hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING i500 Irons

Who had two thumbs and just posted their Stage 1?

THIS GUY

The last shot in my video is a tutorial for Mason Crosby and fantasy football kickers everywhere

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

emoji1303.pngTHIS GUYemoji1303.png

The last shot in my video is a tutorial for Mason Crosby and fantasy football kickers everywhere emoji6.png

Nice start. We both had the same irons so it’ll be interesting to see if we have simailr findings with the i500s

4 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

emoji1303.pngTHIS GUYemoji1303.png

The last shot in my video is a tutorial for Mason Crosby and fantasy football kickers everywhere emoji6.png

not bad for a beginner

😀😀

Me too, but we have top golf opening here soon so you guys will have to make a trip down this winter for some fun!

Right near the Pizza place we are at, correct? I believe I saw the netting for it as I was headed back to the Interstate.

At least it looked like Top Golf netting from others I've been too.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing
  • Like 1

Great job on the Stage 1's guys. We definitely have some talented photographers in the group.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Right near the Pizza place we are at, correct? I believe I saw the netting for it as I was headed back to the Interstate.

At least it looked like Top Golf netting from others I've been too.

That's the place. It's right next to an Ikea so if your fiance doesn't golf, you can drop her there for a few hours and hit balls.

• Like 1

That's the place. It's right next to an Ikea so if your fiance doesn't golf, you can drop her there for a few hours and hit balls.

Ha. We have half an apartment furnished with Ikea. The surprising thing is, most of it is almost 20 years old. Who says it's stuff doesn't last.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I'd be great if you weighed in as well. I'd love to hear the comparison you have between the i500 and your old set.

So my old set were Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-PW with C-taper lite stiff shafts.  My i500s are 6-PW with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts.  I am currently experimenting with the Taylor Gapr mid 5 iron replacement, but I might buy an i500 5 iron in the future.  I did not like the 5 iron in my JPX set because the set has very low bounce and I tended dig too much, especially with the 5 iron.  The GAPR has a nice wide sole, and so far so good on nothing too chunky.  The i500s do have higher bounce than the JPX900s though, so I am not ruling out getting the 5 iron later.

Some other thoughts are that I love the look of the i500 vs. my JPX 900s, and the JPX were some nice looking clubs, but the i500s are just a bit less clunky and have less offset which is always good for a guy whose miss is a hook.  I think Ping was really smart with how they beveled the topline of the i500s.  It creates an optical illusion that makes the club appear much smaller.

Performance wise, the i500 do not seem to be any less forgiving than the slightly clunkier JPX 900 forged, which is impressive.  Objectively, the i500s are also about 7 yards longer in the 7 iron (I was able to compare using Trackman when I got fit at the outdoor range).  Subjectively, the i500s appear to fly about half to 2/3 of a club longer, as there is a 147 yard target (an island green with a pin in the center) at the driving range that I couldn't quite reach with my old 9 iron, but can easily reach now with the i500s.  Finally, I absolutely love the feel of the LZ shafts, they have a nice feeling of loading and unloading that the C-taper just doesn't quite have.  I was a bit surprised by the difference in feel because when I was fit for my Mizunos both the c-taper lite and lz were recommended for me.  I have only played 9 holes of golf with these so I don't have a lot of on the course information to share, but I am playing today and it is pretty windy since the remnants of the hurricane just passed to our south last night.  Hopefully, I will have some good insights as to how these play in the wind because on normal shots they do fly noticeably higher than my JPX900s. 

• Like 3

Very jealous of these clubs, love the write ups and photos guys 😁😎

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 10:52 AM, jtnunley1983 said:

So my old set were Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-PW with C-taper lite stiff shafts.  My i500s are 6-PW with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts.  I am currently experimenting with the Taylor Gapr mid 5 iron replacement, but I might buy an i500 5 iron in the future.  I did not like the 5 iron in my JPX set because the set has very low bounce and I tended dig too much, especially with the 5 iron.  The GAPR has a nice wide sole, and so far so good on nothing too chunky.  The i500s do have higher bounce than the JPX900s though, so I am not ruling out getting the 5 iron later.

Some other thoughts are that I love the look of the i500 vs. my JPX 900s, and the JPX were some nice looking clubs, but the i500s are just a bit less clunky and have less offset which is always good for a guy whose miss is a hook.  I think Ping was really smart with how they beveled the topline of the i500s.  It creates an optical illusion that makes the club appear much smaller.

Performance wise, the i500 do not seem to be any less forgiving than the slightly clunkier JPX 900 forged, which is impressive.  Objectively, the i500s are also about 7 yards longer in the 7 iron (I was able to compare using Trackman when I got fit at the outdoor range).  Subjectively, the i500s appear to fly about half to 2/3 of a club longer, as there is a 147 yard target (an island green with a pin in the center) at the driving range that I couldn't quite reach with my old 9 iron, but can easily reach now with the i500s.  Finally, I absolutely love the feel of the LZ shafts, they have a nice feeling of loading and unloading that the C-taper just doesn't quite have.  I was a bit surprised by the difference in feel because when I was fit for my Mizunos both the c-taper lite and lz were recommended for me.  I have only played 9 holes of golf with these so I don't have a lot of on the course information to share, but I am playing today and it is pretty windy since the remnants of the hurricane just passed to our south last night.  Hopefully, I will have some good insights as to how these play in the wind because on normal shots they do fly noticeably higher than my JPX900s. 

I just want to follow up on my post and note that I had no real issues with the wind at all.  I was able to control the flight when needed and also noticed on a few full swings into the wind taht the clubs performed quite well, and I only experienced a bit of ballooning on one shot with a 9 iron where a huge gust came in while the ball was in mid-flight.  On that shot, I was shooting for a back pin and while the ball did balloon and did come up short, it still reached the green about 1/3 of the way back to the pin.

Wow, you guys have done an amazing job on your stage 1's.. I cannot wait for stage 2's.. Of all the testers has anyone played Ping clubs previously? I have had 2 set, i-3 o-size, and the G25's, I was wondering how they feel compared to previous offerings? 

I'm a little jealous, I think Pings are Kind of underappreciated.. and those clubs look fantastic.. Keep up the great work we are all waiting on stage 2's.. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

Wow, you guys have done an amazing job on your stage 1's.. I cannot wait for stage 2's.. Of all the testers has anyone played Ping clubs previously? I have had 2 set, i-3 o-size, and the G25's, I was wondering how they feel compared to previous offerings? 

I'm a little jealous, I think Pings are Kind of underappreciated.. and those clubs look fantastic.. Keep up the great work we are all waiting on stage 2's.. 

I did play the Rapture V2 when I first took golf. They were fairly easy to hit, but of course, I wanted more... I've probably tried every iteration from the i and G series, never got along with them.
They look fantastic, I'll give you that.

2 hours ago, Reesedw said:

I have a G25 3i that had bent to 19° a while back before I found my current 3i

I haven’t gamed Ping irons since the i3’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Reesedw said:

Thanks Dw.

I havent. 

My only experience is with an  i3 back in 2003. I was at a store and tried it and even though I couldn't swing, I had 1 shot that felt so great. that was it.

images.jpg

Love it Har, you're getting some serious launch there 😁😎

• Like 1