TESTERS WANTED! ×

D v D 2

Kor.A.Door

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

Hit the Cortex today and MGS Labs before doing wedge testing.   I didn't hit any warm up shots or adjust the driver;  basically took it from Sam while he was shooting an MGS video.  Overall impression was that it wasn't bad but that it wouldn't knock my G400 Max out of the bag.  Sam got some decent numbers,  but you will have to check out the soon to come video to see more about his thoughts.   I think with the G400 line having price drops and other OEMs in the $400 range,  it would have to have exceptional performance numbers for me to pick it up. 

The Ping family at that price is going to be hard to beat.  Was the Cortex any better than you remember the C300 being during testing?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ping family at that price is going to be hard to beat.  Was the Cortex any better than you remember the C300 being during testing?

From my perspective, almost all drivers are equivalent and provide basically the same numbers. Each may work better or worse based on the shaft, swing speed, or weighting. Each driver has strengths and will do a better job at compensating for your mishit. As for the C300 vs Cortex it has been a while since the driver testing so I don’t remember enough to do a head to head comparison. Cortex is a good driver and if given a chance will probably help golfers. Timing is everything and coming out with a 2019 model when others are discounting their 2018 product lines makes it a tough sell.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

From my perspective, almost all drivers are equivalent and provide basically the same numbers. Each may work better or worse based on the shaft, swing speed, or weighting. Each driver has strengths and will do a better job at compensating for your mishit. As for the C300 vs Cortex it has been a while since the driver testing so I don’t remember enough to do a head to head comparison. Cortex is a good driver and if given a chance will probably help golfers. Timing is everything and coming out with a 2019 model when others are discounting their 2018 product lines makes it a tough sell.

I’ve seen similar with drivers from the last several years. Ball speed was all pretty much the same +/- 1-2 mph. A few heads like g400 and 2016/17 m2 were slightly better than others. Sound, feel, looks come in to play more often. Dispersion especially on the mishits is where I tend to see the separation. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

17 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

If his dream was to work in the golf industry, why would he go to Nike? That doesn’t make any sense. Close to home, bigger brand, probably more money so I get that, but unless he wants to design golf shoes, he made the wrong choice on that front.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What he did doesn't make sense. There is a different reason.  He was adamant about wanting to design golf clubs.  He had a job offer from Wilson and if Nike got a hold of him, that can only mean one thing.  Nike is coming back into the club industry.  

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

What he did doesn't make sense. There is a different reason.  He was adamant about wanting to design golf clubs.  He had a job offer from Wilson and if Nike got a hold of him, that can only mean one thing.  Nike is coming back into the club industry.  

This would be awesome! Too bad it will never happen.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

38 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

Or maybe during his summer internship at Nike he was exposed to other areas that interested him. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Or maybe during his summer internship at Nike he was exposed to other areas that interested him. 

He’s 22. My guess is there was a girl involved....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

He's obviously a smart kid to be a double major in mech engineering and business, and he had previously worked at Nike as an intern. He probably just felt it was a better opportunity for him, and he won't have to relocate. It's one thing to design great golf clubs for a great company, but I bet it feels like a different league designing stuff for the greatest athletes in the world at Nike. Plus as @GolfSpy Barbajo said, he probably has a lady he doesn't want to move away from.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I have got the finale on the DVR need to watch it tonight

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I need to catch up a bit. Saw the first 2 episodes on Youtube, and it's great to see the process involved. The final product Cortex looks amazing! Cannot wait for it to come into stores Down Under!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

I am still a little disappointed with the crown change in the Rozwell.  I spoke with the guys with Wilson Staff on Instagram, and they claim that the new carbon crown was still trabecular 🤨

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I watched yesterday. It looked like the one I had taped was a re-air from Wednesday. I didn’t catch the controversial pop up, but golf channel was running cortex ads from the first commercial break. I guess I was expecting both ads to add to the suspense. But the Roswell ad never came! So much for anyone watching for the first time (that also doesn’t spend too much time on MGS). I suppose Wilson is going to want to air as many ads as possible, but wouldn’t most people watching be watching to find out the outcome? Kind of a dumb move to blow it for everyone in the first commercial break.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

He’s 22. My guess is there was a girl involved....emoji41.pngemoji41.png

Quite possible at that age. Been there done that 🤪

He’s 22. My guess is there was a girl involved....

I think you're both talking about the same thing

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

From looking at Sam's testing numbers against the Ping G400 LST, this driver looks like the real deal. Let's see what happens at retail.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I saw a small display of the Cortex at my local PGA SS. (the Golf Galaxy doesn't have a lot of Wilson inventory to begin with but I haven't been by since the end of DvD)

The display had 6 drivers, all right handed and either blue Atmos in regular flex or Red Atmos in Stiff flex...and no demos.

I understand this is a fairly new driver but you have to give the public a chance to try it out before you buy it. Send the reps out to do a demo day at local golf shops and have launch monitors ready to go. I mean, if you want to push the product, give us a chance to try it out before dropping that kind of money. Send three heads (two RH, one LH) and 6 shafts (Blue: R & S, Red: R & S, Black: S & X) to each of the large golf retailers for their demo cart. It's not that difficult.**

** - I have zero golf industry experience so anything I say is out of pure speculation. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Our local Roger Dunn had a demo day for them on Saturday. But I didn’t get a chance to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

This seems to be the case at all retailers. I’ve seen a few posts around that said the same thing. Basically no fitting cart so the lack of demo heads so the retail head gets taped up. Shaft selection isn’t there either and not all lofts.

unless the expectation was since most don’t get fit we so we don’t really need fitting cart setup and ones who want it will come in buy the loft and flex they are used to.

If that’s not the case then it’s a big miss by Wilson and another notch against them in the already ill perception of their woods and the brand. If you want to price and play with the big boys you got to match them in fitting materials 

... Like MSG and others have said, the Cortex release is much more about Wilson brand exposure than actually selling drivers. Smart to come out when there is s lull in equipment releases because when the big boys release their new drivers Wilson will be an afterthought. That said, they do want to sell this club and they certainly need a fitting cart in the big stores so I will have to check my PGA SS to see if they have demo's and shaft options to hit on their LM's. Last time in the day after I saw the display out front with 6 drivers and it was an attention getter for sure, but didn't look to see if they had demo's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

It seems like this version of the show and driver has sparked a much larger amount of talk about Wilson. If they end of slashing the price of these in a few months they probably still got their money's worth of attention.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I’m disappointed in the hate this club has received. Plenty of relevant technology and even more, it held its own against the MGS most wanted winner. Not the third or fourth place driver. The winner.

Plenty of fan boys will buy an M3 because it’s TM. Twist face is cutting edge? Sure, but bulge and roll was new in 1996 with my Cleveland VAS titanium driver.

I am pumped to swing this new driver and see if it can bump my LST from my bag.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I’m disappointed in the hate this club has received. Plenty of relevant technology and even more, it held its own against the MGS most wanted winner. Not the third or fourth place driver. The winner.

Plenty of fan boys will buy an M3 because it’s TM. Twist face is cutting edge? Sure, but bulge and roll was new in 1996 with my Cleveland VAS titanium driver.

I am pumped to swing this new driver and see if it can bump my LST from my bag.

... I don't think I would classify anything posted as "hate" for the Cortex. But people tend to trust an OEM that produces a driver that has performed for them. TM makes great drivers, as does Callaway, Ping and Cobra. The new Mizuno ST190 looks very interesting too. I have had excellent success with Cobra drivers, the Fly Z being the best I have ever played. I did switch to an Epic for a year because it was almost as accurate and forgiving as my Fly Z and was a little longer. But I came back to Cobra with the F8 as it was everything the Fly Z and Epic are, but in one package. I am looking forward to hitting the F9 Speedback and imagine I will have one in my bag next season. However I am far from a fan boy, its just that Coba drivers have worked really well for me. When I demo new drivers if I find some that are equal to the F9, I will stick with Cobra because they have worked so well for me so why would I change? 

... That said, if I demo a new driver and it looks good at address, sounds and feels good and out performs the F9, I will most certainly put it in my bag and I always keep an open mind. But that is a very tall order with todays drivers being so close in performance. I have looked at the Wilson Cortex and it does not suit my eye so that is already one strike against it for me. A different player may love the look at address which of course is the nature of drivers. I have a feeling most here will at least demo the Cortex and/or compare to to their gamer so you might be a little premature in your mini rant. 

... I don't think I would classify anything posted as "hate" for the Cortex. But people tend to trust an OEM that produces a driver that has performed for them. TM makes great drivers, as does Callaway, Ping and Cobra. The new Mizuno ST190 looks very interesting too. I have had excellent success with Cobra drivers, the Fly Z being the best I have ever played. I did switch to an Epic for a year because it was almost as accurate and forgiving as my Fly Z and was a little longer. But I came back to Cobra with the F8 as it was everything the Fly Z and Epic are, but in one package. I am looking forward to hitting the F9 Speedback and imagine I will have one in my bag next season. However I am far from a fan boy, its just that Coba drivers have worked really well for me. When I demo new drivers if I find some that are equal to the F9, I will stick with Cobra because they have worked so well for me so why would I change? 

... That said, if I demo a new driver and it looks good at address, sounds and feels good and out performs the F9, I will most certainly put it in my bag and I always keep an open mind. But that is a very tall order with todays drivers being so close in performance. I have looked at the Wilson Cortex and it does not suit my eye so that is already one strike against it for me. A different player may love the look at address which of course is the nature of drivers. I have a feeling most here will at least demo the Cortex and/or compare to to their gamer so you might be a little premature in your mini rant. 

F9 speedback looks sweet.

All you have to do is read the comments from the head to head testing. They’re out there, spreading their uninformed opinion. If Cortex is garbage then I’ll support it but I really get tired reading negative posts when they’re just hitting market.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

... Well that is unfortunate then as it far from garbage. Clearly the Cortex has performed very well not only on the show from a myriad of pros/celebrities/industry insider but as you said, by the MGS staff too. 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

F9 speedback looks sweet.

All you have to do is read the comments from the head to head testing. They’re out there, spreading their uninformed opinion. If Cortex is garbage then I’ll support it but I really get tired reading negative posts when they’re just hitting market.

They are far from negative posts. It’s golf talk and differing opinions on a product that doesn’t equate to hate. Fact is Wilson has a reputation as a cheap brand especially with the the Wilson staff brand being associated to the Wilson box sets that have pretty much kept Wilson golf in business. Wilson knows they have this perception and are working to change the brand.  The other fact about Wilson is they haven’t made great drivers lately, the c300 is good and the triton was a disaster.

golfers like any other consumer has preferences for brands and will pay a premium price for that product and if a brand with a less than stellar reputation has a similar product at the same cost consumers will pass on it.

the cortex has held its own which was shown in the mgs test. The problem is it didn’t blow away currebt products even in robot testing. So now you have a product being advertised and priced as premium that performs equal to current products that happen to be discounted by at least $100 and new products from trusted brands about to hit the market. 

Another thing to consider is the lack of fitting carts or fitting parts and what is available is limited in lofts or flexes. Wit that stores are having tape up retail heads. That usually doesn’t leave a good taste in consumers mouth.

I will liken this to cars, you can buy from let’s say Ford and get a nice vehicle for say $30000. For the same $30000, you can get a jaguar. One is perceived as a high end vehicle, one is made for the every day guy, why would you spend the same money for something that is perceived to be inferior. Maybe that’s not the best example in the cars spectrum. For the golf community, Titleist is the high end brand, Wilson is perceived not to be a high end brand, the drivers cost the same, if you are a consumer which one would you purchase, the 1 that is tried and true from a very reputable company or the 1 that is from a perceived inferior manufacturer who has struggled making drivers in the past. I wouldn’t say that I hate this driver or hate the company, I feel like the wrong driver won the show, and have no desire to test this one, and will certainly not drop $499 on it. I won’t drop them bones on any new driver. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

11 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I will liken this to cars, you can buy from let’s say Ford and get a nice vehicle for say $30000. For the same $30000, you can get a jaguar. One is perceived as a high end vehicle, one is made for the every day guy, why would you spend the same money for something that is perceived to be inferior. Maybe that’s not the best example in the cars spectrum. For the golf community, Titleist is the high end brand, Wilson is perceived not to be a high end brand, the drivers cost the same, if you are a consumer which one would you purchase, the 1 that is tried and true from a very reputable company or the 1 that is from a perceived inferior manufacturer who has struggled making drivers in the past. I wouldn’t say that I hate this driver or hate the company, I feel like the wrong driver won the show, and have no desire to test this one, and will certainly not drop $499 on it. I won’t drop them bones on any new driver. 

Like you say, "one is precieved to be inferior" but with the Ford, you aren't paying for the logo while you are with the Jaguar. If you took the logos off both cars, I think you might even say the Ford is better because a luxury logo is $10,000 and a Everyman logo is $5000 therefore the Ford is actually $5000 nicer. I understand that we are talking about perceptions, and in that case I agree with you. Titleist has a better reputation than Wilson Staff. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

The cortex is available on the global golf U Try It program or whatever it's called. $25 will get you a two week demo of the club. Not too many shaft options which is understandable but at least it's a start.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Like you say, "one is precieved to be inferior" but with the Ford, you aren't paying for the logo while you are with the Jaguar. If you took the logos off both cars, I think you might even say the Ford is better because a luxury logo is $10,000 and a Everyman logo is $5000 therefore the Ford is actually $5000 nicer. I understand that we are talking about perceptions, and in that case I agree with you. Titleist has a better reputation than Wilson Staff. 

Regardless of how you feel about the issue, given Wilson’s current standing vs the top 4 or 5 driver brands I thought they would debut at $349 or $399. Top of the market seems like overreaching a bit. Unless they did it merely to set a precedent for their future models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Archived