MGS Forum Focus Group: What would YOU like to see change?

Our Sponsors

My main suggestion has been covered by others, finding reviews would be so much easier if they were broken down into club types and year.

Year, equipment type (driver, irons, wedges, putters, balls, everything else.)

We had so many reviews this year it was hard to keep track.

Course reviews by country and region would be great, but would need a reasonably standard format

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:cobra-small: F8 4 Hybrid
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then stage 2's need to change.  Very little discussion is generated by the actual reviews.  There's really no point in saving anything for the stage 2 - I believe it should be discussed openly with th

1. Hitting mats. I’m going to put one in the garage at the new house in front of my net, so I need some reviewed. Big square ones.   2. Grips. I need some tested for tackiness, sweat absorption.   3.

Since it's been mentioned several times. I'll chime in on the timelines of the stages. Trust me we as MODs would love to put out a definitive timeline of stages. Meaning if you are selected on Ju

Posted Images

Some great suggestions here and I echo most comments.

As MGS's reason for being is about independent testing with no marketing hype, an organised testing thread based on year/month/manufacturer and equipment type would help people zero in on their current interest. If it's easier to find they will come back everytime to see what 'normal' golfers really think of a product as opposed to just googling for reviews and finding paid for advertising or magazine reviews that never tell the real story but just regurgitate the OEM's marketing guff in their own speak.

I had an idea about testing, particularly for the high ticket items but not sure it would go down very well, plus I've not really thought through the pro's and con's yet, so here goes...

When testers are chosen for an expensive driver or more expensive set of the latest irons would it be an idea to have the testers pay MGS a refundable commitment pledge of say $50. This would be returned to the individual after stage 2's are completed satisfactorily. Like I say I've not thought it through and it might cause some internal issues as there is money involved and we all know the route of evil lives there.

Next, would it be prudent for any testers to be 'given' an MGS headcover/putter cover/pitch repairer or similar (1 item) which states 'MGS TESTER', gives bragging rights, increases MGS profile, it's a badge of honour and a talking point with fellow players and might overall increase site traffic and forum numbers. Again it would only be provided after completion of stage 2's.

Just a thought.

• Like 4

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Next, would it be prudent for any testers to be 'given' an MGS headcover/putter cover/pitch repairer or similar (1 item) which states 'MGS TESTER', gives bragging rights, increases MGS profile, it's a badge of honour and a talking point with fellow players and might overall increase site traffic and forum numbers. Again it would only be provided after completion of stage 2's.

I like this idea!

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

When testers are chosen for an expensive driver or more expensive set of the latest irons would it be an idea to have the testers pay MGS a refundable commitment pledge of say $50. This would be returned to the individual after stage 2's are completed satisfactorily. Like I say I've not thought it through and it might cause some internal issues as there is money involved and we all know the route of evil lives there.

I haven't really noticed any issues that may require a deposit - I think they choose testers carefully which limits the risk of of people taking the goods and not following through. I know there have been issues in the past, but I don't think $50 will necessarily dissuade someone from being shady, especially when we are talking about over $2000 worth of stuff for full bag tests. Just my opinion, of course.

I love the second point - very cool idea. It may not be feasible given the number of testers over the course of the year, but it is a great idea.

By the way, you misspelled honor. 🤣

EDIT: I agree with all those who have posted that a little different organization of the review threads might be helpful. There was so much testing this year that at times it was difficult to follow, so I tended to follow the reviews I was most interested in rather than all of them. I would think if a person is interested in drivers, they should be able to find all the driver reviews easily, in one place.

I don't recall who brought it up (perhaps a few), but regarding some format changes in stage1/stage 2 to increase interest, I'm not really sure much change is needed, maybe just some fine-tuning. I really like the stage 1's since it gives us a chance to get to "know" our online friends better and I tend to think the product itself is really what is going to provide most of the traction for a review.

• Like 6

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Just a thought.

I like the 'MGS Tester' headcover or bag tag (after stage 2) that creates visibility and get other playing partners to ask questions. Not so much the 50. 'deposit'  I think in the scheme of things people that won't participate in the stages it won't matter. 

• Like 4

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

51 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I like the 'MGS Tester' headcover or bag tag (after stage 2) that creates visibility and get other playing partners to ask questions. Not so much the 50. 'deposit'  I think in the scheme of things people that won't participate in the stages it won't matter. 

Tony I agree plus the money thing can get real finicky. I love the head cover idea even if it's just available for a tester to buy.

• Like 5

Of course, we'd need different "MGS Tester" headcovers depending on what we tested. Those who tested woods and putters are already set, but I can't wait to get a sweet set of MGS neoprene headcovers on my G700 irons :)

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

I could see this headcover idea gaining a lot of traction!

I know I'd love one... Even if it was for my driver despite testing irons. Id probably get a patch made up for "2018 Ping i210"

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

Mine seems simple. I read in my phone 99.9% of the time. When I read an article in the blog section at the end it say “read full article.” sometimes therses to be more, sometimes not. Can we get rid of this?
Good luck with the upcoming wedge reviews and plans I learned about during my visit to LabX. You guys were awesome and way too generous. The only thing missing, r/t location, was Tony. It was like walking into a movie/tv show and meeting all the characters you have seen and read so many times

• Like 3

What about a real travel section? I really love the thread about where spy’s eat. I am also writing up a travelogue about the trip to Bethpage that also brought me to the Lab. It would be cool if there were a Travel Review and planning/ implementing specific space for those traveling

• Like 1
Mine seems simple. I read in my phone 99.9% of the time. When I read an article in the blog section at the end it say “read full article.” sometimes therses to be more, sometimes not. Can we get rid of this?
Good luck with the upcoming wedge reviews and plans I learned about during my visit to LabX. You guys were awesome and way too generous. The only thing missing, r/t location, was Tony. It was like walking into a movie/tv show and meeting all the characters you have seen and read so many times

Also, sorry I told you guys my handle was “kingotheworldma”. Oops. That was my handle on that other place where everyone can hit a PW 180 and a driver a cool mile.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Some great suggestions here and I echo most comments.

As MGS's reason for being is about independent testing with no marketing hype, an organised testing thread based on year/month/manufacturer and equipment type would help people zero in on their current interest. If it's easier to find they will come back everytime to see what 'normal' golfers really think of a product as opposed to just googling for reviews and finding paid for advertising or magazine reviews that never tell the real story but just regurgitate the OEM's marketing guff in their own speak.

I had an idea about testing, particularly for the high ticket items but not sure it would go down very well, plus I've not really thought through the pro's and con's yet, so here goes...

Just a thought.

Good idea on the headcovers for testers.

As others have said, overall the number of people who take the product and don't fulfill the review obligations are very very rare.  So a deposit probably isn't needed!  We're lucky to have such quality people as members...for many reasons. 

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 hour ago, kingcscott said:

Also, sorry I told you guys my handle was “kingotheworldma”. Oops. That was my handle on that other place where everyone can hit a PW 180 and a driver a cool mile.

shouldnt it have been TopOfTheWorldMa if you are referring to Jimmy Cagney 

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

So many great ideas!

The two that I haven’t seen that could be considered are:

The return of the Member of the Month or MoM. I thought that was a really fun award - loved when I won it and enjoyed the other winners also.

Also we had some features about tour players. I’d love to see more of those particularly about the equipment that they are gaming and why. It would be very interesting to see a couple of LPGA players featured as well. Again including the equipment they use and why.

• Like 7

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Just popped in my head... how bout some hickory club reviews? Louisville or Tad Moore?

Something different that you won’t find anywhere else.

I would love to see a direct to consumer golf ball test compared to a baseline top brand golf ball (Pro V1). With so many brands and options out there, which would perform best for my game? I never played a Snell or vice or cut golf ball until I finally bought a dozen Snell on Amazon. They perform very similar to the TP5X in my opinion so that got me wondering about other brands out there. I know that would be a tedious test but I would fly to Newport News and donate my time for this test! 10,000 swings? You got it.

Also for product reviews, something simple to add to help someone reading is to add handicap/skill level at the beginning of the review for each stage. I'll read a stage two on something and then realize this guy isn't in the same boat as me skill wise. I'd rather focus on someone with a similar playing level to me.

• Like 2
  • :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :adams-small: Pro DHy 18* w/ Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • :ping-small: Vault Arna w/ KBS CT Tour
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 

We don't seem to have very many ladies participating - perhaps a section or forum topic that would appeal to them? 

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

We don't seem to have very many ladies participating - perhaps a section or forum topic that would appeal to them? 

Yeah, that is not just the case here but on the other two big Fourms as well.  I was a member of both them for several years and still pop into both and I can count on one hand the number of active females on both sites combined. 

I think it was discussed on one of them and one female said among her friends, they just didn't' get talking on the internet to strangers, regardless if it was golf, shopping, cooking, kids...etc.   that said they tend to flock to Facebook.  I guess because there they are keeping up with relatives and friends, versus arranging to travel out of town to play golf for two or three days with guy/ladies you've never met.  

So all that said, i don't think there are any particular thread topics that would draw them to the site.  But if Im wrong and one of them wants to speak up, we'd love to hear it.  We had only one active woman member early in the year that was part of the Snell test, but after that she kinda disappeared.  

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

17 minutes ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Yeah, that is not just the case here but on the other two big Fourms as well.  I was a member of both them for several years and still pop into both and I can count on one hand the number of active females on both sites combined. 

I think it was discussed on one of them and one female said among her friends, they just didn't' get talking on the internet to strangers, regardless if it was golf, shopping, cooking, kids...etc.   that said they tend to flock to Facebook.  I guess because there they are keeping up with relatives and friends, versus arranging to travel out of town to play golf for two or three days with guy/ladies you've never met.  

So all that said, i don't think there are any particular thread topics that would draw them to the site.  But if Im wrong and one of them wants to speak up, we'd love to hear it.  We had only one active woman member early in the year that was part of the Snell test, but after that she kinda disappeared.  

Probably true.  I keep my wife up to speed on threads that I think she might be interested in (she knows some of you by name!).  She is mostly glued to Facebook.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”