Sign in to follow this  
catchmeoutside

New Driver Needed, broke my M1

So I broke my 2016 M1 out of anger so I am needing a new one. The M1 was not fitted and I didn't have a ton of success with it. I have been hitting my golf buddy's 2017 M2 with stiff shaft and good Lord and am hitting it long and straight. I honestly cannot hit a bad drive with this thing. I feel like I can swing as hard as I want and it will not slice. 

However, I think I need an X stiff shaft so I am getting fitted Monday for a Cobra F8 since it is only $299 and I love the look + Cobra connect. If I can't hit the Cobra as good as my friend's M2 he will sell it to me for $299. Either way I have realized what I have been missing. My old M1 was definitely not for me and has cost me alot of strokes/headache these past 2 years.

• Like 2

good luck and enjoy! Cobra makes some sweet stuff. I got a final show down between my Fly Z+ and Cleveland Launcher, now that they both have the same shaft. 

I have a Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS yellow or Rogue Max but they are stiff flex

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bought my Ping G400 last year and I've been exceedingly happy. I know a lot of guys gaming the G400 driver too. A lot of VERY happy customers.

One you go PING you never go back. :)

Love my F8+, ditched my M3 for it a month or so ago. You can probably pickup a nice M2 used for $200. They still have new ones out there for $299.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I wanted new so I could get custom fitted. I ended up getting fitted for a Ping G400 SFT with a Tour 80 X-stiff shaft. Now I need to work on getting the spin down. In my fitting I was hitting the 3000 rev mark on my best hits and 4000 on my bad hits. I tried the LST but it wasn't as straight as the SFT and the Max had even more spin and wasn't as straight.

Setup is G400 SFT, Tour 80 X, 44.75" midsize grip

• Like 1

11 hours ago, catchmeoutside said:

I wanted new so I could get custom fitted. I ended up getting fitted for a Ping G400 SFT with a Tour 80 X-stiff shaft. Now I need to work on getting the spin down. In my fitting I was hitting the 3000 rev mark on my best hits and 4000 on my bad hits. I tried the LST but it wasn't as straight as the SFT and the Max had even more spin and wasn't as straight.

Setup is G400 SFT, Tour 80 X, 44.75" midsize grip

One of the shaft upgrades PING offers is the Aldila X-Torsion Copper. I snapped one up off of eBay in stiff-flex and spin seemed to come way down for me with my SFT. It really woke it up for me and it hits mostly straight and longer too. I haven't gotten it in front of a LM yet, but it's obvious that this shaft works a ton better than the original stock Alta I had been fitted to. Maybe see if your fitter has that one available to give a whirl with.

8 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

One of the shaft upgrades PING offers is the Aldila X-Torsion Copper. I snapped one up off of eBay in stiff-flex and spin seemed to come way down for me with my SFT. It really woke it up for me and it hits mostly straight and longer too. I haven't gotten it in front of a LM yet, but it's obvious that this shaft works a ton better than the original stock Alta I had been fitted to. Maybe see if your fitter has that one available to give a whirl with.

Does it come with X-stiff flex?

I've also heard and seen folks just gushing about the performance of the Project X HZRDUS Yellow shaft for their G400's too. That is also a shaft upgrade PING offers.

Here's a video James Robinson did for his G400 fitting that may also help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catchmeoutside said:

James's swing is way different than mine. 7.5 degrees of loft? Wow. He must really have an upward attack angle. 

Understood. My takeaway on vids like this are seeing the evolution of how the ball reacts with differing shafts regardless of swing style. It's fascinating what that tech brings to the picture.