TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Machine (Bernhard Langer)

fixyurdivot

Bernhard Langer  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Will Bernhard Langer Surpass Hale Irwin's Champion Tour Win's Record?

• Yes
    • No

Well, he didn't win The Dominion Energy Classic this week but his 2nd place finish pretty much assures him of the 2018 Charles Schwab Cup.  This guy is a golfing machine and has owned the Champions Tour for years now.  I started watching him more and more at The Boeing Classic events and slowly became a fan.  He is just so consistent and rarely not in the mix on Sunday.  230 events entered and 230 cuts made! I'm sure when Phil joins this tour, he'll start a run of his own as will TW's,  but I don't think anyone is going to touch Bernard's record by the time he's done.  With 7 more victories needed to tie, I predict he'll blow past Hale Irwin's amazing 45 CT wins and several other of Hale's records.  Many of his fellow players believe he is a better player now than he was on the main tour.  He's in fantastic shape and is a dogged competitor.  If Mercedes made professional golfers, I suspect they'd look and perform like Bernhard Langer.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Several things that I cannot get past with Langer.

1. He's notoriously a very slow player.  Not a mention of it here on MGS yet, but Corey Pavin received a stroke penalty for slow play on Sunday at this tournament, and there were some vocal critics who subliminally thought that if anyone should receive a slow play penalty, it should be Langer.
  2. I cannot believe that he isn't anchoring his long putter.  But yet the powers that be will simply take his word for it that he isn't anchoring, and that is good enough.  Whether or not you agree with the anchoring ban, why implement a rule like that if you aren't going to enforce it, basically allowing Langer to carry on like it never happened.

I'll simply add that I am a guy who believes in adhering to the rules in life.  If you tell me things are a certain way because it's the rule or it's the law, I abide by those rules and laws.  To contrast this, I detest people who skirt the rules, or try and find a way around rules and laws to benefit themselves.  It's essentially lying or cheating.  It's why I have such a big problem with people who are tardy all the time.  People like this rarely seem bothered that they are late, but I just think it's extremely disrespectful of those around you, and you are essentially saying that the rules don't apply to me, and my time is more valuable than yours.  Same deal in life and in golf.  Don't look for a catch in the rules, or a way around the law.  For me it simply takes away from you as a person, and I won't trust anyone who behaves in such a way.  

All that said to say that I have very little respect for Bernhard Langer.  He may be winning a lot, but his behavior both with his slow play and anchoring his putter tell me he lacks integrity and respect for others.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

GSwag that’s the opposite opinion from that of his fellow competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've got to say that I've never heard much talk out of Langer really. Just idle chat after a round or win. But...

That speech he gave when he accepted the Payne Stewart award was something I'll never forget. Simply honest, elegant, and authentic. Say what you will about his game and such but as a man he was a class act with a load of integrity.  If you haven't watched It; I'm sure it's available somewhere out there. So go look it up.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

3 hours ago, revkev said:

GSwag that’s the opposite opinion from that of his fellow competitors.

Apparently the link I embedded above was too hard to see.  And no, I'm not alone in this assessment, at least when you read the below link you'll see I'm not alone.  Read the comments too while you're at it.

https://twitter.com/StephenAmesPGA/status/1054330602831388672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1054330602831388672&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsunday.golfchannel.com%2Farticle%2Fgolf-central-blog%2Fpavins-season-nearly-ends-after-slow-play-penalty

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

6 hours ago, GSwag said:

All that said to say that I have very little respect for Bernhard Langer.  He may be winning a lot, but his behavior both with his slow play and anchoring his putter tell me he lacks integrity and respect for others.

I've watched him on TV and in person and he does not play slow IMO.  As to his putting method, it has been reviewed by the USGA and PGA Tour Officials and determined to be compliant.  Personally, I think some of the comments in the link you provided are simply sour grapes belly aching from those who are growing tired of seeing him hoist hardware.

• 1 year later...

Wow, 41 wins on the Champions Tour, 14 consecutive years with at least one win, and 61 international victories.  That is most definitely HOF worthy.  Now only 4 to tie Hale Irwin's record and absolutely no signs of his 62 years age slowing him down - though the age vs. physical capability definitely follows an asymptotic curve. Watching Bernhard pull off yet another come from behind win at The Cologuard was amazing.  He's won me over throughout my years following this tour and is now a favorite.  

This is a good piece about him, the putting controversy, and what the talking heads think about his chances to surpass Hales record.  Bernhard is most definitely "die Golfmaschine".

Lot's of people hate a winner and they always will. Perhaps it's because it's not them.... and never will be them. Langer has what's called Integrity. Loads of it. If Langer is a cheater like some like to say you can bet the Media would be all over it like they are with Reed. And no... these two guys are not equivalent. Not even close. I encourage everyone to take 3 minutes and watch this video.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I watched this ceremony live on TV.  He is a class act. The whole putter controversy has long been put to bed.  Even these two analysts completely blow it off as a non issue. What is impressive is that like Webb Simpson, Adam Scott, and a handful of others, he had to re-invent a putting stroke.  That's a big hill to climb at this level of play/competition.  He sure seems to be defying the performance robbing aspects of age but the CT is adding younger talent every year which will make the quest for the 45 wins record really daunting.  I just really admire his focus and ability to chase down a leaderboard and hold onto it on Sundays. 

I am a big Langer fan. He is exactly one month older than me. Believe me he has always been a great ball striker and if he had discovered the broomstick putter earlier in his career there is no telling how many wins and majors he would have achieved on the PGA and European Tours. And like my esteemed friend Plad Jacket says the man has integrity. I also know the man to be an outstanding Christian man. If he believed in any shape form or fashion the way he putts was not in the scope of the rules he would not do it period. If one looks at his WITB photos you will also see he thinks outside the box on his equipment. He has a hodge podge of mismatched lead taped equipment even back in the day. I know for a while Lanny Watkins was constantly on his butt about the broomstick putter. I think Lanny is jealous because Bernhard exceeded his career and is still playing and winning while Lanny sits on his fat drunk butt in the booth talking. I heard through some well informed sources in Florida that the network finally told Lanny to can it on the Langer putter thing. Of course Bernhard would not even think on these lines but I bet Langer could take Lanny's old fat drunk butt in a street fight in less than 1 minute. I liked Hale Irwin too and he was one great ball striker but I think Langer will take him on wins. Like my late friend race car driver Tiny Lund said " What the heck? Records are made to be broken"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G