TESTERS WANTED! ×

Biggest (not so big) Names in Irons

fixyurdivot

So I'm still debating on upgrading my irons.  The fitting data did show some added distance and accuracy to center stripe; G400's besting the Mizuno and Titleist I hit. In several other threads concerning irons, some have mentioned not being name brand blind in considering options - that their are some manufactures who make some equal performing equipment at a much lower price. The Golf Shop in Bozeman had Tour Edge, but for some reason, I ended up not testing them - think I just spent too much time with the G400's.  

I'm now looking at their website and it appears their gaining some ground in the market and on tours.  I don't know anything more about them or other not so big names worth considering.  With CAD/CAM being the standard today and constraints of design limited to an extent by USGA rules, it would seem differences between iron club heads would be fairly small and that more of the results are shaft dependent?  

For those of you who play lesser known brand irons, which ones do you play?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Have you considered Cobra irons, even though they are somewhat of a big brand name, they are usually a little less expensive than most other big brands, especially if you're buying last year's models or slightly used clubs.

I was able to pickup some barely used F7 irons earlier this year, for $178, shipping included through eBay, and I know Cobra usually has pretty good discounts if you don't want to buy used.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If I were still playing and moved to buy new irons, I'd look at Edel.

A not small company, Titleist, makes the new model that looks the most promising to me, the Titleist AP3.

I'd pass them over for the Edels, though, because the Edel custom stamping option would take precedence over the promising Titleist design.

That's how insane I am about "jacked" club number / loft correlations.

That's why my career golf highlight was finishing 18th of 144 at a union outing of some really mediocre golfers!

I like my Hogan Ft. Worths. As a kid growing up playing flat soled, sharp leading edge blades on less than ideal courses, my miss I was most concerned with was hitting it fat, which means many times I’d be afraid to hit down and would hit it thin.

The Hogan V-Sole is really an outstanding design and has eliminated my fear of the fat shot. I don’t think I’ll play anything other than a V-sole iron (Srixon and Cleveland have both caught my eye) ever again.

It just so happens that Srixon, Cleveland, and Ben Hogan are those not as big companies that make outstanding equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Don't forget Bridgestone. They make some pretty sweet irons. If you are looking at G400's, maybe you should check the Bridgestone HF2 review thread.

Wishon, Wilson Staff and Srixon all make great irons as well. There is really no limit to the number of companies that make great irons. Some swear by Mizuno, Miura, or Honma but in all reality most clubs are "close" to each other. Just make sure you get a fitting so you have the right lies and shafts!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Have to second Bridgestone, if I wasn't chosen for testing I would never have thought about them and they make a great iron. Also Srixon and Ben Hogan.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have a set of Cleveland irons from about 2012 or so and they are the best feeling irons I’ve ever hit. If I was looking to buy new irons I would have to look at srixon, Bridgestone and mizuno first.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

W/S has always been the best "bang for your buck" irons IMHO, with Cobra a very close second. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Of the brands being suggested, Wishon is the only one I'm not familiar with.  Since I just recently completed an iron fitting, with the Ping G400's and Project X 5.5 shafts yielding best LM results, what specific club models within these options do you think most closely matches the G400's?   

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'm sure MATTF left this open for me to reply cuz he knew I wouldn't be able to resist.. 😋

Maltby makes some outstanding equipment. You'll notice me yapping about them all over MGS. I've commented elsewhere on the history of Ralph Maltby (no relation to Roger Maltbie) and how in the 80's he took Tom Wishon under his wing just out of college to help him get his feet wet in the golf equipment design/manufacturing bizz. We all know what became of Wishon. These days, Maltby isn't maybe as well recognized as Tom but highly regarded nonetheless. I've been playing their DBM irons for about a year now and couldn't be happier. When I was going through the self-fitting process for the DBM's, I probably swung every OEM available in their class. There were a few that I said "well maybe I should be looking at these instead".. but I stayed patient and waited for my Maltbys to be built. I was blown away in all aspects. Looks are a 10, feeling, performance, and craftsmanship are all a solid 9. Value is an 11! ($450 for 4-GW with Nippon shafts and pure grips + a 4h that just flies)

Here's the pic that I posted for my Bridgestone wedge review. Side suggestion: I'm pretty sure that all of us that were involved with the Bridgestone wedge review agreed that the Bridgestone lineup is also very impressive.

Maltby.jpg

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'm actually gaming some old Cleveland CG-6s right now. And they are very forgiving. The TA series Cleveland made years ago (I had a set of gunmetal TA-5s and also have a TA-7 GW in the bag now) were as forgiving and playable as anything, imho. I haven't played anything newer from Cleveland, so I can't comment on those, but the TA series was as good as anything.

Wishons here. Best irons I've ever played*. and... I've played a lot of them.

Most people don't want to play irons that aren't in a Golf Digest magazine. But they should if they can find a competent fitter.

*mine were all custom fit and built.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

2 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Wishons here. Best irons I've ever played*. and... I've played a lot of them.

Most people don't want to play irons that aren't in a Golf Digest magazine. But they should if they can find a competent fitter.

*mine were all custom fit and built.

Second this statement they make everything from GI to tiny blades 

Archived