TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron Terminology

fixyurdivot

Being a golf technology relic has it woes.  I keep seeing the term GI and SGI used in discussions and didn't think much of it.  Then I ran across this description; "if it looks ugly, it's a GI, if it curdles milk at 10 paces, it's a SGI".  🤣  I should have made the connection while reading the MPF data on various irons.  I note that many simply cannot get around the ginormous size of some of the SGI irons (G700's for example). The G400's, JPX900 (forged), and M3's I recently tested didn't seem excessively large to me.  While I'm on this iron hunt, that will be another thing to consider.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

When I began the hunt for "modern" equipment last year, my research dictated that I look for GI or more better SGI irons since I was coming in fairly cold having had sparse golf experience prior. I settled into my current GMax set and got to hacking without really knowing (or considering really) what they looked like. The more I've cruised around here in the forums, the more it became apparent that all irons are not created equal and many better players have looks as a criteria. In fact I only just figured out what off-set is since I've read several posts about irons having "severe" or "ugly" off-set. The top-lie look as well as sole width seems to be a constant consideration as well. These along with several other factors always seem to be prevalent factors for many guys who have a great deal more experience with such things than I. In other words, my irons must "curdle milk at 10 paces" (that's frickin' hilarious really!😂) but to my untrained eye, they look just fine to me (super fine now with their metallic blue highlights coupled with their shiny new metallic blue shafts..) and perform as-advertised for my current game.

Now I get the desire to carry "blades" since they seem to have shot-shaping qualities in the hands of the single digit guys, and blades certainly look cool too. But if they don't work for your game, don't ego-up and get them anyway. Play what works! Don't worry about what you think others think they look like. Joke 'em if they can't take a f***!😉

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I honestly think the standard iron terminology of the past is all but extinct.

I think now you have true blades on one end super game improvement irons on the other end and then a bunch of grey-area classifications in the middle.

Players cavity
Players distance
Cavity back
Game improvement
Distance
Etc

Personally I think it is what you learned the game with and what fits your eye.  For me it is minimum offset butter knife blades. That is what I hit. Some guys though my age have adapted to GI and SGI irons well. I agree with Mr Ping here in play what fits your game and looks and performs good for you

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I wouldn't worry to much about terminology. 

I have no idea about terminology in golf swings but I understand the mechanics by giving my own names to the mechanics. So while I have a great understanding of the swing, nobody else can understand what I am saying. 

Just figure out what works for you and then it doesn't really matter what it is called, or what you call it. As long as you have an understanding of what's happening, it doesn't matter what most people call it. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

8 hours ago, GB13 said:

I wouldn't worry to much about terminology. 

I have no idea about terminology in golf swings but I understand the mechanics by giving my own names to the mechanics. So while I have a great understanding of the swing, nobody else can understand what I am saying. 

Just figure out what works for you and then it doesn't really matter what it is called, or what you call it. As long as you have an understanding of what's happening, it doesn't matter what most people call it. 

You nailed it----- "I understand what I am a saying about my game and equipment" Don't know if anyone else does though

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

So what do you all think of Maltby Playability Factor (Rating) and how this process parses out irons into these categories?  I wonder if many of these terms weren't a result of this analysis? Many said the PE2's were butt ugly when they hit the market (an iron only its Mother could love), but they sure took fire and found their way into a lot of golf bags. I don't recall when I purchased them thinking "man these look huge".  I don't even recall what other irons I looked at at that time.

I was listening to one of the Dominion Energy Classic commentators a couple days ago talking about how club design/technology has really bunched up the fields more than ever.  Also how the near doubling of driver face area has made this part of the game so forgiving and that many of the iron designs do as well.  My recent switch from the GBB to the Razr-Fit driver has made a HUGE difference.  I have a ton more confidence of making good contact with the new driver - knowing that even off-center hits will likely find playable lies.  It would seem the same would hold true for the larger sized irons.  Seems everyone plays the big drivers, but that pattern doesn't hold in irons. 🤔  

6 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So what do you all think of Maltby Playability Factor (Rating) and how this process parses out irons into these categories?  I wonder if many of these terms weren't a result of this analysis? Many said the PE2's were butt ugly when they hit the market (an iron only its Mother could love), but they sure took fire and found their way into a lot of golf bags. I don't recall when I purchased them thinking "man these look huge".  I don't even recall what other irons I looked at at that time.

I was listening to one of the Dominion Energy Classic commentators a couple days ago talking about how club design/technology has really bunched up the fields more than ever.  Also how the near doubling of driver face area has made this part of the game so forgiving and that many of the iron designs do as well.  My recent switch from the GBB to the Razr-Fit driver has made a HUGE difference.  I have a ton more confidence of making good contact with the new driver - knowing that even off-center hits will likely find playable lies.  It would seem the same would hold true for the larger sized irons.  Seems everyone plays the big drivers, but that pattern doesn't hold in irons. 🤔  

I think that it's a helpful start. I also wouldn't put to much stock in them because data can be presented in a way that makes you believe something that isn't there. 

I think that you can generally tell what category an iron falls into, or if you don't know, ask the equipment junkies here, we will certainly know. Just be careful with MPF because while it is a good start, there are some misleading figures. 

Example: they have the MP 18 (blades) as game improvment and the MP18 SC (players cavity) as a classic blade. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I was listening to one of the Dominion Energy Classic commentators a couple days ago talking about how club design/technology has really bunched up the fields more than ever.  Also how the near doubling of driver face area has made this part of the game so forgiving and that many of the iron designs do as well.  My recent switch from the GBB to the Razr-Fit driver has made a HUGE difference.  I have a ton more confidence of making good contact with the new driver - knowing that even off-center hits will likely find playable lies.  It would seem the same would hold true for the larger sized irons.  Seems everyone plays the big drivers, but that pattern doesn't hold in irons.   

It's been discussed a few times on here, but generally I believe it's a joke and nothing more than a marketing tool disguised as science, trying to sell his own clubs

19 hours ago, jlukes said:

I honestly think the standard iron terminology of the past is all but extinct.

I think now you have true blades on one end super game improvement irons on the other end and then a bunch of grey-area classifications in the middle.

Players cavity
Players distance
Cavity back
Game improvement
Distance
Etc

The other one I particularly like is "muscle back" - like kids with the first name Jet, just sounds cool as hell.

... I think having zero concerns about shape and size and the only criteria being performance, is the best case scenario. That said, many better players that are good ball strikers have usually played enough kinds of irons and know what works best for their game. The smaller the head the easier to control if you hit the center consistently. But that is offset by the larger the head the more forgiving it is and about 99.9% of all those playing need some forgiveness in their irons. So most better players find a combination of head size and forgiveness in a mid size, mid forgiving iron, usually an iron like a Titleist AP2 or Cobra Forged Tour. And fwiw, I have never liked the name Players Iron. It certainly sounds like you need to move from a Game Improvement Iron to a Players Iron if you want to be considered a player. 

... If I could label irons it would be:

VF - very forgiving (SGI)

F - forgiving  (GI) 

MF - minimally forgiving (Players)  

NF - not forgiving (muscle back)

... This would take away the stigma of labels insinuating you are not a good player if you use SGI or even GI irons. There are plenty of good players that need trajectory help, especially those with a slower swing speed. I think it would also make some mid/high index players think twice about wanting to play a Minimally Forgiving iron if it does not provide the kind of performance they need or want. I think the silliest thing I have read on many forums is playing a players iron or worse a MB will teach you to be a better ball striker. I have rarely been paired up with a golfer I thought should be playing a more demanding iron, including a DI player using G400's. But I have been paired up with too many golfers to count that were using irons the did not give them enough forgiveness for their swings and ball striking ability. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... MP64's are much closer to MB's than CB's. I just sold my MP63's and they are definitely MB's imo. 

I’ve used both ends of the spectrum at some point or another. The Wilson staff fat shaft 2 irons are still some of the best irons I’ve ever hit but they definitely aren’t a blade or anything remotely close. At the same time I loved the Nike victory red set and those had about as much heft as a French runway model. Now I’ve settled into a middle ground of sorts with my Hogans and don’t see them getting changed anytime soon.

Definitely agree it comes down to liking what’s in your hands...

A few of the fellas on here probably know I’m not big on gimmick clubs and “ultra super game improvement gear” but it all boils down to getting the ball in the hole not how you get it there so if some of these help a fella enjoy the game more then I’ll look the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

1 hour ago, EthanSterlingPrice said:

A few of the fellas on here probably know I’m not big on gimmick clubs and “ultra super game improvement gear” but it all boils down to getting the ball in the hole not how you get it there so if some of these help a fella enjoy the game more then I’ll look the other way.

... I taught guys that never played another sport and picked up golf late in life. Unfortunately most had already engrained bad habits and for most (not all) I always felt my job was to help them hit better shots, not revamp their swings. Many cast the clubhead and released the angle long before contact and had poor hand eye coordination. These are guys that dreamed of breaking 100 some day and loved the game as much as anyone that plays. So big headed, heavy sole weighted irons were a must for their games, the more "help" the better. 

I started a forest fire this summer by citing a fitter survey that said two thirds of the players they fit needed more help in their irons.

Bottom line, if your eye can stand it, take the help. I took it with the Eye 2 and have been taking it ever since. My wedges have very little forgiveness, after that, I’m all in for it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... I taught guys that never played another sport and picked up golf late in life. Unfortunately most had already engrained bad habits and for most (not all) I always felt my job was to help them hit better shots, not revamp their swings. Many cast the clubhead and released the angle long before contact and had poor hand eye coordination. These are guys that dreamed of breaking 100 some day and loved the game as much as anyone that plays. So big headed, heavy sole weighted irons were a must for their games, the more "help" the better. 

Exactly

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 3 weeks later...

There are many aspect to be focus before going to use iron. I remember when i started then i have no one to guide me properly. Then after researching a lot i knew which have to be chosen according to my ability. Here is one tip you can find help full.

• 2 months later...

Most blind testing I do with clubs. Players hit the ball under a shroud, the club head goes under it while the player can not see the club head. They then make the swing with not knowing which club. Most cant hit squat with MB aka Blades and love GI heads. I'd say over 60% hit better with lower CG and weighted clubs

2 terms I hear the most,

term #1.)Those clubs sucked

Term #2.) Hey...I like these

There my 2cents on club term.. 

Archived