MGS Forum Focus Group: What would YOU like to see change?

Our Sponsors

2 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I would love to see a direct to consumer golf ball test compared to a baseline top brand golf ball (Pro V1). With so many brands and options out there, which would perform best for my game? I never played a Snell or vice or cut golf ball until I finally bought a dozen Snell on Amazon. They perform very similar to the TP5X in my opinion so that got me wondering about other brands out there. I know that would be a tedious test but I would fly to Newport News and donate my time for this test! 10,000 swings? You got it.

Also for product reviews, something simple to add to help someone reading is to add handicap/skill level at the beginning of the review for each stage. I'll read a stage two on something and then realize this guy isn't in the same boat as me skill wise. I'd rather focus on someone with a similar playing level to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

MGS  did one back in 2015, TX. The link to it is here

However, I do agree that an update is probably in the offering. Obviously Oncore is better than it was, Vice and Cut weren't involved , and other brands may want in. This is a good shout.

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then stage 2's need to change.  Very little discussion is generated by the actual reviews.  There's really no point in saving anything for the stage 2 - I believe it should be discussed openly with th

1. Hitting mats. I’m going to put one in the garage at the new house in front of my net, so I need some reviewed. Big square ones.   2. Grips. I need some tested for tackiness, sweat absorption.   3.

Since it's been mentioned several times. I'll chime in on the timelines of the stages. Trust me we as MODs would love to put out a definitive timeline of stages. Meaning if you are selected on Ju

Posted Images

MGS  did one back in 2015, TX. The link to it is here
However, I do agree that an update is probably in the offering. Obviously Oncore is better than it was, Vice and Cut weren't involved , and other brands may want in. This is a good shout.

I know at the lab there is/has been some ball testing being performed beyond the Snell/titleist comparison. Some of the balls I have never heard of. Can’t tell you what they are because I haven’t participate in those tests.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Why is "Tour Chatter" under "Equipment"?

Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
27 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Why is "Tour Chatter" under "Equipment"?

Makes no sense to me.

Agreed. My hunch is that, as a subforum, it began as a place to discuss "Tour only" or pre-release equipment, in the spirit of the "Spy" origins of this site. But as it stands now, as a place just to talk about all things Tour related, it should be moved, probably under "The 19th Hole."

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Yeah, that is not just the case here but on the other two big Fourms as well.  I was a member of both them for several years and still pop into both and I can count on one hand the number of active females on both sites combined. 

I think it was discussed on one of them and one female said among her friends, they just didn't' get talking on the internet to strangers, regardless if it was golf, shopping, cooking, kids...etc.   that said they tend to flock to Facebook.  I guess because there they are keeping up with relatives and friends, versus arranging to travel out of town to play golf for two or three days with guy/ladies you've never met.  

So all that said, i don't think there are any particular thread topics that would draw them to the site.  But if Im wrong and one of them wants to speak up, we'd love to hear it.  We had only one active woman member early in the year that was part of the Snell test, but after that she kinda disappeared.  

How about a collaboration with 'Foregals.com'

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Probably true.  I keep my wife up to speed on threads that I think she might be interested in (she knows some of you by name!).  She is mostly glued to Facebook.

Yep. Occasionaly mine will say to me, ask your friends on the "spy site" what they think about.....insert any random topic we may be discussing.

So that said...what do you guys think about the new show A Million Little Things

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing
  • Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I think a shoe test would be interesting. Is the Foot Joy DNA BOA shoe worth $200?? Or is a $50 shoe going to give you the same results? Is the expensive shoe going to outlast the cheap one?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

CobraConnectChallenge3

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Yep. Occasionaly mine will say to me, ask your friends on the "spy site" what they think about.....insert any random topic we may be discussing.

So that said...what do you guys think about the new show A Million Little Things emoji41.png

That is my wife's favorite new show.

• Like 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

That is my wife's favorite new show.

I have to admit. I've enjoyed it as well. They've done a good job developing the characters.

13 hours ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

So that said...what do you guys think about the new show A Million Little Things emoji41.png

looks interesting, just viewed the trailer- not airing in the UK though.....😒

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

14 hours ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Having a son that committed suicide, I'll simply say that the reactions and behavior of that dude's best friend post-death is mostly BS.  I didn't eat for 3 days after he died, and we didn't just carry on with our lives like nothing had happened right after it happened.  Still, the wife keeps watching it, mostly by default, because 99.9% of everything else they pass for "entertainment" on network TV is total excrement and not worth my time.

God Friended Me is another show that has kept my interest.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I dislike the show for 2 reasons:

1) It's depressing
2) It has NOTHING to do with the forum improvement focus group. Let's get back on track please

• Like 6

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

52 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I dislike the show for 2 reasons:

1) It's depressing
2) It has NOTHING to do with the forum improvement focus group. Let's get back on track please

Good call Stud - thx. 

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 10/21/2018 at 5:25 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Without some big cash flow, I doubt MGS will be able to sponsor official course reviews like this. If it pleases the court, I could put together a standard review template for unofficial course reviews. These would be posted into a master review thread like we have for golf balls. Folks could review their home course or other courses as they travel to share the goodness with the rest of us.

Thanks to everyone that has submitted input thus far. There's definitely some great stuff in here. Keep it coming!

This would be great!

It certainly doesn't need to be official and can be just a paragraph or two but if I'm travelling somewhere or looking for somewhere new to play it'd be neat to be able to read a review of a local course.  Of course this would just be someone's opinion but, nevertheless, it could be useful.

I see a lot of great postings in the "pics" forum and it would be swell if, along with the pics, someone would say something about the course - completely voluntary of course...

• Like 3

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w 
:callaway-small:  SuperHybrid 20
:titelist-small:  818H1 23
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:bettinardi-small:  SS38 Armlock 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

On 10/20/2018 at 5:03 PM, cksurfdude said:

Second this ^

There's sooooooo much great info within the member review main thread, but it kinda gets lost after a while.....

Maybe one idea is some sort of hierarchy, for example under Member Reviews then break out by, eg., club type and then possibly by target player then by year ..
emoji654.png Drivers / Woods / etc. ...
emoji654.png Player / GI / SGI ...
emoji654.png 2018 / 2017 / etc. ...

This... so much this.... sometimes I'd like to see drivers tested in 2016 but outside of the search function it becomes a laborious task to find it... and there is a lot of time/effort/content put into the reviews so it'd be great to have them so they can be found easily.

StrokerAce

I'll second the regional course review being a great idea. Would it be possible to have an associated map of reviewed courses? A way to visualize where you are going vs multiple reviewed courses would be helpful vs scrolling through threads looking up town names you don't recognize. 

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

so last year there was a thread titled something like "what would you like to see tested this year?" and there were a ton of great replies and suggestions but I have no idea how many were chosen - if any.... it's like it was a nice thread post that went into the ether.  Would have been great to lock the thread, consolidate the suggestions, identify those that are definites, maybe, no... or something like that.

in regards to reviews - I've done a few and the "stages" can be long.... some of them really long.... if you're the person selected then of course you'll want to provide as much valuable content as possible for the person reading it.  it is an honor to be selected and you definitely want to reciprocate, but it can certainly a TEST to make it to the end.  To dovetail onto @jlukes suggestion it would be good if we could break the review/comments/content up into smaller digestible parts instead of 2 big blog posts.  Might encourage more Q&A from members and make it easier for the tester.

I'm not sure how much control you guys have over the site itself..looks like you use forum software, but there are certainly opportunities for organization if that is a possibility. Most of us have used computers for many years and are used to a hierarchical grouping of things.

If I recall one of the profile demographics is local region or something like that.  It would be nice if there was some sort of list or grouping of members by region.  Of course one could opt out if they want but if you are looking for someone in your local area to play a round with this could be helpful.

Love the idea by @PlaidJacket for testing non-mainstream OEM's.  I realize it might be tough to get equipment from them but this gets right to the heart of the MGS mission - look beyond the brand name and get to the truth - is this good or not.

Golf bag testing would be nice.

There's a lot of content on the site and it seems that the search function has been improved but maybe a reminder to use search before posting a new topic.  (note-I'm probably guilty of that but I always do a search first...it's just that the search results haven't been the greatest)

Maybe a 'badge' on your signature - similar to MGS DONOR - if you have been a product tester.

• Like 2

StrokerAce

Loving the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming.

I'll definitely work on some reorganization, especially with official forum member review threads.  I was thinking of just organizing by year.  I want to avoid a million sub threads and with 20-30 official tests each year it shouldn't be too hard to browse through them.

Also you guys are aware we have a thing called Most Wanted in the blog right?  Both shoes and bags were tested this year :)

• Like 7

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

13 minutes ago, strokerAce said:

so last year there was a thread titled something like "what would you like to see tested this year?" and there were a ton of great replies and suggestions but I have no idea how many were chosen - if any.... it's like it was a nice thread post that went into the ether.  Would have been great to lock the thread, consolidate the suggestions, identify those that are definites, maybe, no... or something like that.

in regards to reviews - I've done a few and the "stages" can be long.... some of them really long.... if you're the person selected then of course you'll want to provide as much valuable content as possible for the person reading it.  it is an honor to be selected and you definitely want to reciprocate, but it can certainly a TEST to make it to the end.  To dovetail onto @jlukes suggestion it would be good if we could break the review/comments/content up into smaller digestible parts instead of 2 big blog posts.  Might encourage more Q&A from members and make it easier for the tester.

I'm not sure how much control you guys have over the site itself..looks like you use forum software, but there are certainly opportunities for organization if that is a possibility. Most of us have used computers for many years and are used to a hierarchical grouping of things.

If I recall one of the profile demographics is local region or something like that.  It would be nice if there was some sort of list or grouping of members by region.  Of course one could opt out if they want but if you are looking for someone in your local area to play a round with this could be helpful.

Love the idea by @PlaidJacket for testing non-mainstream OEM's.  I realize it might be tough to get equipment from them but this gets right to the heart of the MGS mission - look beyond the brand name and get to the truth - is this good or not.

Golf bag testing would be nice.

There's a lot of content on the site and it seems that the search function has been improved but maybe a reminder to use search before posting a new topic.  (note-I'm probably guilty of that but I always do a search first...it's just that the search results haven't been the greatest)

Maybe a 'badge' on your signature - similar to MGS DONOR - if you have been a product tester.

The highlighted text is a GENIUS idea...well at least in my mind for what that matters! 

As for your very first point on the what would you like to test.  I'm 99% certain you're speaking about a thread Studque started before he became Golfspy_Enrique as just a conversation starter.  But that said, it's a worthy suggestion to go back to that and see how the testings all fared out.    We don't have all the control over OEM testings,  the owners generally reach out to each OEM to see what if anything would like to partake in testings, and usually just goes from there.  We can offer or suggest certain models clubs, but it isn't always achievable. 

Good suggestion on the Search Reminder, maybe we should all have the disclaimer  "have you searched fist?" in our signatures...maybe then it would get driven home...ha

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, strokerAce said:

I think the Bridgestone wedge review this year was conducted a little like this. All questions were answered throughout and stage 2 was a summation of all the thoughts throughout the thread. I think more people were engaged in this review and it was more riveting than two blog posts. 

• Like 4

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock