hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING i500 Irons

Well done! Thanks for the honest review. Is anyone really enamored with these clubs? They definitely look great, but reviews seem pretty mixed, at best.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks. I want to love these, but I just can’t get them too work. Maybe I was just so excited for these and way too much hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Do you have any ideas why the 6 irons went farther than the 4 or 5? Inconsistent striking or something else? 

great question.

I never focued on the 5 or 4 as the 6 was working great. and that is one question i need to answer next summer. Are they as easy to hit as the 6? and what will that distance be like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GC70 said:

Thanks. I want to love these, but I just can’t get them too work. Maybe I was just so excited for these and way too much hype.

For me , i was hyped about the distance, but once it sank in about the problems i was encountering because of it or  the second guessing i was doing,  i said... I'd rather be short and consistent . and i found that my well struck short irons were the same distance.

• Like 3

For me , i was hyped about the distance, but once it sank in about the problems i was encountering because of it or  the second guessing i was doing,  i said... I'd rather be short and consistent . and i found that my well struck short irons were the same distance.

Yes the short irons were just as long as a all my other clubs or shorter. Mainly shorter!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I'm a bit away from having a stage 2 ready but I wanted to drop in for a little update now that I've finished my irons-only experiment and am back to using the full bag. It feels weird being the only one seeing benefits from these clubs. I'm happy they work for me, but am surprised at other findings.

For my little experiment I played to some basic ground rules:

1) Can't hit the same club twice in a row
2) Can't tee off with the same club 2 holes in a row (skipping par 3s)
3) If Arccos usage for some dropped below the rest, play to yardages that'll dictate those clubs into greens

...then I gradually moved up the bag in phase

-Simplified course management is fun! I've tied my best Arccos score twice. Maybe I should lose the woods and wedges permanently?

That's all I've got for now. As I stated in my last mini-update, these irons can be a great fit for a very specific player but may not have widespread appeal. So far, they fit me and I'm very pleased with their performance.

interesting approach. So what is the reasoning behind rules #1 and #2? or just your own rules you came up with?

And  i agree with the simplified course management. it was fun shooting from the fairway when i also put away my woods. 

And the guy i was playing with (an older gentleman) looked at my 6i and said "this is an iron?"

i am glad tto see hat you are reaping the benefits of these irons.

interesting approach. So what is the reasoning behind rules #1 and #2? or just your own rules you came up with?

Well yes, they're all rules I came up with. They're meant to inspire organic variety. It stems from the fact that I didn't want to just hammer 4 irons off every tee box because, even being shorter off the tee, I didn't get many opportunities to hit 4,5, or 6 into greens.

I sort of tried a similar approach in the short game but didn't always stick to it since I didn't make it an "official" rule. This worked to my detriment so I probably should make a rule #4.

I know when I hit the G700's for the first time at a local pro shop, there was a dramatic difference in sound between off the mats and off the grass.  Did any of you experience the same thing with the i500's?

Love the stage twos and honesty so far 😁😎.

Har, what made the decision for you on where to do the split in the set?

8 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I know when I hit the G700's for the first time at a local pro shop, there was a dramatic difference in sound between off the mats and off the grass.  Did any of you experience the same thing with the i500's?

I didn't notice much difference between mats and grass. In both scenarios, my CF16 still felt/sounded better.
I really wish I had a professional mic to capture the sound difference.

But the inconsistent distances you guys were seeing, that's baffling... I would have to guess my constant toe hits are not giving me any consistent yardages either, so 2 wrongs make a right? :lol:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

I didn't notice much difference between mats and grass. In both scenarios, my CF16 still felt/sounded better.
I really wish I had a professional mic to capture the sound difference.

But the inconsistent distances you guys were seeing, that's baffling... I would have to guess my constant toe hits are not giving me any consistent yardages either, so 2 wrongs make a right? :lol:

Mate you have me so confused as to how you're shooting such good scores with that lovely toe strike 🤔🤣😎

@GC70 Harsh but fair George, great review. Seems like Ping "may" have gotten it wrong with these clubs for the majority.

• Like 1

[mention=76025]GC70[/mention] Harsh but fair George, great review. Seems like Ping "may" have gotten it wrong with these clubs for the majority.

I wasn’t trying to be harsh. I just wanted these to work for me. I’m definitely going to try again in the spring.
I hope everyone takes it with a grain of salt. Ping makes great clubs! These just don’t work for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

Mate you have me so confused as to how you're shooting such good scores with that lovely toe strike 🤔🤣😎

Keep it in the fairway off the tee, putting and wedge game can make up for those shitty iron shots. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 11:03 AM, Mr_Theoo said:

I have another lesson today. Hopefully get some things worked out because the last 2 range sessions have been brutal. More me than the clubs I think though. On the shots I’ve hit pure I’m seeing at least as much height as I’m used to. Hard to tell with range balls in the dark though

Sunday my lesson was more of a playing lesson on the sim. While not real golf it was my first real test with shot making with these. I’d say a lot of the uneasiness I had with bad range sessions went away with a few tweaks to set up. We only did 9 holes but I ended up paring the last 5 of them hitting great iron shots into the greens. 

Hope to get out Saturday for some real and most likely last golf of the year but the weather may not be in my favor. I think a trip to top golf might be in order as well to test some shot making ability of these clubs

• Like 4

Bumping GC70's Stage 2 per his request.

• Like 3

Well I got rained out for real golf today so I went to the new Topgolf to at least have some real targets to hit. I’m still getting used to the clubs throughout the whole bag but I might have fallen in love with the 9i today. It just goes so high and far

• Like 3

On 10/25/2018 at 3:28 AM, Nunfa0 said:

Love the stage twos and honesty so far 😁😎.

Har, what made the decision for you on where to do the split in the set?

Thanks Nun.

Sorry for the late reply.  

the  decision was based upon the yardgage gaps. if i kept my 7i, i would have had about a 40 yard gap to the ping 6i. 

and i need to evaluate my yardages next year and i will do more testing.

This will still be a work in progress. 

• Like 3

Thanks Nun.
Sorry for the late reply.  
the  decision was based upon the yardgage gaps. if i kept my 7i, i would have had about a 40 yard gap to the ping 6i. 
and i need to evaluate my yardages next year and i will do more testing.
This will still be a work in progress. 
Do you think you would consider sending them to ping and getting them into retro lofts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Do you think you would consider sending them to ping and getting them into retro lofts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great question. I have to see.
One thing about delofting on the long irons is if you lower the trajectory, you need to make it up with ball speed. That is my understanding.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app