Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Bridgestone Prototype Balls

hckymeyer

Guys you have done an amazing job.
I am seeing, not negative's, but more like reservations about this ball. Do you think some of the unpleasant characteristics might be enhanced due to the changing season? 80* sunny and mid July the ball might react and feel different then mid 40-50's and damp?  Also are your expectations overly high due to the fact It's brand new and a Prototype?  I'm just asking..
Yes to both questions. Being a"prototype" you almost go into the testing with the expectation you have found the Holy Grail. So anything less is considered negative. Temperature and other weather conditions we all know impact the performance. That might be the thought on the late testing. Maybe getting a worse case scenario is the final piece in the ball design. I would definitely give the balls another opportunity come spring before making a final statement of performance.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Reesedw said:

I am seeing, not negative's, but more like reservations about this ball. Do you think some of the unpleasant characteristics might be enhanced due to the changing season? 80* sunny and mid July the ball might react and feel different then mid 40-50's and damp?  Also are your expectations overly high due to the fact It's brand new and a Prototype?  I'm just asking..

They may be enhance but I would say no, as I was playing the Q-Star tour to compare shots with it. There were a few short game shots that I took a QST and the proto ball from same spot and hit a few shots, consistently the QST I could get to stop where I expected, the proto just didnt have stopping power at all. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

This has been a fascinating read. Great job guys!!! 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

11 hours ago, Reesedw said:

Good question Reesedw, as for myself I don't find the ball particularly unpleasant but I am a urethane ball user and came in knowing that this SS Soft would not give the same around green performance as my B-330 RX and Chrome Soft.  I do think it is a better choice than the e-6 for me which is a ball I sometimes use on those windy days in spring and fall, so if it performs as well in the wind as the   e-6 does for me this ball will most likely become that niche ball for spring and fall that I use each year.  

As far as expectations I know I was hoping for the around green performance to much more closely mimic the B-330 RX instead of the e-6, I can't say that is the case for me.  

Thanks for the question. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

How are these into greens on full wedge shots?
I played (like crap) this past Sunday and I found an e6 soft in some thick rough. What was funny (not at the time, but now that I'm reflecting on it) was I thought it was my Tour B because it was just sitting there with the B logo up. So I had to take a penalty because I obviously played the wrong ball, and I was irritated because I lost a $4 ball and found one that costs half that. Normally I'd chuck it in my bag and swap it out for my gamer, but I was playing like poop already and I was pretty much over the round.
I knew the distance would be similar, which it was, but what I wasn't prepared for was how similar the ball compared on full wedge shots. On two occasions later in the round I was about 90-100 yards out which is pretty much a full 52* for me. Much to my surprise, the ball stuck on both approach shots. My only gripe with it compared to the Tour B XS is that it feels like crap off the putter face. Not clicky, it just feels dead and kind of hollow?

Personally, I like the spin of this prototype better than the e6. I haven’t posted my stage 2 just yet, but when I do, I had about a 90 yard shot which is also a full 52* for me and ended up finding my ball maybe a foot from my ball mark. I’m working on my stage 2 now so be on the lookout!

Cameron Martinez, RN

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

• 2 weeks later...

Related image

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone ever hear anything else on these? What feedback did Bridgestone use? Are they being released?

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

10 minutes ago, Apes44 said:

Did anyone ever hear anything else on these? What feedback did Bridgestone use? Are they being released?

They're being released as the e12. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

On 1/28/2019 at 10:13 AM, GB13 said:

They're being released as the e12. 

Thank you!

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Archived