Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Thoughts on 919’s vs MP-18’s

Marine02

I’m going to get fit in the next couple weeks for new irons. Been swinging MP-53’s for 9 full seasons.  Curious if anyone has opinions on the new lines?  I’m LH so unfortunately they didn’t extend the 919 Tour line to us lefties so I’d have to look at the Forged.  I’m a 5.7 handicap 105-106 Driver swing speed if that helps anyone with intimate knowledge of these irons share their opinion specific to me. Thanks in advance. 

They are both great, but so are a bunch of other clubs. 

Do yourself a favor and go in to the fitting with an open mind. That way the fitter can put you in the clubs that work best. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

That being said, not knowing to much about your game, I would think that the MP 18 SC is your best bet for feel and workability. If you were looking for something a little more forgiving and a little longer then the JPX 919 Forged would be a better option. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I don’t get to play as much as I’d like so part of me is leaning forgiveness. I’m getting fit and I will test the Srixon line also but I don’t know if I could leave Mizuno. I absolutely love the feel. It’ll come down to which I consistently strike well when I purchase. 

MP18 SC are excellent clubs and they are cheaper than new with a few places right now.

Best get fit and try a FEW clubs similar from Titleist Ping and Wilson as FEEL is as important as looks and the trackman numbers

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

The 919 JPX are going to be hard to beat from a ballspeed perspective, but I would be curious how the MMC fair against them

A split set (mp18 MMC 4-7, SC 8-PW) could be a good option as well

I did consider a split set as well. Can’t wait to see the numbers. I absolutely love the feel with Mizuno. As long as I like the look of the 919’s at address it’ll be hard to move away from the ballspeed numbers. Assuming accuracy and consistency is there. 

I did consider a split set as well. Can’t wait to see the numbers. I absolutely love the feel with Mizuno. As long as I like the look of the 919’s at address it’ll be hard to move away from the ballspeed numbers. Assuming accuracy and consistency is there. 

Make sure sure you check in after your fitting and let us know how it goes!

peperrell just won the British Masters with the Mizuno JPX 919's.........just sayin' ;)

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Koepka won 3 Majors with the 900’s. I know they are good but they also use the Tour model.  Wasn’t sure if the Forged line was getting the love the Tour was or if the MP line would be better to go with. 

I'm a lefty with the MP 18 SC and I absolutely love them. Unfortunately we don't have the option of a split set with the MP 18 MMC's or the MB's... Sounds like we have very similar handicap and club head speed so I'd venture to say you'll love them as much as I do.

Koepka won 3 Majors with the 900’s. I know they are good but they also use the Tour model.  Wasn’t sure if the Forged line was getting the love the Tour was or if the MP line would be better to go with. 
This should tell you everything you need to know about the JPX Forged

8 minutes ago, texasranger said:

I'm a lefty with the MP 18 SC and I absolutely love them. Unfortunately we don't have the option of a split set with the MP 18 MMC's or the MB's... Sounds like we have very similar handicap and club head speed so I'd venture to say you'll love them as much as I do.

Thanks. I’m sure it’s going to be cutting hairs.  I’ll Have to go with the best combo of distance and consistency. I can’t wait to get fit

Wow. Thats awesome.

I've been given the opportunity for a set out of the current lineup. I have been torn between the MP18 MMC and the 919 Forged. That video may have just seeled the deal. Thanks.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 10/16/2018 at 5:31 AM, Marine02 said:

I’m going to get fit in the next couple weeks for new irons. Been swinging MP-53’s for 9 full seasons.  Curious if anyone has opinions on the new lines?  I’m LH so unfortunately they didn’t extend the 919 Tour line to us lefties so I’d have to look at the Forged.  I’m a 5.7 handicap 105-106 Driver swing speed if that helps anyone with intimate knowledge of these irons share their opinion specific to me. Thanks in advance. 

I have hit the 919 forged and they felt great. The Mizuno rep was there and did suggest I would go well with the MP 18 sc. I have the JPX 900 Hotmetals and have never looked back since getting them so no need to change yet 😁.

All I can say is hit as many irons as you can in your fitting and have fun 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Own the 919 Tours, currently. Owned the MP18 SC when they were released last year. They feel very identical but, the Tours are a bit more forgiving with their weight distribution, I think. You can not go wrong with either model or either line. Mizuno makes a great product. Buy with extreme confidence but, don't grab it off the rack. Get fitted and have fun!

On 10/15/2018 at 10:15 PM, jlukes said:

so how does this reflect on the rest of Mizuno clubs and for next years new clubs. Bit risky imo their head guy basically saying this is the best they can do.

so how does this reflect on the rest of Mizuno clubs and for next years new clubs. Bit risky imo their head guy basically saying this is the best they can do.
That's not what he said at all. He said that the forged model is their best combination of pure looks and technology and to date this is their best attempt at that.

While the MP blade will always be their heart and soul, the JPX Forged is the true representation of what Mizuno is as a company.

13 hours ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Wow. Thats awesome.

I've been given the opportunity for a set out of the current lineup. I have been torn between the MP18 MMC and the 919 Forged. That video may have just seeled the deal. Thanks.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

Wow, that's awesome!

and the collection keeps getting bigger. If you wanted to have them built to my specs, I wouldn't be offended. Just sayin'. 😉

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

10 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Wow, that's awesome!

and the collection keeps getting bigger. If you wanted to have them built to my specs, I wouldn't be offended. Just sayin'. 😉

Yeah right, I'd take Robs cast offs!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

He said that the forged model is their best combination of pure looks and technology and to date this is their best attempt at that.

which still sounds like the other clubs they have are not as good...in his view.

On 10/15/2018 at 12:31 PM, Marine02 said:

The Mizuno MP-53 is an excellent iron.

Are the nine seasons of play your only reason for replacing them?

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

The Mizuno MP-53 is an excellent iron.

Are the nine seasons of play your only reason for replacing them?

Mostly yes. I also took som damage on my 7 and 4 iron this year hitting rocks under the soil. 😭

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Wow, that's awesome!

Well the "collection" is going through more a thinning out and replacing, more than an adding onto...ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 3 weeks later...

I went by a golf shop to hit the MP-18 MMC irons. I had researched them and was positive these were going to be my new irons. I hit them, and nothing. Just a dead feeling. They had just got the new 919 heads in the day before. I hit the forged it was ok. Nothing spectacular. I hit the tour, and was blown away! The JPX 919 Tour irons are the best Mizuno has right now!

Archived