TESTERS WANTED! ×

What interesting people have you gotten paired with for a round?

PAgolfer2017

Spend the weekend in Texas at TPC San Antonio. Played two rounds and got paired with different groups each day, and it got me thinking. Who is the most interesting people you've ever been paired with? I'll leave the term "interesting" open to interpretation, but the one thing I love about golf is that, no matter where I go, I can meet people who, without golf, I would have never crossed paths.

On Friday I played the Oaks Course and got paired with a threesome, who was with the threesome ahead of them. Turned out they were brokers for a company and were out with clients. Loved hearing there stories about the places they've traveled and courses they've played with various clients. Real down to earth guys. 

Then on Sunday playing the Canyons Course, I got paired up with two guys for the round. We started talking and turns out one was the former president of USAA, and the other was a current VP in one of USAA's divisions. Had good conversations, and like the day before, both were great guys. Even turns out one has a family member from Central PA. Five people that I probably never would have crossed paths with if it wasn't for the game of golf, but the more I travel and get paired with others, the more I realize how much I enjoy playing with strangers. You get to meet some really great people!

So anyone else have any fun stories of people they've gotten paired with?

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

My normal group on Fridays if I can bug out of work is a Rhode Island Judge, a contractor who smokes pot the entire round and a professional poker player. The stories they all tell make me feel very boring.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Joe Namath and his brother. Two of the kindest men you’ll ever meet. We had a fun round and I was fortunate enough to join them two more times that season. Joe is the charismatic man you’d expect, his brother was just as great. Both were the partners you’d hope to be paired with. They made every minute of that day and truly enjoy the opportunity to play.

Following the round, Joe’s brother who was a pretty darn good arm played catch with us in the parking lot of the club. We ran post routes and he put a spiral on the ball that made his brother blush. Pretty simple when your hands are the size of a VW.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I play as a single often as I don't have a regular 'group', belong to a club or have a playing partner so I get paired quite a bit.

I once played with a little person who was deadly accurate....that was certainly the most interesting I can remember.

It is awkward when you're a single.... if I play with a twosome obviously they know each other and I feel like I'm intruding in a way so I try to stick to myself and let them lead the conversation.  If it's a threesome it's 50/50, either their 4th guy didn't show or it's another single... uncomfortable for me is when you go for the cart and you're paired up with another person and you both are riding in the cart - who drives, who's ball to you go to first, do you drive on the fairway...???

A lot of the time for me it's retired older gentleman because I try not to play on the weekends (5-6 hour rounds aren't my thing) and one thing I've noticed is how 'small a world' it really is.  Like @PAgolfer2017 I've met people who know someone from my town, my street, where I grew up, etc.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

10 hours ago, Charli said:

I played with a guy who had one arm. He was right handed for the longer hits and left handed for his short game. Very impressive. 

I have this visual picture in my head for this description.  I'l bite.  What did he do, switch the prosthetic arm depending on the type of shot he had?

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

A few years ago I was paired with a guy who was a retired Director of NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland. He told me many stories about his time debating/fighting with politicians over science. It sounded very interesting, but also very difficult, too.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I liked playing with my own peeps.

I rarely went to the course alone without already having a game set up.

I thought that I loved golf, but I obviously didn't love it as much as you guys

in terms of playing with anybody,

playing in all kinds of weather,

playing courses where I never played well,

and stuff like that.

If I did go to the course without a game lined up, I'd try to see who was around while I had breakfast.

If I didn't find a game, I'd just hit balls.

A perfect example was how little golf I played while on holiday.

I just didn't enjoy playing with strangers.

Alice Cooper at Ft. Lewis, Tacoma, WA.  He was performing at the Tacoma Dome that weekend.  He was playing with with a friend in the area and we were also a twosome.  The groups ahead of them were  foursomes and play was petty slow.  We were all waiting on the tee a few holes into the round and he asked if we wanted to join with them.  It suddenly dawned on me who he was after we said sure and were all teeing off.  Not overly chatty but cordial and complimentary of others shots.  He used a broom putter and is a really good golfer.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

During this summer's mens league, I was paired up with a 94 year old: a Tuskegee airman who was shot down during WW2, just wrote a book and has a 34 index. He complained he wasn't hitting the ball well so was planning on taking some more lessons. 

ttps://www.redtail.org/profiles-tuskegee-airmen-dr-harold-brown

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Maybe I am just unique in looking at golf this way, but frankly I don't care who you are, or what you do, as long as you play ready golf.  Tell all the jokes you want, screw around all you want, just as long as you are ready to hit the ball when it's your turn.  "Interesting" to me has it's own connotation in that regard when you venture outside the ready golf world in my book.  Several examples for you to consider:

• I find it "interesting" when you take 3 minutes to line up a putt, look at it from every angle, stand over the ball addressing it for more than 60 seconds, and then eventually you pull the trigger, only to know that your chances of making the putt were about as good as mine were, and I took about 25% of the time you took to hit the f'ing putt.
  • I find it "interesting" when you show up to the first tee and get paired with strangers you have never met, and have no clue how they hit the ball or what their golf game is like, and the only question they can think to ask you is, "what tees are you playing?"  I politely answer their question, and proceed to said tee box, and notice that they follow behind me like a long lost puppy, assuming that because I am playing the back tees that they belong there as well; only to see them top a ball 30 yards up the tee box, just shy of the ladies or senior tees.  I figure it's because they aren't warmed up, and assume the best, only to realize that this is the way they actually play the game, and after about 3 or 4 holes, they make the comment to me that, "you know, if you feel like taking off, and playing ahead of us, that's fine by us," knowing full well that the embarrassment of their golf game compared to mine was starting to bother them.  Meanwhile they don't realize that I see this all the time, and that I've gone out of my way to make every golfer I play with comfortable, no matter if they are scratch or can't break 120.  I also realize that I am no Brooks Koepka either, nor will I ever expect to be, and just because I happen to find a fairway or green or two doesn't mean I will keep this up for even 9 holes.
  • I find people "interesting" if they can keep up with me on a golf course.  The few people that can play as fast as I do, we generally have a common bond over that, and we become good friends this way, and play many rounds of golf going forward.  But it's more of a small % of golfers that fall into that category in my experience.

What can I say, I was taught etiquette first on the golf course, and to be extremely vigilant as to my surroundings and to whom I was in the way of, or causing to hold up someone else's game of.  Maybe that is "interesting" to others, but probably not.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 hours ago, GSwag said:

Maybe I am just unique in looking at golf this way, but frankly I don't care who you are, or what you do, as long as you play ready golf.

That is interesting, GSwag.

As for the first part, I care about a lot more than that,

because there were people with whom I'm wasn't going to enjoy playing,

and there were at least as many people who wouldn't enjoy playing with me--and that was just at my own club..

As for the second part, I only played golf hitting in formal order.  I enjoyed the formality of the game.

So it does matter, in terms of our enjoyment of a round, with whom we play.

It's why I played at a club where I wasn't ever inserted in someone's group and nobody was ever inserted in mine.

When I was a youngster, I didn't always get to choose with whom I was going to box.

Golf was completely different.

I

...not me but happened to my buddy in OR recently:

He was paired with a couple of older guys (60's?) and he gets to the tee and one of the guys is ready to tee off and starts moving his hands like he's fishing - kind of unwinding something or a type of motion you would make like you were reeling your line in.

He's thinking to himself W-T-H ???

Any guesses what he was doing?

He had a long nail with fishing line tied to it and the other end was tied to his tee.
He put the nail in the ground ahead of his tee pulled the line tight and put the tee in the ground.

He hits the ball and the tee flies out but the nail stays in the ground.... he pulls the nail out, winds the line up and puts the contraption in his pocket.

Just when you think you've seen it all, something new comes along...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

3 hours ago, strokerAce said:

...not me but happened to my buddy in OR recently:

He was paired with a couple of older guys (60's?) and he gets to the tee and one of the guys is ready to tee off and starts moving his hands like he's fishing - kind of unwinding something or a type of motion you would make like you were reeling your line in.

He's thinking to himself W-T-H ???

Any guesses what he was doing?

He had a long nail with fishing line tied to it and the other end was tied to his tee.
He put the nail in the ground ahead of his tee pulled the line tight and put the tee in the ground.

He hits the ball and the tee flies out but the nail stays in the ground.... he pulls the nail out, winds the line up and puts the contraption in his pocket.

Just when you think you've seen it all, something new comes along...

Tees are expensive lol

One of the first things I asked him was how much the guy thought a bag of tees was....

Although, he is in Oregon and they love their trees (as they should)...

Tees are expensive lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

9 hours ago, strokerAce said:

I play as a single often as I don't have a regular 'group', belong to a club or have a playing partner so I get paired quite a bit.

I once played with a little person who was deadly accurate....that was certainly the most interesting I can remember.

It is awkward when you're a single.... if I play with a twosome obviously they know each other and I feel like I'm intruding in a way so I try to stick to myself and let them lead the conversation.  If it's a threesome it's 50/50, either their 4th guy didn't show or it's another single... uncomfortable for me is when you go for the cart and you're paired up with another person and you both are riding in the cart - who drives, who's ball to you go to first, do you drive on the fairway...???

A lot of the time for me it's retired older gentleman because I try not to play on the weekends (5-6 hour rounds aren't my thing) and one thing I've noticed is how 'small a world' it really is.  Like @PAgolfer2017 I've met people who know someone from my town, my street, where I grew up, etc.

I used to hate being a single but the more I play the more I realize I enjoy it. I do agree with the "who drives, do you all play ready golf, etc..". One of the rounds I played in, I was paired with the threesome at the last minute, so I threw my bags on the back behind the passenger side. Three holes in the guy said I could drive, so we also had the awkward "who puts their clubs in first since the bags are on the wrong side" situation a few times haha. But overall, I've found that for the most part, I"d play another round with the majority of people i've been paired with.

8 hours ago, GSwag said:

Maybe I am just unique in looking at golf this way, but frankly I don't care who you are, or what you do, as long as you play ready golf.  Tell all the jokes you want, screw around all you want, just as long as you are ready to hit the ball when it's your turn.  "Interesting" to me has it's own connotation in that regard when you venture outside the ready golf world in my book.  Several examples for you to consider:

• I find it "interesting" when you take 3 minutes to line up a putt, look at it from every angle, stand over the ball addressing it for more than 60 seconds, and then eventually you pull the trigger, only to know that your chances of making the putt were about as good as mine were, and I took about 25% of the time you took to hit the f'ing putt.
  • I find it "interesting" when you show up to the first tee and get paired with strangers you have never met, and have no clue how they hit the ball or what their golf game is like, and the only question they can think to ask you is, "what tees are you playing?"  I politely answer their question, and proceed to said tee box, and notice that they follow behind me like a long lost puppy, assuming that because I am playing the back tees that they belong there as well; only to see them top a ball 30 yards up the tee box, just shy of the ladies or senior tees.  I figure it's because they aren't warmed up, and assume the best, only to realize that this is the way they actually play the game, and after about 3 or 4 holes, they make the comment to me that, "you know, if you feel like taking off, and playing ahead of us, that's fine by us," knowing full well that the embarrassment of their golf game compared to mine was starting to bother them.  Meanwhile they don't realize that I see this all the time, and that I've gone out of my way to make every golfer I play with comfortable, no matter if they are scratch or can't break 120.  I also realize that I am no Brooks Koepka either, nor will I ever expect to be, and just because I happen to find a fairway or green or two doesn't mean I will keep this up for even 9 holes.
  • I find people "interesting" if they can keep up with me on a golf course.  The few people that can play as fast as I do, we generally have a common bond over that, and we become good friends this way, and play many rounds of golf going forward.  But it's more of a small % of golfers that fall into that category in my experience.

What can I say, I was taught etiquette first on the golf course, and to be extremely vigilant as to my surroundings and to whom I was in the way of, or causing to hold up someone else's game of.  Maybe that is "interesting" to others, but probably not.

Ha. I actually chose the word "interesting" because I figured it could take on a number of meanings haha. I'm the same way as you. I play at a faster pace. My "pre-shot" routine is standing behind the ball for a few seconds, then I address and let it rip. Same thing on the green. Get a read while others are doing their thing, then when it's my turn, step up and hit the ball. 

7 minutes ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Ha. I actually chose the word "interesting" because I figured it could take on a number of meanings haha. I'm the same way as you. I play at a faster pace. My "pre-shot" routine is standing behind the ball for a few seconds, then I address and let it rip. Same thing on the green. Get a read while others are doing their thing, then when it's my turn, step up and hit the ball. 

Same thing here. I like to play fast and usually play better when I do. 

I take one quick little practice swing and then let it rip. On the greens, I read it, line it up and go. I am not one of those people who takes 30 seconds to line it up either, I don't mark it, just spin it and go. It takes 5 seconds at the most. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Every person whom I have ever been paired with has been interesting

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

No he swung his clubs with one arm. It was gone from the shoulder. There wasn’t a place for a prosthetic. He stood right handed using his  left arm for longer shots and left handed for shorter shots (you get what I’m trying to say barely making sense in my own head). It was incredible and his short game was pretty good. 

12 hours ago, strokerAce said:

Wow, I suggest you make some friends 

That is interesting, GSwag.
As for the first part, I care about a lot more than that,
because there were people with whom I'm wasn't going to enjoy playing,
and there were at least as many people who wouldn't enjoy playing with me--and that was just at my own club..
As for the second part, I only played golf hitting in formal order.  I enjoyed the formality of the game.
So it does matter, in terms of our enjoyment of a round, with whom we play.
It's why I played at a club where I wasn't ever inserted in someone's group and nobody was ever inserted in mine.
When I was a youngster, I didn't always get to choose with whom I was going to box.
Golf was completely different.

I

So ready golf can’t be “formal” golf? I don’t know about others, but my form of ready golf just means Be ready when it’s your turn. Not first one to their ball hits. We still play in order, farthest one away hits first. Same way on the PGA, if DJ bombs one 60yds past Speith, he doesn’t stand at Speith’s ball. He makes his way to his ball so he’s ready to hit when it’s his turn.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

During my consulting days, the medical director of a client was the personal physician to Calvin Peete.   I had the opportunity and genuine pleasure of a round of golf with the director and Calvin.   The director was not a very good golfer, but he sure looked good with all the stuff that Calvin gave him.  

On a side note:   A couple of weeks or so ago, I saw a report on the Golf Channel, that Calvin was on the short list to be selected to the Golf Hall of Fame.   I find it extremely disappointing and upsetting that he was not selected.   Before Tiger, Calvin was the most successful African-American golfer to have played on the PGA Tour.  He was a Ryder Cup member in 1983 and 1985, he won the Vardon Trophy in 1984, and was the Players Champion in 1985.    Most assuredly, he is worthy of the Lifetime Achievement category. 

14 hours ago, robertson153 said:

So ready golf can’t be “formal” golf? I don’t know about others, but my form of ready golf just means Be ready when it’s your turn. Not first one to their ball hits. We still play in order, farthest one away hits first. Same way on the PGA, if DJ bombs one 60yds past Speith, he doesn’t stand at Speith’s ball. He makes his way to his ball so he’s ready to hit when it’s his turn.

Blake

That form of ready golf is very appropriate

I've never favored wasting time. That's clearly rude and thoughtless.

I just tried to be understanding of slower play caused by unskillful play.

My buddy and I got paired with Hal Sutton at The Bridges in San Ramon in 2001 or so. He said his name was “Chris” as I’m sure he didn’t want to let on who he was, but it was definitely him.

It was the most embarrassing round of my life too as I played like absolute garbage while “Chris” easily shot under par.

I wouldn’t say he was very interesting either. He was pretty quiet and went about his business dismantling the course. I think he was more interested in me actually as he thought it was cool that I worked as a professional gambler at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 10/16/2018 at 10:03 PM, Charli said:

I played with a guy who had one arm. He was right handed for the longer hits and left handed for his short game. Very impressive. 

I played in a captains choice outing with a guy that had 1 arm, he rarely hit a bad shot, didstance control was tough for him, but he hit the ball pretty straight. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

In our regular Saturday group we have a guy, Ken Barun, some may recognize the name. He is the most interesting story of faith conversion that I’ve ever heard. He worked for none other than Billy Graham for many many years. He is probably in the top 3 closest people to Billy graham during his ministry. Anyway he plays on our group every week. If you get a chance I’d encourage you  to look up his story on you tube, it is very fascinating. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived