TESTERS WANTED! ×

SmartWatch´s and smartbands

Hi,

I was wandering if you guys use smartwatch or smartband to see the distances or do you guys prefer to pull out the phone or a rangefinder? I´m interested in the samsung gear fit 2 but i don´t know if it works with a golf app.

I use both a LRF and my phone app. On the latter I've used a number of them including Golflogic 18 Biridies and Yamatrack (which a dedicated version of iGolf for our course. For the phone app I've settled on the Yamatrack version of iGolf.

Regardless of the apps they only give general info on front, middle, back which is where the LRF comes into use. Obviously the LRF will give you precise distance to the pin. The LRF I use is the NX7 Pro.

I play with guys that use different approaches such as smart bands only, or a combination of the two. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've been using my garmin vivoactive watch to see my distances. Everytime I try to track yardages or pull my phone out for distances with the app on my phone I get too caught up and start to play poorly. For club tracking I should really get arccoss or something that I don't need to tap my club to my phone. But for my distance to the hole and stuff I like to use my Garmin.

If you poke around enough here you'll probably run into a few threads on this subject.

That said, I've used them all. I have several apps on my phone, I have a laser rangefinder, and I have a Garmin Approach S20 on my wrist.

I grew frustrated with the phone app, because it takes too long to load up on every shot, and it sucks the life out of your phone battery.

The laser was nice, but you still have to pull it out and shoot it at the target, which takes some time. Factor in that the one I bought for $125 from mggolf.com has already lost it's ability to display after a couple of years. I did wear that sucker out though, but again, depending on how you store it, you have to pull it out every time you need to shoot it, and that takes time. I used to wear mine on my belt, and just pull it out when needed. Was pretty happy with it until the display went out. Now it's more or less a paperweight.

My wife bought me the Garmin Approach S20 last Christmas and I absolutely love this thing. It's always on on my wrist, and as such I don't have to worry about it sucking the life out of my battery. I don't have to pause to get distance as it's constantly updated while I play. I can even change the pin location to wherever it is on the green, and the distance is always 100% spot on. I can track my score on my Garmin, including GIR, FIR, penalty strokes and shot and club distance. When I am done with my round I instantly know my score, including what I shot on the front nine, and back nine, as well as the total time of the round. You can synch your results to your phone through the Garmin Connect app, and then you can review every hole and every shot you made, as the Garmin instinctively knows when you hit a shot.

Outside of just tracking my golf game, the Garmin can also be linked to your smartphone and you can have it display notifications from your phone, such as phone calls text and email messages. Pretty much anything that pops up on my phone also displays on my Garmin. Not a big deal you say? I am at lunch with someone, and my phone vibrates. I don't have to pull out the phone to see what it is, as the Garmin will tell me what it is without me disrupting my lunch with whomever. EXTREMELY valuable tool to have on your wrist.

Ther Garmin also tracks your steps, mileage walked, and displays the sunrise and sunset for the day, which is handy for us golfers so we know when the golf day starts, and on those twilight rounds how much time we have left to finish our round in.

Hope this helps.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

If you poke around enough here you'll probably run into a few threads on this subject.

That said, I've used them all. I have several apps on my phone, I have a laser rangefinder, and I have a Garmin Approach S20 on my wrist.

I grew frustrated with the phone app, because it takes too long to load up on every shot, and it sucks the life out of your phone battery.

The laser was nice, but you still have to pull it out and shoot it at the target, which takes some time. Factor in that the one I bought for $125 from mggolf.com has already lost it's ability to display after a couple of years. I did wear that sucker out though, but again, depending on how you store it, you have to pull it out every time you need to shoot it, and that takes time. I used to wear mine on my belt, and just pull it out when needed. Was pretty happy with it until the display went out. Now it's more or less a paperweight.

My wife bought me the Garmin Approach S20 last Christmas and I absolutely love this thing. It's always on on my wrist, and as such I don't have to worry about it sucking the life out of my battery. I don't have to pause to get distance as it's constantly updated while I play. I can even change the pin location to wherever it is on the green, and the distance is always 100% spot on. I can track my score on my Garmin, including GIR, FIR, penalty strokes and shot and club distance. When I am done with my round I instantly know my score, including what I shot on the front nine, and back nine, as well as the total time of the round. You can synch your results to your phone through the Garmin Connect app, and then you can review every hole and every shot you made, as the Garmin instinctively knows when you hit a shot.

Outside of just tracking my golf game, the Garmin can also be linked to your smartphone and you can have it display notifications from your phone, such as phone calls text and email messages. Pretty much anything that pops up on my phone also displays on my Garmin. Not a big deal you say? I am at lunch with someone, and my phone vibrates. I don't have to pull out the phone to see what it is, as the Garmin will tell me what it is without me disrupting my lunch with whomever. EXTREMELY valuable tool to have on your wrist.

Ther Garmin also tracks your steps, mileage walked, and displays the sunrise and sunset for the day, which is handy for us golfers so we know when the golf day starts, and on those twilight rounds how much time we have left to finish our round in.

Hope this helps.
Sold.
My father in law also has one of those. I,m considering the gear fit because it's half the price, I just don't know if it is compatible with any app like hole 19 or sonething

Enviado do meu WAS-LX1A através do Tapatalk

Hi,

I use a garmin aproach X40 - It works fast on the course, so I have no delays in my game. Also the shots a tracked auomatically and i can analyse the distance and the score at home.

On the DR i use a LRF for distance control.

on a crowdfunding platform i orderer "golfication x". with this app  additionally it should be possible to analyze my swing on the course too. Let me surprise you if that really works. The parts should come by the end of the year.

5 hours ago, pit2405 said:

Hi,

I use a garmin aproach X40 - It works fast on the course, so I have no delays in my game. Also the shots a tracked auomatically and i can analyse the distance and the score at home.

on a crowdfunding platform i orderer "golfication x". with this app  additionally it should be possible to analyze my swing on the course too. Let me surprise you if that really works. The parts should come by the end of the year.

I took a look at golfication X. It seems to good to be true. How much was it with shipping an all?

14 hours ago, Nmrfgomes said:

I took a look at golfication X. It seems to good to be true. How much was it with shipping an all?

I have pre-ordered for 199,00 USD - I did not get it so far, so I can not say anything about the performance and quality (should be shipped in early nov.)

• 1 month later...

So following up on this subject, i´m now a owner of a Samsung gear S3 smartwatch. built-in GPS and all. I installed the Hole 19 app in both the phone and the smartwatch and took them for a spin. Accurate enough for me and fast updating. Premium users of the app have extras like auto shot counting and smart caddie but since i´m in the free range kind of user i just get distance and the option to include total shots per hole. Still one problem, while i wait for others to play the app on the phone closes and loses connection with the watch so i have to restart the app again each shot i wan´t to take.

Anyone with a similar issue?

The watch comes with it´s other app but it only works free for 3 rounds.

I´m using Android so if you know how to solve this ( and i tried google ) please let me know.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:14 AM, pit2405 said:

Hi,

I read about the shot tracking on the watch. How exactly does that work? Does it record just when a shot is taken or from where, with which club etc.? I guess my question is, does it know I went Driver-5iron-56 on hole 1, or does it just know I hit 3 shots and I have to input that manually?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

So following up on this subject, i´m now a owner of a Samsung gear S3 smartwatch. built-in GPS and all. I installed the Hole 19 app in both the phone and the smartwatch and took them for a spin. Accurate enough for me and fast updating. Premium users of the app have extras like auto shot counting and smart caddie but since i´m in the free range kind of user i just get distance and the option to include total shots per hole. Still one problem, while i wait for others to play the app on the phone closes and loses connection with the watch so i have to restart the app again each shot i wan´t to take.
  Anyone with a similar issue?
  The watch comes with it´s other app but it only works free for 3 rounds.
I´m using Android so if you know how to solve this ( and i tried google ) please let me know.
You might look into an app that doesn't allow your phone screen to go off. I use a marine chart gps program on my tablet when we're out on the boat, and I have an app that overrides my screen off settings. (I can't remember which app for sure.)

Good luck with the S3. I bought a gear fit 2 pro last January, and have had it replaced under warranty 3 times. It's great when it works....

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

3 hours ago, 00sportsman said:

You might look into an app that doesn't allow your phone screen to go off. I use a marine chart gps program on my tablet when we're out on the boat, and I have an app that overrides my screen off settings. (I can't remember which app for sure.)

Good luck with the S3. I bought a gear fit 2 pro last January, and have had it replaced under warranty 3 times. It's great when it works....

Not sure on the Android, however, on the iPhone you can go into display settings and adjust the screen time. When I'm using the GPS app on course, I set the display to "never" (meaning it doesn't turn off unless I do it manually). Then of course I have to remember to return it to my normal setting which is 3 min otherwise I'll kill my battery. . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Not sure on the Android, however, on the iPhone you can go into display settings and adjust the screen time. When I'm using the GPS app on course, I set the display to "never" (meaning it doesn't turn off unless I do it manually). Then of course I have to remember to return it to my normal setting which is 3 min otherwise I'll kill my battery. . 
I hadn't checked on my phone (android), but it does have a "never" setting. My Samsung tablet didn't.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Archived