Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Practice swings

Sluggo42

So I’ve never been much of a “practice swinger”, and I’ll have to admit, watching someone take 10 practice swings actually does drive me insane.

But yesterday I made it a point to take 2 or 3 practice swings befor every shot. They weren’t the full on drive the guys nutty practice swings, but rather more of a “feel the weight”, and feel the backswing get all the way back, and keep good balance.

result was one of my better ball striking days in recent memory.

so, don’t be one of those guys who takes 10 practice swings that makes your buddies never call you again, but be that guy who does take 2 or 3, just to “get in touch” with the club you’re about to hit...  you might find it helpful

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Rarely take one before I hit the ball. Most times it is if I don’t have shot that is a stock shot for me. With a bum elbow I don’t need the extra reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I am a no practice swing person as well.  will only take them if I am trying to get the feel of the rough. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Im in the no practice swing camp as well. I will swing the club in one hand to feel the length and weight of the club while the others hit. Unless it’s a different shot than normal then i might take 1 or 2. 

I prolly should take a few with the short game those are where I feel like I lose more shots by rushing as it is

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I waggle the club  on most shots and on the first few fairway wood shots I’d take one swing to see the impact zone as it varies a bit from day to day. I sometime take a half speed practice swing on the tee shot and hold the finish and visualize the shot then trigger my short preshot routine.

I actually don’t have a problem with people taking a few extra practice swing to either shake off the tightness or get the right feel.  What I can’t stand is the people who goes thru the rep like it’s mandatory that they swing 8 times before each shot in a hurry, it serves no purpose aside from satisfying one’s OCD but it can actually hurt the real chance of executing a decent shot. 

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am a no practice swing person as well.  will only take them if I am trying to get the feel of the rough. 

Unless I'm waiting for the group ahead to clear, same for me. It seems a good many pros use at least one and/or that checked half back swing; so I probably should be 🤔.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

For the longest time I didn’t take one unless I was trying to hit a different shot, but now I generally take small ones to help remind me to get the left side open quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I take one on stock full shots. 

I take two on a non stock shot. 

I take three out for chips. 

And on putting, my routine is so natural, I can't even remember if I take a practice swing or not.🤔

In general, don't take more than 3 or maybe 4 but they can help you loosen up and commit to each shot. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I always take a half speed full rotation practice swing on every shot. Helps me get a feel for it and makes it easier to commit. On delicate chips/pitches it might be 3-4 until it feels right.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I never take a practice swing either.
My be the first hold to warm up. If it’s a really slow round, I’ll take a club out and swing so I don’t get stiff. Around the green I’ll take a couple to try and see what kind of chip shot I’ll be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I don’t do a full practice swing anymore unless I’m waiting for a group in front to clear or I’m doing a funky recovery shot. I do take a slowish waist high to waist high sort of swing to feel a body controlled motion but I’m not sure if that counts. Absolutely agree on overdoing them and that some sort of rehearsal move is beneficial though...

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I do a couple of practice swings generally with each club. The reason why is because I need to be more consciously aware of my finish. When I don't I generally don't finish facing the target. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I take about 2-3 practice swings before each shot. I don’t take turf, I’m more upright trying to establish a feel of rotation, and connection. With less-than-full wedges, chips, and pitches, I do take a true practice swing.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

14 hours ago, GB13 said:

I take one on stock full shots. 

I take two on a non stock shot. 

I take three out for chips. 

And on putting, my routine is so natural, I can't even remember if I take a practice swing or not.🤔

In general, don't take more than 3 or maybe 4 but they can help you loosen up and commit to each shot. 

It never fails to amaze me how similarly we both play...Ditto (really!)

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I take about 2-3 practice swings. However, the last few times out I felt like I was rushing them and not getting anything out of doing this each time.
Something I’ll be changing the next time out.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

I don't take a full-speed practice swing on anything beyond chip shots.  I do, however, take a slow-speed partial swing in which I concentrate on the rotation of my hips and the extension of my left leg in the forward swing.  This is the primary swing change I've tried to make over the last year or so, and I've revised my routine to continually remind myself of the "right" way to swing.  This kind of exaggerated rehearsal is something my instructor recommends, and something you'll see a lot of tour pros do.  It takes very little time, but I believe it helps me.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I take one practice swing before every shot.  On the tee box I am trying to simulate the full effect of the driver hitting the ball with solid contact, so my practice swing is often just as fast or faster than the actual stroke.  I don't know anyone else who does this honestly, as most people I know will take a half-hearted practice swing that in no way simulates the actual swing.  

I can't explain why I do this before every shot, but it's just what my Dad taught me to do, and I've been doing it the same way for 40+ years, so why stop now.

The only exception to just the one practice swing is when I am chipping around the green.  I'll often times take 3 or 4 or more practice swings, but this is purely to test the surface of the grass I am hitting the ball out of.  With heavy bermuda grass around most greens here in Florida, if you aren't testing the grass before a chip shot, you'll have no way of knowing what sort of reaction your ball will take leaving the grass.  Those extra practice shots are essential in getting a feel for how the ball will react once you strike it with the club.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

The only exception to just the one practice swing is when I am chipping around the green.  I'll often times take 3 or 4 or more practice swings, but this is purely to test the surface of the grass I am hitting the ball out of.  With heavy bermuda grass around most greens here in Florida, if you aren't testing the grass before a chip shot, you'll have no way of knowing what sort of reaction your ball will take leaving the grass.  Those extra practice shots are essential in getting a feel for how the ball will react once you strike it with the club.

I mentioned this earlier, I treat short-game shots differently, I too take multiple practice swings.  I suppose I'm getting a feel for the grass, but I'm also picturing a specific shot, trajectory and distance, and I keeping swinging until somehow I feel that my practice swing matches the shot I'm imagining.  Sometimes my mental image changes during those practice swings, but I want my image to match the feel for the practice swing.  Then I step in and hit the shot, no hesitation, just trying to repeat my last practice swing.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I always take one or two practice swings. It helps me get my tempo right and serves as a spot check for how my impact zone is working through my current lie. 

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

I'm in the few if any practice swing boat. I do on chips and more delicate shots but for most I setup and swing. Not sure why but a practice swing (full) just doesn't seem the same as the real thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

14 hours ago, Danbrook said:

I'm in the few if any practice swing boat. I do on chips and more delicate shots but for most I setup and swing. Not sure why but a practice swing (full) just doesn't seem the same as the real thing.

According to an instructor I know, a swing without a ball really isn't anything like the real thing, virtually useless for diagnostic or instructional purposes.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I take a full swing on each shot, maybe two if the the first one doesn't feel right.  It's either to break loose scar tissue, or to remember what it feels like since it's been several minutes since the last full shot.  

I always take 3 practice swings for each chip to get the feel of the club and the turf.  I also take 3 swings with the putter while judging distance looking at the hole.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I didn't forever and I'm at a place in my game where I understand what's happening in my swing so I take one to feel what I'm working on at the moment.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Archived