Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Club Champion - Irons

Went to Club Champion today for irons. Hit about 12 diff shafts. Finally dialed into KBS Tour Pro 90.

From there we went to heads. Hit about 7 diff heads(M3, AP2, JPX919 Hot Metal, C300, Z585). Wound up with the Z585.

Stock OWM gamers were King F6. ( 95 mph ball speed, 1200 spin and 160 total distance).

The Z585 produced a 125 mph speed, 4200 spin, and 195 yard distance.

The shaft and head combo was definitely a big change from my current gamers. Looking at 4-GW. CC was asking $2,400 for the full set. Going to do some research and see if I can find a slightly used deal for a better price, I’m sure I can.

Super happy with the experience at CC. I honestly feel it was well worth the $150 for the fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Kbs tour 90 shafts are an option if you order direct from Srixon. I would expect you could do the same from any reseller. You should also be able to get any other customizations that CC suggested.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Kbs tour 90 shafts are an option if you order direct from Srixon. I would expect you could do the same from any reseller. You should also be able to get any other customizations that CC suggested.

That’s what I figured as well. Easily half the cost of CC quote. If not more!

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Definitely half.  How do they make that model work?  I did an estimate for the same shaft, lie and loft adjustment, extra wraps and special grips, only $1142.  I don’t get it.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

They sell you on the fact that they are going to evaluate all the components to ensure that they are the same specs and that the clubs are setup exactly as they were during your fitting.  They also have some playability guarantees associated with performance. Additionally people go in and pay to get fit without buying clubs.  As with anything in the retail market some are willing to spend that money while others aren't

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Definitely half.  How do they make that model work?  I did an estimate for the same shaft, lie and loft adjustment, extra wraps and special grips, only $1142.  I don’t get it.

Add in the $150 fitting fee and a 35% profit(at least) for them.

They sell you on the fact that they are going to evaluate all the components to ensure that they are the same specs and that the clubs are setup exactly as they were during your fitting.  They also have some playability guarantees associated with performance. Additionally people go in and pay to get fit without buying clubs.  As with anything in the retail market some are willing to spend that money while others aren't

Definitely the best/most comprehensive fitting I have had vs our local retailers(Puetz, Pro Golf Discount, Dicks). I think the fitting was worth the time and money. But I will most definitely be buying my irons elsewhere. I will be looking for lightly used set of Z585 and the shaft combo. I can get them adjusted through a local vendor(Puetz or Pro golf) for less than $100(entire set).

16 hours ago, No3PuttLaLa said:

Went to Club Champion today for irons. Hit about 12 diff shafts. Finally dialed into KBS Tour Pro 90.

From there we went to heads. Hit about 7 diff heads(M3, AP2, JPX919 Hot Metal, C300, Z585). Wound up with the Z585.

Stock OWM gamers were King F6. ( 95 mph ball speed, 1200 spin and 160 total distance).

The shaft and head combo was definitely a big change from my current gamers. Looking at 4-GW. CC was asking $2,400 for the full set. Going to do some research and see if I can find a slightly used deal for a better price, I’m sure I can.

Super happy with the experience at CC. I honestly feel it was well worth the $150 for the fitting.

Do you recall what LM system they were using?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Do you recall what LM system they were using?

They use trackman

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I’ve done 3 fittings there now and I’ve always taken the specs and bought the club/clubs elsewhere for much cheaper.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

17 hours ago, No3PuttLaLa said:

Looking at 4-GW. CC was asking $2,400 for the full set. Going to do some research and see if I can find a slightly used deal for a better price, I’m sure I can.

You most certainly can. I've had only one experience* with CC a few years ago but was a little put-off by their tactics. Granted the place was nice and fancy and appeared to have all the shafts, heads, LM's and such. It cost a lot of money to stock and runs stores like that. Not counting employees. The one I stopped by was in a high-end retail center where I'm guessing rent ain't cheap! All this goes into the price of your clubs.

When asked I advise guys try and find and independant fitter. And one that has many many years of experience.  They're out there if you look. I also suggest that you don't get hung up on playing only major mfg's brands. Think outside the box. Golf isn't just Taylormade, Callaway, Cobra, Srixon, Ping, Titleist, etc. There's a whole other world out there and... you'll be able to find great equipment,  a great fit, a better game, and save some money.

*I wasn't getting a fitting. Just looking around and asking questions. For an example the salesman - ehem..... fitter showed me an example of a custom fit driver. (Shaft & head combo) $600!! I asked if perhaps I could get a driver that would be great for less money and without a $400 shaft. His answer was.. sure.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

KBS shafts seemed to have replaced TT Dynamic Golds as the preferred steel iron shaft.

I wonder why that is?   

As much a dinosaur as I am wailing about the deficiencies of modern equipment, the one thing toward which I was quick to adapt was graphite shafts on irons and wedges.

In my instance, though, performance was a totally irrelevant factor in the decision.

I found as i got older that steel shafts on anything but a putter are more harsh to the hands than either graphite or even old-fashioned hickory.

I went to NV Pro 105s because they were heavy enough to use on heads made for steel without making the clubs feels weirdly light.

Only then did i discover that the Aldilas played just as well if not better than the True Tempers.

However, I'm curious. To those still favoring steel shafts in irons and wedges, what was the attraction of the KBS brand models?

They seemed to have chased Brunswick and other steel shaft manufacturers other than True Temper away.

KBS shafts seemed to have replaced TT Dynamic Golds as the preferred steel iron shaft.

I wonder why that is?   

As much a dinosaur as I am wailing about the deficiencies of modern equipment, the one thing toward which I was quick to adapt was graphite shafts on irons and wedges.

In my instance, though, performance was a totally irrelevant factor in the decision.

I found as i got older that steel shafts on anything but a putter are more harsh to the hands than either graphite or even old-fashioned hickory.

I went to NV Pro 105s because they were heavy enough to use on heads made for steel without making the clubs feels weirdly light.

Only then did i discover that the Aldilas played just as well if not better than the True Tempers.

However, I'm curious. To those still favoring steel shafts in irons and wedges, what was the attraction of the KBS brand models?

They seemed to have chased Brunswick and other steel shaft manufacturers other than True Temper away.

I don't think this is true. True Temper (dynamic gold and project x) still dominate the iron shaft market.

https://www.truetemper.com/dynamic-gold-tour-issue-no-1-shaft-in-golf/

In fact I'd bet there are more Nippon irons shafts on tour than KBS

There was absolutely zero pressure to buy from them. My fitter was very professional and thorough. Couldn’t have asked for a better experience, IMO. Leagues better than any of our local golf shops here in the Seattle area.

Probably will not pull trigger on the iron set until later next month. Have to save some pennies!

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I don't think this is true. True Temper (dynamic gold and project x) still dominate the iron shaft market.

https://www.truetemper.com/dynamic-gold-tour-issue-no-1-shaft-in-golf/

In fact I'd bet there are more Nippon irons shafts on tour than KBS

I did say "other than True Temper" but your point is very well taken nevertheless. 

I didn't know that TT was still number one, or that Nippon was that big. 

KBS seems to be beloved on internet forums.

I'm sure that they're all good shafts, but in the last several years of my playing days,

steel made my hands swell.

I was fortunate that NV Pro 105s were a seamless and painless (if expensive) transition.

Converting was like paying for my irons and wedges twice.

I did say "other than True Temper" but your point is very well taken nevertheless. 
I'm sure that they're all good shafts, but in the last several years of my playing days,
I was fortunate that NV Pro 105s were a seamless and painless (if expensive) transition.

Graphite iron shafts are definitely on par performance wise with steel. The only thing holding people back from making the transition is the cost. As you mentioned, the upcharge for the premium graphite iron shafts is borderline absurd

I wonder why that is?   

For me it was a numbers and feel thing. I had s300s in my irons for around 10 years. When I was fitting myself for the new ones, I tried them all: Modus 120 and 130, x100, rifle 6.5, KBS Tour 130 and I just fell in love with the feel and the dispersion of the C-Taper 130s. I liked the heavy feel and everything was crisp. I was also able to bring my spin numbers down a little. Until I don’t have the speed to play these anymore, I’ve found my shaft.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

17 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Had TT on my G20's. When I order my C300's I opted for KBS 90's and love them. FYI they're about 30 g. lighter 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

18 hours ago, No3PuttLaLa said:

Leagues better than any of our local golf shops here in the Seattle area.

I'm not pushing Wishon clubs on you or anyone else. But I did a search on Wishon's site for club fitters and found 2 close by for you. You might do the same and call them. Ask what brands they deal with.

Just a friendly suggestion.  Good luck.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thank you. Srixon does have them for half the cost built to same spec.

CC had my swing weight for these at D7, does that automatically happen when the clubs are built to this spec, or does additional weighting need to happen?

Thank you. Srixon does have them for half the cost built to same spec.

CC had my swing weight for these at D7, does that automatically happen when the clubs are built to this spec, or does additional weighting need to happen?

Don’t know your specs; Did they suggest adding somewhere between 1/2 to inch in length? You are always best to provide all relevant information to ensure you get what you want

Z585 Irons

KBS Tour 90

+1" Length

+3* Upright

+1* Loft

Lamkin Z5 Grips (2+1)

Don’t know your specs; Did they suggest adding somewhere between 1/2 to inch in length? You are always best to provide all relevant information to ensure you get what you want

Z585 Irons

KBS Tour 90

+1" Length

+3* Upright

+1* Loft

Lamkin Z5 Grips (2+1)

IMG_0078.JPG

Z585 Irons

KBS Tour 90

+1" Length

+3* Upright

+1* Loft

Lamkin Z5 Grips (2+1)

The +1” length adds about 6 swing weight points and the grip weight is about average so it shouldn’t deduct or add any. The 585 comes stock as D2, so the configuration would be close to D7/D8. Tell them you want final swingweight as D7

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The +1” length adds about 6 swing weight points and the grip weight is about average so it shouldn’t deduct or add any. The 585 comes stock as D2, so the configuration would be close to D7/D8. Tell them you want final swingweight as D7

Srixon said they cant add or remove any swing weight directly. Which is why I asked.

Thank you a ton for your help and insight!

Srixon said they cant add or remove any swing weight directly. Which is why I asked.

Thank you a ton for your help and insight!

No problem. This is part of what club champion does for you. . You could also see if there are any other resellers/fitters that would be able to do this for you.

• 1 month later...

You can buy a direct from the manufacturer, with the same specs, for 40% less. I did the same following my CC fitting a year ago.

You can buy a direct from the manufacturer, with the same specs, for 40% less. I did the same following my CC fitting a year ago.

Yes sir! Only thing you don’t get is the “puring” of the shaft. I am not good enough to notice that anyways.

Got from Srixon for half the cost shipped. Should come in mail
This week 🤞🏻

On 10/14/2018 at 5:15 PM, jlukes said:
On 10/14/2018 at 5:12 PM, NiftyNiblick said:

Graphite iron shafts are definitely on par performance wise with steel. The only thing holding people back from making the transition is the cost. As you mentioned, the upcharge for the premium graphite iron shafts is borderline absurd

You say that but have you seen the prices of steel shafts these days??  Steel shafts are what's gotten absurd!  KBS S tapers are $55 each, Nippon Modus are $38 each, KBS tour 90 are $30 each, and Project X LZ come in at $45 each.  Even basic Dynamic Golds are $23 each and they used to be less than $15 not that long ago.  

Not that much of a stretch anymore to move to a $50 Aerotech graphite shaft.

My bag is a revolving door!

Archived