Sign in to follow this  
DFG345G4

Nike VPR strike

That was the only one. The other 2 models posted to MGS Instagram are hideous. I previously owned a Nike Vapor Pro driver and Flex 3-Wood and still own a Flex Hybrid and Pro Combo irons, but it's a good thing Nike stopped making clubs. My eyes can only tolerate so much ugly and Nike dropping out will ensure they don't fall out of my head and run away due to overexposure. 

• Like 1

Pictures of the other 2 models are out too.... too bad Nike shut the doors, I think they were about to drop some serious tech. Now... we will never know.

• Like 3

I think Nike was on the verge of putting out a phenomenal line of clubs.  I have no inside knowledge or anything to base it on but my gut feeling but that could be just gas!  I do like the looks of this driver though.  At one time I had an entire bag of Nike clubs but currently just use a Method Mod 60 putter.

• Like 3

Nike’s VPR Strike driver looks pretty cool. According to what i have read in an article. the VPR Strike represented a major advancement in performance over the previous Vapor Fly Pro model and produced up to 8 mph more ball speed and loads more distance. 

• Like 1

Looks great. What could have been. Makes you wonder if Tiger was around and winning for the last 4 years if they would still be around

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I also heard that Rory was seeing 8 mph faster ball speed. That is a big difference, especially when I remember him hitting his Vapor Fly Pro very long and straight. The other piece I really miss from Nike is the balls, their RZN Tour Platinum and Black were amazing!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

I also heard that Rory was seeing 8 mph faster ball speed. That is a big difference, especially when I remember him hitting his Vapor Fly Pro very long and straight. The other piece I really miss from Nike is the balls, their RZN Tour Platinum and Black were amazing!

Yeah, I miss the balls way more than the clubs. I liked the RZN Black. 

• Like 1

The main thing I saw in these prototype designs that were floating around was they ditched the cavity which would allow them to bring the COG back down.  The Vapor series always had a high center of gravity because all the weight was moved up towards the crown.  It looks like they added some weights heel and toe that stretch to the back of the head so the forgiveness would be increased.

A much lower CG and more stable head would have definitely been an improvement over the previous models.  What could have been Nike!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AH1980MN said:

I still don't understand why they couldn't keep making balls.

I think the decision was to pull out of ALL golf equipment and focus on what they are known best for and that's apparel.

I’d love to see what the irons look like!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

5 hours ago, Brewmaster said:

I heard somewhere Nike was quoted as saying "Even Tiger Woods couldn't make golf manufacturing a profitable business"

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't believe that Nike lost money in the hard goods side of golf, no matter what anybody says.  I think they got out of it because they weren't making the profit they thought they would with them being "Nike" and having Tiger Woods as their poster boy.  They paid their athletes way too much money to get a good return on investment.

• Like 1

I don't believe that Nike lost money in the hard goods side of golf, no matter what anybody says.  I think they got out of it because they weren't making the profit they thought they would with them being "Nike" and having Tiger Woods as their poster boy.  They paid their athletes way too much money to get a good return on investment.
But that's just it. They lost money on clubs and balls because their expenses (including their huge marketing budget) far outweighed the money they were making on club and ball sales.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-28/nike-co-founder-says-not-even-tiger-could-make-golf-profitable

I still find it hard to believe that any company, including Nike, would be so hard headed that it would lose money every year for 20 years before finally pulling the plug,  I guess my point is I don't think they were losing money on the hard goods, they were just spending too much in the other areas of their golf division.  They may have not been very profitable if at all for 20 years but they were making money on hard goods but not enough to cover all their other stuff.  They lost their money by paying Tiger, Rory, and others an insane amount of money to try to market their clubs as "what the best players play". 

I wonder if they divided the contracts up between Golf and Apparel since each athlete was paid to also wear their clothes?  If not how would that have changed the look of the books?

• Like 1