Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Is this a rich man’s game?

Big money

More I’m delving into golf. The more I sense this is a Richer man’s game. The lessons   Equipment membership yearly  is really tallying up. And I rarely read on about public bare bones golfers . All about the biggest and best .  On average I’ve been spending  little over a grand a month on golf this season . 

No one can convince me that anyone making under 40$ thousand a year can make golf a hobby. One needs almost a six figure income to take golf seriously 

Keep it in the short stuff

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More I’m delving into golf. The more I sense this is a Richer man’s game. The lessons   Equipment membership yearly  is really tallying up. And I rarely read on about public bare bones golfers . All about the biggest and best .  On average I’ve been spending  little over a grand a month on golf this season . 
No one can convince me that anyone making under 40$ thousand a year can make golf a hobby. One needs almost a six figure income to take golf seriously 

That seems to be true, for the most part. But it also depends on where you live. If you are fortunate to live in an area with a lot of muni courses it can be fairly affordable. You don’t have to play with the most expensive gear either. That being said, the areas with plenty of courses are probably also more expensive to live in. So it can be tough, but not impossible. Just don’t expect to be joining a private club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

3 minutes ago, Edveed said:

I make well under $40k a year, and I've probably played 100 rounds of golf so far this year.  I have pretty recent equipment, and most of my bag has been updated within the past two years.  In fact, all of it has.  I have a "membership" at the local muni that cost me $60 a month for all the golf I can walk.  I pay like $13 something for cart if I choose to ride, which I have to on weekend mornings when I play at that time.

Now I'll grant you this - I'm an empty nester with no debt.  I don't have a mortgage, car payments, nor do I carry a credit card.  I pay cash for everything, and if I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

But I don't have a life outside of golf honestly.  It's all I choose to do.  I don't fish, go to football games, hunt, or do any of a number of other things that a lot of guys around here do.  I'm a one trick pony.  I play golf - that's it.

My bag is now updated and I probably won't be spending another dime on equipment for at least a year.  Wedges are something I usually rotate in and out of my bag every year or so.  I do it when I noticed my performance with them starts lagging, and I feel like a new wedge will sharpen up my shots from 100 yards and in.

I've also got a little 9-hole muni about five minutes from my office that costs $10 to walk.  But it's also included in my $60 a month membership at the other local muni, so I have two golf courses to play for that price a month.  I walked both Monday and Wednesday there this week, and I'm planning on playing 9 holes after work today.

Sure, I could probably swing a membership at a private club, but it would be tight.  As I mentioned in my first sentence, I don't even make $40k a year.  I'll probably just continue down the road I am on for the foreseeable future.  I do have my Tuesday evening golf league that goes from March through September, which costs me $30 a week, so I have to factor the cost of that into my lifestyle as well.  But it's my priority, so I don't have a problem spending the money on it.

Golf can be done on a budget.  You just can't be that picky when it comes to course conditions, and amenities when you play.  But I'll say that when I had kids in the house, and debt and all of that stuff going on, that my golf clubs collected dust in the garage.  I went many years without playing.  I'm just at a point in my life where this is all I really have going for me.  It's just where I am personally in my walk in life, and I know it's not where anyone else may be at all.

I get your frustration with the cost of golf, but as a buddy of mine once said to me, "if you think golf is expensive, go buy a boat."

Heck, at one time I looked into rifles, and shooting as a hobby, and started pricing out weapons and ammunition and said, "screw that."  Man, if you think golf is expensive, try shooting sometime.

Food for thought.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

It is a higher income game for sure.Back in the 1980’s and mid 1990’s I had a golf membership with our park dept. The membership involved unlimited play at 3 area munis run by the parks.It cost $500 to$800 back than.I would play hand me down used golf balls and rarely bought new equipment.This was the golden years of golf for me.And sadly many considered this price a little extravagant.Now the same membership is $4500.That is a massive increase.But it does include 3 nicely groomed local munis.

Since I’ve really dropped my playing time down this year.I was able to purchase many college football tickets, nice gym membership,a few mlb baseball tickets, and even a few pro football game as well.And still had funds left over to start a new savings account.I can’t believe the extra funds I had left this year from stepping away from avid golf.

The equipment might be a purchase that only needs made every few years.But for me the lessons and membership and traveling green fees hurt my bank account. Plus the gas expenses and all the food and drinks at the turn and after.

So yes , under $50k a year would be rough .And if you have a family you might as well forget it.And sadly the game is only getting more expensive the more avid you get.I would say $80k a year is safe.But still must watch the traveling expenses.This takes in account the average membership here starts at about $4k.And this is for a decent muni 

and GSwag, boating is a heck of a lot cheaper.I owned a boat and It never ever came close with what i spent on golf.But again the boating season here is realistically only 3 months ..hahaah

Keep it in the short stuff

I’ve seen both ends of the spectrum. But the reality is that golf can be your hobby on a tight budget right down to taking group lessons from a pro at the local muni.

And this has been true in every part of the country that I’ve ever lived including Fairfield County CT which is one of the most affluent places in the country if not the world.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 minutes ago, tehuti said:

That seems to be true, for the most part. But it also depends on where you live. If you are fortunate to live in an area with a lot of muni courses it can be fairly affordable. You don’t have to play with the most expensive gear either. That being said, the areas with plenty of courses are probably also more expensive to live in. So it can be tough, but not impossible. Just don’t expect to be joining a private club.

I agree with tehuti.  Very good clubs can be picked up used at very reasonable prices.  There have been threads here on the forum about putting together a nice set of clubs for a couple hundred bucks. The cost of playing does depend on where you live, but everywhere I have played around the country, there are inexpensive alternatives.  Of course, the large metro areas will be more expensive.  In more rural areas the prices are cheaper, but there are less options.  It also depends on how often you want to play.  

We have one private club that expensive to join, one semi-private club that's open for public play that's reasonable and a few munis and other public courses that can be reasonable depending on the day and time you want to play.  Also, in addition to memberships, most also offer a "Players Card" for $300 for the year that gets you 50% off any rate, anytime.  Of course, any course except the private club is available for practice free of charge except for range balls.  

I view golf as a sport that can be expensive, but can also be played inexpensively. It's a game that is as expensive as you want to make it.  Lots of other activities can be more expensive; I've owned a boat and it's not cheap!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I make $800,000 a year. Have a trophy wife . Own multiple homes and am a part owner of a successful up and coming toilet bowl cleaning company . And I can walk on Augusta at a call

Ed, this is online. You can’t believe a majority of what people post on these. Most forums are full of egos or fantasy stories. They might also  say they play big high end private golf clubs. When in reality they might play a 9 hole goat ranch par 3. You can enjoy this game making $20,000 a year and minimum wage. We have greens fees that range from $15 a round all the way $300. Playing golf is still golf. Just some courses are in better shape than others. Bargain shop and enjoy the game for the rest of your life 

I make $800,000 a year. Have a trophy wife . Own multiple homes and am a part owner of a successful up and coming toilet bowl cleaning company . And I can walk on Augusta at a call
Ed, this is online. You can’t believe a majority of what people post on these. Most forums are full of egos or fantasy stories. They might also  say they play big high end private golf clubs. When in reality they might play a 9 hole goat ranch par 3. You can enjoy this game making $20,000 a year and minimum wage. We have greens fees that range from $15 a round all the way $300. Playing golf is still golf. Just some courses are in better shape than others. Bargain shop and enjoy the game for the rest of your life 

Are you hiring???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Nah! Why does one have to be a member at a club? Why does one have to buy the latest clubs? There are PGA pros EVERYWHERE that charge $100 or less for lessons, even online! Nah. Not buying it, and my public course’s consistent golfers are proof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I play golf twice a week, take lessons a few times a year and play in a few tournaments with no problem. I don't play the most expensive courses in the area and I look for deals. For example: the Cincinnati city courses offer a Birdie Pass for $20/year but you get on average $8-$12 off the regular price for every round you play (they even throw in extra $5 off coupons you can use as well). Are they Pebble Beach? No but they're well maintained and provide a fun challenge. I bought my Titleist 915 driver as a demo so I got that for about $200 less than new at that time. Bought an older set of Titleist AP2's at a used sporting goods store for under $200 and got my Vokey wedges and Cameron putter on eBay for right around $500 total (my Cameron was my most expensive purchase). If I bought all those brand new, I'd be in for over $2,000 but I stayed under $1,000 for all of those. So, golf is only as expensive as you make it. Expensive golf doesn't make it any better for me.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

5 minutes ago, Ott95 said:

Poor man!  How can you live on only $800K a year with a trophy wife?  :lol:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 minutes ago, Bonks said:

Expensive golf doesn't make it any better for me.

I'll even go the opposite direction of this in saying that just because you can buy new clubs anytime you want, and can afford to lose a dozen ProV1s a round in the woods won't even make you happy playing the game.

I knew a friend of my Dad's who let's just say had well over 9 figures sitting in his bank account.  He flew first class all over the world just because he could, and played golf whenever he wanted to.  He retired the #3 guy at UPS, so he has so much money he doesn't know what to do with it.

I played golf with this guy many times, and every time I would see him, he had new clubs.  He'd literally get fit for a set of clubs, and then play 1 or 2 rounds with them and not like them for whatever reason, and then he'd just buy new clubs to replace them.  He has like 6 kids and 14 grandkids, and every one of his kids and grandkids inherited his "old" sets of clubs.

He's always buy a dozen ProV1s in the pro shop (at 15% markup, so he was paying like $60 a dozen for them) before each round, and right off of the first tee he'd slice two of them out of bounds or into the woods where he not only wouldn't even look for them, but he'd just drop a ball in the middle of the fairway by my Dad's ball and hit from there.  He'd then chunk an approach shot, blade a chip over the green, and then finally get on and then 3 putt from wherever.  We'd walk back to the cart and he'd say to my Dad, "give me a 5."

This guy bought a $120k Mercedes convertible with all the bells and whistles, and after about 3 months just traded it in, taking a huge loss, only to buy another new Mercedes at about that price or more.  Every time I saw this guy he had a new car.  

But this guy was miserable every time I saw him.  I would try and crack a simple joke on the golf course and he'd just look at me cross eyed like I was an alien.  

He took my Dad out to dinner for his birthday, where it was me and my parents, him and his wife (5 people) and the cheapest entree on the menu was $77.  He dropped over $800 on that meal, and I actually walked away from the table somewhat hungry.

But was he happy?  Never.  Every time I saw him he was complaining about something.  The airlines lost his clubs, the hotel he was staying at didn't have his room ready when he got there.

I've also seen this guy buy and sell houses faster than most people go through clothing.  He spent $11 million to custom build a house on the side of a mountain that had 2 kitchens, an elevator, 5 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, and all sorts of other fancy amenities.  I think he lived in the house all of two years before he decided he didn't like the house, or like the town where he was living, so he sold it for about a $3 million loss, and moved down to Florida.  He had like 5 or 6 properties, but every time you saw this guy, he was just flat out miserable.

My point to all of this is to not let money dictate how or what you choose to do with you life.  You can have all the money you can spend on golf and still be a miserable SOB.  Or you can be broke like me, and appreciate the opportunity I have just to play 9 holes after work, because I am still (somewhat) healthy enough to walk 9 holes and live to tell about it.  I know at least one guy here who wishes he was healthy enough to play, and I've played with some older guys recently that couldn't make it through 9 holes, because they literally couldn't breathe and needed to go home to recover, physically.

Enjoy the day, find the positive in your situation, and go live your life doing what you makes you happy.  Because as anyone over 70 will tell you, getting old is not for sissies, and you can't get back what you spent on this day.

Can be as expensive or as cheap as one chooses. Older gear, public courses, 9 holes vs 18. Watch YouTube for free lessons instead of with and instructor.

for many it’s a hobby so it’s up to the individual to determine what they can and can’t afford

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If I want to go play basketball it cost me nothing at the local county recreation center. Tennis cost $5 for a can of balls and a reasonable racket can be had for well over under $100. Running ♀️ is cheap as well for shoes should last a minimum of 90 days. I think I’ve made my point because Golf comparatively is expensive. Even if you play it on the cheap the end toll adds up quick.

On average a weekend golfer spends between $200 to $400 a month on greens fees alone. I can play a myriad of sports or participate in countless fitness activities at the local Y for a fraction of that cost.

Yes you can cut corners but even then golf is an expensive hobby to maintain.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

9 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

If I want to go play basketball it cost me nothing at the local county recreation center. Tennis emoji462.png cost $5 for a can of balls and a reasonable racket can be had for well over under $100. Running emoji125.png♀️ is cheap as well for shoes should last a minimum of 90 days. I think I’ve made my point because Golf comparatively is expensive. Even if you play it on the cheap the end toll adds up quick.

On average a weekend golfer spends between $200 to $400 a month on greens fees alone. I can play a myriad of sports or participate in countless fitness activities at the local Y for a fraction of that cost.

Yes you can cut corners but even then golf is an expensive hobby to maintain.

I disagree.  Here's why:

I played at a 9-hole course for 18 years for $350 a year, $600 a year for a couple.  OK, sure I cut corners, but at the time, I had to.  I didn't have the latest equipment, but it was good enough for my game.  Balls were never lost because there were no hazards; they wore out.

You live in Hawaii; nice weather all year long.  Lots of outdoor activities that are reasonably priced like you say, and you are young enough to enjoy them.  That's nice.  We have cold winters and hot summers so our hobbies are geared toward different seasons.  I played basketball when I was younger; I played tennis too.  I even ran a marathon.  But I'm not doing any of those things outdoors in 110º summer heat.  Actually, I'm not doing any of them now after multiple surgeries including knee replacement.  

To play tennis on a reasonable court requires a membership at a racket club - $100 a month minimum.  Fishing?  Around here we have lots of water, but to catch fish you need a boat and that requires a truck to pull it; just like golf, you can go cheap or you can spend a bundle.  Hunting?  Can also be as expensive as you want it to be.    We are within 3 hours of good snow skiing in any direction.  Now that's expensive!  There is no cheap skiing.  

The point is that everyone has their hobbies, and they can be cheap or expensive.  As to the OP, I make more than $40K a year, but far less than six figures being retired.  I manage my expenses to play the type of golf I want to play.  

I see golf and skiing as similar "sports" .... not to say both are 'rich' sports but you typically find more people in higher income brackets than lower ones doing both.

There are a few requirements to play.
1. you need clubs, a bag and golf balls and some tees. (the rest is supplementary - rangefinder/gps/glove/ballmarker/training aids..etc.)

2. you need a tee time

3. you need a golf/collared shirt

Those are the bare minimum.  that's it.  Pull cart, golf cart, golf shoes, hat, all of that other crap is extra; sure it makes the game easier/more enjoyable but they aren't required.

You can find a set of clubs at garage sales/ebay/craigslist/goodwill for cheap.  I mean less than 100 bucks; hell, my bro-in-law found a complete set in a dumpster that he played with...including the bag.

You can get a golf shirt online for 10 or 15 bucks.

You can get a tee time for 18 holes, walking on golfnow for 35 or less.

You can play in a pair of old tennis shoes.

You can wear ratty cargo shorts with tube socks.

It's relatively cheap to get started playing golf....the problem is you start falling in love with the game and then it gets expensive.... 😁

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I see golf and skiing as similar "sports" .... not to say both are 'rich' sports but you typically find more people in higher income brackets than lower ones doing both.
There are a few requirements to play.
1. you need clubs, a bag and golf balls and some tees. (the rest is supplementary - rangefinder/gps/glove/ballmarker/training aids..etc.)
2. you need a tee time
3. you need a golf/collared shirt
Those are the bare minimum.  that's it.  Pull cart, golf cart, golf shoes, hat, all of that other crap is extra; sure it makes the game easier/more enjoyable but they aren't required.
You can find a set of clubs at garage sales/ebay/craigslist/goodwill for cheap.  I mean less than 100 bucks; hell, my bro-in-law found a complete set in a dumpster that he played with...including the bag.
You can get a golf shirt online for 10 or 15 bucks.
You can get a tee time for 18 holes, walking on golfnow for 35 or less.
You can play in a pair of old tennis shoes.
You can wear ratty cargo shorts with tube socks.
It's relatively cheap to get started playing golf....the problem is you start falling in love with the game and then it gets expensive.... 

Agreed. The longer you play the more expensive it can get. If you love the game you’ll eventually want to upgrade your gear. If you start playing really well on your local muni you may want to see how you’ll do on a really nice course. Etc., it can start to get pricey. But once you at least have the minimum in gear it doesn’t have to be too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

I think the answer to the question is a large, and as varied, as the membership on MGS.  What the "Cost" is?  That will depend on what makes you happy as was said in earlier posts.  I play 30-50 rounds a year, and usually buy a couple dozen new balls as well.  The courses I play are low key and as a result lower in cost.  Also if you walk as was also mentioned you can cut dollars as well.  Play with reconditioned balls, used clubs, etc...   If you have no desire to work toward playing the PGA tour that will be all you need to have fun.  Lessons are an added bonus for one who wants to improve their game, and if down the road you want to join a league, you don't have to be a member to be in a league.  There are so many ways to make this game affordable.  It really is up to you.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I’m far from rich. I’m probably not even close to well off. I rarely buy new clubs. Don’t spend more than $25 on a dozen balls.

I can walk 9 for $15 after 5pm at the course on my way home from the office. Ride 18 for $40 at the muni near the house. I can take group lessons for $25 at a local range. I don’t spend $1000 on golf in a YEAR never mind 1 month.

If you can only play golf if it’s on a private course and you’re dragging PXG clubs around, that’s YOUR problem, not golf’s.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 minutes ago, kardboard.kid said:

If you have no desire to work toward playing the PGA tour that will be all you need to have fun.  

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this, except to say that for some of us, "having fun" cannot necessarily be defined a certain way for everyone. 

For some, getting a cart with buddies, dusting off your father's 1970 era clubs from the attic, and taking a case of beer to the course just to hit a few golf balls between downing a beer is "fun".  Your goal will probably be to see how far you can hit it off of every tee, and then spend the rest of the day betting your buddies who can hit it further, and the guy who comes up short is forced to chug an entire beer as a "penalty."  And if the round takes 6 hours, good deal, because I am with my pals, and we are getting sloppy drunk, with a side of golf shots, which was the whole point of this exercise.

Then there is the "weekly foursome".  This is the group that plays at the same time every week.  They've been hitting the same clubs since 1979, with the occasional upgrade.  They score in the 90's or 100's and honestly don't care what they shoot as long as they beat their buddy in the cart next to them.  These guys know each other like the back of their hand, and they know each other's games.  They've been playing the same $5 nassau for 20 years, and over that course of time the money has generally worked itself out evenly.  These guys all ****** about their jobs, and their wives, and their solace in life is this Saturday morning foursome, where these guys have each other's back and will all show up to each other's funerals.  They play the same course week in and week out, and don't care that the greens aren't perfect, or that one of the tee boxes is total dirt.  It's the time with their buddies which is what is fun for them.

Next we have solo golfer.  He's a working man with a family, but he absolutely loves this game.  He'll never be on TV, but he hits it really good on good days, and on his bad days he's just happy if he walks off with more pars than bogeys.  He's always striving to be better, but deep down he knows that there is a real limit to how good his game can get.  But even with knowing that he's scouting the market for the next club that will fix the problem he is having with his 200 yard shot this month.  Once he fixes that shot he now has issues with the 60 yard chip, so he's looking for a wedge to fix that problem.  Next month he starts spraying his drives into the woods, so man, it's time to see what the latest and greatest driver is out there to fix that problem.  Next month he couldn't make a putt if his life depended on it, so now it's time to get a new putter.  Oh, and he thinks the two-piece ball isn't working for him, so he's looking for a deal on ProV1's on some other such equivalent ball that will spin better on his approach shots.  This guy has an endless supply of "game improvement" thoughts, and what he wants to get better on this week will be something else next week.  He's working a full time job, but even at work he's thinking about his next round of golf, and looking forward to it.  He's got a few buddies who also work, who he can call and maybe get in a game with them every so often, but they are not reliable enough to count on, because they are too busy working, so sometimes he's stuck going solo, and playing alone.  He'd like to get a regular game with folks, but everyone he knows who plays just doesn't have the time and they have better things to do, so he carries on in his quest for the perfect set of clubs, and just know that if he just spends a little more time on the course, and gets that last club, that he'll finally be satisfied with his game, and where he is with golf.  The fun part of all of this is the chase of what he doesn't have, and the excitement waiting for UPS to show up with his latest purchase.  This guy uses golf as an escape from life.  The fun for him is anytime he's on the course, and if he's making a few birdies, life is just grand.

Next we have Captains Choice guy.  He works full time, has several kids at home, and rarely has time for the game.  He hasn't picked up a club in two years, but got a call from his boss saying that he is playing in the next charity tournament that the company sponsored.  The boss is putting him on the team, and giving him Monday off paid, just so he can play in this tournament.  But he can't remember the last time he swung a golf club, but he's just thrilled to get out of the office.  Wait, I'm being paired up with "solo golfer" who hits it a mile down the middle, and lives for this game?  Oh heck yeah, let me ride that horse for 18 holes while I tell my wife we went 7 under in the scramble and won a trophy because our net score was great because of "solo golfer", and hey, I've never won a golf trophy in my life.  This might be the greatest day of my life!

I agree with those that say if you genuinely love the game, if the game is an important pastime, then one will find a way to do so within their means.   However,  I find that golf can be a reminder that it can sometimes be tough when you are born handsome instead of rich.  

Just start with a budget of what you can afford to spend on golf per month and then find a way to make it work.  I'm spending about $250/month but I'm sure I could easily spend over a $1000/month if I had unlimited resources. Lots of great options already mentioned for cutting costs, some options like walking instead of riding also make the game more enjoyable. Trying to avoid peak busy times like weekend mornings when the rates are the highest and they force you to take a cart (and play is still slow) is another good option.

Really curious to see a breakdown of how you're spending that much a month.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

3 hours ago, Edveed said:

Golf is far less a working class game now than it was forty years or even fifty years ago.

Rev and I have differing views on this,  but I don't believe that the early century Tiger rush was the high point of working class golf.

I may have traveled in grittier circles than he,

but golf at public courses for the lunch pail, paid by the hour set was at its peak when we had a big urban manufacturing base.

They're almost all dead now, but the "Greatest Generation" hit the public links hard in the post WWII era

when their working class parents barely knew that the game existed, Hogan and Snead notwithstanding.

They brought us baby boomers on-board--a HUGE demographic--and we're starting to get old and die now.

There is no urban manufacturing base anymore, and people making burgers and lattes don't play golf.

It used to be an elitist game, and it's rapidly becoming one again.

On TOP of that, my kids would be able to play and don't want to.

That's the post-Tiger letdown...that college educated group.

The shower-after-work-rather-than-before demographic has been gone for a while.

31 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I’m far from rich. I’m probably not even close to well off. I rarely buy new clubs. Don’t spend more than $25 on a dozen balls.

I can walk 9 for $15 after 5pm at the course on my way home from the office. Ride 18 for $40 at the muni near the house. I can take group lessons for $25 at a local range. I don’t spend $1000 on golf in a YEAR never mind 1 month.

If you can only play golf if it’s on a private course and you’re dragging PXG clubs around, that’s YOUR problem, not golf’s.

You sound a lot like me.  Also far from rich, got a long way to go before I hit six figures.  I had actually not spent more than $19.99 on a dozen balls until this morning when I did the Snell deal for MGS members.  There is a muni course just a 1 1/2 miles from work with sunset rates about $14 with cart.  I also got an affordable push cart so I could save the $14 cart fee when I want to play 18.  There are several munis around plus a 9-hole pitch-n-putt so there are plenty of affordable options in my area without having to go the country club route.

When I started playing last summer I picked up a used mixed bag on eBay for less $100 bucks.  I had to replace the driver and 3W pretty quick and add some wedges but I am still using the irons, hybrids and putter.  Every club in my bag currently, I got off eBay and did not spend much more than $80 bucks on a single one.  I think I only paid about $50 for my driver which has so far served me well.  I personally can't imagine paying hundreds for a driver or putter or a grand for set of irons.  I can just about guarantee I wouldn't play any better with a $500 driver and $4-$5 balls.

Golf is expensive, but it doesn't have to be prohibitively so.  A lot of fun can still be had playing within your means. 

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

check out this story about Pat Perez.... really good.  worth it and related.... 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pat-perez-pga-tour-you-dont-know-me

A snippet:
At every tournament, kids size up their opponents. My God, everyone must’ve thought that I was some sort of a******. I had clubs that were too big for me and was wearing high-top Reeboks instead of golf shoes. They must’ve been thinking, What is he doing here?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

18 minutes ago, Just another lefty said:

Really curious to see a breakdown of how you're spending that much a month.

Honestly it's hard to break it down by month for me, because certain things are seasonal.  But here goes...

1. Annual membership fees (paid in December) $720.
  2. Monthly golf league (March through September) $120 per month.
  3. Balls/gloves, etc. Maybe $200 annually?  Hard to gauge because I bought 4 dozen balls this time last year, and I still haven't hit one of them.  Then I bought four more dozen around Fathers day and I've gone through 2 dozen of those already.  So that is that - about a dozen every other month?  Winter golf means playing less, so I could very well have these same 4 dozen balls this time next year?  I bought 6 gloves this time last year, and I still have two left that are in their wrapper.
  4. Shoes - $200 this year.  And to be totally honest, I'm revolving through about 6 pair of shoes.  But when you see a sale and you could use another pair.  Ah sure, what the heck.
  5. Apparel - shirts, shorts, etc are purchased randomly on a sale from time to time, and this definitely is one of those variables that sort of goes outside of golf.  Because on days I'm not playing golf, I'm wearing golf apparel.  Sort of a "well, I'm not planning on playing today, but you never know," sort of attitude.  I have the mindset that if the clubs are in the car, the golf course can be had in 30 minutes or less, no matter what day it is, or where I am or what I am doing.  If a buddy texts me at 4:00 on a Thursday and asks to play, "I'll see you in 30 minutes."  But the clothes are a lifestyle and I am what I wear - golf.  I will say as a standard that I won't spend more than $20 on a pair of shorts, or $20 on a polo shirt.  I can often find it on sale for less.  For instance, I walked into WalMart one day earlier this year I think and they had Ben Hogan golf pants on sale for $16.  I wasn't really looking to buy golf pants, and I really didn't need them, but dang, for $16, who am I to pass that sort of deal up?
  6. Tournaments, one day events, travel expenses, etc.  This one is sort of a new one.  I dropped over $300 on a weekend tournament last month with a buddy.  I've played in weekend tournaments locally where it was about $150.  I'm playing in these one day events where between entry fee and food and gas, it's probably closer to $75 or $80.  I'm playing in one Monday that will be over $100 when you factor in the hotel room.  But I just started playing in stuff like this, so let's just say $200 a month budget for "tournaments".  Some months more, and some months less.
  7. Clubs and equipment.  The last club I bought was my gap and sand wedge.  Each were $150, and those were the only two clubs I've bought this year.  So $300 a year on clubs?  Ah, it fluctuates based on mood and where I am at with my game.  Next year it could be more, or I could go the entire year without dropping a penny on anything.  Um yeah, that probably isn't realistic.

Wow, TMI time for sure.  Sorry for the lengthy laundry list.

Can be as expensive or as cheap as one chooses. Older gear, public courses, 9 holes vs 18. Watch YouTube for free lessons instead of with and instructor.
for many it’s a hobby so it’s up to the individual to determine what they can and can’t afford

Spot on!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It could be done easily if it weren't for the trophy wife. 

Also could be easier if there weren't any ex's before the trophy wife

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD