TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade Not Attending 2019 PGA Show

Golfspy_CG2

Got word this morning that it will not be exhibiting at the show in January. Taylormade typically had the largest presence at the show along with Callaway.

The news came via letter from David Ables, CEO. To me it indicates we either a cost cutting move or that they don't have anything earth shaking in new product to come out.   Typically other major companies follow TaylorMade in this regard. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

It also opens up a huge amount of prime exhibiting area for Reed Expo to fill with 3 months to go.

Will be interesting to here the discussion following this.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Maybe they're finally catching on that they're not the best thing since canned piss.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've never been, but seems as though that is a pretty big deal. I would think they would want to be there in some form or fashion. I can remember seeing the pictures of their booth when they signed tiger. Looked like it took up half the room!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think the PGA show is a great place for a golf gear junkie to go exploring doesn’t provide the same opportunities that it once did for the manufacturers or vendors. Along with better ways to market new product and product releases happening all year the PGA show no longer is the single time of year to see everything.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not coordinating with the  big trade shows makes more sense now than it might have been when PGA of America pros were the primary vendors of premium golf clubs. 

Everything changes.  We each have personal opinions as to whether the changes are for the better or not.

Sounds like someone did a cost benefit analysis of the show. Pick one of the two:: are your marketing dollars better spent on Pro's hats and $$ paid to the TV camera man as he zooms in on that titleist ball on the green or a big booth which is not accessible to most of the golfers in the US. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Seems like the tides are turning 🧐

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

The show has been slowly dying as floor space continues to become more expensive and companies continue holding their own events for launches.  The PGA of america needs to adapt and change the format of the show to be more consumer and brand friendly

Interesting but with new ownership onewhat not surprising.  I’m guessing they will still have a presence at demo day for the m5/6 line and new p series irons.  

Also guessing mgmt will host meetings/briefings with press and retailers during the week 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

The show has been slowly dying as floor space continues to become more expensive and companies continue holding their own events for launches.  The PGA of america needs to adapt and change the format of the show to be more consumer and brand friendly

This is probably the most likely of all scenario's along with I still think the PE Firm that bought them didn't see the benefit vs. the cost. 

Funny I just met with the local Rep from one of our OEM who had a VP of Sales along with him, and we were discussing this, and he said he really can see with all the accounts, like ours that were placing our Spring Orders this time of year--which we just did--what really is the rep going to do at the show other than to say, "hey good to see you again"  but not have any need to take an order. 

it would seem to make much more sense for it to be right around this time of year of early November.  Most companies have had their Sales Meetings and the reps have been introduced to the new product, so it would be natural timing.    But the golf industry is slow to change sometimes. 

Oh and in a bit of ironic timing, I got the official email this morning from the PGA of America that registration for the show is now open...ha

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting but with new ownership onewhat not surprising.  I’m guessing they will still have a presence at demo day for the m5/6 line and new p series irons.  

Also guessing mgmt will host meetings/briefings with press and retailers during the week 

Possibly, Mizuno had taken that approach in the past few years, didn't have any exhibit space or demo day presence.  But had rented a small meeting room, to meet with key accounts throughout the week.  

As for Demo Day, I'm not sure if you can have Demo Day space if you don't rent floor space.   Seems like I've heard that.  And TM's demo day setup was always much bigger than most companies actual booth!! 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Spot on.  As always, follow the money.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

... The amount of money TM spends at the show has to be mind boggling, easily millions. Their booths and demo day space were massive with individual attention given to any and everyone interested in TM. It will be a huge blow to the Show not having them there and no Demo Day presence will cause crowding at other booths. Sucks for everyone other than TM but it makes business sense. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I'm not in the know on this but I've certainly read enough that it seems that this says more about the show and it's changed significance than it does about Taylor Made. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

This is probably the most likely of all scenario's along with I still think the PE Firm that bought them didn't see the benefit vs. the cost. 

Funny I just met with the local Rep from one of our OEM who had a VP of Sales along with him, and we were discussing this, and he said he really can see with all the accounts, like ours that were placing our Spring Orders this time of year--which we just did--what really is the rep going to do at the show other than to say, "hey good to see you again"  but not have any need to take an order. 

it would seem to make much more sense for it to be right around this time of year of early November.  Most companies have had their Sales Meetings and the reps have been introduced to the new product, so it would be natural timing.    But the golf industry is slow to change sometimes. 

Oh and in a bit of ironic timing, I got the official email this morning from the PGA of America that registration for the show is now open...ha

Bingo - the PGA show made sense when everyone was doing spring releases.  However, now everything is scattered throughout the year so there are very few "new releases" at the show.  This, along with the rise in social media and blog coverage of equipment releases, has made the PGA Show, in its current form, damn near obsolete

Bingo - the PGA show made sense when everyone was doing spring releases.  However, now everything is scattered throughout the year so there are very few "new releases" at the show.  This, along with the rise in social media and blog coverage of equipment releases, has made the PGA Show, in its current form, damn near obsolete

This times 100. There’s no sense in being at a show when your product has already been launched, or everyone knows about it. You’re not going to generate appreciable revenue in that instance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Also apparently not exhibiting this year, at least as of today so it's not totally official,  Cobra/Puma and Bridgestone--But they (Bridgestone)didn't exhibit the past two years. 

Confirmed among club companies are:

Callaway

Titleist

PING

Cleveland/Srixon

Tour Edge

Evenroll

... Rob, Cobra/Puma did exhibit at the show the last 2 years and Cobra in a big way both at Demo Day and on the Show floor. I used to be able to talk to the engineers at Cobra but last year I had to make an appointment and that got pushed a few times because they were very busy. 

But Tony has said he was hearing great things about M6..... I guess they’re not launching it around the show...????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

To me this is a big deal. They have a large PGA Club pro staff that attended this type of event. I would think they could scale back the booth but maybe they have different plans. It’s not a good sign for golf. And they have Tiger.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

... Rob, Cobra/Puma and Bridgestone did exhibit at the show the last 2 years and Cobra in a big way both at Demo Day and on the Show floor. I used to be able to talk to the engineers at Cobra but last year I had to make an appointment and that got pushed a few times because they were very busy. 

Chi. Yes indeed. Cobra/puma was there last year. I got to spend a good about of time with Jose talking about the F8 line. I was saying as of today they are not registered for 2019.  Bridgestone did not exhibit the past two years. It's last year was 2016. I know that for certain as I have a good friend there.

2 minutes ago, jacustomgolf said:

To me this is a big deal. They have a large PGA Club pro staff that attended this type of event. I would think they could scale back the booth but maybe they have different plans. It’s not a good sign for golf. And they have Tiger.

... We are just guessing of course but you know how massive TM's demo day and showroom exhibit space was in years past. If they scaled that in half, it would still be a very viable presence but people would be wondering what happened to TM and why are they only half the size? Lose-lose for TM. I do think the PGA Show was still useful worldwide but for the US it has changed radically. When I first started going to the show, taking pictures and reporting on new  yet to be seen equipment was exciting for me and those viewing what was introduced at the show. In the last several years I can't, off the top of my head remember anything released we had not seen in the fall. I have a feeling the show itself is on borrowed time. 

But Tony has said he was hearing great things about M6..... I guess they’re not launching it around the show...????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or have other launch plans in effect. Might be more cost effective to bring the top accoounts into Carlsbad for a big launch event. That way they have 100% of their attention. And depending on the event can develop more loyalty out of them or at least increased.

... Rob, 15 years is too many shows to remember everyone. I could have sworn I hit Bridgestone clubs on Demo Day last year or at least thought I remembered seeing their ball testing set up. I was wrong and obviously remembered them from previous years. 

... Rob, 15 years is too many shows to remember everyone. I could have sworn I hit Bridgestone clubs on Demo Day last year or at least thought I remembered seeing their ball testing set up. I was wrong and obviously remembered them from previous years. 

No worries and they do all blend together. I know I was dissapoited they weren't there, as I missed out on whst would have been a very nice dinner. I didn't see the ball testing last year. I must have missed that.

It's funny you mention how busy everyone is. One of the people I didn't have an advance appointment with was Tomo from TM and everytime I went to the booth he had a crowd of 5 or 6 people around him.

You being up a good point on how crowded the other booths at demo day will be due to the TM absence

This isn't the only industry that this is happening to. The watch industry has a yearly show called Baselworld and it also has declined due to manufacturers pulling out.  In simple terms, the economy as it is and slow sales could no  longer justify the massive expense (floor space fees, the salaries, the lavish catering, gifts, displays) that  goes along with setting up at these events- for the sole purpose of introducing new products when online presence  and social media is now proving to be the new standard and is more cost effective. 

Watch manufacturers being very stodgy in their ways have opened up to the new online way of life  and now you are seeing premium brands being offered for sale on their websites instead of strictly at high end "boutique shops".

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

56 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

This isn't the only industry that this is happening to. The watch industry has a yearly show called Baselworld and it also has declined due to manufacturers pulling out.  In simple terms, the economy as it is and slow sales could no  longer justify the massive expense (floor space fees, the salaries, the lavish catering, gifts, displays) that  goes along with setting up at these events- for the sole purpose of introducing new products when online presence  and social media is now proving to be the new standard and is more cost effective. 

Watch manufacturers being very stodgy in their ways have opened up to the new online way of life  and now you are seeing premium brands being offered for sale on their websites instead of strictly at high end "boutique shops".

I was thinking along the same lines.  I noted several of the long time, big name aerospace suppliers opt not to attend both spring and fall shows.  I knew one of their Sales & Marketing Directors for a good many years and when asked, she said that it is simply no longer made good business sense - citing both much higher trade show costs and other, more effective, lower cost marketing avenues.  Trade shows like retail malls will likely go by way of the floppy disk.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived