Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
perseveringgolfer

Spectator at Ryder Cup loses an eye!

26 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

If I was Brooks her medical bills would be taken care of, regardless of disclaimers. Sometimes it's not about the fine print, it's about doing whats right.

I agree with this!  I just don't like talk of legal action. 

• Like 3

Didn’t Ernie pelt someone with a snap hook one time?

I’m sure BK will do something, and when they go back to Europe for the Cup in 2022 they’ll have some reunion story.

Side note, I think BK would have rather played for Thomas.

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

If I was Brooks her medical bills would be taken care of, regardless of disclaimers. Sometimes it's not about the fine print, it's about doing whats right.

It would not surprise me if he does just that.  It would also not surprise me that the PGA and/or most players  have liability insurance.  Knowing that it was your errant shot that left someone blind in an eye would be tough to haul around the rest of ones life.  This could very well get into Brooks head and adversely affect his game.  

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Didn’t Ernie pelt someone with a snap hook one time?

Most have hit someone at one time or another- a signed glove or ball and all forgotten. This is different due to it's life changing injury.

Most have hit someone at one time or another- a signed glove or ball and all forgotten. This is different due to it's life changing injury.

Yeah I know. But I believe Ernie’s knocked the guy out. I read the article a while ago, terrible outcome for the lady that BK hit...

But I feel the same way I do about golf as sitting right next to the fence at a NASCAR race... both are traveling around the same speed. 150+ mph....

If I were to ever make it to a golf tournament I’d either be by the tee or green.
  • Like 1

Just an awful situation. I cannot even imagine how terrible BK feels about this and my prayers certainly go out to the poor gal for a speedy recovery. Now I understand she's considering legal action which just makes this whole thing even worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Yeah I know. But I believe Ernie’s knocked the guy out. I read the article a while ago, terrible outcome for the lady that BK hit...

But I feel the same way I do about golf as sitting right next to the fence at a NASCAR race... both are traveling around the same speed. 150+ mph....

If I were to ever make it to a golf tournament I’d either be by the tee or green.

she was beside the green! 

short par 4 though and they were reaching with driver, but I get your point.

• Like 1

she was beside the green! 
short par 4 though and they were reaching with driver, but I get your point.

Ah, thought it was mid fairway. I didn’t see it happen.

It’s a very sad story -

Limited liability statements are there to be challenged. Just because the ticket says it doesn’t mean it will stand up in court.

But you do have to be aware of flying objects when you attend a golf tournament. It’s just sad.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Just an awful situation. I cannot even imagine how terrible BK feels about this and my prayers certainly go out to the poor gal for a speedy recovery. Now I understand she's considering legal action which just makes this whole thing even worse.

Purportedly a lawsuit has already been filed according to GC. It a shame it happened. Horrible situation for the victim.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

It sounds like he’s doing what he can to make things as easy as possible for her, I just don’t like the part about “taking legal action” there shouldn’t be any case for liability in this on Brooks and it just looks bad on all parties involved. What happened was really terrible and I don’t dare say otherwise but lawyers and courts aren’t gonna make this any better. Sounds like Brooks is reaching out so maybe they can avoid them all together and everyone come out of this decent.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!
  • Like 1

If he covers the medical costs I wonder if that would imply he is taking responsibility, which would open him up to a personal lawsuit. I think suing is the way to get the insurance carriers to cover the medical costs.

Whole situation sucks, I feel bad, but when I go to an event, while I'm there to have a good time I also am on the look out for things flying at me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sad to see, but at least BK doesn't have the same swing now that Charles Barkley has after he he hit someone.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:42 AM, sixcat said:

I agree with this!  I just don't like talk of legal action. 

While I never went to law school, as a business major I was required to have two semesters of business law (the UCC, what is a bailment, that kind of thing).   The professor, a member of the bar, always stressed the ethics of the legal profession.  Aging myself, at the time, it was against the established professional ethic for lawyers to advertise.  Now every other TV commercial is a lawyer looking to sue somebody.   

• Like 2

in case a link wasn't posted.. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ryder-cup-2018-woman-partially-blinded-by-brooks-koepka-tee-shot/

a woman and her husband traveled from Egypt to watch the RC. Brooks is pretty twisted up about it as any human being would be. I'm sure he'll make reasonable efforts. 

I'm positive that the organizations and courses have their "suits" reviewing all ticket and marketing related print ensuring clearance of all liabilities. 

Final thought: Imagine the difficulties that us regular Joes have trying to keep the ball in play at any given time. Now take all of the space on a regular course that we have available to us.. and literally cut that in half and that's what the Pro's have to deal with.. and It's not like that space is filled with more water or bunkers.. it's people. On TV it looks like a bad shot because it goes into a crowd but really it's just a few feet into the dividing rough or just barely off the fairway. Fly the green by 15 feet.. hit a person, 5' into the rough hit a person, pin high 15' to the left.. smack. Gives a different perspective to just how good those guys have to be. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gyro25 said:

If he covers the medical costs I wonder if that would imply he is taking responsibility, which would open him up to a personal lawsuit. I think suing is the way to get the insurance carriers to cover the medical costs.

Whole situation sucks, I feel bad, but when I go to an event, while I'm there to have a good time I also am on the look out for things flying at me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I thought that too but I would still feel terrible. I would try to do something to make the situation better. I don't know what but I would figure something out. 

As a side note, I am not one for lawsuits. Unless there was gross negligence like Brooks turned 90° and hit the ball at someone, I wouldn't sue. 

I just think that if I was standing there, I took on the risk and it was most certainly an accident so I wouldn't sue. 

Not pertinent to the discussion but just my personal opinion.  

• Like 1

You got to really feel for her. I mean to travel from Egypt for a once in a lifetime trip and have that happen is unthinkable and really sad. I feel for Koepka as well, has to bother you. I hope the whole thing works out without having a long drawn out court battle. I mean that has got to be up there in odds with getting struck by lightning to get hit in the eye like that. Truly sad. I wonder if the tour will add any new precautions this year to avoid this in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

A few years back I hit a wayward drive into the next fairway.  Just happened a cart was driving through that spot and I nailed it.  the ball bounced somewhere, never was able to find it.  I thought my heart stopped when I saw the ball shooting at the cart, and as much as I wanted to yell FORE, I found I had no voice.  Was scary.  I cant imagine what BK felt then, or now. I also was sitting next to a gentlemen at the Memorial last year, and out of nowhere a ball slammed him in the side of the head.  The tee on 13 cannot be seen from the tee on 12 where we were. Thankfully he was OK and even joked about it.  Point is, miscues happen, and for that one a tournament or more, adding technology, or more people watching may, or may not prevent it.  As you can see I have no answer other than be aware of your surroundings, including what is above you.

• Like 2