TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing easy and hit hard

Ok.Yesterday I had possibly the best ball striking round of my career.My pro gave me some great advice that I implemented easily.He told me swing the same speed back as thru.Which allowed me to feel the weight of the club.I actually felt the club head swing the entire motion.The clubhead speed I was producing was easily 1/2 of my normal motion.The irons were 1 - 2 clubs less in distance.But the driver was extradorinarly long swinging this way.The ball was always in play and if I wasn’t on the green i was just off.It felt so simple playing this way.Almost like I put no effort into it at all.The pro called this being in control.And used the phrase “Swing easy and hit it hard”.The clubhead itself was getting the ball airborne just swinging using no forced effort.I used a 7 or 6 iron from 150 vs my normal full swing 9 iron.Anyone else play well this way 

Keep it in the short stuff

so are you saying driver SS is about 45mph? I can see there will be more control but swinging thru at 45ish wont get the ball very far.

I've always been an advocater of slow back then accelerate. You don't hit the ball on the backswing!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Ok.Yesterday I had possibly the best ball striking round of my career.My pro gave me some great advice that I implemented easily.He told me swing the same speed back as thru.Which allowed me to feel the weight of the club.I actually felt the club head swing the entire motion.The clubhead speed I was producing was easily 1/2 of my normal motion.The irons were 1 - 2 clubs less in distance.But the driver was extradorinarly long swinging this way.The ball was always in play and if I wasn’t on the green i was just off.It felt so simple playing this way.Almost like I put no effort into it at all.The pro called this being in control.And used the phrase “Swing easy and hit it hard”.The clubhead itself was getting the ball airborne just swinging using no forced effort.I used a 7 or 6 iron from 150 vs my normal full swing 9 iron.Anyone else play well this way 
I did that until my last round. My pro gave me the same advice and I lost the same amount of distance but became a great ball striker. Now I'm working on swinging harder and maintaining my ball striking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

so are you saying driver SS is about 45mph? I can see there will be more control but swinging thru at 45ish wont get the ball very far.

I've always been an advocater of slow back then accelerate. You don't hit the ball on the backswing!

Felt like 20 mphs in speed.Im seeing how this would feel like just bunting a golf ball with many.But I also see how this would just destroy my handicap.It would have to lower playing this way.The effort I put into the hit was almost nothing.Im wondering now what would happen if I played like this for a whole season 

9 minutes ago, Edveed said:

Felt like 20 mphs in speed.Im seeing how this would feel like just bunting a golf ball with many.But I also see how this would just destroy my handicap.It would have to lower playing this way.The effort I put into the hit was almost nothing.Im wondering now what would happen if I played like this for a whole season 

I had a pro do this with me with a 7 iron, it's not easy to swing that slowly after decades of trying to destroy the ball 😂

Definitely worth persevering with it.

Next time you play a few holes by yourself try playing with 1 ball at normal speed and one with half speed and see how it feels and how you score.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

34 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I had a pro do this with me with a 7 iron, it's not easy to swing that slowly after decades of trying to destroy the ball 😂

Definitely worth persevering with it.

Next time you play a few holes by yourself try playing with 1 ball at normal speed and one with half speed and see how it feels and how you score.

I tried that from 150 yards. My normal all out with is 9 iron. This way was 7 iron or 6 iron. The distance was terrible.But consistency was uncanny.But agree , I’m not sure how long I can do this swinging vs hitting . But I do see how this would drop any higher handicappers scores real fast 

2 hours ago, Edveed said:

When you get old, you play like that all the time; not because you want to, but because you have to. ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played like this all season this year. Unfortunately I was swinging slower and slower so I had to keep messing and remembering new distances. Ball striking did improve but because of this I had a ton of 4i shots and a ton where I still needed to chip after that. Because of this I would be putting for par all the time and I'm not a great putter. If I didn't practice my chipping I would mess up my chips too. Playing after a year of going this I did lower my average score from the 120s to around 100 and even coming close to breaking 90. I have continued my good striking since increasing my speed my last two rounds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I completely subscribe to the swing slower prescription to better, more consistent ball striking.  I even have a hand written note in my tee, marker, divot tool bag saying; "slow, slow, slow".  That note strategically stored to remind me that my tendency is to speed up and emulate chopping wood. There is a direct correlation to how tempo affects fly casting and golf swings.  I'd be a low single digit handicap in fly fishing/casting and I try to remind myself of this tempo playing golf.  When chipping, I use a one-pause-two count, like a metronome to help pace my back and forward stroke.  This has helped my consistency and greatly reduced chucks and gut shots.

And with this post, I just became a Top Secret Agent.  I wonder what the pay increase will look like? 😀

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I completely subscribe to the swing slower prescription to better, more consistent ball striking.  I even have a hand written note in my tee, marker, divot tool bag saying; "slow, slow, slow".  That note strategically stored to remind me that my tendency is to speed up and emulate chopping wood. There is a direct correlation to how tempo affects fly casting and golf swings.  I'd be a low single digit handicap in fly fishing/casting and I try to remind myself of this tempo playing golf.  When chipping, I use a one-pause-two count, like a metronome to help pace my back and forward stroke.  This has helped my consistency and greatly reduced chucks and gut shots.

And with this post, I just became a Top Secret Agent.  I wonder what the pay increase will look like? 😀

Ha! I wrote RELAX on my push cart because I have a tendency to grip the club way too tight and tense up. It makes me stay, well, relaxed. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Yep... My pro trying to get me to do the exact same thing... And it's HARD at first! Really need to practice it before going out onto the course and reverting to old, bad habits....

The idea, of course, is to make better contact .. and do it more frequently .. and "prove" to yourself that you do not need to hit at the ball but rather swing through it - as you've mentioned.

"Swing Easy, Hit Hard" is the title of an illustrated instruction book by Julius Boros, written in 1965.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Congratulations!!  Pay increase?  Ha!  Just don't leak information!!

It's been years since I've been fly fishing.  Got my first fishing pole at age 5... a fly rod because it's long so I could stick it out away from the bank of the river.  My uncle tied a hook with a worm and put a bobber on it.  When I got older, I decided to try fly fishing since I already had the rod and reel.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2018 at 5:55 AM, GB13 said:

Ha! I wrote RELAX on my push cart because I have a tendency to grip the club way too tight and tense up. It makes me stay, well, relaxed. 

Love this!  Think i'll put a note like this on my buggy!

There's some good videos on YouTube by Paul Wilson re: swinging easy.  Worth a look.

• 1 month later...

Since..

..loose is the opposite of tense,

and 

..tension is a swing killer,

then as Tim Burke WLD Champ said,

"Loose is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast"

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Julia’s Boros, PGA Tour winner in the 50’s always said, “swing easy, hit hard”

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I’m going to add a contradictory voice to the conversation. Certainly this advice and thought has been conventional wisdom for a long time. Current data however suggests otherwise.

Golfers who try to swing as fast as they are able will hit the ball more consistently, farther and just as accurately as those trying to swing slowly or smoothly.

We need to get SuperSpeed to provide a link to their data on this matter. It certainly contradicts what I’ve been told in lessons before (not however by my current teacher).

This topic needs to be rethought and experimented with much further. I know I am.

Good luck with your game this season.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev brings up an interesting point and I think overall I agree. I think however the problem comes in to what people perceive as swinging fast(er). I think many amateurs relate swing speed to effort and this swinging faster translates into swinging harder.  This turns into a slower than capable swing because the bigger muscles tend to take over and the release of the club becomes a problem. Then hands can move faster than the chest.

granted we see some guys like Tiger or Rory, that look like they are going max effort with the long clubs while guys like Ernie or Couples look effortless.  The difference isn’t nevessarily effort but rather tempo. But what they all have in common is proper sequencing leading to the proper release of the club allowing for generation of fast club head speed.

I think this is where the smooth/slow vs fast imo amateurs need to find their tempo that allows them to make the right moves in the swing and to be able to swing faster not harder or with more effort. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

You all may have seen the recent quick video of Phil Mickleson practicing at TPC this past weekend, he is starting to lift the heel of his front foot to generate more power. This is something that was also noticed on Francesco Molinari over the weekend as well. Phil was dropping 320yd CARRY bombs!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

5 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

You all may have seen the recent quick video of Phil Mickleson practicing at TPC this past weekend, he is starting to lift the heel of his front foot to generate more power. This is something that was also noticed on Francesco Molinari over the weekend as well. Phil was dropping 320yd CARRY bombs!

Pros in their 40's start to lose clubhead speed.  Phil will be 49 on Father's Day and his clubhead speed has increased 4 mph to 122 mph.  Thank you SuperSpeed Golf!!

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Pros in their 40's start to lose clubhead speed.  Phil will be 49 on Father's Day and his clubhead speed has increased 4 mph to 122 mph.  Thank you SuperSpeed Golf!!

has Phil been using the SuperSpeed golf weight system??

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

6 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

has Phil been using the SuperSpeed golf weight system??

Yes.  Did you see him at Pebble?  Standing on the tee doing fast swings left and right handed?

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yes.  Did you see him at Pebble?  Standing on the tee doing fast swings left and right handed?

I did not see him doing that one. Must be paying off. Noticed it was a SuperSpeed insta account and i do not currently follow them.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

My swing thought is "slower for longer"

Eventually, I want to get to a high MPH when I'm making contact with the ball (agreeing with @revkev), but when I'm in a rush to do that my sequence gets screwed up. Steep, early release swings and the resulting hooks ensue. If I can stay slower and controlled all the way to the top, 90% of my work is done.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

6 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

My swing thought is "slower for longer"

Eventually, I want to get to a high MPH when I'm making contact with the ball (agreeing with @revkev), but when I'm in a rush to do that my sequence gets screwed up. Steep, early release swings and the resulting hooks ensue. If I can stay slower and controlled all the way to the top, 90% of my work is done.

Sequencing is very important - you have to do what you have to do to make sure that yours stays proper - After 20 weeks there is a protocol that SuperSpeed puts in for sequencing - its the one that we saw Phil using at Pebble although he was doing the standing version of it. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My dad always yelled at me “tempo: 1-2-3 back 1-2 through.” And 80% swing is 100% distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

When I think "swing easy" I think about swinging with no tension, not swinging slowly. "Easy" as in, "this swing feels effortless and easy".

I think too many golfers misinterpret "Easy" as "Slow". 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

When I think "swing easy" I think about swinging with no tension, not swinging slowly. "Easy" as in, "this swing feels effortless and easy".

I think too many golfers misinterpret "Easy" as "Slow". 

Yep and vice versa faster mean harder.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived