TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING i500 Irons

hckymeyer

Earlier this year I swapped out my i200 4&5 irons for i500's. It was a wonderful switch, the extra height, distance and forgiveness have all been huge. That said, I don't think I'd go with a full set, the i200s do everything I want from the 6i down. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great reviews testers! A question that I have and did not see in any of the reviews (except watermark stains mentioned by @Kanoito) is how the new and improved "Hydroperal" finish is holding up?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great reviews testers! A question that I have and did not see in any of the reviews (except watermark stains mentioned by @Kanoito) is how the new and improved "Hydroperal" finish is holding up?  

It’s holding up pretty well on my set. I’ve been using them all off season during my lessons and I don’t notice any unusual wear. Although I haven’t washed them yet so maybe it’s hiding behind dirt lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

No noticeable wear on the finish. 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

So the hydropearl finish is doing just fine but I have another issue. I'm noticing cracking on the face along the apparent edge of the internal cavity. In other words, the face may be starting to cave in. It's the worst in my 6 iron followed by the 4 and 7. The rest of the set doesn't display this issue. 

DC3348AE-B0CE-43AD-9A0E-C2FE74E773D1.jpeg

Score one for Ping's 1-800 customer service though because they're going to replace the whole set at no cost. Just shipped the sticks away yesterday so I should have the new ones back in a week's time. 

WOW, thanks for sharing.  That's both good and bad news.  Good that PING is still aces is the customer service department, but bad that these, and perhaps other of the cavity back designs and/or selection of material, may be problematic.  Did you get any sense from them that this is a known issue?  

26 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

WOW, thanks for sharing.  That's both good and bad news.  Good that PING is still aces is the customer service department, but bad that these, and perhaps other of the cavity back designs and/or selection of material, may be problematic.  Did you get any sense from them that this is a known issue?  

Not as far as I can tell. The rep seemed surprised. I did a quick Google search too but saw nothing there either. On the design, I imagine the foam fill would've prevented this but I'm sure they would've had to give up something else to get it. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Another win for ping customer service! Seems surprising... Maybe that's where you were getting your crazy spin rates 😉

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Not as far as I can tell. The rep seemed surprised. I did a quick Google search too but saw nothing there either. On the design, I imagine the foam fill would've prevented this but I'm sure they would've had to give up something else to get it. 

Maybe they weren't designed for guys who hit 300+ yard drives? 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first outdoor range session with these irons this past week and to say I’m excited to play with these would be an understatement. Even though it was off mats I was able to hit all my shots. I’m glad I gave these the adjustment time over the winter because now i feel much more confident over the ball even looking at a 4i 

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

If you look on the Ping website reviews for the i500, there are a number there complaining about that very thing. I've had no real issues with mine but it is happening more than it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

10 hours ago, golfertrb said:

If you look on the Ping website reviews for the i500, there are a number there complaining about that very thing. I've had no real issues with mine but it is happening more than it should be.

I’ll make sure to keep a look out for this happening to mine

On 4/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

So the hydropearl finish is doing just fine but I have another issue. I'm noticing cracking on the face along the apparent edge of the internal cavity. In other words, the face may be starting to cave in. It's the worst in my 6 iron followed by the 4 and 7. The rest of the set doesn't display this issue. 

Score one for Ping's 1-800 customer service though because they're going to replace the whole set at no cost. Just shipped the sticks away yesterday so I should have the new ones back in a week's time. 

Got my new freshies today 😁

The replacement took a little longer because they were trying to contact me while I was out of the country. Wanted to make sure I didn't wanna make a change in specs or to a different model.

I thought hard about the iBlades but ultimately decided to stick with the i500s because I need more help than I'm readily willing to admit. Did make a spec change though, went with the Modus105 in X this time (instead of S) because I'm going after the ball much harder now on grass than I was during the fitting.

I know it's the same basic set but there's still nothing like taking the wrappers off a brand new set of irons. This must be what it feels like to be @Golfspy_CG2

2 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Got my new freshies today 😁

The replacement took a little longer because they were trying to contact me while I was out of the country. Wanted to make sure I didn't wanna make a change in specs or to a different model.

I thought hard about the iBlades but ultimately decided to stick with the i500s because I need more help than I'm readily willing to admit. Did make a spec change though, went with the Modus105 in X this time (instead of S) because I'm going after the ball much harder now on grass than I was during the fitting.

I know it's the same basic set but there's still nothing like taking the wrappers off a brand new set of irons. This must be what it feels like to be @Golfspy_CG2

It feels great doesn't it 

Excited Clapping GIF - Excited Clapping Giddy GIFs

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

PING has always been top drawer for their customer service. However, they have been trying to figure out the finish issues for a while. And to now see cracking on the face its not old school PING that was known to be bulletproof. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

On 4/5/2019 at 7:15 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

How did you notice that considering the cracks were so minute? Or are they visually apparent?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• 4 weeks later...

I had an opportunity to try these at Mesa Del Sol a couple months ago.  I was filling in for my buddy, who was on a cruise and normally orchestrates our Saturday golf, and had arrived early with some time to spare.  Paul (club pro) was busy but said to have at the Ping test cart and set-up my club.  Having been fitted for irons the summer of 2018, it was a snap.  Grabbed the Project X 5.5 LX +1/2", the green dot 7i and the wrench - really, they could not make this stuff any easier!

I had already been hitting my PE2's on the range and had a good groove going with my 5-7i. I switched over to the i500 and just never could get a consistent ball strike going. Sure, I drilled a few and they felt really nice, but for whatever reason, I just could not get this club to dance.  I switched back to my club and was still hitting well.  What gives? 🤨

Like @Kanoitostates, these irons are drop dead gorgeous - at least to my eye.  Nuttin fancy, just plain and simple with a look that say's "ball striper".  I tried them several times but still no love. I headed back to the kiosk feeling pretty disappointed.  I like the look of these irons so much, I was really hoping we'd find romance.  Maybe it was that shaft? I plan to ask my club fitter at my upcoming iron fitting part deux.  He never suggested this club last spring... perhaps he's a really good iron fitter. 😁

@fixyurdivot good to know I'm not the only crazy one here 😄

I wanted to keep them in the bag so very much. Just drop dead gorgeous! I guess I've paid my way into the proud club of "newer is not better" 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Got out today for the first dry golf of the season. The irons played great. First hole I had a 6i into a par 5 that left me just below the hole. These bad boys are staying in the bag for sure

• 2 months later...

E0429E82-619D-45BA-BE96-2D5C38EF0BC2.jpeg

Continuing my eagle tour, I thought I'd share it here as well. Yeah the drive was good, but that's a bomb of an 8 iron. I had 2 trees to clear so I threw it way up in the air (out of the rough) and it stopped where it landed. 

We talked a bit about this in the Blueprint thread but I'm finding that these i500s really nuke the ball out of the rough. It's like you can and should play for a consistent flyer. As much as I wish it was, 8 iron is not my 180 club. 

Forgot to share my lesson-learning experience to illustrate the fact that you've gotta take less, not more club out of the rough. 

The shot was 137, out of the rough, and I needed to clear a tree.

We can have a course management discussion about why I always have to carry trees separately 😰

151A5B53-109D-4250-8149-32CC835A3ABC.jpeg

Arccos tracked 146 because that's the hazard, but I'm telling you this shot would've easily carried 160. It was a deep deep Mark MacGuire home run to Big Mac Land in the way upper deck. Didn't even sniff landing in play and went into Neverland. In the air, it looked like it was flagged but nay, should've taken less club. 

This need to play shorter clubs is great for you guys that, ahem, need to carry trees. 

STUD - what are your carry distances with your irons typically?

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

6 hours ago, golfertrb said:

STUD - what are your carry distances with your irons typically?

Here's my smart ranges for this set. Looks like I should investigate the 4 iron.

253E2C65-D988-4001-95F9-2BF4A4A03919.jpeg

Here's my smart ranges for this set. Looks like I should investigate the 4 iron.
253E2C65-D988-4001-95F9-2BF4A4A03919.thumb.jpeg.98c7e132877a967055bbcd32bf14bb1d.jpeg

When I first looked at it I would have said 5 iron is the culprit. You are a bit longer than I am with a few clubs but the lower end of your range is in the same neighborhood. I asked because I don't have the carry distances some people do with the i500's. I have a pretty consistent 12 yards carry between mine under normal conditions with my 7 iron carry being 159.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 11:40 PM, golfertrb said:

When I first looked at it I would have said 5 iron is the culprit. You are a bit longer than I am with a few clubs but the lower end of your range is in the same neighborhood. I asked because I don't have the carry distances some people do with the i500's. I have a pretty consistent 12 yards carry between mine under normal conditions with my 7 iron carry being 159.

I've been working on a draw swing lately and have been nuking everything. Everything is on a great line but just much much longer. So I ended up dropping the 4 iron and I'm glad I did. I've got more than enough length with the 5 iron to close the gap up to hybrid and now I've got more flexibility at the bottom with my wedges. I don't have to take any full swings with wedges and I've been using the 60* for high flops to some decent success. 

Case in point, high flying 5 iron off the tee today for 236. 6 iron into a par 5 from 205 wind in face (GUR). Don't even need the 4 iron for punches. Last time out, playing with @Shankster, I hit a nice bullet through some trees to ramp down then up out of a bunker and finished on the fringe for an easy two putt par. Should've put the camera on it!

The 4 iron is chilling in my trunk but I just may move it to the garage or basement. 

I've been working on a draw swing lately and have been nuking everything. Everything is on a great line but just much much longer. So I ended up dropping the 4 iron and I'm glad I did. I've got more than enough length with the 5 iron to close the gap up to hybrid and now I've got more flexibility at the bottom with my wedges. I don't have to take any full swings with wedges and I've been using the 60* for high flops to some decent success. 

Case in point, high flying 5 iron off the tee today for 236. 6 iron into a par 5 from 205 wind in face (GUR). Don't even need the 4 iron for punches. Last time out, playing with [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention], I hit a nice bullet through some trees to ramp down then up out of a bunker and finished on the fringe for an easy two putt par. Should've put the camera on it!

The 4 iron is chilling in my trunk but I just may move it to the garage or basement. 

Yeah dude... you don’t need any extra speed that’s for sure. Your drive on 1 took me two shots to get to...

Have a lot of tricks in your bag that have left my skill set.

Not far off from being a super low handicap.

I got my replacement i500's today and it was really great to remove stickers and re-grip them :) The only change I made was to get them 1/2 long. I have played them like that for many, many years but when I ordered them originally it was missed. When I ordered them this time I had it corrected and it made such a difference. I was hitting everything much more center and I was seeing the ball flight I wanted. I hit some really close iron shots today and that always feels so good. The biggest tell was my 7 iron. That's a club I really enjoy hitting different yardages and types of shots with and the 7 iron was a club I struggled too control with my last set. Today was a different story and two shots come to mind. On the fourth hole, the pin was back left and there was a pretty stiff breeze into my face. I had 141 and I gripped down and hit a lovely knockdown to 10 ft. Later in the round on the par 3 15th - it was playing 158 with a front hole location over water into a slight breeze and I hit a sweet little cut shot to 3 ft. Neither of these shots were full and I had plenty of spin. Just really great sticks. The blended set with the Blueprint irons is really working :)

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

• 3 weeks later...

Picked-up set of these. 4-PW, TT DG X100 shafts. So far so good. Swing has a long way to go, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Picked-up set of these. 4-PW, TT DG X100 shafts. So far so good. Swing has a long way to go, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent! Looking forward to hearing how you get on with them.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer