hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING i500 Irons

With how crazy life has been the past few months, I'm not just catching up on this thread. To all the reviewers, great job with your reviews. This is a set of irons that I"ve had my eye on, along with some others (and possibly more come new releases). Enjoyed reading your thoughts and look forward to hearing more in the future! Keep up the great work!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

With how crazy life has been the past few months, I'm not just catching up on this thread. To all the reviewers, great job with your reviews. This is a set of irons that I"ve had my eye on, along with some others (and possibly more come new releases). Enjoyed reading your thoughts and look forward to hearing more in the future! Keep up the great work!

I'm glad you enjoyed the reviews. 

thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Stage is up. Thanks again to Ping and MGS for this review opportunity!

Well done, Theoo! Can't wait to swing them the next time we are able to get together!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

Well done, Theoo! Can't wait to swing them the next time we are able to get together!

For sure! I had a practice session at GOLFTEC yesterday and at the end I just tried to see how far I could hit the 4i and I got one about as far as I was hitting that 3i when we played

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I love this 

You give a group of guys a set of clubs, tell them to enjoy, and what happens....everyone walks a different road experiencing different joys along that path but we all end up meeting at a common spot or in this case... a common theme.

myself ... I was not impressed with the clubs with the exception of the 6i.  the wedge I did not like due to the fact that I could get  20 yard spread in distances and hence the lack of trust. need to combine with my set?

Then you have STUDque that just raves about the GW and the ability to perform a variety of shots, 

GC70 doesn't want to play them  

Kanoito struggled with toe hits so he's still in the figuring it out.

Mr. Theo enjoyed the 4i distance and trajectory but also needs more on course testing for an further evaluation.

So if i am not mistaken the common theme is that so far no one is enamoured  with the i500's saying "Wow, I'm playing these from now on" but still more testing is needed in order to complete the journey.

• Like 6

Nice recap, Har.

One thing that might have helped me was if I got these in July, so I could really get better comparisons.
The PW is just no good for me. Maybe it needs the loft and lie checked out.
I feel bad for Ping and all the GolfSpys, that I really couldn’t test them out the way I wanted. I did play them enough to know that they won’t be in the starting lineup in 2019. I will definitely test them again against my gamers.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I love this 

You give a group of guys a set of clubs, tell them to enjoy, and what happens....everyone walks a different road experiencing different joys along that path but we all end up meeting at a common spot or in this case... a common theme.

myself ... I was not impressed with the clubs with the exception of the 6i.  the wedge I did not like due to the fact that I could get  20 yard spread in distances and hence the lack of trust. need to combine with my set?

Then you have STUDque that just raves about the GW and the ability to perform a variety of shots, 

GC70 doesn't want to play them  

Kanoito struggled with toe hits so he's still in the figuring it out.

Mr. Theo enjoyed the 4i distance and trajectory but also needs more on course testing for an further evaluation.

So if i am not mistaken the common theme is that so far no one is enamoured  with the i500's saying "Wow, I'm playing these from now on" but still more testing is needed in order to complete the journey.

I was thinking the same thing Har, I just love the honesty of the reviews and I love that it shows just how different all of us are. One thing I think people should take from all of this is reading reviews is an excellent source of information about clubs but (and it's a Kardashian size but) you have to get out and try clubs before buying or dismissing them 😁😎

• Like 6

I really wouldn't mind trying a 4,5 iron in the i500 to see if I can get a bit extra distance out of those clubs. I still love the i210, but something with a few more yards could help with dispersion a bit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Danbrook said:

I really wouldn't mind trying a 4,5 iron in the i500 to see if I can get a bit extra distance out of those clubs. I still love the i210, but something with a few more yards could help with dispersion a bit.

Do it, the 4i packs a punch! 

22 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I definitely enjoy the long irons. I do hope I get more comfortable thru the whole set. Might need to tweak lofts to find the right gaps but I do think ping is on the right path with the players distance iron. I think these blueprint irons Louie teased on IG might be that next step

• Like 1

The 3i has been my 5w replacement, but only off the tee. If I didn't have my SM7 wedge set, I probably would have tried the GW as well instead if the 3i.

• Like 2

Yup. I'm definitely behind on the Stage 2. I lagged on purpose to ensure I didn't take attention away from the members posting theirs but now I'm a little further than that. In case you can't tell, I've been busy with forum stuff lately. In addition, my day job has really picked up as well so it's been a busy time haha. In the meantime, here's another update:

The i500s feel good but clearly don't feel as good as forged up and down the set. They have a clicky clacky sound in bag chatter but have a satisfying SMACK when hitting the ball. The smack is especially pronounced when you've got trees near to reflect the sound. It's loud in a thunderous type of way but not offensive at all. The subjective parts of the irons certainly don't affect me on course.  

They fit me well because I need less workability with my swing speed. It's easy to get it turning too far both ways. One thing I love about them is I'll never lose the ball left, right yes but never left so I can play a one way miss and that's resulting in more greens hit. Another thing I like about the i500s is it's much easier to hit partial shots. I really struggled making solid contact on anything less than full with my old irons. There's a chance, though, that that falls more on the better fit shaft than it does the heads.

The forgiveness is definitely there though because the distances are still good even on off-center contact. During these wet and sloshy rounds of late, I've been trying to pick the ball instead of digging in and have been hitting more balls thin than normal. Of course I'm losing height, but the distance and stopping power is still spot on. I don't know if I should feel good or bad about knocking one stiff with a skulled shot but I'll take that birdie chance either way. 

One fun thing about these irons is I'm starting to generate a ton of backspin when I really hit down on the ball. Just backspin..... Not side spin.......It's great. My typical on-green action now is a hop forward then ZIP backwards beyond the original pitch mark. Hell, I stopped a ball that landed on a downslope with a 7 iron. I couldn't believe that ball was still on the green. I could already do this with my wedges before but it's really interesting to start getting this reaction with irons. 

Hope to hammer out a formal stage 2 in early January. Until then, I'll keep testing 😊
  • Like 9

As I have more and more practice and lessons I’m getting more comfortable with these irons. Looking forward to the winter practice grinding and the eventual season to help me play my best. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:
Yup. I'm definitely behind on the Stage 2. I lagged on purpose to ensure I didn't take attention away from the members posting theirs but now I'm a little further than that. In case you can't tell, I've been busy with forum stuff lately. In addition, my day job has really picked up as well so it's been a busy time haha. In the meantime, here's another update:

The i500s feel good but clearly don't feel as good as forged up and down the set. They have a clicky clacky sound in bag chatter but have a satisfying SMACK when hitting the ball. The smack is especially pronounced when you've got trees near to reflect the sound. It's loud in a thunderous type of way but not offensive at all. The subjective parts of the irons certainly don't affect me on course.  

They fit me well because I need less workability with my swing speed. It's easy to get it turning too far both ways. One thing I love about them is I'll never lose the ball left, right yes but never left so I can play a one way miss and that's resulting in more greens hit. Another thing I like about the i500s is it's much easier to hit partial shots. I really struggled making solid contact on anything less than full with my old irons. There's a chance, though, that that falls more on the better fit shaft than it does the heads.

The forgiveness is definitely there though because the distances are still good even on off-center contact. During these wet and sloshy rounds of late, I've been trying to pick the ball instead of digging in and have been hitting more balls thin than normal. Of course I'm losing height, but the distance and stopping power is still spot on. I don't know if I should feel good or bad about knocking one stiff with a skulled shot but I'll take that birdie chance either way. 

One fun thing about these irons is I'm starting to generate a ton of backspin when I really hit down on the ball. Just backspin..... Not side spin.......It's great. My typical on-green action now is a hop forward then ZIP backwards beyond the original pitch mark. Hell, I stopped a ball that landed on a downslope with a 7 iron. I couldn't believe that ball was still on the green. I could already do this with my wedges before but it's really interesting to start getting this reaction with irons. 

Hope to hammer out a formal stage 2 in early January. Until then, I'll keep testing 😊

What is this back spin witchcraft you speak of!? Are you getting extra height from the irons as well?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

What is this back spin witchcraft you speak of!? Are you getting extra height from the irons as well?

Yes. Definitely. I'd be surprised if anyone who demos these doesn't notice immediate height to the ball. Not everyone will see the same overall benefits I'm experiencing but the height should always be there. As long as I hit down on the ball, it's kissing a cloud before bringing a thunderous boom into the Earth upon re-entry. Miss hits still go about as high as my old irons did. 

The extra height doesn't seem to be affected in wind any more than it normally would be. A one-club wind is still a one-club wind I've just got a lot more height. I said this in another post but I've actually had issues a few times because I played for side wind only to have the ball slice through it and be barely affected. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

As long as I hit down on the ball, it's kissing a cloud before bringing a thunderous boom into the Earth upon re-entry.

Now that line paints a picture!! 😁😎

I had the same experience when I tried them, the ball just rockets away and cuts through the wind. I was very surprised because I thought nothing could go higher than my JPXs 😎

• Like 1