TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is PAR more of a problem than just shooting it?

Badams69

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

I get your point and think it’s well taken. As a mid to mid upper single digit handicapper my current average score is 78. But some of that is at my club which is very difficult and includes par 4’s that are 5’s for me. My best scores there are when I ignore par on the ones that play into the wind and play them to make a 5.

It’s a mental test - focusing on making the lowest score possible is always best - but can the golfer succeed in doing that?

That’s a part of the equation for us as well as for guys on tour.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think a golfer can succeed doing anything they feel will allow them to score their most likely lowest score on any hole.  Or more precisely, whatever most likely allows them to avoid the higher numbers.  It's golf after all and bigger numbers make their way onto everyones card.  So if you avoid them, you are blowing by over half the field most any day.

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

FW: Adams XTD Speedline 3W

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams and Callaway  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

BALLS:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

.. (good stuff snipped)..

.."PAR is what the professionals aim to hit" and playing bogey golf is a good day.

Read somewhere else in these forums that the term "PAR" is an acronym for...

"Professional Average Result"

Or.. if you take a large enough number of professional golfers (not just PGA Tour's top players) and have them all play a sufficiently large number of round of golf on the same course, then average out ALL of their scores on each hole, you should end up with a result such as "4" (rounded off to the integer) on a hole rated/marked as a "Par 4".

That's it.
(Some of those pros played that hole in less than 4 strokes and some played it in more than 4, but the _average_ over the entire field was approx 4)

So yeah - for non-pro recreational golfers a bogey .. or a relative +1 to a pro's average result (and only one shot more) .. is a pretty good score!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I would be strongly skeptical of PAR being an acronym for "professional average result."

It's a generic word, for one thing.

Secondly, professional golf was less important than amateur golf,

even as a spectator sport,

until well into the twentieth century.

"Open" tournaments were originally created to give club pros and a small band of exhibition match pros a chance to compete against the elite , patrician amateur stars.

http://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/origin-of-golf-terms/bogey/#par

This website suggests that "par" was borrowed from a stock exchange term meaning the "normal" or face value for a stock.  The use of par in golf replaced the original standard score for a hole, the bogey, around the 1890s.  The USGA first recommended par as a function of specific distances in 1911.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I think it’s just the number to gauge ones score against.

the well played avg score is a par for that hole. An exceptional shot will create the bird, and obviously the opposite makes a bogie. That way where ever you play you always have the same formula, and you will always have an idea of how you shot any given day, as well as how you shot relative to how you’ve been doing lately.

i think where it can go south is when people get upset about where they stand compared to par. It can be consuming no matter near or far.

its a measuring stick, no more no less.

i did like Niftys thought about having the pros just play the same holes as we do. If they make an eagle, good for them. If they shoot a 57, good for them. If they have to tee off with a 3 wood, big deal... but honestly I don’t care either way. It’s just a number

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I don't think about score that much. Sure I know what par is on every hole and I know when I score even-over-under on a hole. But if someone asks how I'm playing or"what are you right know" - I say, 3 over or 8 over- or even... or 2 under for example. Everyone can relate to that easily. I never reply with 28, or 36, or 61 referring to my total score at the moment. I don't even care what that number is. I'm either even or over or under by a certain amount. Just today a guy asked what I was on the front with 2-3 holes to go. What do you think he'd have said if I'd replied... 23. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just enjoy "food for thought" type discussions.

As we all do, I also will reference where I stand in terms of over or under par.  It is a standard measure that we all comprehend and can be very useful.

My whole point revolves more around those, and there are many, who don't digest par for what it is.

As I attempted to describe, I see all too often people using a score by name and supposed value to change the way they will or won't approach that stroke.  It is all too common for one of our playing partners, or even ourselves, to verbalize the supposed higher value prior to making a stroke of any kind - most often a putt.  Many times this will psych them out from the get-go and eliminate not only their chance of success on that stroke but also on subsequent strokes when they fail to succeed.

Although there are others (all of us - of course 🤥) who only rise to those occasions and raise our level of play for that stroke of such import!

Maybe this is the golf coach in me talking .... but I just sense that when any player loses ground to par at a rate higher than they wished prior to the round, or gains strokes in an equally unexpected fashion ...... then they lose sight of what they are doing or what is still ahead of them in either situation.

Three holes in and 6 over for a good player is not in and of itself a death sentence for the round.  There are far more holes left than they played .... plenty of opportunity to get your arze in gear and shoot a couple over.  

-2 after seven for a guy who normally shoots 82 ...... no cause for alarm either ..... just keep playing and stop looking at how you stand to par.

Meaning ...... we relate that over or under par at any point in the round and then just attach it to 72 and imagine that as our final score.  The two are realistically as unrelated as they are seemingly intertwined. 

I simply am convinced that this would be less common if the mindset was more in line with the reality - which is that it is the final total that matters.  As much as this sounds like they are the same, for many they are not from a mindset /psychological approach aspect. 

Just my thoughts from playing, observing, reading, and coaching - it also stems from seeing similar thinking in other sports as it relates to score prior to the end of whatever game is being played.

WITB

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

5 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I don't think about score that much. Sure I know what par is on every hole and I know when I score even-over-under on a hole. But if someone asks how I'm playing or"what are you right know" - I say, 3 over or 8 over- or even... or 2 under for example. Everyone can relate to that easily. I never reply with 28, or 36, or 61 referring to my total score at the moment. I don't even care what that number is. I'm either even or over or under by a certain amount. Just today a guy asked what I was on the front with 2-3 holes to go. What do you think he'd have said if I'd replied... 23. 

Wait, I thought you had 24 so far?🧐

WITB

This is an interesting discussion because when I shoot my lowest scores - I am never really paying attention to individual pars but rather hitting the shots needed. Case in point - I played a round a few weeks ago with my wife riding along with me - the course was playing 6,000ish and I was just enjoying my wife's company and trying to hit shots and make putts - when I totalled it up at the end - 64. It was shocking to me - I knew I was playing well but I was lost in the game and not par. I'm not sure if I'm conveying my thoughts well enough but the more focused I am in hitting shots the better my results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Archived