Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018-19 College Basketball Season

Golfspy_CG2

Well it doesn't officially begin until November 6th.   But for me the season kicked off this week when I attended the Baltimore Area Media Day for the Division 1 schools in this area, only one University of Maryland declined to attend.   I guess they have other things going on in the athletic department these days! 

But for me it was a great time to get out the old notebook talk to all the area coaches and start planning my hoops schedule that keeps me pretty busy all winter long.   

Here's a tweet with a quick look at the media day, some of you may recognize your's truly, for others that don't I'm the big galoot in the pink shirt. 

But more importantly let's kick this thread off with some hoops talk.   Whose your team, what if any more fall out do you see coming from the adidas scandel last spring.   Players to watch, teams to watch, Final Four predictions...etc.

https://twitter.com/Towson_TSN/status/1049771656259018752

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been a tarheels fan since I can remember. Even though I went to Ohio state UNC basketball is my number 1 team. I also like to see the hometown Dayton flyers do well along with penn state because my best friend played there

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I’ve been a tarheels fan since I can remember. Even though I went to Ohio state UNC basketball is my number 1 team. I also like to see the hometown Dayton flyers do well along with penn state because my best friend played there

Did we spend 4.5 hours in a cart together and not talk Tarheels?

You do remember my forum name before I was a MOD right

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

Not a huge basketball fan (was decades ago), but it gets my attention when the Sweet 16 gets into play.  At that point, I hope to see ND participating but if their not in the mix, just root for state colleges, whoever, all the way to the championship.  That usually mean Kansas State, Ohio State, or Michigan State.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Did we spend 4.5 hours in a cart together and not talk Tarheels?

You do remember my forum name before I was a MOD right emoji41.png

Yes we did and yea I do lol. I actually got to see them practice and play the year the ncaa had the first 2 rounds in Dayton. I skipped school to see them practice. I got a ball signed by Eric Montross and my program by the team. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

IMG_1382.JPG

Hopefully our new coach can restore the glory to what has been the top program, in regards to national championships, over the past 25 years.

Go Huskies

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@ the adidas scandal - how does football get off? Every bit as corrupt as hoops. No way a school talks to a 5 star or 4 star player without paying someone in either sport.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes we did and yea I do lol. I actually got to see them practice and play the year the ncaa had the first 2 rounds in Dayton. I skipped school to see them practice. I got a ball signed by Eric Montross and my program by the team. 

Ha I couldn't remember actually. Plus the fact your ball was usually 70 yards ahead of mine may have dominated conversation. Lol

Cool. As I told you guys I grew up in Dayton, wasxa huge UD Fan at the time, during the Jim Paxson days---John'sOlder brother.

Got a chance to go to many of the early round NCAA games there. When it was actually the first round, not the First Four.

Undergrad:

129.png

Grad school:

a20791c12b0cedf619fc02_l__35312.14147890

Hoping Mizzou is on the rise back to where they were in the Norm Stewart days. I wish Porter, Jr. had stayed around, but it happens.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

34 minutes ago, bullldog said:

Rock Chalk. But havta see what happens with the Addis thing.

I have to not like KU, but Mizzou/Kansas games in the 90's were a hoot!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Syracuse, reloaded and ready for a deep run I think. Returning all 5 starters with only one senior among them... Oh, you think I'm talking about the Dudes team? Nah man, SU WBB is where it's at. All they do is press for 40 minutes and look to shoot a ton of threes. When it's going it's some of the most entertaining basketball in America. Going to their open practice scrimmage on Sunday morning, and excited to see how this season goes. They play Oregon in the second game of the season and we'll learn how good they can be very quickly. The dudes will be alright too, returning everyone off a Sweet 16 team and landing a few top recruits, probably back to a perennial top 10-15 team.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Alma Maters App State and LSU need to have better seasons this year.

Coach Fox At App just signed an extension, so I hope he gets those guys competing for Sun Belt titles soon. I’ve known him for years, so I hope he stays there awhile.

Not a fan of the coach at LSU, he’s kind of a turd, but they did improve last year. He had a very good recruiting class come-in this year, but it’s tough to depend on a couple Freshman.

Non-alma mater Michigan State really needs to have a LONG season, into the tournament. Izzo just hasn’t coached the talent well. He never figured out where to play Bridges and how to use him, and for someone who has coached as long as he has, to not know how to beat Syracuse’s zone in the tourney really ticked me off! The positive from last year? They did win the LEGIT Big Ten title, not the measly tourney one...

Lastly, my good buddy, Kermit Davis, has taken over at Ole Miss! Great coach! He was the brains behind the operation when LSU went to the Final Four with Stromile Swift. He and I used to meet at the LSU hoops office and draw plays on the dry erase boards!!! So much fun! Great guy, great husband, great father, all much more important than being a great coach, but he is one anyway!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Alma Maters App State and LSU need to have better seasons this year.

Coach Fox At App just signed an extension, so I hope he gets those guys competing for Sun Belt titles soon. I’ve known him for years, so I hope he stays there awhile.

Not a fan of the coach at LSU, he’s kind of a turd, but they did improve last year. He had a very good recruiting class come-in this year, but it’s tough to depend on a couple Freshman.

Non-alma mater Michigan State really needs to have a LONG season, into the tournament. Izzo just hasn’t coached the talent well. He never figured out where to play Bridges and how to use him, and for someone who has coached as long as he has, to not know how to beat Syracuse’s zone in the tourney really ticked me off! The positive from last year? They did win the LEGIT Big Ten title, not the measly tourney one...

Lastly, my good buddy, Kermit Davis, has taken over at Ole Miss! Great coach! He was the brains behind the operation when LSU went to the Final Four with Stromile Swift. He and I used to meet at the LSU hoops office and draw plays on the dry erase boards!!! So much fun! Great guy, great husband, great father, all much more important than being a great coach, but he is one anyway!!!!

Curious what you don't like about Wade.  He was a first hire by both Tommy Amaker and Shaka Smart at Harvard and VCU.   Won in his two years at Tenn-Chattanooga, and as you said, improved LSU to the NIT last year.    Seems like a pretty good track record so far..  But that doesn't mean he can't be a turd..ha

Curious what you don't like about Wade.  He was a first hire by both Tommy Amaker and Shaka Smart at Harvard and VCU.   Won in his two years at Tenn-Chattanooga, and as you said, improved LSU to the NIT last year.    Seems like a pretty good track record so far..  But that doesn't mean he can't be a turd..ha

Complete turd, arrogant as he—. One of my buddies was his assistant at UTC, then VCU, told my buddy he was going to take him to Baton Rouge. He never called my buddy to tell him that he wasn’t bringing him, leaving him out to dry, total jerk! He thinks his crap doesn’t stink now that he’s at LSU making a couple million.
John Brady was the same way. Nice when he was at Samford, then became a complete prick upon arriving in BR.

4 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Complete turd, arrogant as he—. One of my buddies was his assistant at UTC, then VCU, told my buddy he was going to take him to Baton Rouge. He never called my buddy to tell him that he wasn’t bringing him, leaving him out to dry, total jerk! He thinks his crap doesn’t stink now that he’s at LSU making a couple million.
John Brady was the same way. Nice when he was at Samford, then became a complete prick upon arriving in BR.

Ahh!!  yeah, that's no good.  You like to see guys retain some sort of humility when they get the big job.  

I knew and spoke to Shaka reguarly when he was at VCU, haven't seen or spoken to him since he's been at Texas, but from what I have heard and seen, he has remained the same grounded repectiful person that he was at VCU.    Maybe Wade should have paid attention to other things other than just X and O's when he was at VCU.

Ahh!!  yeah, that's no good.  You like to see guys retain some sort of humility when they get the big job.  
I knew and spoke to Shaka reguarly when he was at VCU, haven't seen or spoken to him since he's been at Texas, but from what I have heard and seen, he has remained the same grounded repectiful person that he was at VCU.    Maybe Wade should have paid attention to other things other than just X and O's when he was at VCU.

My good friend is the Head Equipment Mgr for UT basketball and he really likes Shaka. Said he’s a good guy. Nice to hear!!!

I am hoping my Black and Gold can make a run at the Big 10 title.  Fran needs to find a way to get the players to play together cuz there is definitely a ton of talent.  If Cook can play up to his athletic ability and talent, Bohannon can continue to shoot like last year, and Garza can get healty and improve on how he played, things should move in the right direction.  I do think we are missing a facilitator at the point guard position but the ability to play big with any 3 combination of Cook, Garza, Kreiner, Pemsl, and Nunge.  Hopefully Wieskamp can live up to the hype and be the elite scorer he was in high school.  There are a lot of "ifs" with the Iowa Basketball team but I am really looking forward to these guys getting up and down the court.  Nov. 6th can't get here fast enough.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

• 3 weeks later...

Go Big Blue! Go Big Blue! Go Big Blue!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 11/3/2018 at 6:59 PM, robertson153 said:

Anyone want to make a bold preseason prediction on who’s going to be the champs come April?

I will go so bold as to predict the Iowa Hawkeyes are Big 10 Champs.  As for NCAA Champs, I am thinking this may be a year a Cinderella gets the title!

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I will go so bold as to predict the Iowa Hawkeyes are Big 10 Champs.  As for NCAA Champs, I am thinking this may be a year a Cinderella gets the title!

My “cinderella” now to make the Final Four js Nevada.

The Martin twins along with one of the best freshman in the country 6’ll” Jordan Brown give them a pretty dynamic trio.

Growing up and living in the nearest city to Oak Hill Academy, I've met hundreds of highly decorated and recruited players.  I have also met dozens of coaches.  Some polite and interesting, others not so much.  By the way, I use the term "city" loosely.  The population is less than 8,000.

My brother went to high school with longtime Oak Hill coaching legend Steve Smith's son.  Coach Smith and I are also members of the same golf club.  Seeing Jerry Stackhouse, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, and Rajon Rondo at the local Diner on Sunday morning isn't surprising.  The students, including the athletes, are required to be a part of the local community in order to attend Oak Hill.  They volunteer, attend high school football games and give out Halloween candy.

It's a pretty neat experience growing up nearby.  With that said, I can't understand how Virginia Tech hasn't made more inroads recruiting Oak Hill given the campus is less than an hour from Blacksburg.  UVA seemed to get every top Oak Hill player for the duration of the 90's.  That hasn't been the case for the past two decades.  

Cuse women open as a top 20 team, and start play tomorrow with North Dakota. Gonna be a fun season. This Saturday though... #3 Oregon at Oregon. Gonna learn how good we are pretty quick. Oh, and the men open tomorrow too... that's cool I guess.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I won’t follow Basketball much until later in the season. I’ll watch Michigan if they are on, but getting to the big tournament is the object anymore. Playing well at the time of that tournament is the goal, so these early season games don’t matter too much. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived