Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Master Grip Tour C4 Urethane

RookieBlue7

So I'd found one of these balls a while back and hit it. At that time, I'd dismissed it because of the fact that I didn't hit that particular ball that well (something everyone is guilty of at times I'd assume).

Well, after reading person after person out there constantly saying that they like the ball, they love it, it's their new gamer, and various other things, I decided to give them another run through the ringer.

This time, however, I wasn't going to let my impressions be drawn from a ball I found on the course. I purchased a dozen direct from them so that I knew that they weren't water balls, or they weren't balls left in the woods, etc. I bought brand new ones so I knew they were top quality.

That's where the saga begins. First, let me say that I was skeptical reading the plethora of information on their website about them. I thought, hey, they're trying to market their product and over hype their own product. So do other companies, but I was certain there was no way that someone could make a premium grade, player's ball that cheap. Well, let me be the first to admit, I was wrong.

Initially, in my search, I was hoping to find a ball that I could at least use during the fall and winter season. Let's face it, the economy sucks, and who wants to lose a $4 ball in the middle of the fairway because of the leaves falling? Not me, especially when I'm supporting 2 children and an adult on one income. Hey, I said times are tough didn't I?

On to the review. I'd played the Hogan Tour Deep before, and I'd heard how these were just rebranded Tour Deeps. Do I know that for a fact? Well, no, I don't. Master Grip never stated it, I'm just going off of rumors. The Tour Deep was, however, the only ball that I know of that had a 382 dimple configuration with 6 strategically placed deep dimples around the ball. Guess what, so does the Master Grip Tour C4. Coincidence or fact, I don't know, but they pass the eye test. The next thing I always like to check on balls I'm going to play is with what I call my feel test. Does the cover feel like a ball I like? Well, this one had that soft, tacky feeling that tour level balls have. Passed the feel test. Smell... (I'm guessing you're saying huh right about now). Well, to me, every player's ball I've ever tried has a piney smell to it, and these were no different. Don't know what it is, but it's there. That could have something to do with the material the cover is made of (yes, I smell my golf balls when they're new, so what).

On to performance...

I've been a guy that plays tour level balls for years. It could have something to do with having a low handicap, it could be something with the fact that I know that they'll perform consistently with every ball. Regardless of what it is, I have played tour level balls for years. I used to play the Pro V1x exclusively. Why? Well, it fit everything I needed. Last year, when my fiance' lost her job, I started looking for alternatives to save money. So I'd stock up on tour level balls when I caught them at a good price and they'd suit my game. Those included Taylor Made TP Blacks LDP, 2008 Titleist Pro V1x's, Callaway HX Tour's, Callaway Tour i's, etc. When they went on sale, I bought a dozen or two because you never can have too many golf balls, at least in my humble opinion.

When I opened the box on the Tour C4's, although there were no sleeves, the balls seemed like they were good quality. I emptied the ball pocket and threw the whole dozen in there (hey, if I didn't like them, I'd give them away to people). Well, I ended up giving only one away, to a regular playing partner to try after I pantsed him on our skins game. This ball flat out performs. Shot after shot kept impressing me, time and time again. I could hit every shot I'd ever wanted to with it, just like the other premium balls. Cuts, hooks, draws, punches, pitches, the nipper, the stinger, you name it, and the ball will do it just like any premium ball on the market.

Off the driver, it's a rocket. As a matter of fact, I hit my longest drives of the season after switching back in September. And this was on some of the more soggy fairways I'd seen all season. Every drive was bomb after bomb. On the par 5 #11 at my home course, measuring 542 yards, I hit the shortest club into the green on my second shot I'd ever hit during a recent Ryder Cup event. I bombed my drive during the singles match play on the Sunday of the event. I knew I'd gotten all of it as soon as it left the driver's face. It kept going and going. Normally on this hole, I hit driver and just about every bit of a 3 wood to reach the green. Not this day. I hit Driver, 5 iron (the longest iron in my bag, I carry a hybrid and 4 wedges, bite me). I stuck the 5 iron to 6 feet. (I missed the putt, but had a tap in birdie to take the hole by 2 strokes).

Off the irons, the ball also launches, but when it hits the green, it's like a butterfly with sore feet. Shot after shot I was able to finesse just like I wanted to. Suck it back 20 feet to a tucked pin? No problem. Hit a shot deliberately on the front to run uphill to a pin on a ridge? You got it. Every shot you want to hit, the ball will do it.

The thing about the ball that really impressed me? Touch when chipping. I'm a stickler for a ball that will perform off of less than full wedge shots or chips. Why? That's the one part of my game I take pride in and work on the most. Even on my worst ball striking days, I feel I can consistently get up and down because of my short game. If a ball falls flat in this category, it's game over for me. Not with the Tour C4. I was able to hit chips that stuck, chips that released, chips that hopped and stopped. The ball was able to do it all, and do it impressively (I holed out twice from off the green in the aforementioned skins game to take money both times).

On to putting. The ball feels great off the putter face. It's lively, but soft enough for it to just feel right when you strike it. There's not much really you can say about putting with a ball other than it feels good.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality of the ball. It did not scuff as easily as many other tour level balls. It held on shots I wanted it to hold on, and released when I wanted it to release. It was long off the tee, and did what I needed it to do around the green. I was very, very impressed. SO much so that I ordered 2 more dozen.

Did I lose a few during the month long testing period? Sure, don't we all. But hey, I won't hold that against them, at the end of every club there stands an idiot holding the grip.

I'll review their gloves next, as I tried a BOGO on them as well (hey, while I was testing, their gloves got good reviews too, why not?)

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

You can always go online for them......

MG Golf

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 4 months later...

I ordered 2 boxes last year and was very happy with them. Just stocked up on some Pentas that were on sale but I will be buying MGs again.

The guys at my course call them the OMGs!! Because the MG logo is circled, and that is the reaction when when I tell them how much they cost!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 3 weeks later...

Compression is a tad lower than the Pro V1x, close to the same as the ProV. I was using them during the fall and winter, and I noticed that they actually felt better than the ProV1x's I was playing at the time (due to the lower compression rate) but weren't as spinny as the ProV1.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

Quit paying $40+ for tour quality balls and start gaming these. This is the best ball I have ever played. It is long off the woods and irons, it spins on ALL wedge shots, and it feels like butter off the putter. There is nothing to not like about this ball. I hit 10 full SWs out of the fairway today and there is nothing more than a few light scuffs. This ball doesn't spin quit as much as the ProV, but it spins more than the Penta. I was so excited about this ball after 3 holes that I ended up handing 6 out to random guys, then I came home and ordered another dozen. I got a dozen balls and 2 gloves for $35 shipped. If you haven't given this ball a chance, do yourself a favor and try it out.

• 8 months later...

Quit paying $40+ for tour quality balls and start gaming these. This is the best ball I have ever played. It is long off the woods and irons, it spins on ALL wedge shots, and it feels like butter off the putter. There is nothing to not like about this ball. I hit 10 full SWs out of the fairway today and there is nothing more than a few light scuffs. This ball doesn't spin quit as much as the ProV, but it spins more than the Penta. I was so excited about this ball after 3 holes that I ended up handing 6 out to random guys, then I came home and ordered another dozen. I got a dozen balls and 2 gloves for $35 shipped. If you haven't given this ball a chance, do yourself a favor and try it out.

wow, iv never heard of these balls but im going to try them!

• 3 months later...

After reading the comments about these, I decided to pick up a couple of boxes to give them a run. Though I have preferred the Bridgestone B-330s for a while, I am generally unwilling to pay the price for them, so I typically bag Titleist NXT Tour S balls ( in yellow ). The last 4 practice rounds, I've been playing the MG's Tour C4's side by side with the B-330s, and for grins also NXT's. Played all three through the rounds (single, late evening, walking in 85+ temps). Like others have said, the MG balls are excellent value balls. They are very competitive off the tee, and in the long irons, though typical of "tour" level balls, they are prone to scuff marks if the touch anything but grass or a sweet spot in a club face.

Getting into the short irons and wedges, particularly the partial wedges where you are playing for spin, is where I found the performance to be different. In terms of spin, I found the MG balls to be between the NXT Tour S than the B-330s ( or even the Precept Ladies IQ, long story, I'll post it in another thread :) ), perhaps closer to the NXT than the B-330, better. At the price, it is a far better value than any of the midrange 'tour' level balls. At this point, I would love them in Yellow or Orange as I find these colors easier to track with my poor eye site, but given the price, I have decided to live with white. These are eminently playable, and are an excellent value.

On a side note, I was in need of a new 60 degree lob to replace the Cleveland CG I tore up in an equipment failure incident. I decided to give the MG Golf 60 a shot as well. It has arrived, and I have a couple of rounds with it in the bag. Overall impressions are positive, but visually, it is very 'blah', but for a value club, at $30 it is hard to beat.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

At this point, I would love them in Yellow or Orange as I find these colors easier to track with my poor eye site, but given the price, I have decided to live with white. These are eminently playable, and are an excellent value.

I sent MG an email a few months ago, asking about the C4 coming in a yellow and they said they didn't have any plans to release it in any other color. I too have poor eye sight and can see the yellow balls so much better. I have started gaming the Callaway Hex Chrome, because they come in yellow.

Archived