TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 PGA Tour Equipment Changes (Rumors)

null

The big rumor making the rounds is TaylorMade will be letting Justin Rose's contract expire and will not be trying to re-sign him.

Mark King, formerly of TaylorMade, now has a prominent role at Honma and the rumor is Justin will be joining him

I heard this a couple weeks ago, thought something might come out after the Ryder Cup.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Taylormade would be foolish not to offer him again unless they know something behind the scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Taylormade would be foolish not to offer him again unless they know something behind the scenes.

They haven't too much money tied up in Tiger, Rory, DJ, Day and Rahm.

And Rose is probably the least marketable of the group (in the US)

8 hours ago, foreverdank said:

It’s a Tiger thing

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

??

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Taylormade letting Sergio and Rosie go... emoji24.png

I’d surely keep him over Rahmbo.... unless they are signing Tommy Fleetwood or something.

Rose is one of the first people I associate Taylormade with.

Too bad.

I don't know, Rose isn't super marketable in the US. You would know DJ, Rory, Tiger over Rose. 

Rose isn't exactly a long driver, which I bet is more marketing tactic than you'd think. TM's biggest selling product is drivers so thinking they are longest on tour is a bigger selling point than OWGR. 

He just isn't the same level of celebrity in the US. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

They do sell clubs in other parts of the world.

One word. FLEETWOOD

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

True... but what about taking care of the people who have been loyal for years?

I hear ya but All TM cares about is profit. Fleetwood will draw new blood. Anyone that Rose drew a few years ago, is probably a TM player for life. 

I hear ya but All TM cares about is profit. Fleetwood will draw new blood. Anyone that Rose drew a few years ago, is probably a TM player for life. 

Or would they follow Justin? I know Sergio turned a few heads when he switched to Callaway, if Rose were to go Rogue (get it? Rogue...) then that could shift market share a tad. I’m pretty sure Taylormade is way ahead of this Texas boy but you never know...

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

7 hours ago, Shankster said:

Loyalty doesn’t mate unless you are tiger. Rose isn’t doing anything to help them sell clubs. 

6 hours ago, GB13 said:

It’s definitely a money thing and probably making room for a more marketable name. What business isn’t in it for a profit?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yeah, for better or worse, it is a money thing. If a guy is getting six or seven figures to endorse a product, he has to be bringing in more than that (in some way) to justify his pay. There are a lot of golfers (most of which have no business doing so) who think they want to play what Tiger has in his bag. I'd love for TaylorMade to release their Ardmore sales data from this summer.

But the number of golfers who have that effect are tiny, and OEMs are realizing it. They want presence on Tour, which validates their product, but having a whole stable of "flagship" guys, some of which don't contribute to the bottom line, is decreasingly viable.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

11 hours ago, Shankster said:

And that's where the big corporate decisions can sting. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

And that's where the big corporate decisions can sting. 

Terrible.

But... if they make the “Tiger” irons I see a lot of old Nike staffers playing them, like Tommy... you’d have to pry them out of his hands I think.

Wish the best for Mr. Rose if it does come down to it, please don’t go to Callaway.

27 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Terrible.

But... if they make the “Tiger” irons I see a lot of old Nike staffers playing them, like Tommy... you’d have to pry them out of his hands I think.

Wish the best for Mr. Rose if it does come down to it, please don’t go to Callaway.

He is going to Honma

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

31 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Terrible.

Mike Taylor, Nate Radcliff, Tom Stites and the others at The Oven really knew something about making golf clubs after all.  It's fun seeing those clubs still in the hands of guys that are winning. With that, I hope JRose ends up going with a mixed bag.

P.S.  If anyone has VR Pro blades lying around, please send them to Tommy Fleetwood.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I mean, here's the thing. We're coming of the heels of the "year of the free agent" right? All the major winners did so without a major equipment contract and only apparel, ironically all Nike. Players are more likely to sign an apparel contract and play what they want then go into full bag deals, because those have dried up for all but the biggest stars and it makes sense from a marketing standpoint as well. If I'm watching a telecast, I can see Tiger wearing the Swoosh, or Sergio in the three stripes, of Rickie with the P or Jordan with the UA logo. What I might not see is the TM stamping on a wedge or an iron. The visibility of the brand on the apparel side is more valuable that the club side and with only 1 major clothing brand locked into equipment ownership (Puma/Cobra) I think it's more likely to see more of these deals going forward.

It'll be more interesting from the club side of things because that means more and different brands might get a boost from a player if they can make it work, even if they can't exactly use that person in advertising. Still though, people are smart enough to figure out who Mizuno was talking about when they said the JPX 900 Tours were played by the 2017 and 2018 US Open Champion. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

12 minutes ago, bergtaur said:

If I'm watching a telecast, I can see Tiger wearing the Swoosh, or Sergio in the three stripes, of Rickie with the P or Jordan with the UA logo. What I might not see is the TM stamping on a wedge or an iron.

There have certainly been some designs of clubs that would be identifiable on TV. TaylorMade has done this well with their woods: first the all-white, then the white-and-black. Nike had this going on with their blue woods. And TaylorMade also nailed this with the red Spiders (with Odyssey scrambling to match). But you're absolutely correct on your point, especially with irons and wedges. Almost anything that would be noticeable on TV that would look awful in person. Possible exceptions: Rickie's black Cobra irons (but they don't scream Cobra). Did any tour pro ever game Mizuno's blue wedges?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

30 minutes ago, mpatrickriley said:

There have certainly been some designs of clubs that would be identifiable on TV. TaylorMade has done this well with their woods: first the all-white, then the white-and-black. Nike had this going on with their blue woods. And TaylorMade also nailed this with the red Spiders (with Odyssey scrambling to match). But you're absolutely correct on your point, especially with irons and wedges. Almost anything that would be noticeable on TV that would look awful in person. Possible exceptions: Rickie's black Cobra irons (but they don't scream Cobra). Did any tour pro ever game Mizuno's blue wedges?

Plus, another thought in this space. With the rise of social media influencers like Shiels/Crossfield/TXG/Finch/MAMG/RG who club test, the rise of information through sites like this informing people of clubs that produce results from brands they may not realize, the continued and now accepted importance of fitting and word of mouth reviews from folks, the era of the pro staffer having influence over the core golfer is over.

Sadly for most companies, the number of recreational golfers who is just looking to play the clubs the pros play is shrinking every year and knowing that they may not move the needle as much in hardgoods, where margins are tighter compared to softgoods where margins rise, means the apparel contract is more valuable.

Lastly, as mentioned on this site, golfers are creatures of habit. I don't think seeing a pro switching brands is going to move so many people over to that brand, so why splash the cash for a negative return on investment.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

1 hour ago, bergtaur said:

I mean, here's the thing. We're coming of the heels of the "year of the free agent" right? All the major winners did so without a major equipment contract and only apparel, ironically all Nike. Players are more likely to sign an apparel contract and play what they want then go into full bag deals, because those have dried up for all but the biggest stars and it makes sense from a marketing standpoint as well. If I'm watching a telecast, I can see Tiger wearing the Swoosh, or Sergio in the three stripes, of Rickie with the P or Jordan with the UA logo. What I might not see is the TM stamping on a wedge or an iron. The visibility of the brand on the apparel side is more valuable that the club side and with only 1 major clothing brand locked into equipment ownership (Puma/Cobra) I think it's more likely to see more of these deals going forward.

It'll be more interesting from the club side of things because that means more and different brands might get a boost from a player if they can make it work, even if they can't exactly use that person in advertising. Still though, people are smart enough to figure out who Mizuno was talking about when they said the JPX 900 Tours were played by the 2017 and 2018 US Open Champion. 

All the Nine guys are still playing under their Nime equipment contracts. Nike allowed them to play whatever they wanted til their contract ran out. If they signed a deal before that thine then there was a reduction on the money Nike was paying so from a money standpoint it was better to not sign a deal for most.

it will be interesting to see where they eventually go

After listening to the MyGolfSpy Insider podcast today with Chris Voshall.
I can't wait to hear what happens in the coming months with Mizuno.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

24 minutes ago, bergtaur said:

Plus, another thought in this space. With the rise of social media influencers like Shiels/Crossfield/TXG/Finch/MAMG/RG who club test, the rise of information through sites like this informing people of clubs that produce results from brands they may not realize, the continued and now accepted importance of fitting and word of mouth reviews from folks, the era of the pro staffer having influence over the core golfer is over.

Sadly for most companies, the number of recreational golfers who is just looking to play the clubs the pros play is shrinking every year and knowing that they may not move the needle as much in hardgoods, where margins are tighter compared to softgoods where margins rise, means the apparel contract is more valuable.

Lastly, as mentioned on this site, golfers are creatures of habit. I don't think seeing a pro switching brands is going to move so many people over to that brand, so why splash the cash for a negative return on investment.

Well put!

Maybe if the manufacturers spent less money on pros and diverted that money to development with the end goal of getting good (independent) ratings from the popular online places, they would be better off.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Well put!
Maybe if the manufacturers spent less money on pros and diverted that money to development with the end goal of getting good (independent) ratings from the popular online places, they would be better off.
They spheres of influence shifted. Callaway was the first golf company to realize that and they rode their new marketing strategy to the top

Personally, I think you are overestimating the number of “knowledgeable” golfers that use the various review sites and forums. Most golfers still walk into shops uneducated and wanting to play the equipment they saw in TV. The Payment to tee player is so the company can use their name instead of the generic out product was used by someone that finished in x position during the tournament. Also, they are hoping for the right camera angle in TV to show their product logo. The payment to players is probably a small part of the various advertising outlets that each company uses.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, jlukes said:
2 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:
Well put!

They spheres of influence shifted. Callaway was the first golf company to realize that and they rode their new marketing strategy to the top

Have you seen the number of players across all tours with a Callaway logo somewhere on them to include long drive competitors. They may not be paying all of them a lot but they have an astronomically huge marketing budget.  Might be why their gear keeps losing out in various mgs testing

Archived