TESTERS WANTED! ×

Spectator at Ryder Cup loses an eye!

perseveringgolfer

If I was Brooks her medical bills would be taken care of, regardless of disclaimers. Sometimes it's not about the fine print, it's about doing whats right.

It sounds like he’s doing what he can to make things as easy as possible for her, I just don’t like the part about “taking legal action” there shouldn’t be any case for liability in this on Brooks and it just looks bad on all parties involved. What happened was really terrible and I don’t dare say otherwise but lawyers and courts aren’t gonna make this any better. Sounds like Brooks is reaching out so maybe they can avoid them all together and everyone come out of this decent.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

If he covers the medical costs I wonder if that would imply he is taking responsibility, which would open him up to a personal lawsuit. I think suing is the way to get the insurance carriers to cover the medical costs.

Whole situation sucks, I feel bad, but when I go to an event, while I'm there to have a good time I also am on the look out for things flying at me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On 10/2/2018 at 7:42 AM, sixcat said:

I agree with this!  I just don't like talk of legal action. 

While I never went to law school, as a business major I was required to have two semesters of business law (the UCC, what is a bailment, that kind of thing).   The professor, a member of the bar, always stressed the ethics of the legal profession.  Aging myself, at the time, it was against the established professional ethic for lawyers to advertise.  Now every other TV commercial is a lawyer looking to sue somebody.   

in case a link wasn't posted.. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ryder-cup-2018-woman-partially-blinded-by-brooks-koepka-tee-shot/

a woman and her husband traveled from Egypt to watch the RC. Brooks is pretty twisted up about it as any human being would be. I'm sure he'll make reasonable efforts. 

I'm positive that the organizations and courses have their "suits" reviewing all ticket and marketing related print ensuring clearance of all liabilities. 

Final thought: Imagine the difficulties that us regular Joes have trying to keep the ball in play at any given time. Now take all of the space on a regular course that we have available to us.. and literally cut that in half and that's what the Pro's have to deal with.. and It's not like that space is filled with more water or bunkers.. it's people. On TV it looks like a bad shot because it goes into a crowd but really it's just a few feet into the dividing rough or just barely off the fairway. Fly the green by 15 feet.. hit a person, 5' into the rough hit a person, pin high 15' to the left.. smack. Gives a different perspective to just how good those guys have to be. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

9 hours ago, Gyro25 said:

If he covers the medical costs I wonder if that would imply he is taking responsibility, which would open him up to a personal lawsuit. I think suing is the way to get the insurance carriers to cover the medical costs.

Whole situation sucks, I feel bad, but when I go to an event, while I'm there to have a good time I also am on the look out for things flying at me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I thought that too but I would still feel terrible. I would try to do something to make the situation better. I don't know what but I would figure something out. 

As a side note, I am not one for lawsuits. Unless there was gross negligence like Brooks turned 90° and hit the ball at someone, I wouldn't sue. 

I just think that if I was standing there, I took on the risk and it was most certainly an accident so I wouldn't sue. 

Not pertinent to the discussion but just my personal opinion.  

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

You got to really feel for her. I mean to travel from Egypt for a once in a lifetime trip and have that happen is unthinkable and really sad. I feel for Koepka as well, has to bother you. I hope the whole thing works out without having a long drawn out court battle. I mean that has got to be up there in odds with getting struck by lightning to get hit in the eye like that. Truly sad. I wonder if the tour will add any new precautions this year to avoid this in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Another spectator hit at the Alfred Dunhill Links today at Kingsbarn by Tyrrell Hatton.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-45751456

Yeah I'd take a cracked noggin over the loss of an eyeball 11 times out of 10 though.

Either way that's rough

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

A few years back I hit a wayward drive into the next fairway.  Just happened a cart was driving through that spot and I nailed it.  the ball bounced somewhere, never was able to find it.  I thought my heart stopped when I saw the ball shooting at the cart, and as much as I wanted to yell FORE, I found I had no voice.  Was scary.  I cant imagine what BK felt then, or now. I also was sitting next to a gentlemen at the Memorial last year, and out of nowhere a ball slammed him in the side of the head.  The tee on 13 cannot be seen from the tee on 12 where we were. Thankfully he was OK and even joked about it.  Point is, miscues happen, and for that one a tournament or more, adding technology, or more people watching may, or may not prevent it.  As you can see I have no answer other than be aware of your surroundings, including what is above you.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

There was a hole at my last course that ran alongside a busy road, the fairway pointed slightly away from the road so no worries, but one day I hit a big push fade and it was heading right for the oncoming traffic, my heart sank, I froze with fear of what was about to happen, I had instant images of a ball crashing thru a windscreen, the car spinning into other cars and a vehicle carnage multiple pile up! Worst 10 seconds of my golf life!!

Fortunately it missed every car, bounced over 2 then onto the field beside it. From then on I hit iron off that tee, but it still gives me the 2am cold sweats sometimes.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Lawyers, judges and arbitrators will work through the legal issues and either follow or establish precedence. My take on the subject is this..... when you attend a golf tournament you assume the risk of getting hit by a wayward ball. Still the PGA has the responsibility to mitigate risk by implementing safety control measures and to keep its patrons fully informed of the remaining hazards. If no control measures are in place and no warnings have been issued then the PGA may in fact be liable.

FYI...... I’m not a lawyer but I did play one in a high school play many many years ago ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

There are some pretty easy steps the tour could take to make attending a tourney less risky for patrons.  

I remember Phil Michelson talking about hitting spectators.  His attitude was they should know not to stand along the fairway where most of the golfers would be hitting their drives.  The tour could help that by moving the ropes in the landing area farther from the fairway.  Or, they could create "no standing" areas in the landing zone--similar to the paths they have across fairways.  The spectators could only cross the area when no one is on the tee.  

When I watch tourneys on TV, it looks like the spectators are the same distance from the green, regardless of the type of shot hit into the green.  I think the ropes could be farther back from the green on drivable par 4s, reachable par 5s, or long par 4s--and green where the players are hitting long clubs into the green instead of wedges or short irons.

Regardless of the legal liability, it's not good for golf tournaments when spectators are getting hit.  It will never be possible to eliminate all wayward shots, but some simple steps could lessen the most likely incidents.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 6:15 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

If I was Brooks her medical bills would be taken care of, regardless of disclaimers. Sometimes it's not about the fine print, it's about doing whats right.

If he does that personally, he may legally be assuming responsibility for her and everyone else that steps on a course where he is playing. Sounds great and would be nice, but what are the legal ramifications of doing this?

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Archived