hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Bridgestone Prototype Balls

Ok- I just want to get a few things straight here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but these balls won't compete with the AVX- AVX is top tier pricing, and urethane (and not a replacement for NXT). Also, Zstar is a tour level, urethane, ball. Qstar and Qstar Tour are different levels- Qstar Tour being are urethane ball "for slower swingers", alá Project A, non Tour Qstar is a ionomer (surlyn) covered, soft"er" ball... Not sure of pricing yet, but these appear to line up against Qstar, Duo soft spin, and others like this, while possibly trying to undercut Titleist Tour Soft. It looks to me like they'll be marketed as offering urethane like performance for less coin.

Your last sentence is not far off. They may not word it like that, being careful to avoid the word urethane.

But it is competing with Q Star and QStar Tour, Project A and to some extent Tour Soft.

Price will be $29.99. The space e6 previously held. Two versions for swing speeds plus and minus 100 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Your last sentence is not far off. They may not word it like that, being careful to avoid the word urethane.

But it is competing with Q Star and QStar Tour, Project A and to some extent Tour Soft.

Price will be $29.99. The space e6 previously held. Two versions for swing speeds plus and minus 100 mph.

I must have missed it - will they be still called e6?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

I think that is also part of this thread. If some one has an idea for a name throw it out there. Bridgestone wants everything looked at.

There's an important distinction here. This ball will NOT replace the e6. It will fit BETWEEN the e6 and Tour BRX in both price and performance.

I'm fairly certain BStone has a name in mind for these balls but that wasn't disclosed to us. Could be a fun experiment for us to toss around ideas. Going with something simple like the "M series" (m for middle) might not be a bad idea to keep with their typical naming convention. If we're really feeling frisky we could cross over into their fancy way of naming tires and go with Duplexa
  • Like 1

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

No. I'm not 100% sure the name is public knowledge yet. So I better not say. But it is distinctly different than e6 which lives on, restructured as a 2-Piece ball now at $21.99

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing
  • Like 1

So what your telling me is I need to Now change again to another ball.. the e6 will become a lessor priority... 

Is it possible that the ball companies are just providing us with too much choice? I mean it's starting to feel like there will soon be a ball specifically designed for left handed people with a 87 mph swing speed and 9 toes that were born on a Tuesday. 😜😁😎

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Is it possible that the ball companies are just providing us with too much choice? I mean it's starting to feel like there will soon be a ball specifically designed for left handed people with a 87 mph swing speed and 9 toes that were born on a Tuesday. 😜😁😎

"Shut down the production lines, lads. Seems like we've just lost the market for our 'Christchurch John' ball run"

Don't tell me you wouldn't buy that 😀

• Like 3

Is it possible that the ball companies are just providing us with too much choice? I mean it's starting to feel like there will soon be a ball specifically designed for left handed people with a 87 mph swing speed and 9 toes that were born on a Tuesday.

Yes, it’s ridiculously overwhelming.

On the bright side however, the consumer direct model has given us the incredible Vice Pro Plus. For average guys like me who have grown accustomed to and still want to play a ProV1 but can’t justify $4/ball this ball is outstanding.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Yes, it’s ridiculously overwhelming.

On the bright side however, the consumer direct model has given us the incredible Vice Pro Plus. For average guys like me who have grown accustomed to and still want to play a ProV1 but can’t justify $4/ball this ball is outstanding.

Agreed. It's going to take something special to get me away from those also.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reesedw said:

So what your telling me is I need to Now change again to another ball.. the e6 will become a lessor priority... 

Yup - just as I started to really like this ball. 

• Like 2

Come on guys, you can't say you would rather game a ball from the 70's, or 80's because you don't like change. Having such a variety of choices is what makes the game interesting. I do agree that the price points have become too high to attract young or financially strapped individuals. I would like to see Bridgestone be a pioneer in both new ball technology and price structure. I really liked playing the prototype balls they sent.
I have to say though, I really don't like numbers it letters to be the name of anything. Automobile's, to golf balls. Can't anyone be creative enough to come up with actual names?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

All of the above criteria except I have 10 toes and was born on a Thursday - I'm ready to buy that ball. 👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

All of the above criteria except I have 10 toes and was born on a Thursday - I'm ready to buy that ball. 👍

Thursday's ball will be coming out next year.😉

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Jon Brittan said:

"Shut down the production lines, lads. Seems like we've just lost the market for our 'Christchurch John' ball run"

Don't tell me you wouldn't buy that 😀

Oh man, I was looking forward to playing those 😁😎

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 11:08 AM, DawgDaddy said:

Soirée BLIND TEST, dansante et Karaoké

Hot dog, I am a tester for a new golf ball from Bridgestone Golf but I can't tell you what it is simply because I don't know what it is. This is a blind test. What I do know is that it is not a urethane cover and it will be a fit between the B330 series balls and the e series balls, both in performance and price. There are two different compression levels of the ball based on swing speed. The closest current production ball is the TaylorMade Project a, the ball I was sent is marked Soft SS for soft swing speed I imagine.

Ball flight is slightly lower for me and side spin seems to be less than I am used to. I really hope I still have some of these to put in play on a windy day this fall or spring, they may play better than the Bridgestone e-6 (hands down the best ball I have ever played in windy conditions) the ball I have been putting in play on those type of days. That single aspect would sell me at least a couple of dozen each year for those type of days, early results seem to indicate they just might fit that niche for me.

I am hesitant to comment on any distance increase/decrease as I am still getting used to my game after a major back surgery. I will give my impressions in my next write up. I have lost one of the test balls and then obviously lost another when I cut one in half. With the 4 remaining I will be glad to do any comparisons anyone might wish me to do. As much a fan as I am of Bridgestone I promise to give you as unbiased an answer as possible. As always I welcome any questions and each of us testing will be happy to answer any and all questions.

Great job big Dawg!  You always put your big ole heart into a review and it shows. 👏

On 10/15/2018 at 11:08 AM, DawgDaddy said:

Thank you Bridgestone and MGS for this testing opportunity!

• Like 3

On 10/22/2018 at 9:46 PM, GolfSpy Rob said:

No. I'm not 100% sure the name is public knowledge yet. So I better not say. But it is distinctly different than e6 which lives on, restructured as a 2-Piece ball now at $21.99

Wait, if I'm reading this correctly, the e6 is becoming a 2 piece? Do I have that right?

Wait, if I'm reading this correctly, the e6 is becoming a 2 piece? Do I have that right?

Yes, and being priced at $21.99

The new Ball is a 3 piece.