TESTERS WANTED! ×

Frequency matching of Recoil 95 irons shafts

Obtained set of UST Recoil 95 iron shafts (5-PW stiff) pullouts.  Checked frequency of each shaft with tip weight.  Trying to match up with some Callaway Apex heads.  Frequencies checked seemed OK (306-310 cpm) with the 5-7 iron shafts.  But the 8-PW shafts jumped up to 328-330.  The options I have to lower the short iron frequencies is to either make the shafts longer or to add weight in the tip.  Don't want to make them longer, so adding weight is the only option.  But that would seriously increase the swing weight.  Should I be concerned about that???

I would appreciate anyone weighing in with some advice.

Thank you.

The Recoils are taper tip and ascending weight (and balance point probably) so any attempt at frequency matching is pretty difficult really. The difference in weight and balance point account for the increase in cpm you're getting from 7 to 8-iron for instance. Have you tried each shaft without tip weighting to see what dry fit swing weight you have? And how are you measuring the frequency?

Thanks for responding.  Yes.  I got D2-3 swing weight in the 5-7.  Then I got D5-6 in the 8-PW.  I guess that is not all that bad.  But recently I got really interested in frequency matching.  I don't have a real expensive frequency machine.  First I found the spine, then put a "protractor" disk on the shaft marked off in 16 segments (every 22.5 deg.). I took a frequency reading at each segment mapping the frequency around the circumference.  Then I flowed the shaft with the club head dry fitted on the shaft.  I recorded the segment number were the club "flowed".  The flow position would be used at the 9:00 position of the shaft at assembly.  Hope I didn't get too much in the weeds about my process.

I did not know about the principle around the Recoil shaft.  I was always trained to get 2-3 cycles between each club thru the set.

As an experiment I fully assembled the 7 iron of this set, took it to the range and hit it.  I liked it.  It was in the D2-3 range.  Maybe I should take the 8 and assemble it and do the same thing.

Any comment?

11 minutes ago, Ground Hog said:

Thanks for responding.  Yes.  I got D2-3 swing weight in the 5-7.  Then I got D5-6 in the 8-PW.  I guess that is not all that bad.  But recently I got really interested in frequency matching.  I don't have a real expensive frequency machine.  First I found the spine, then put a "protractor" disk on the shaft marked off in 16 segments (every 22.5 deg.). I took a frequency reading at each segment mapping the frequency around the circumference.  Then I flowed the shaft with the club head dry fitted on the shaft.  I recorded the segment number were the club "flowed".  The flow position would be used at the 9:00 position of the shaft at assembly.  Hope I didn't get too much in the weeds about my process.

I did not know about the principle around the Recoil shaft.  I was always trained to get 2-3 cycles between each club thru the set.

As an experiment I fully assembled the 7 iron of this set, took it to the range and hit it.  I liked it.  It was in the D2-3 range.  Maybe I should take the 8 and assemble it and do the same thing.

Any comment?

I would assemble the 8 and see if you like it. If you do, who cares about the CPM or SW, at the end of the day, the number you write on the card matters more than the CPM/SW. If you like the 8, build at set with the recoils, if you don't, consider it a unsuccessful  experiment. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

• 2 weeks later...

You don't want to make them longer that wouldn't help your game

you don't want to make them heavier and rightfully so the much added weight may throw you off as well.

Sounds like your stuck putting them together and giving them a go. If the lower end doesn't work then you are better for the experience.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Thanks for your response.  That is exactly what I have done.  I called UST and the tech told me that the Recoil design is not conducive to frequency matching. (Just as fellow spy "JASKANSKI" told me).   So I assembled the entire set.  Swing weights came out pretty well with no tip weight added. Now I am anxiously awaiting a trip to the range.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of the original statement of the using a weight to check Freq. If you used a singular weight it would be expected to go up as you check the flex. The head weight increases as you go down the set. The shaft compensates for that too.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Archived