Jump to content
hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING i500 Irons

Recommended Posts

Earlier this year I swapped out my i200 4&5 irons for i500's. It was a wonderful switch, the extra height, distance and forgiveness have all been huge. That said, I don't think I'd go with a full set, the i200s do everything I want from the 6i down. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hidey Ho, Stage 2 is live. Go check it out!

 

 

BLUF: These are a great set of irons in the right hands

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great reviews testers! A question that I have and did not see in any of the reviews (except watermark stains mentioned by @Kanoito) is how the new and improved "Hydroperal" finish is holding up?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great reviews testers! A question that I have and did not see in any of the reviews (except watermark stains mentioned by @Kanoito) is how the new and improved "Hydroperal" finish is holding up?  

It’s holding up pretty well on my set. I’ve been using them all off season during my lessons and I don’t notice any unusual wear. Although I haven’t washed them yet so maybe it’s hiding behind dirt lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

So the hydropearl finish is doing just fine but I have another issue. I'm noticing cracking on the face along the apparent edge of the internal cavity. In other words, the face may be starting to cave in. It's the worst in my 6 iron followed by the 4 and 7. The rest of the set doesn't display this issue. 

DC3348AE-B0CE-43AD-9A0E-C2FE74E773D1.jpeg

 

Score one for Ping's 1-800 customer service though because they're going to replace the whole set at no cost. Just shipped the sticks away yesterday so I should have the new ones back in a week's time. 

WOW, thanks for sharing.  That's both good and bad news.  Good that PING is still aces is the customer service department, but bad that these, and perhaps other of the cavity back designs and/or selection of material, may be problematic.  Did you get any sense from them that this is a known issue?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

WOW, thanks for sharing.  That's both good and bad news.  Good that PING is still aces is the customer service department, but bad that these, and perhaps other of the cavity back designs and/or selection of material, may be problematic.  Did you get any sense from them that this is a known issue?  

Not as far as I can tell. The rep seemed surprised. I did a quick Google search too but saw nothing there either. On the design, I imagine the foam fill would've prevented this but I'm sure they would've had to give up something else to get it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another win for ping customer service! Seems surprising... Maybe that's where you were getting your crazy spin rates 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Not as far as I can tell. The rep seemed surprised. I did a quick Google search too but saw nothing there either. On the design, I imagine the foam fill would've prevented this but I'm sure they would've had to give up something else to get it. 

Maybe they weren't designed for guys who hit 300+ yard drives? 😀

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my first outdoor range session with these irons this past week and to say I’m excited to play with these would be an understatement. Even though it was off mats I was able to hit all my shots. I’m glad I gave these the adjustment time over the winter because now i feel much more confident over the ball even looking at a 4i 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not as far as I can tell. The rep seemed surprised. I did a quick Google search too but saw nothing there either. On the design, I imagine the foam fill would've prevented this but I'm sure they would've had to give up something else to get it. 


If you look on the Ping website reviews for the i500, there are a number there complaining about that very thing. I've had no real issues with mine but it is happening more than it should be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, golfertrb said:

 


If you look on the Ping website reviews for the i500, there are a number there complaining about that very thing. I've had no real issues with mine but it is happening more than it should be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I’ll make sure to keep a look out for this happening to mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

So the hydropearl finish is doing just fine but I have another issue. I'm noticing cracking on the face along the apparent edge of the internal cavity. In other words, the face may be starting to cave in. It's the worst in my 6 iron followed by the 4 and 7. The rest of the set doesn't display this issue. 

DC3348AE-B0CE-43AD-9A0E-C2FE74E773D1.jpeg

 

Score one for Ping's 1-800 customer service though because they're going to replace the whole set at no cost. Just shipped the sticks away yesterday so I should have the new ones back in a week's time. 

Got my new freshies today 😁

The replacement took a little longer because they were trying to contact me while I was out of the country. Wanted to make sure I didn't wanna make a change in specs or to a different model.

I thought hard about the iBlades but ultimately decided to stick with the i500s because I need more help than I'm readily willing to admit. Did make a spec change though, went with the Modus105 in X this time (instead of S) because I'm going after the ball much harder now on grass than I was during the fitting.

I know it's the same basic set but there's still nothing like taking the wrappers off a brand new set of irons. This must be what it feels like to be @Golfspy_CG2

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Got my new freshies today 😁

The replacement took a little longer because they were trying to contact me while I was out of the country. Wanted to make sure I didn't wanna make a change in specs or to a different model.

I thought hard about the iBlades but ultimately decided to stick with the i500s because I need more help than I'm readily willing to admit. Did make a spec change though, went with the Modus105 in X this time (instead of S) because I'm going after the ball much harder now on grass than I was during the fitting.

I know it's the same basic set but there's still nothing like taking the wrappers off a brand new set of irons. This must be what it feels like to be @Golfspy_CG2

It feels great doesn't it 

Excited Clapping GIF - Excited Clapping Giddy GIFs

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PING has always been top drawer for their customer service. However, they have been trying to figure out the finish issues for a while. And to now see cracking on the face its not old school PING that was known to be bulletproof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 7:15 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

So the hydropearl finish is doing just fine but I have another issue. I'm noticing cracking on the face along the apparent edge of the internal cavity. In other words, the face may be starting to cave in. It's the worst in my 6 iron followed by the 4 and 7. The rest of the set doesn't display this issue. 

DC3348AE-B0CE-43AD-9A0E-C2FE74E773D1.jpeg

 

Score one for Ping's 1-800 customer service though because they're going to replace the whole set at no cost. Just shipped the sticks away yesterday so I should have the new ones back in a week's time. 

How did you notice that considering the cracks were so minute? Or are they visually apparent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an opportunity to try these at Mesa Del Sol a couple months ago.  I was filling in for my buddy, who was on a cruise and normally orchestrates our Saturday golf, and had arrived early with some time to spare.  Paul (club pro) was busy but said to have at the Ping test cart and set-up my club.  Having been fitted for irons the summer of 2018, it was a snap.  Grabbed the Project X 5.5 LX +1/2", the green dot 7i and the wrench - really, they could not make this stuff any easier!

I had already been hitting my PE2's on the range and had a good groove going with my 5-7i. I switched over to the i500 and just never could get a consistent ball strike going. Sure, I drilled a few and they felt really nice, but for whatever reason, I just could not get this club to dance.  I switched back to my club and was still hitting well.  What gives? 🤨

Like @Kanoitostates, these irons are drop dead gorgeous - at least to my eye.  Nuttin fancy, just plain and simple with a look that say's "ball striper".  I tried them several times but still no love. I headed back to the kiosk feeling pretty disappointed.  I like the look of these irons so much, I was really hoping we'd find romance.  Maybe it was that shaft? I plan to ask my club fitter at my upcoming iron fitting part deux.  He never suggested this club last spring... perhaps he's a really good iron fitter. 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@fixyurdivot good to know I'm not the only crazy one here 😄

I wanted to keep them in the bag so very much. Just drop dead gorgeous! I guess I've paid my way into the proud club of "newer is not better" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got out today for the first dry golf of the season. The irons played great. First hole I had a 6i into a par 5 that left me just below the hole. These bad boys are staying in the bag for sure

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...