TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have you ever been hit by a golf ball?

Mr. 82

Have you ever been hit by a golf ball?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been hit by a golf ball?

• Yes
    • No

I'll let you tell your story below if you like.  I bring this up because they were actually talking about this on PGA Tour radio today (I guess it is a slow news day) and Michael Adams assumed that everyone who has ever played the game has been hit by a golf ball.  I wanted to call in and tell him I've never been hit by one, but I opted to take a pass on that waste of time.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I was walking from the 7th tee box down the fairway, hole 8 comes down the right side of 7, there was a guy between the 2 holes, so we stopped and waited for him to hit, we watched him swing, I saw the ball headed straight toward me, I was about 180 yards away, and I couldn’t move, I had barely enough time to put my hands over my face and try to duck, but it was so fast, the ball hit me about where an appendix scar would be, so it was very close to really bad news. The spot it hit just below the belt and to the right turned instantly black and blue. It hurt really bad for a minute, then we continued the round. I felt pretty fortunate that it didn’t really do any damage. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

10 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I was walking from the 7th tee box down the fairway, hole 8 comes down the right side of 7, there was a guy between the 2 holes, so we stopped and waited for him to hit, we watched him swing, I saw the ball headed straight toward me, I was about 180 yards away, and I couldn’t move, I had barely enough time to put my hands over my face and try to duck, but it was so fast, the ball hit me about where an appendix scar would be, so it was very close to really bad news. The spot it hit just below the belt and to the right turned instantly black and blue. It hurt really bad for a minute, then we continued the round. I felt pretty fortunate that it didn’t really do any damage. 

That's scary!. I've had a ball land close to me (couple of yds away) but never got hit. I'd royally pi**ed if that happened. No excuse for it. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Silvia Bertolaccini, the Argentine LPGA Tour player from a few years back,

drilled me right between the shoulder blades with her drive when I was trying to catch up with the next group.

I guess that she didn't like me leaving her gallery.

It's not nearly as bad getting hit by a descending drive as compared to an ascending one, thankfully.

Sadly, as an animal lover, I once killed a goose with an ascending drive.

I hit her right in the head as she swooped in front of the tee. 

Completely ruined my round and the rest of the season, really.

never been hit but hit 2 people.... not hard... one guy had walked off the green and was going to the next hole so I hit my approach but he turned around and walked back toward the green...I yelled fore but he didn't look...didn't hit him hard bounced and hit his leg or something.... other guy was on the other fairway and I hit my 2nd and he walked towards our fairway from his... ball bounced and hit his leg.... yelled fore to him too.

i've had some close calls but never been hit - thankfully - but sometimes when guys get hit it's their own fault...not always, but sometimes.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

No, but the most interesting story I have is, 

At my home course, the par 3 3rd and and the par 3 12th greens are really close to one another, (almost a joint green but not), so the pins are about 150ft apart. I was putting out on the 12th while a foursome was teeing off on the 3rd. The last guy steps up hits a thinned, topped, slice, it rolls through the rough, and the bunker of the 12th rolls up on top of the ridge. While I am putting, the ball starts rolling down the ridge, right at the hole. 

30 feet later, the ball drops in the hole of the wrong green.

I yelled back to that guy, 

Hey, you just got a hole in one, but you can't tell anyone that it was on the wrong hole!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Yes, I have been hit, and it doesn't feel very good.  Several years ago at my old course, there is a par 5 that heads to a corner of the property.  After finishing the hole, the cart path runs along the the outside edge of the par 5 back along the fairway for 50 yards to get to the next tee.  It's in plain view to anyone playing the par 5 and anyone playing that hole will wait until carts are out of the way.  The only way to get hit is if a right-handed player snap hooks their second shot.  Unfortunately, a left-handed player wasn't watching and sliced a shot that hit me on the arm just below my elbow while I was driving a cart.  He did yell Fore!  He was actually a guy I knew and worked with for 20 years!!  My arm had a big knot on it, but I put a bag of ice on it and played 15 more holes.  I was a little worried because I was leaving on a weeklong golf trip the next day.

One of my biggest complaints about my current muni course is the mounding between holes.  We have relatively few trees and the course designer put in large mounds of grass, some 10 feet high which makes for interesting lies if you are off the fairway.  The problem is that when people hit an errant shot into an adjacent fairway, they can't see anyone, so no one yells Fore!; not sure anyone could hear it anyway.  Last year I was nearly hit 26 times; I count balls that land within 10 yards of me.  So far this year, the count is down... only 14 times.  The worst hole is #10 which runs parallel to the right of the driving range.  Maybe that's why I hit to the far right on this hole 90% of the time?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yes, I have been hit, and it doesn't feel very good.  Several years ago at my old course, there is a par 5 that heads to a corner of the property.  After finishing the hole, the cart path runs along the the outside edge of the par 5 back along the fairway for 50 yards to get to the next tee.  It's in plain view to anyone playing the par 5 and anyone playing that hole will wait until carts are out of the way.  The only way to get hit is if a right-handed player snap hooks their second shot.  Unfortunately, a left-handed player wasn't watching and sliced a shot that hit me on the arm just below my elbow while I was driving a cart.  He did yell Fore!  He was actually a guy I knew and worked with for 20 years!!  My arm had a big knot on it, but I put a bag of ice on it and played 15 more holes.  I was a little worried because I was leaving on a weeklong golf trip the next day.

One of my biggest complaints about my current muni course is the mounding between holes.  We have relatively few trees and the course designer put in large mounds of grass, some 10 feet high which makes for interesting lies if you are off the fairway.  The problem is that when people hit an errant shot into an adjacent fairway, they can't see anyone, so no one yells Fore!; not sure anyone could hear it anyway.  Last year I was nearly hit 26 times; I count balls that land within 10 yards of me.  So far this year, the count is down... only 14 times.  The worst hole is #10 which runs parallel to the right of the driving range.  Maybe that's why I hit to the far right on this hole 90% of the time?

Yeah, there is one course that I don't play very often that has a 230 yard par 3, and the tee box for the next hole is 10 feet off the back of the green. I have almost been hit there so many times. At 230 people don't have any distance control and almost always miss the green so this tee box placement makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Bounces don't really count if we're talking about serious hits..

People don't get hurt by bouncing balls.

Startled, maybe.

hit by a ball is hit by a ball...doesn't matter if it's bouncing or not.... If I'm in the middle of the fairway, some guy tees off and hits a drive and it bounces once and nails me it's probably going to hurt.

I think part of the 'being hit by a ball' thing is not the pain but the anger associated with it...

if bounces aren't considered maybe the post title should be "have you ever been injured when hit by a ball?"

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

41 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Yeah, there is one course that I don't play very often that has a 230 yard par 3, and the tee box for the next hole is 10 feet off the back of the green. I have almost been hit there so many times. At 230 people don't have any distance control and almost always miss the green so this tee box placement makes no sense. 

Fortunately, we don't have any tees close to the previous green.  When I began paying golf, a course I played did have a tee behind the previous green, a par 4. They were smart enough to put a row of arborvitae next to the tee box.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Once! I saw it coming towards me, it bounced once and like a rabbit in the headlights I stood there until it hit me on the head!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Got hit when I was a kid, in the back of the leg. I was in the fairway next to the cart and got whacked in the back of my thigh. I don't remember if it bounced or was on the fly, I just remember crying and then my uncle made the guy apologize to me for hitting into us, and not yelling fore. He's lucky he didn't get beat up on his vacation.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I don’t remember too awful much other than it was the par 5 18th hole which has a blind tee shot and I was on the receiving side waiting on the green to clear when I got clocked in the back of the head on the fly. Pain was just a tad strong (very very strong) and ended up getting driven home and getting checked out for good measure. Thankfully mine wasn’t as serious as it could’ve been but I’m still waiting to see if I woke any telekinetic abilities not holding my breath though

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

The key telekinetic ability you'll want to practice is directing the ball to he hole.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

52 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

The key telekinetic ability you'll want to practice is directing the ball to he hole.

The extent of my abilities seem to be pushing the ball away from the hole... 

I should have never started this thread. This is the 2nd time in 2 days where I've had a close call with incoming wayward white meteors from opposite tee boxes.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Nope, thankfully not.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Yes, but never hit hard.

The closest I ever came to an injury was our 6th hole is a blind tee shot. I was playing the 7th hole and after a less than perfect drive, I hit my second from the middle of the 6th fairway. I was “posing” after my swing when a tee shot from the 6th tee struck the shaft of my club between my left ear and my hands. Well, more like clipped the shaft because the ball continued on several yards. Other than almost needing a change of underwear no damage was done.

The lesson here is try to stay in the proper fairway to reduce the chance of this happening.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I got hit when I was a teenager in the back of the head. We were on a tee box waiting to tee off we were watching the group playing the hole beside us maybe 75 yards away. That hole is a par 5 and the guy was hitting his fairway wood. He snap hooks it and all we could do was turn so it wouldn’t hit my face. It one hopped thank god and smoked the back of my head. I went down but shook it off and came out with a nice bruise. Luckily it didn’t cut me open. But it did hurt like hell. And I couldn’t wear a hat for a few days.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I was hit in the chest at a fundraiser. It was a shotgun start and the tee box I started on was behind and right from a 165 yard par 3 green. The tee box was probably 20-30 yards past the green. One of the guys teeing off wasn't a golfer and pulled driver. No one yelled and I took it in the chest while standing near my cart. Stung for a while but didn't end my day. It was deflected by some smaller branches, I'm guessing they took something off the shot.

He explained that he thought "You hit a driver from the tee box" and didn't even consider distance. I guess no one in his group was paying attention either...

At the end of the round their group was so drunk they didn't make it to dinner. Can't say I missed having them there.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Practice round in high school golf, was playing with the one girl on our team. Stood about 10 yards in front of her and about 20 yards to the right. Took a straight shank off a five iron right above the heart. Laid on the fairway for some time. Took a cart back to the clubhouse and had a pretty wicked bruise... hurt like an mf'r.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Was putting on the 3rd green while someone was teeing off on the 2nd hole about 75 feet away.  Person teeing off hit a low screamer that found the back of my thigh.  He was hitting a yellow ball and I was wearing shorts, it left a yellow mark on my leg.  It hurt but not near as bad as the baseball I took to the forehead while pitching.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Oh it hurts so bad, though I was shot for a second. I was in the 9th Fairway with my back to the first tee about 60 yards away. Tee shot was hard and low way right and drilled me right between the shoulder blades. Went down like I got punched by Tyson. Guy that hit the shot had no remorse at all and picked his ball up and moved on, crotchety old man. Needless to say I only played 9 that day.

16 hours ago, jacustomgolf said:

I got hit when I was a teenager in the back of the head.

That explains a lot! 🤣 

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I’ve never been hit but I’ve had a lot of close calls and have seen a few people be grazed or knocked. It doesn’t look fun at all.
I’ve played / competed at paintball most of my life and those little bastards traveling at 200 mph don’t phase me anymore but a golf ball had so much more mass, albeit are going a bit slower depending how hard they were hit and far away you are but the real problem is the weight and the dispersion of energy when a ball hits you. I wouldn’t think a golfball hitting flesh or a body would deform much which could focus more energy on a smaller point and be more damaging.
Either way, yell fore, and when you hear it, look down, cover your head with your hands and wrap your elbows around the sides of your head and get squat position. You’ll get a bruise but should be safer.

Archived