Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING i500 Irons

hckymeyer

I am REALLLLLLY liking my i500 irons. Looks, feel, and especially the performance. My swing has been a work-in-progress for awhile now, and these irons have provided me a bit of consistency that I haven’t had since working to improve. I’m headed to Club Champion on Monday to do a wedge fitting, and check my distances with these, so I think I’ll get some distances confirmed finally so I’m excited about that! I wasn’t expecting much from these, but they have been a nice addition! I haven’t liked irons this much since my Ping i20s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I am REALLLLLLY liking my i500 irons. Looks, feel, and especially the performance. My swing has been a work-in-progress for awhile now, and these irons have provided me a bit of consistency that I haven’t had since working to improve. I’m headed to Club Champion on Monday to do a wedge fitting, and check my distances with these, so I think I’ll get some distances confirmed finally so I’m excited about that! I wasn’t expecting much from these, but they have been a nice addition! I haven’t liked irons this much since my Ping i20s!

I'm really glad to hear that! I'm really enjoying mine too. I had mine replaced recently due to a warranty issue and the new ones are great. I'm liking the Blueprint short irons and I'm thinking I may replace the 8 iron with Blueprint as well but the i500's are great. So clean and get through the turf well. The only thing that's weird is the new four iron is really loud - you can really tell it's hollow. My old 4 didn't do that but I had the new irons built to 1/2" long and so they didn't need to add any rat glue to get the swing weight right so I think that is the difference. I added something to them last night so I will see if that makes a difference or not. I can get over the sound due to performance BUT if I can get better sound and keep performance, that would be great. Interested to hear what carry numbers you get when you do the wedge fitting - I had to make some changes in my wedge set up since I went to the i500's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I'm really glad to hear that! I'm really enjoying mine too. I had mine replaced recently due to a warranty issue and the new ones are great. I'm liking the Blueprint short irons and I'm thinking I may replace the 8 iron with Blueprint as well but the i500's are great. So clean and get through the turf well. The only thing that's weird is the new four iron is really loud - you can really tell it's hollow. My old 4 didn't do that but I had the new irons built to 1/2" long and so they didn't need to add any rat glue to get the swing weight right so I think that is the difference. I added something to them last night so I will see if that makes a difference or not. I can get over the sound due to performance BUT if I can get better sound and keep performance, that would be great. Interested to hear what carry numbers you get when you do the wedge fitting - I had to make some changes in my wedge set up since I went to the i500's.

Yeah, that’s why I’m going. My gaps just don’t work since I’m not hitting the PW as far. I’m thinking of going 52*/56* only instead of 50/54/58 I have now. We’ll see. I’m gonna hit irons as well to get some firm distance numbers to try and get the gaps just right.

I read about folks taking out the screw and inserting cotton to deaden the sound.

Yeah, that’s why I’m going. My gaps just don’t work since I’m not hitting the PW as far. I’m thinking of going 52*/56* only instead of 50/54/58 I have now. We’ll see. I’m gonna hit irons as well to get some firm distance numbers to try and get the gaps just right.

I read about folks taking out the screw and inserting cotton to deaden the sound.

I have tried a few things to varying degrees of success. I made some alterations the other night which I will be trying tomorrow. I'll report back :)

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

During my wedge fitting today at Club Champion the fitter let me hit my i500s so we could determine if they needed any changes. He said no way, stay with these, but since he’s fitted me in the past, he noticed my swing had changed and become flatter. We throw some tape on the PW and 6 iron, and sure enough, I needed a flatter lie. He bent all of my irons, and even my wedges, for nothing. I got back on TrackMan and they were going dead straight to a little draw!!! Woo-hoo! I’m glad Ben let me check them!!!

During my wedge fitting today at Club Champion the fitter let me hit my i500s so we could determine if they needed any changes. He said no way, stay with these, but since he’s fitted me in the past, he noticed my swing had changed and become flatter. We throw some tape on the PW and 6 iron, and sure enough, I needed a flatter lie. He bent all of my irons, and even my wedges, for nothing. I got back on TrackMan and they were going dead straight to a little draw!!! Woo-hoo! I’m glad Ben let me check them!!!

That's so great! So nice to have confidence in your sticks

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

On 7/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Yeah the drive was good, but that's a bomb of an 8 iron.

I'll say. I can gut my 8i on hard dirt and get 180 yds 😆.  I sure liked the looks of the i500, just couldn't make them perform consistently.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 months later...

I hit a bunch of balls at the range yesterday with my i500s and I’ve really gotten used to their hard feel. Well, when I pulled-out my Vega wedges and hit those for the first time, they were like butter! Going back to the i500 felt harsh, almost, and by the end of the session, I couldn’t pinpoint a single shot with the i500s that felt “good”, or where I knew I flushed it. It really stood-out yesterday....

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

I hit a bunch of balls at the range yesterday with my i500s and I’ve really gotten used to their hard feel. Well, when I pulled-out my Vega wedges and hit those for the first time, they were like butter! Going back to the i500 felt harsh, almost, and by the end of the session, I couldn’t pinpoint a single shot with the i500s that felt “good”, or where I knew I flushed it. It really stood-out yesterday....

Yup, they're definitely not consistently great feeling irons but they hit it well and keep it straight. I find it comes out the most pure with 3/4 swings...dunno what it is about full speed but it usually feels noticeably worse.

I purposely clubbed up on most shots when I played a few weeks back and had one of my better ball striking days in a while. Very pure, very much on target, and easy on the hands in the cold weather. 

They'll never feel forged, but I'm still digging the other attributes. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Yup, they're definitely not consistently great feeling irons but they hit it well and keep it straight. I find it comes out the most pure with 3/4 swings...dunno what it is about full speed but it usually feels noticeably worse.

I purposely clubbed up on most shots when I played a few weeks back and had one of my better ball striking days in a while. Very pure, very much on target, and easy on the hands in the cold weather. 

They'll never feel forged, but I'm still digging the other attributes. 

I agree with all of this. I finished the last 15 balls hitting 3/4 shots and they all went out on a great line, great height for me, and on target. Oh, man, if these were forged.... They’d be the perfect iron!

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2019 at 5:17 AM, golfertrb said:

I have tried a few things to varying degrees of success. I made some alterations the other night which I will be trying tomorrow. I'll report back 🙂

Any updates?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 7 months later...

I've seen a lot of comments on the i500 in this forum. I was fit for irons this week and the fitter is steering me toward i500 or Taylormade P770. I've seen some negative comments on feel, which concern me. Seems that some comments are that the face is so explosive that its hard to control distances on greenside chipping or yardage control on partial shots with 8-PW. Anyone with experience on this aspect after having played the i500 for 50+ rounds would be appreciated.  

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)