TESTERS WANTED! ×

New clubs are very expensive, but...

On 10/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, chisag said:

"In addition to head, shaft and grip options, 

shouldn't there be more spec options too?

At today's prices,

if I want a 300cc, 13º driver with a 1º open face and a 55º lie angle,

shouldn't that be easy to get?

If I want a set of irons with a 30º 5-iron and 46º 9-iron.

shouldn't that be easy to get?

If i want non-conforming box grooves,

shouldn't those be easy to get?  At least with a premium charge?"

... None of those specs were ever easy to get or even available from OEMs.

This, chisag, is simply not true.

I actually have clubs with many of those specs.

They're old and worn and very low tech by today's standards, and realistically no longer playable,

but they not only existed in the 60s and 70s-- they were actually EASY to get.

No matter. 

I can't play.   

I do wonder, however, if I, who really  loved to play, would today play if I could.

I post like this more to muse aloud than to seek agreement.

And actually, clubs with specs that I like are actually available right now.

They're brand new replicas of hickory shafted models made by Louisville Golf today.

And Louisville does customize specs as that's easy to do with simple, low tech clubs.

I suppose that if I did play today, I'd probably play with Louisville Golf hickories.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, chisag said:

On 12/2/2020 at 9:30 AM, ballhawk said:

This may or may not fit into the prime subject disscussion, but it's offered anyway. A playing partner went whole hog for a fitting and expensive clubs. Total cost was just at 5K and he was as proud as a peacock. First round out with them and he shot his normal score, which was decent enough but not earth shattering for what he paid. Now in the group behind us, which were a part of our total group, we had our resident old fogey (76+) who plays irons from the early 80's a somewhat newish 8 year old driver and 3 wood off the rack and a Ping putter circa 1967. Well when settling up after the round, Mr 76 won 3 skins, 2 greenies and tied for lowest putts. Mr peacock won zip, but was still proud of his look at me set and bag. Bottom line is as the old saying goes, "it's the indian not the arrow"

That’s awesome and so true. I know new clubs won’t help my scores go down since I’m fittted for my set but it’s part of the hobby for me to keep golf interesting in trying new clubs. My scores stay relatively similar if I play blades or SGI. My biggest score impact is how close I chip to help lower my overall putts in a round. Putting for me makes the biggest difference. Other clubs are just fun to try out and hit for me. I like new shiny stuff and look for deals so I can have fun and move them on to someone else at a good deal too. Club deals can be had if you are patient and check out the bay enough. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

On 10/4/2018 at 11:18 AM, NiftyNiblick said:

That's not the game. Not even close to the game, GSwag.

If it were, I remember when gas was 28 cents a gallon and McDonald's burgers were 15 cents.

I actually paid both those prices.

The question was whether the OEMs should offer more options with the prices that they charge.

I think the discussion has some relevancy and even more so, when is enough enough?  OEM's charge the price they can because as they market their goods people line up by the millions to continue to buy them.  I liken Golf Equipment to Automobiles or a true comparison. 

Most folks don't need a new car these days until they hit 2-300K miles, and even then there are plenty of situations well taken care of cars go well beyond that.  BUT, we see it all the time that people cycle through automobiles every 2 or 3 years regardless of need because the new product has some new fancy shiney buttons, or does something that they're current model doesn't do particularly well. 

The simple fact is that most good equipment isn't a one or two season purchase.  Truly, if taken care of it can last you almost damn near a lifetime.  Well, except for Drivers and woods these days because as they are hollow they do tend to degrade over time.  I suspect these new pushes towards hollow irons we will see a new avenue for OEMs to utilize the same mentality and push even harder towards new gear all the time.  

In my thoughts, and I haven't played them in MANY MANY years, if you purchase a new set of true Muscle Back Blades you will see that those irons will last you a lifetime without question.  There won't be an opportunity where you will see an OEM come out and say that a newer blade does something different or better than the older ones.  Can't improve much upon a hunk of metal tbh.  Perhaps you would need to change shafts and logically the grips, but not much past that on those.  Well, I suppose the grooves will wear out.  That much is true.  But there are companies that specialize in refinishing clubs to restore them... though you would I suppose theoretically lose some weight etc.  

And here I am rambling again... Sorry. 

So, I'll sum it up in this... I agree that every OEM should have a model that fits every price point and gives people what hey desire at what they can afford.  Unfortunately, I guess, the OEMs don't really care much for peoples wants, and we're complicit in that we continue to buy new stuff without even so much as questioning if we really should or need too.  That's the saddest component to the hold question / discussion you raise. 

But we are on MGS and we all are equipment nuts so... there is that! 😄 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

On 10/4/2018 at 1:19 PM, Har in the Hat said:

I noted this in the Titleist article by T.Covey

Even the elite golfers who once flocked to Titleist in droves were playing other brands. It’s no secret that pay for play dominates at the professional level. He who pays the most wins the count, but what opened eyes at Titleist was the significant decline in play at events like the NCAA and US Amateur Championship. Once the leader, Titleist found itself just a couple of drivers away from dropping to 4th in the count. The consumer market as a whole followed much the same trajectory. 

We are all paying for the R&D that goes into making the clubs that the tour players want to use and paying whatever it costs so that the brand recognition is there.  For example, Titleist ensures that everyones knows about how any balls are being played on the tours. 

Has nothing to do with us, but we pay for it by "wanting to play what the pros play".

Something to say for the new toy in the bag vs old reliable. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review