Kor.A.Door

D v D 2

1 hour ago, Joker said:

I think getting it in the hands of people like Shiels and the MSG guys takes it out to a bigger market. 

They did something different than anyone else the first time and it failed.

I guess there is just no winning with some people. Put out a new and different design, people s*** on it. Put out something more like mainstream drivers after feedback from the public, people s*** on it. 

... Shiels and MGS takes it to a larger golfer forum market. But that is a small market worldwide compared to the millions of average golfers that pay no attention to Shiels or any golf forum. But it is a start and ya gotta start somewhere. And I hear ya because in todays equipment climate, unless you are already established I agree, there is no winning with some people and exactly why I would be reluctant to enter the equipment market. Titleist came out with a charcoal driver and one black shaft and sold a ton of them back in the day. Now, you need the right look, the right color, the right graphics, the right colored shaft which is impossible for everyone and oh yea, it would really be nice if it performed. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

You may have hit it right on the head, Chi.

I always tried to play as well as I could--which isn't exactly the same as trying to become the best player I could be.  The latter is a much more demanding quest.

I already had a job.

I'd already experienced a sport where I had to perform as well as I possibly could or be concussed, and I took that sport seriously enough not to get concussed.

In retrospect,  I clearly played golf for the ambiance of playing golf--

pretty scenery, fresh air, mind off other things, fun with my friends.

That's what I'm really missing now,  at least.

To take it further, though, I never played at the level you played. I never came close to being a "plus."

If a shaft wasn't too tip stiff to let me get the ball up in the air for good carry,

or so torquey  that I sprayed all over the place with decent hits,

that shaft was going to play as well as I could play.

And the shaft was graphite because it didn't make my abused hands swell as much.

In that way, I could afford to consider looks.

... Yep Nifty, lots of reasons to play this great game and all of them good ones. (Maybe with the exception of getting hammered on the course with your friends). I only had 3 concussions but the last one was a doozy. If I could go back and do it all again, as much as I loved playing football, I would have played golf and watched people getting concussions in the stands and let them deal with multiple back surgeries when it caught up to them 20 years down the road. Didn't start playing golf til I was almost 30 and while I don't regret any of my life choices, that is a do-over I would take advantage of if a Genie gave me 3 wishes. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:01 PM, JohnSmalls said:

I wish he was a lefty!

So does his son!!! 

• Like 1

Hit the Cortex today and MGS Labs before doing wedge testing.   I didn't hit any warm up shots or adjust the driver;  basically took it from Sam while he was shooting an MGS video.  Overall impression was that it wasn't bad but that it wouldn't knock my G400 Max out of the bag.  Sam got some decent numbers,  but you will have to check out the soon to come video to see more about his thoughts.   I think with the G400 line having price drops and other OEMs in the $400 range,  it would have to have exceptional performance numbers for me to pick it up. 

• Like 7

If his dream was to work in the golf industry, why would he go to Nike? That doesn’t make any sense. Close to home, bigger brand, probably more money so I get that, but unless he wants to design golf shoes, he made the wrong choice on that front.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

If his dream was to work in the golf industry, why would he go to Nike? That doesn’t make any sense. Close to home, bigger brand, probably more money so I get that, but unless he wants to design golf shoes, he made the wrong choice on that front.

Hit the nail on the head: close to home, and near family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I haven't had a chance to watch the finale yet (busy week in the real world) but I will say that I do like this show and found this season much more interesting than the one before it. Lots more on-course testing, hitting balls and more behind the scenes into design elements. All in all, DvD is an excellent marketing tool for Wilson, and as much as people bash it, I bet other OEM's wish they'd thought of it. As a Leafs fan though, god I hate Jeremy Roenick. Get him out of there, and maybe bring in a former pro golfer to be on the panel, rather than a washed up athlete with zero understanding of golf who just loves attention.

I didn't try the Triton last time (the sound turned me right off) but I will try and hit the Cortex simply because of how good it appears to be. Now, with 2018 drivers on sale right now and big things coming down the pipe from other companies, it's a tough time to release a driver. However, you do corner the market on new right now and you have a huge hype machine and people talking about this driver, so that's always a plus. 

As Tony said in his review, if the focus of the show is to get Wilson back into the conversation in the golf equipment space, I would say mission accomplished. 

15 hours ago, chisag said:

... Yep Nifty, lots of reasons to play this great game and all of them good ones. (Maybe with the exception of getting hammered on the course with your friends). I only had 3 concussions but the last one was a doozy. If I could go back and do it all again, as much as I loved playing football, I would have played golf and watched people getting concussions in the stands and let them deal with multiple back surgeries when it caught up to them 20 years down the road. Didn't start playing golf til I was almost 30 and while I don't regret any of my life choices, that is a do-over I would take advantage of if a Genie gave me 3 wishes. 

I started both golf and boxing at fourteen.

I had to gave up the former just before turning 70 and voluntarily  gave up the latter at not quite 22, shortly before college graduation and the military draft.

I'd really look great today if the two were reversed!

9 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I started both golf and boxing at fourteen.

I had to gave up the former just before turning 70 and voluntarily  gave up the latter at not quite 22, shortly before college graduation and the military draft.

I'd really look great today if the two were reversed!

In that alternate universe, we'd be stuck looking at COR studies from Adam and crew on red gloves vs blue gloves.  Glad you chose golf Nifty.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

Hit the Cortex today and MGS Labs before doing wedge testing.   I didn't hit any warm up shots or adjust the driver;  basically took it from Sam while he was shooting an MGS video.  Overall impression was that it wasn't bad but that it wouldn't knock my G400 Max out of the bag.  Sam got some decent numbers,  but you will have to check out the soon to come video to see more about his thoughts.   I think with the G400 line having price drops and other OEMs in the $400 range,  it would have to have exceptional performance numbers for me to pick it up. 

The Ping family at that price is going to be hard to beat.  Was the Cortex any better than you remember the C300 being during testing?

The Ping family at that price is going to be hard to beat.  Was the Cortex any better than you remember the C300 being during testing?

From my perspective, almost all drivers are equivalent and provide basically the same numbers. Each may work better or worse based on the shaft, swing speed, or weighting. Each driver has strengths and will do a better job at compensating for your mishit. As for the C300 vs Cortex it has been a while since the driver testing so I don’t remember enough to do a head to head comparison. Cortex is a good driver and if given a chance will probably help golfers. Timing is everything and coming out with a 2019 model when others are discounting their 2018 product lines makes it a tough sell.
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

From my perspective, almost all drivers are equivalent and provide basically the same numbers. Each may work better or worse based on the shaft, swing speed, or weighting. Each driver has strengths and will do a better job at compensating for your mishit. As for the C300 vs Cortex it has been a while since the driver testing so I don’t remember enough to do a head to head comparison. Cortex is a good driver and if given a chance will probably help golfers. Timing is everything and coming out with a 2019 model when others are discounting their 2018 product lines makes it a tough sell.

I’ve seen similar with drivers from the last several years. Ball speed was all pretty much the same +/- 1-2 mph. A few heads like g400 and 2016/17 m2 were slightly better than others. Sound, feel, looks come in to play more often. Dispersion especially on the mishits is where I tend to see the separation. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

What he did doesn't make sense. There is a different reason.  He was adamant about wanting to design golf clubs.  He had a job offer from Wilson and if Nike got a hold of him, that can only mean one thing.  Nike is coming back into the club industry.  

• Like 2

What he did doesn't make sense. There is a different reason.  He was adamant about wanting to design golf clubs.  He had a job offer from Wilson and if Nike got a hold of him, that can only mean one thing.  Nike is coming back into the club industry.  

This would be awesome! Too bad it will never happen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

Or maybe during his summer internship at Nike he was exposed to other areas that interested him. 

• Like 2

Or maybe during his summer internship at Nike he was exposed to other areas that interested him. 

He’s 22. My guess is there was a girl involved....

• Like 4
  • Off Topic 1

He's obviously a smart kid to be a double major in mech engineering and business, and he had previously worked at Nike as an intern. He probably just felt it was a better opportunity for him, and he won't have to relocate. It's one thing to design great golf clubs for a great company, but I bet it feels like a different league designing stuff for the greatest athletes in the world at Nike. Plus as @GolfSpy Barbajo said, he probably has a lady he doesn't want to move away from.

• Like 1

I need to catch up a bit. Saw the first 2 episodes on Youtube, and it's great to see the process involved. The final product Cortex looks amazing! Cannot wait for it to come into stores Down Under!