not after a session) I cannot calculate a "jump" speed.

Is anyone recording their Driver swing speed before and after each session?

Also for reference, here is the training cycle chart from the blog:

Capture.JPG

• Like 3

But we are also testing their new protocol Kegger so it could be different for us than this.

I also wondered about it.

We do have those last three swings with the green club in our protocol - that may be how we are measuring the jump - I hope so because the last two sessions I’ve seen significant gains in SS and yesterday my last swing was my fastest swing. My jump was 5.1 mph yesterday on the 3 swing average from the first time through with the green.

The thing that I appreciated about the blog post was that it was a reminder that we are retraining our brains. That’s going to take time.

• Like 2

Just finished week 2 of the Level 1 protocol.  My max speed with the lightest club (green) were actually down for both my right and left-handed swings.  I'm guessing this had to do with the fact that one of my sessions was a couple of hours after walking 18 holes, and another session was done at 6am after staying up a bit too late the night before.  Like any workout program there are going to be good days and bad days.

I was happy to see increases in the Blue and Red clubs so the week wasn't a total washout.

week 2 results.JPG

I've played two rounds since starting the training program.  Both times I started poorly off the tee, but after a few holes caught myself trying to go for max speed rather than a controlled drive in the fairway.  After recognizing what I was doing my tee game was back to normal.  Unfortunately it's been very wet here the last few weeks so I couldn't compare drive distance accurately since there was little to no roll.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 02uwmadgrad said:

Just finished week 2 of the Level 1 protocol.  My max speed with the lightest club (green) were actually down for both my right and left-handed swings.  I'm guessing this had to do with the fact that one of my sessions was a couple of hours after walking 18 holes, and another session was done at 6am after staying up a bit too late the night before.  Like any workout program there are going to be good days and bad days.

I was happy to see increases in the Blue and Red clubs so the week wasn't a total washout.

week 2 results.JPG

I've played two rounds since starting the training program.  Both times I started poorly off the tee, but after a few holes caught myself trying to go for max speed rather than a controlled drive in the fairway.  After recognizing what I was doing my tee game was back to normal.  Unfortunately it's been very wet here the last few weeks so I couldn't compare drive distance accurately since there was little to no roll.

Remember, Daisy said to NOT do the Protocol after playing.  Great numbers BTW!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Remember, Daisy said to NOT do the Protocol after playing.  Great numbers BTW!!

You sound like my wife!  I knew I shouldn't do the training after playing, but it was the only time I could get it in without falling behind schedule.  I guess that's what makes us such great test subjects for this.  Sure a pro golfer can see amazing speed increases when they have a tightly controlled routine, but what happens when regular people with unpredictable schedules take on the program?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, revkev said:

But we are also testing their new protocol Kegger so it could be different for us than this.

The chart is definitely referencing their new protocol. The Levels, and their associated week, line up with the new information, not the old. In the end, the final numbers will still match up, we just won't be able to show a pretty graph with before and after session numbers, so we won't see the "jump". Our graphs will just be a single line showing our overall speed increase over time, which, let's be honest, that's what everyone here cares about!

• Like 1

Week two is done! I've seen a pretty good jump in my left handed swing, I think I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with it and my body seems to be adjusting to it. The soreness has dissipated a lot, I can't say enough about the dynamic warm-up. I'm actually closer to touching my toes!

I only saw a 1-3 mph increase in my swings right handed over the first week, but the eleven hour work days are taxing. The good thing is, SuperSpeed is a 72 week program so I'm confident I'll see some good gains.

I have to put in a 5 hour day at work tomorrow, then it's off to the golf course. One of the best things about SuperSpeed is I can justify playing to the wife. Science, baby! I'll be taking the radar and check for any gains.20181012_194646.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

I just finished my second round after starting the SuperSpeed program. My swing speed actually regressed with my driver. Over eight holes that I recorded my speed, my average was 89 mph. That's my starting speed, I had a high of 92 and a low of 87.

The positive thing is, you don't have a permanent jump in speed until after the sixth week. It could also have something to do with playing after work. It was a long week, sixty hours after it was all said and done.

The concerns about driver accuracy are starting to go away, as it was back to normal. My accuracy had a long way to go to be great, but the dispersion seemed to be better.

I'm still positive that SuperSpeed will be a positive change in my game. It's a 72 week program and changes are not going to happen overnight. I'll start week 3 in the morning. It's a fun program and I'm looking forward to sharing it with all of you.

• Like 1

You sound like my wife!  I knew I shouldn't do the training after playing, but it was the only time I could get it in without falling behind schedule.  I guess that's what makes us such great test subjects for this.  Sure a pro golfer can see amazing speed increases when they have a tightly controlled routine, but what happens when regular people with unpredictable schedules take on the program?

I think this is exactly right. MGS did a great job with this group. We have a variety of jobs and schedules as well as ages and locations. I could imagine a scenario where I play and then do the protocol. I’m trying hard to avoid that but it’s hard to imagine going 6 weeks without it happening at least once.

No one else has commented on this but I’m not having any soreness afterwards now. The last two sessions my fastest swing was my last one.

I’m off Thursday through Sunday this week. I intend to do the protocol on Thursday morning and then head to Bayou and play a few holes in the afternoon just to see what that’s like.

• Like 2

I think this is exactly right. MGS did a great job with this group. We have a variety of jobs and schedules as well as ages and locations. I could imagine a scenario where I play and then do the protocol. I’m trying hard to avoid that but it’s hard to imagine going 6 weeks without it happening at least once.

No one else has commented on this but I’m not having any soreness afterwards now. The last two sessions my fastest swing was my last one.

I’m off Thursday through Sunday this week. I intend to do the protocol on Thursday morning and then head to Bayou and play a few holes in the afternoon just to see what that’s like.

Have fun out on the course and hit them long and straight.
I went back and looked through my book and saw that you are pretty much spot on about the last 3. Out of seven sessions so far, my last set held the fastest speed five times. My last 3 this morning were 103, 103, 104. These are my fastest so far in the testing. I even hit 100 during the step change left handed with the lightest club. That's a personal best.

• Like 1

you guys are mentioning that the soreness is gone now after 2 weeks into the program. 

I wonder if that is a good thing?

With exercising and say for this purpose let's compare it to jogging. As one jogs and conituously does the same route and same mileage, there comes a point where he is no longer taxing his body,  hence the benefits start diminishing. So the jogger starts going for the extra miles and now once again is feeling exhausted and getting sore again. The benefits are now starting again.- cardio and leg muscles. and the same principle can be applied to say weight lifting. when you start lifting the same weight effortlessly, their no longer is a benefit to what he is trying to achieve. 

As you progress do the reps increase or does the length of the workout increase? 

BTW, you guys have my admiration and respect for doing this. It is not easy to commit to a fitness program and stick with the regiment. Kudos to you all.

Keep it up.

• Like 2

you guys are mentioning that the soreness is gone now after 2 weeks into the program. 

I wonder if that is a good thing?

With exercising and say for this purpose let's compare it to jogging. As one jogs and conituously does the same route and same mileage, there comes a point where he is no longer taxing his body,  hence the benefits start diminishing. So the jogger starts going for the extra miles and now once again is feeling exhausted and getting sore again. The benefits are now starting again.- cardio and leg muscles. and the same principle can be applied to say weight lifting. when you start lifting the same weight effortlessly, their no longer is a benefit to what he is trying to achieve. 

As you progress do the reps increase or does the length of the workout increase? 

BTW, you guys have my admiration and respect for doing this. It is not easy to commit to a fitness program and stick with the regiment. Kudos to you all.

Keep it up.

Thanks for following along Har, and I'm enjoying reading about the Ping i500 test, you guys are knocking it out of the park.

To answer your question, the protocols will change to add more reps. The level 1 protocol is 3 reps each side from light to medium to heavy doing regular swings and a step change.

I'll add in, a lot of my soreness is from swinging left handed. My lower back near my hip is not used to that kind of torque with the acceleration and deceleration. If you saw my swing speeds, you would ask, what torque? There's no torque that slow.

I hope this helps answer your question, there's no doubt we'll have some new soreness coming up in a few weeks. The dynamic warm-up is also great for getting our bodies ready for each session.

Can't wait to read your stage 2, you have me curious about what you hit 200 yards. I appreciate you following along.

• Like 2

looking good fellas, sounds like the winter months will see a significant increase in speed if the superspeed chart is accurate about a jump at month 4-6 after a plateau initially.

Best time to work on it I think, then the sequencing can 'marry up' early spring.

• Like 2

@ Har in the Hat

Super Speed is not about fitness it is about retraining the mind to allow the body to swing the club faster.  Because golf is a physical activity and especially because we often fail to train our non-dominant muscle groups it makes sense that there would be some initial soreness - stuff is being used that here to fore hasn't.  Physical conditioning though is not the goal.  I know that we had a bit of difficulty understanding this as a group at first so it's important to communicate that here as often as possible.

I might add that the case study in the blog was informative in this regard.  The professional golfer in question had spent a year doing physical training to increase his SS with very little result.  He has had a great experience with SS. 

Future protocols do add additional drills but I believe these are added to allow us to swing faster still and continue to reprogram our minds to swinging at a higher rate.  It's hard to describe the feeling of your SS going from around 90 to almost 110 in a couple of weeks even if that higher speed is with a lighter non-club and doesn't hold.  It feels very strange and really powerful.  I don't know that I ever swung a club that fast given that when I was young enough to we still had wooden drivers with very heavy metal shafts (or the earlier advent of metal woods like the things that Nifty keeps showing us)  I know that my SS was in the low/mid 100's in the early 2000's - that's when I started paying attention to those things so I'm faster with the lightest, green club, now than I was with a driver then. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, revkev said:

It's hard to describe the feeling of your SS going from around 90 to almost 110 in a couple of weeks even if that higher speed is with a lighter non-club and doesn't hold.  It feels very strange and really powerful.  I don't know that I ever swung a club that fast given that when I was young enough to we still had wooden drivers with very heavy metal shafts (or the earlier advent of metal woods like the things that Nifty keeps showing us)  I know that my SS was in the low/mid 100's in the early 2000's - that's when I started paying attention to those things so I'm faster with the lightest, green club, now than I was with a driver then. 

This! I am definitely swinging much faster now than I have ever done previously. I noticed yesterday on the course that my practice driver swing is A LOT faster than it was previously. My club head is making quite a bit different sound through the air than it used to. Unfortunately, my brain still gets messed up by that stupid little ball on the tee and I'm not experiencing the same speed when actually swinging at the ball (yet). I feel like I should start teeing up a ball when I'm doing the SuperSpeed protocol just so I can get my brain used to seeing a ball while I'm swinging fast... I just need to make sure I don't hit it!

• Like 4

looking good fellas, sounds like the winter months will see a significant increase in speed if the superspeed chart is accurate about a jump at month 4-6 after a plateau initially.
Best time to work on it I think, then the sequencing can 'marry up' early spring.
I'm glad you mentioned sequencing. That's been on my mind a lot the last couple of days. I've never taken a lesson and doing the step change I've noticed a difference on how the hips are firing. I can't seem to make progress with the regular swing, but the step change, oh yeah.

There's only between a 2 and 5 percent increase in my normal swings with all the SS clubs, on average. Guess I need to ingrain that feeling from the step change.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kegger said:

This! I am definitely swinging much faster now than I have ever done previously. I noticed yesterday on the course that my practice driver swing is A LOT faster than it was previously. My club head is making quite a bit different sound through the air than it used to. Unfortunately, my brain still gets messed up by that stupid little ball on the tee and I'm not experiencing the same speed when actually swinging at the ball (yet). I feel like I should start teeing up a ball when I'm doing the SuperSpeed protocol just so I can get my brain used to seeing a ball while I'm swinging fast... I just need to make sure I don't hit it!

This is interesting, and I suspect that you're not alone in this. One challenge with any swing change or training aid is keeping the change when the swing focus changes. It's easier to shallow a swing plane, for instance, on a practice swing, and then abandon that motion altogether when you actually have to get a ball on target. I have no doubt the same thing is true with the SuperSpeed system, when trying to make shots on a course.

So here's a thought (I wish we had a rep from SuperSpeed in this thread to answer questions): would there be any value in an underweighted club that could hit balls? It would seem that something like this could help on the range with the transition from the target-less full-bore swings of the practice sticks to an actual club. Has anyone done something like this?

• Like 1

Does anyone notice that when you are swinging with the monitor right in front of you, the number pops up, you tend to try and swing harder to beat that number?  And of course in doing so, the number is actually less.  I tend to swing harder for some reason.  But when I don't look at that the number and just swing, the numbers actually stay the same or even higher.  I guess that's the training of the brain?  Thoughts?

Also, my first round over the weekend didn't go as well as I'd hoped.  I was all over the place with all the clubs distance wise.  

• Like 3