hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING i500 Irons

E0429E82-619D-45BA-BE96-2D5C38EF0BC2.jpeg

Continuing my eagle tour, I thought I'd share it here as well. Yeah the drive was good, but that's a bomb of an 8 iron. I had 2 trees to clear so I threw it way up in the air (out of the rough) and it stopped where it landed. 

We talked a bit about this in the Blueprint thread but I'm finding that these i500s really nuke the ball out of the rough. It's like you can and should play for a consistent flyer. As much as I wish it was, 8 iron is not my 180 club. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Forgot to share my lesson-learning experience to illustrate the fact that you've gotta take less, not more club out of the rough. 

The shot was 137, out of the rough, and I needed to clear a tree.

We can have a course management discussion about why I always have to carry trees separately 😰

151A5B53-109D-4250-8149-32CC835A3ABC.jpeg

Arccos tracked 146 because that's the hazard, but I'm telling you this shot would've easily carried 160. It was a deep deep Mark MacGuire home run to Big Mac Land in the way upper deck. Didn't even sniff landing in play and went into Neverland. In the air, it looked like it was flagged but nay, should've taken less club. 

This need to play shorter clubs is great for you guys that, ahem, need to carry trees. 

• Like 1

STUD - what are your carry distances with your irons typically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, golfertrb said:

STUD - what are your carry distances with your irons typically?

Here's my smart ranges for this set. Looks like I should investigate the 4 iron.

253E2C65-D988-4001-95F9-2BF4A4A03919.jpeg

• Like 2

Here's my smart ranges for this set. Looks like I should investigate the 4 iron.
253E2C65-D988-4001-95F9-2BF4A4A03919.thumb.jpeg.98c7e132877a967055bbcd32bf14bb1d.jpeg

When I first looked at it I would have said 5 iron is the culprit. You are a bit longer than I am with a few clubs but the lower end of your range is in the same neighborhood. I asked because I don't have the carry distances some people do with the i500's. I have a pretty consistent 12 yards carry between mine under normal conditions with my 7 iron carry being 159.

On 7/28/2019 at 11:40 PM, golfertrb said:

When I first looked at it I would have said 5 iron is the culprit. You are a bit longer than I am with a few clubs but the lower end of your range is in the same neighborhood. I asked because I don't have the carry distances some people do with the i500's. I have a pretty consistent 12 yards carry between mine under normal conditions with my 7 iron carry being 159.

I've been working on a draw swing lately and have been nuking everything. Everything is on a great line but just much much longer. So I ended up dropping the 4 iron and I'm glad I did. I've got more than enough length with the 5 iron to close the gap up to hybrid and now I've got more flexibility at the bottom with my wedges. I don't have to take any full swings with wedges and I've been using the 60* for high flops to some decent success. 

Case in point, high flying 5 iron off the tee today for 236. 6 iron into a par 5 from 205 wind in face (GUR). Don't even need the 4 iron for punches. Last time out, playing with @Shankster, I hit a nice bullet through some trees to ramp down then up out of a bunker and finished on the fringe for an easy two putt par. Should've put the camera on it!

The 4 iron is chilling in my trunk but I just may move it to the garage or basement. 

• Like 6

I've been working on a draw swing lately and have been nuking everything. Everything is on a great line but just much much longer. So I ended up dropping the 4 iron and I'm glad I did. I've got more than enough length with the 5 iron to close the gap up to hybrid and now I've got more flexibility at the bottom with my wedges. I don't have to take any full swings with wedges and I've been using the 60* for high flops to some decent success. 

Case in point, high flying 5 iron off the tee today for 236. 6 iron into a par 5 from 205 wind in face (GUR). Don't even need the 4 iron for punches. Last time out, playing with [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention], I hit a nice bullet through some trees to ramp down then up out of a bunker and finished on the fringe for an easy two putt par. Should've put the camera on it!

The 4 iron is chilling in my trunk but I just may move it to the garage or basement. 

Yeah dude... you don’t need any extra speed that’s for sure. Your drive on 1 took me two shots to get to...

Have a lot of tricks in your bag that have left my skill set.

Not far off from being a super low handicap.
  • Like 4

I got my replacement i500's today and it was really great to remove stickers and re-grip them :) The only change I made was to get them 1/2 long. I have played them like that for many, many years but when I ordered them originally it was missed. When I ordered them this time I had it corrected and it made such a difference. I was hitting everything much more center and I was seeing the ball flight I wanted. I hit some really close iron shots today and that always feels so good. The biggest tell was my 7 iron. That's a club I really enjoy hitting different yardages and types of shots with and the 7 iron was a club I struggled too control with my last set. Today was a different story and two shots come to mind. On the fourth hole, the pin was back left and there was a pretty stiff breeze into my face. I had 141 and I gripped down and hit a lovely knockdown to 10 ft. Later in the round on the par 3 15th - it was playing 158 with a front hole location over water into a slight breeze and I hit a sweet little cut shot to 3 ft. Neither of these shots were full and I had plenty of spin. Just really great sticks. The blended set with the Blueprint irons is really working :)

• Like 2

Picked-up set of these. 4-PW, TT DG X100 shafts. So far so good. Swing has a long way to go, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Picked-up set of these. 4-PW, TT DG X100 shafts. So far so good. Swing has a long way to go, though.

Excellent! Looking forward to hearing how you get on with them.

• Like 1

I am REALLLLLLY liking my i500 irons. Looks, feel, and especially the performance. My swing has been a work-in-progress for awhile now, and these irons have provided me a bit of consistency that I haven’t had since working to improve. I’m headed to Club Champion on Monday to do a wedge fitting, and check my distances with these, so I think I’ll get some distances confirmed finally so I’m excited about that! I wasn’t expecting much from these, but they have been a nice addition! I haven’t liked irons this much since my Ping i20s!

• Like 2

I am REALLLLLLY liking my i500 irons. Looks, feel, and especially the performance. My swing has been a work-in-progress for awhile now, and these irons have provided me a bit of consistency that I haven’t had since working to improve. I’m headed to Club Champion on Monday to do a wedge fitting, and check my distances with these, so I think I’ll get some distances confirmed finally so I’m excited about that! I wasn’t expecting much from these, but they have been a nice addition! I haven’t liked irons this much since my Ping i20s!

I'm really glad to hear that! I'm really enjoying mine too. I had mine replaced recently due to a warranty issue and the new ones are great. I'm liking the Blueprint short irons and I'm thinking I may replace the 8 iron with Blueprint as well but the i500's are great. So clean and get through the turf well. The only thing that's weird is the new four iron is really loud - you can really tell it's hollow. My old 4 didn't do that but I had the new irons built to 1/2" long and so they didn't need to add any rat glue to get the swing weight right so I think that is the difference. I added something to them last night so I will see if that makes a difference or not. I can get over the sound due to performance BUT if I can get better sound and keep performance, that would be great. Interested to hear what carry numbers you get when you do the wedge fitting - I had to make some changes in my wedge set up since I went to the i500's.

I'm really glad to hear that! I'm really enjoying mine too. I had mine replaced recently due to a warranty issue and the new ones are great. I'm liking the Blueprint short irons and I'm thinking I may replace the 8 iron with Blueprint as well but the i500's are great. So clean and get through the turf well. The only thing that's weird is the new four iron is really loud - you can really tell it's hollow. My old 4 didn't do that but I had the new irons built to 1/2" long and so they didn't need to add any rat glue to get the swing weight right so I think that is the difference. I added something to them last night so I will see if that makes a difference or not. I can get over the sound due to performance BUT if I can get better sound and keep performance, that would be great. Interested to hear what carry numbers you get when you do the wedge fitting - I had to make some changes in my wedge set up since I went to the i500's.

Yeah, that’s why I’m going. My gaps just don’t work since I’m not hitting the PW as far. I’m thinking of going 52*/56* only instead of 50/54/58 I have now. We’ll see. I’m gonna hit irons as well to get some firm distance numbers to try and get the gaps just right.

I read about folks taking out the screw and inserting cotton to deaden the sound.

Yeah, that’s why I’m going. My gaps just don’t work since I’m not hitting the PW as far. I’m thinking of going 52*/56* only instead of 50/54/58 I have now. We’ll see. I’m gonna hit irons as well to get some firm distance numbers to try and get the gaps just right.

I read about folks taking out the screw and inserting cotton to deaden the sound.

I have tried a few things to varying degrees of success. I made some alterations the other night which I will be trying tomorrow. I'll report back :)

• Like 1

During my wedge fitting today at Club Champion the fitter let me hit my i500s so we could determine if they needed any changes. He said no way, stay with these, but since he’s fitted me in the past, he noticed my swing had changed and become flatter. We throw some tape on the PW and 6 iron, and sure enough, I needed a flatter lie. He bent all of my irons, and even my wedges, for nothing. I got back on TrackMan and they were going dead straight to a little draw!!! Woo-hoo! I’m glad Ben let me check them!!!

• Like 2

During my wedge fitting today at Club Champion the fitter let me hit my i500s so we could determine if they needed any changes. He said no way, stay with these, but since he’s fitted me in the past, he noticed my swing had changed and become flatter. We throw some tape on the PW and 6 iron, and sure enough, I needed a flatter lie. He bent all of my irons, and even my wedges, for nothing. I got back on TrackMan and they were going dead straight to a little draw!!! Woo-hoo! I’m glad Ben let me check them!!!

That's so great! So nice to have confidence in your sticks

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Yeah the drive was good, but that's a bomb of an 8 iron.

I'll say. I can gut my 8i on hard dirt and get 180 yds 😆.  I sure liked the looks of the i500, just couldn't make them perform consistently.

• Like 2