TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 PGA Tour Equipment Changes (Rumors)

null

30 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Personally, I think you are overestimating the number of “knowledgeable” golfers that use the various review sites and forums. Most golfers still walk into shops uneducated and wanting to play the equipment they saw in TV. The Payment to tee player is so the company can use their name instead of the generic out product was used by someone that finished in x position during the tournament. Also, they are hoping for the right camera angle in TV to show their product logo. The payment to players is probably a small part of the various advertising outlets that each company uses.

Well Cnosil, I can speak only from the experience I had in working at Dick's for nearly 4 years. In my experiences, people were more interested in the newer stuff not because of tour validation, but because of slick advertising, which is in my mind a completely different issue. I did also notice that players did become more aware of outside brands as my time worn on at Dick's asking about Edel, Wilson, Evnroll, Mizuno, Tour Edge and others while the company went to a minimized approach that featured in lower tier stores like mine only TM, Callaway, and some sparce Ping plus store branded clubs from Top Flite and Tommy Armour. So I did see a change, maybe not a widespread across the industry type change, but a slight shift toward more independent validation through fittings and testings and research. Sadly, with our limited options we could only do so much.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Have you seen the number of players across all tours with a Callaway logo somewhere on them to include long drive competitors. They may not be paying all of them a lot but they have an astronomically huge marketing budget.  Might be why their gear keeps losing out in various mgs testing

Large marketing budget, yes, but it's different. 

It's not about big name deals.  It is about exposure.  Lots of "mid card" guys playing their gear and wearing their logo.  The Links at Petco Park.  Part ownership of Top Golf.  Callaway Talks. Fitting Room show on Siriux XM PGA Tour Radio.

The traditional marketing model of just paying big names on tour is dead and Callaway adapted to that and they are absolutely killing it right now.  And I say that as someone that has no Callaway gear and no desire to game any callaway gear

Oh and according to MGS testing Callaway has the 

#1 Driver for SS from 90-105 MPH

#1 Driver for SS from 105+ MPH

#2 Hybrid
#2 Fairway Wood

#2 Blade Putter

So your comment about losing out in various MGS testing is incorrect

4 hours ago, jlukes said:

Large marketing budget, yes, but it's different. 

It's not about big name deals.  It is about exposure.  Lots of "mid card" guys playing their gear and wearing their logo.  The Links at Petco Park.  Part ownership of Top Golf.  Callaway Talks. Fitting Room show on Siriux XM PGA Tour Radio.

The traditional marketing model of just paying big names on tour is dead and Callaway adapted to that and they are absolutely killing it right now.  And I say that as someone that has no Callaway gear and no desire to game any callaway gear

Oh and according to MGS testing Callaway has the 

#1 Driver for SS from 90-105 MPH

#1 Driver for SS from 105+ MPH

#2 Hybrid
#2 Fairway Wood

#2 Blade Putter

So your comment about losing out in various MGS testing is incorrect

As I said they aren’t probably paying them a lot. Yes it’s a different strategy and they are effective at it as they should be.

i didn’t say they lost every testing and it’s funny  you post #2 results which isn’t winning last time I checked.

you may not have any Callaway or want to play it but you have been a recipient of free full bag of clubs from as well as an all expenses paid trip where you were fitted for that full bag and had the opportunity to play an exclusive private club. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As I said they aren’t probably paying them a lot. Yes it’s a different strategy and they are effective at it as they should be.
i didn’t say they lost every testing and it’s funny  you post #2 results which isn’t winning last time I checked.
you may not have any Callaway or want to play it but you have been a recipient of free full bag of clubs from as well as an all expenses paid trip where you were fitted for that full bag and had the opportunity to play an exclusive private club. 
I don't even understand what your argument is?

My entire point was the way marketing is done has changed and callaway was ahead of the curve.

And having most of their equipment finish 1st or 2nd is pretty darn good.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Justin Thomas's contract with Titleist was set to expire at the end of this year, but Thomas came out on twitter yesterday and announced that he would be staying with Titleist

Yeah, I don't see that changing anytime soon.  With his dad I think on staff with them as a teaching pro and he has pretty much been the poster boy of success for the brand the past couple years. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

49 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, I don't see that changing anytime soon.  With his dad I think on staff with them as a teaching pro and he has pretty much been the poster boy of success for the brand the past couple years. 

Very similar to Bill Haas and Spieth 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

What should we expect to see from our 2018 Major winners?

Koepka doesn’t have the baggage that Reed carries but each are solid golfers without a major sponsor.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

7 minutes ago, bens197 said:

What should we expect to see from our 2018 Major winners?

Koepka doesn’t have the baggage that Reed carries but each are solid golfers without a major sponsor.

Unless Brooks’ Nike deal is up I doubt he signs anywhere. He’s getting paid to play what he likes. I would expect him to stay with Mizuno irons if he did sign somewhere 

Unless Brooks’ Nike deal is up I doubt he signs anywhere. He’s getting paid to play what he likes. I would expect him to stay with Mizuno irons if he did sign somewhere 

Clothing and shoe deals are different from the club deals. Nike isn’t paying him to play their hybrid. I agree with the Mizuno comment, those JPX’s were what guys who weren’t paid to play clubs were choosing, they’re that good.

He was just getting a weekly baggage fee for playing the M3, it wasn’t a contract.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Clothing and shoe deals are different from the club deals. Nike isn’t paying him to play their hybrid. I agree with the Mizuno comment, those JPX’s were what guys who weren’t paid to play clubs were choosing, they’re that good.

He was just getting a weekly baggage fee for playing the M3, it wasn’t a contract.

The Nike athletes had clothing, gear and bag deals. When Nike stopped making equipment their staffers were free to play whatever they wanted butif they signed a deal then they lost a percentage of their equipment contract. Brooks and Fleetwood are two staffers still on Nike club contracts 

The Nike athletes had clothing, gear and bag deals. When Nike stopped making equipment their staffers were free to play whatever they wanted butif they signed a deal then they lost a percentage of their equipment contract. Brooks and Fleetwood are two staffers still on Nike club contracts 

Interesting

https://www.pgatour.com/long-form/2018/08/28/golf-clubs-equipment-free-agents-success.html

"You can play what you want and that's the beauty of it," Koepka said. "You don't have ties to one particular company, so if something isn't working, you can look elsewhere. You just play what works for you. With the success some guys have had this season, I think maybe you'll see more guys [go the free agent route] in the future."

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 10:12 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

He was a hell of a driver of the golf ball using the 917, I can't wait to see what his numbers look like once he starts putting a TS in play. Bombcity!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Called it! Now I just have to dig through the forums and find where I said he’d switch to Taylormade as soon as they made the TW irons.

My wife will probably divorce me when these irons hit retail. Because I will own a set.

IMG_4787.PNG

These are the second set of TW irons so he isn’t playing TM as soon as they made tw set. 

Archived