TESTERS WANTED! ×

Has MGS been reformatted?

BIG STU
Message added by STUDque

This thread is being used to update the forum on new changes as they go live. The following message is the first one in this series if you want to jump past the troubleshooting piece of the thread:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/25997-has-mgs-been-reformatted/?do=findComment&comment=483224

I'm really liking the reorganisation of things so far. It certainly makes navigating around the forum much easier. 

Great job so far Stud, I imagine you've got more in store for us.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, jlukes said:

@GolfSpy STUDque I might be missing it, but is there a way to save multiple "streams" and then switch between them?  I can only find the option to rename, remove, or set as default.

I'm think this is what @Kanoito walked through in his detailed tutorial many pages ago.  The short of it is, once you start editing any of the existing streams, you get little bar that pops up giving you the option to "Save as New Stream" that'll show for your view only.

Streams.png

Now, if there's enough demand, I can create or edit a default stream.  Just need to know what everyone wants.  I basically only use Recent Content but I recognize everyone views the forum a different way.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I'm think this is what @Kanoito walked through in his detailed tutorial many pages ago.  The short of it is, once you start editing any of the existing streams, you get little bar that pops up giving you the option to "Save as New Stream" that'll show for your view only.

Streams.png

Now, if there's enough demand, I can create or edit a default stream.  Just need to know what everyone wants.  I basically only use Recent Content but I recognize everyone views the forum a different way.

I've saved a new stream, but I don't see any options afterwards to switch between streams

You are right, it seems like you can only save 1 stream at a time.

31 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I've saved a new stream, but I don't see any options afterwards to switch between streams

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I see that dots have been substituted for our category "names" except for those under 1,000 posts. Those under 1,000 still have names like "Top Secret Agent', etc.  Never quite understood the "names". 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

11 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I see that dots have been substituted for our category "names" except for those under 1,000 posts. Those under 1,000 still have names like "Top Secret Agent', etc.  Never quite understood the "names". 

Don't understand the dots either.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Each dot is 1,000 posts until you get to over 10,000...then there's not enough room by the looks of it.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

50 minutes ago, MattF said:

Each dot is 1,000 posts until you get to over 10,000...then there's not enough room by the looks of it.

Yup I had figured out the dots - it was the names >1,000 that i was wondering about. Maybe after 10,000 instead of dots Stud will create a Superuser Tag for those forum members. 😁 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

21 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

The dots are boring to me. I always thought the names were fun and creative. oh well.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

The dots are boring to me. I always thought the names were fun and creative. oh well.

Ditto. I loved my Grand Master tag, it meant something. The dots....well...don't imho

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

1 hour ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Ditto. I loved my Grand Master tag, it meant something. The dots....well...don't imho

I like the Grand Master name - it fits a lot better than Plano or Huntington.......

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The original names were setup up when the forum was founded.  They were based off the cities where major OEM's were headquartered.  Once you hit 1000 you got a name and every thousand posts more earned the next name.  

I also like the names over the dots though, I always thought it was kinda cool.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

OK this change is finally live.  The subforum for product reviews are hereby split into:

• Official Forum Member Reviews
  • Unofficial Forum Member Product Reviews
  • Testing Applications

I also went ahead and moved official forum tests dating back to 2016 over to the official sub-forum which really opened up the unofficial space.  There's some good stuff in there so you should check out some of the volunteer work the great forum members have done.  Basic ROE will be that the official tests of THIS calendar year will be stickied and the rest will float around.  Once the 2019 season gets going, I'll unstick all the 2018 posts.  

There have been some requests to split these forums down by year and even by club type.  Going to keep it simple for now and see how it goes.  Don't want to create too much navigation for members looking for material.  An easy way YOU can help with the organization is by using the tag feature when creating an unofficial post.  One of the main functions of tags is to help to sort material.  This idea will stay on the list but just wanted to let you all know that it wasn't ignored.

I know it's not Thursday, but it's definitely worth going back and looking at past official forum tests.  Now that they're all in once place, it's a great opportunity to browse some of the quality work our members have turned in over the recent years.  

Nice work stud! That'll make access to that testing a lot easier.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Looks good but what's the point of the equipment section now?.

There should be an official thread for every new release where people can discuss that item.

I don't think there should be an entire section dedicated dedicated to non official reviews. Those reveiews should simply be placed in the thread that for the clubs they are for.

This way, people coming to the forum can find all discussion about a specific club (outside of the official reviews) in one space.

Looks good but what's the point of the equipment section now?.There should be an official thread for every new release where people can discuss that item.

I don't think there should be an entire section dedicated dedicated to non official reviews. Those reveiews should simply be placed in the thread that for the clubs they are for.

This way, people coming to the forum can find all discussion about a specific club (outside of the official reviews) in one space.

Like I said before, the restructure is going to be a slow roll. We've got ideas we're kicking around for "The Equipment" that will go live when they're ready.

Conceptually, the equipment section is used for general chatter on/about the clubs whereas the unofficial reviews section will be for personal opinions once they've been taken out onto the course. It's a very fine line but I do believe there's a place for both. It's basically the difference between subjective and concrete opinions at the core.

Regarding official threads on each club release, I'm hesitant to make that many official MGS threads. Official threads take a little bit of the fun away from members trying to discover and share the hot scoops. It's like how journalists fight for "you heard it here first." I'm hoping the new structure will cut down on duplicate threads but it'll certainly never be perfect. Merging is only partially working right now so that'll help out as well once we get that magic wand back.

The difficult thing about putting all reviews and discussion into just one thread for each club is it's now easy to lose track of the discussion (like keeping up with 'random thread'). An outside person looking for reviews on the "X Driver" should be able to pop straight to the reviews section rather than sift through hundreds of posts looking for the one guy that bought, played with, and reviewed on post #256 then another that did it at #512. I'm all for consolidating reviews but not necessarily all discussion.

Okay, you do your thing then. I just know several people from other forums that wanted to join the MGS forums but told me they found it too hard to navigate, specifically when they were looking for threads on specific equipment.

I think you also have to take into consideration that most people find golf forums via search engines and right now MGS forum topics do not appear at the top of search results for equipment because the thread titles aren't controlled and discussions are fragmented. Official forum reviews show up near the top, but everything else is just lost in the wash.

I do find it difficult, especially on the desktop. I struggle with WRX sometimes as well. Thankfully Tapatalk and search help me get past my issues most of the time.

Okay, you do your thing then. I just know several people from other forums that wanted to join the MGS forums but told me they found it too hard to navigate, specifically when they were looking for threads on specific equipment.

I think you also have to take into consideration that most people find golf forums via search engines and right now MGS forum topics do not appear at the top of search results for equipment because the thread titles aren't controlled and discussions are fragmented. Official forum reviews show up near the top, but everything else is just lost in the wash.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Don't disagree with the points you guys are making at all. These are the driving factors to reorganizing. I found navigation to be difficult for a while as well.

It needs to be...

1) Easy to find what you're seeking

2) Easy to discover new/interesting content

The hope is that both of these will be accomplished once we're done. A fresh eyes, Johnny-off-the-street should be able to navigate your site unassisted if done correctly.

Regarding the Google searches.... I'm not saying this is always the case, but you're generally more likely to show up in results if you invest the money to get promoted. Google's algorithms are very good at finding the answer, but they're not totally impartial. Of course we'll always do what we can to be people's source for information but I believe that vision flows more through brand recognition and proven results than being the highest bidder.

I will say that for a week and a half or two, MGS wouldn't reload for me on Tapatalk at all. It was super frustrating. Finally it started working again, but now it shows a post from Nov. 30th everytime before it updates to a more current list of topics in the timeline. Maybe it's my phone. Maybe not. But WRX and other forums on Tapatalk updated during that time frame.

I know it's gotta be extremely tough to organize a forum. I give props to those that are in charge of it. Just trying to give some feedback and whatnot to those in charge.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

14 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

I will say that for a week and a half or two, MGS wouldn't reload for me on Tapatalk at all. It was super frustrating. Finally it started working again, but now it shows a post from Nov. 30th everytime before it updates to a more current list of topics in the timeline. Maybe it's my phone. Maybe not. But WRX and other forums on Tapatalk updated during that time frame.

I know it's gotta be extremely tough to organize a forum. I give props to those that are in charge of it. Just trying to give some feedback and whatnot to those in charge.

It's not just your phone, mine does the same, although 11/13 is the default date for me. I much prefer the desktop version for browsing/reading, I mostly just use my phone for quick checks of the notifications/subscribed content. I assume it's my age showing through.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

58 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

It's not just your phone, mine does the same, although 11/13 is the default date for me. I much prefer the desktop version for browsing/reading, I mostly just use my phone for quick checks of the notifications/subscribed content. I assume it's my age showing through.

Before the change to the new forum software - I actually preferred the iPad app. Now I've gone the other way and much prefer the new desktop version. In the MGS app on my iPad, I'll get duplicate posts (after I deleted them). Also I won't see some posts on the iPad that appear on the desktop version. FYI I'm using the dedicated MGS app on my iPad not the Tapatalk version. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

24 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Before the change to the new forum software - I actually preferred the iPad app. Now I've gone the other way and much prefer the new desktop version. In the MGS app on my iPad, I'll get duplicate posts (after I deleted them). Also I won't see some posts on the iPad that appear on the desktop version. FYI I'm using the dedicated MGS app on my iPad not the Tapatalk version. 

I tried the tapatalk version, too, but am using the dedicated app. I believe the MGS app is built on tapatalk, but since I don't participate in other forums, tapatalk seems to be a waste.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I know this has been discussed and if I have missed the resolution or even the decision that it would not be added then I apologize. In general I love the new format and enjoy the information that this forum provides.

That being said, I read using the "unread content" format. The forum thread list does not show the original date the thread was started and does not show the number of new postings. It does show the total number of postings - but not how many are new.

Both of these items would be very useful in determining if I want to read that thread or not. 

Thanks for all the work you do in providing this forum, I know how much is required and the effort it takes to make major changes.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

• 3 weeks later...

Just in time for the new year, we're ready to roll out the next change to the forum structure.  We strive to help create the best user experience possible for our members.  With the 2 new mods on board, we took a hard look at areas of relatively high usage and areas of relatively low usage.  Some areas were expanded and others were condensed with the primary goal in mind to spread the load.

The tricky thing about this one is that one change had a waterfall effect on other areas so the change is larger than originally intended.  This is the biggest one yet so it may take a little adjusting.  Rest assured that nothing is goneit's just been moved. See below for the summary:

The Equipment

• Recent Articles from the Blog
  • Woods: Drivers, FW, and Hybrids
  • Irons and Wedges
  • Putter Buzz
  • Balls
  • Shafts
  • Bags and Carts
  • Golf Apparel (Fashion & Style)

MyGolfSpy University

• Lessons, Drills, Mental Game, and Fitness Tips
  • Training Aids, Apps, and Gadgets
  • Golf Rules Discussion
  • Club Fitting and Repair
  • DIY Golf Projects

As you can see, some sub-forums have moved between or into these two areas.  This should give the forum a more condensed look without having so many areas to choose from.  As the waterfall continued, now is the time to roll out the Member Community.  This will be an expanded place to connect with each other on all levels.  One of the great things about MGS is you can get to know others beyond their playing specs and truly get to know them.   

We have additional ideas for the Member Community that will roll out at a later date once finalized.  For now, please see below for the summary of changes to the current state:

Member Community

• Introduce Yourself
  • What’s in your bag?
  • General Q&A
  • Coupons and Contests
  • Classifieds
  • Arrange a Game with Fellow Spies

As a staff, we recognize the fact that change is not always easy.  We debated hard about these changes and have come to agreement that we feel this is the best path moving forward.  If you're having issues getting adjusted,  @GolfSpy Stroker @GolfSpy MPR @Golfspy_CG2 and myself are here to help.  Shoot us a PM or comment in this thread and we'll help you work through.

Hey @GolfSpy STUDque Sounds good. 

How about a BROKE 75 badge as I've had two 77's the last 2 weeks, its so close I can smell it lol

Plus 75 is also a big milestone even though its not a rounded 10 unit.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Thanks to all our mods for all of the hard (and mostly unnoticed) work you guys do to keep this the best forum in golf.  You guys are the real MVPs.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived