Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×

I was on the webiste of (our big box store up here in Canada ) Golftown  and looking at the  Titleist TS driver.

Are you sitting down for this --- $660 CAD.   

Are you friggin kidding me???

is there going to be a point where we as consumers say  " Enough is Enough". These prices arre getting out of hand.

titleistcost.png

• Like 1

$500 has pretty much been the norm for the last few years. When you factor in that most are using real deal shafts and have many non-upcharge ones it seems like the cost is justifiable. I don't love the price increases either but I do get it at least.

• Like 1

Untill sales and profits go down, prices will go up. It is a supply and demand problem. The demand is still there so price will keep rising.

Especially with a brand like Titleist, who has an elite vibe, they can keep raising prices. People with money can/will pay for status symbols. Why do you think PXG is still in business. 

I always buy used and haven't paid over $150 for a driver. I don't care about status symbols therefore the newest and greatest doesn't appeal to me. 

• Like 7

Having just gotten back into the game I was not about to drop $500 on ONE club. And since I prefer not to go used I went the clone route.

I don’t need the latest and greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Im not so offended by the price of these clubs. Use some restraint and purchase something that you plan to keep for a few years. When you include the increasing costs for a manufacturer to provide wages and benefits to employees it has one direction to go and that’s up. I bought my G400 this year for $520 and that’ll stay in my bag until my 1 year old is in Kindergarten.

It also doesn’t mean that the 917 or 915 are immediately junk. They were artillery for JT the past few years and don’t stop working just because the newest and greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

wow.... I mean.... wow.... this is absurd... absolutely ridiculous.  I wonder what the breaking point is?  I'm willing to bet that we will see an 800 dollar driver in the next few years (PXG excluded, of course)...

• Like 1

We all have Dr. Bob to thank for the increase in the cost of golf equipment. He trailblazed a path to higher prices and when the other golf companies saw consumers were willing to pay it, they followed suit. 

• Like 1

The thing is that price isn't even really for the driver itself, it's for the R&D for the driver that's coming out next year or two.. just like with medications/pharmaceuticals

But yeah I think people will keep paying it, or more will wait for the next cycles stuff to come out and still get these new at a discounted price.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Headhammer said:

We all have Dr. Bob to thank for the increase in the cost of golf equipment. He trailblazed a path to higher prices and when the other golf companies saw consumers were willing to pay it, they followed suit. 

It has nothing to do with Dr. Bob.  All brands offer clubs at different price levels and even with the addition of real deal px shafts this year titleist kept the same price on their woods.  Irons from several companies have had minimal increase in price since last release.

as was mentioned earlier in the thread the cost of materials, cost of labor, r&d, marketing all factor into the cost of the club.

One of the guys in my game yesterday to going to give the new TS a shot this next week. Titleist will be in town and making the rounds so he's going to try their fitting.

I'm concerned a new driver will not his answer. 🏌️‍♂️

• Like 1

Honestly I think this is the PXG effect. When they first came out everyone thought they were crazy to price their clubs so high. They proved they could sale clubs so now others are following.

13 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

One of the guys in my game yesterday to going to give the new TS a shot this next week. Titleist will be in town and making the rounds so he's going to try their fitting.

I'm concerned a new driver will not his answer. 🏌️‍♂️

type like yoda you do! 😋

Just don’t buy - lots of other drivers in the sea.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, revkev said:

Just don’t buy - lots of other drivers in the sea.

I second that Rev. I'm going to be entering the coming new year again with and old year 2014 SLDR. Unless a day or driver comes along where I've giving up yardage against my contemporaries and their latest and greatest drivers I'm sticking with old faithful.

19 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I was on the webiste of (our big box store up here in Canada ) Golftown  and looking at the  Titleist TS driver.

Are you sitting down for this --- $660 CAD.   

Are you friggin kidding me???

is there going to be a point where we as consumers say  " Enough is Enough". These prices arre getting out of hand.

titleistcost.png

Getting out of hand? I'd say driver prices have been out of hand for some time.

That looks like a bargain compared to some fly rods 😉.  Golf, like most sports is a marketing guy's dream.  There has always been a portion of those involved with a sport/hobby who like having the latest in gear.  I've never had that desire in most all things - the frugal side of me simply does not see the value.  The 3-4 year old Callaway driver I just purchased this past January retailed for over $300 new and I bought it for $50 including new grip and head cover.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It has nothing to do with Dr. Bob.  All brands offer clubs at different price levels and even with the addition of real deal px shafts this year titleist kept the same price on their woods.  Irons from several companies have had minimal increase in price since last release.

as was mentioned earlier in the thread the cost of materials, cost of labor, r&d, marketing all factor into the cost of the club.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but at the time PXG entered the market equipment sales had been negative for 5 consecutive years. PXG did not offer multiple lines and instead offered a high priced luxury item that outsold all of the other more expensive lines causing golf companies to rethink their pricing strategies. Historically companies built clubs to achieve a certain price point that they would rarely exceed. Now they are not letting those pricing norms dictate club features.

YES, I paid full retail for my G400 ($399 + tax).

YES, I recently bought and installed a new "upgraded" shaft for it ($95).

YES, it was a painful up-front cost but offset a bit with the sale of my G driver (good riddance) as well as the stock shaft from the 400.

NO regrets and NO apologies. When I'm on with it is a blast to hit and well worth the $$$. This will be in my bag for years to come as will my wedges ($170-ea x3).

Will I ever consider a buying a golf club at a higher price point in the future..? Hard to say for me anyway, but the ends of my bag are set for now. My next big thing is irons that actually work...🙏

• Like 2

That looks like a bargain compared to some fly rods .  Golf, like most sports is a marketing guy's dream.  There has always been a portion of those involved with a sport/hobby who like having the latest in gear.  I've never had that desire in most all things - the frugal side of me simply does not see the value.  The 3-4 year old Callaway driver I just purchased this past January retailed for over $300 new and I bought it for $50 including new grip and head cover.  

Oh yeah! I stopped buying brand new windsurf boards and sails and surfboards YEARS ago ... prices were taking big jumps every year.
(Of course that also coincided with me getting into golf and now spending plenty of $$$ on that.....)