TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Question

LeftyHawk

I'm playing Ping silver dot irons. I'm looking to add a couple of wedges to the bag. Looking at a 54 & 58 degree. I'm having a dickens of a time finding silver dot wedges.

For those of you who are in the know, on the wedges, does the lie make that big of difference. I'm seeing a lot of black dot which is a couple of degrees flatter as compared to the silver. Will that make a difference in performance?

I'm not a tour level player (LOL), just a weekend guy looking to improve my game. I'm currently about a 8 handicap.

Thanks, Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

On that degree of loft I do not see it being much of a issue. A lot of shots you will hit with the open club open or closed that affects the lie. I currently play ping blue dots and I have a set of Taylormade milled grind wedges 52 56 60 at standard lie angles. I have not noticed a difference. If you did need the lie adjusted after testing, would be a easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yea, I was fitted for the silver, what a difference from the standard lie clubs I was using. Biggest improvement was accuracy.

But as I am looking to improve my short game which is why the wedge question

Far and Sure......

28 minutes ago, LeftyHawk said:

Yea, I was fitted for the silver, what a difference from the standard lie clubs I was using. Biggest improvement was accuracy.

But as I am looking to improve my short game which is why the wedge question

It will make an accuracy difference. 

Here they are in silver dot, click on all the options, and then hit customize, then they have dot color which has silver as an option even in left hand. I have had great experiences with this company  

https://www.2ndswing.com/ping/golf-wedges/glide-20/#

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

For a right handed person if you play too upright(toe up) then ball would go left, too flat (heel up) then ball would go right. This is at impact and not at address. Since you are a lefty then just flip side. 1* different should not be noticeable but anything more than 2* your performance will suffer. 

With the standard lie with the Cobra's I'm currently playing, my accuracy is way off and never consistent, I can see by the mark in the turf that the club is severely toe down going thru. After the fitting I picked up a silver dot 7 iron. Dead straight now, well at least with the 7 iron.

So my task is to locate a set of silver dot with stiff steel shafts.

I was just wondering if that applied to the wedges.

Far and Sure......

Most wedges are easily bent to adjust lie. You might not need to go all the way to silver, but bend it and see if your divot changes. My guess is that the Cobras are probably 64 degree at standard and you should easily be able to get 67 out of them.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Not sure if you looked into this, but you could get your 54,58 at whatever deal and send them into to ping to have them adjust to to silver for you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Get fit

If you plan on playing cast wedges they’ll need to be set up from factory to that lie. Any shop that says they’ll bend a cast club that much shouldn’t. They’ll snap quicker than a pretzel.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Also worth mentioning, there is a school of thought where the wedges are 1 or 2* flatter than the irons. Since you don't do full swings, shaft deflection is not as pronounced, so you get away with flatter sticks.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Tried getting them bent, all the irons the best the pro could do is 1 degree, further than that and they started to Creek.

As the season is pretty much over here in Michigan I'll have all winter to track down a set of irons. I've set my sights on Ping G15. But finding left handed, stiff steel shafts silver dot won't be easy....

Thanks all for the input, I'm glad this forum is here, tons of info.

Far and Sure......

9 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

Also worth mentioning, there is a school of thought where the wedges are 1 or 2* flatter than the irons. Since you don't do full swings, shaft deflection is not as pronounced, so you get away with flatter sticks.

First I've heard of this...I hope I'm not in trouble. I was fitted to 2* up for irons and subsequently upgraded my wedges earlier this year to the same spec. they play really well for me as is, but now I'm wondering if my occasional miss-hit is maybe a result of this "rule" or more just a me thing... It's gotta be a rule thing...right?😮

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

First I've heard of this...I hope I'm not in trouble. I was fitted to 2* up for irons and subsequently upgraded my wedges earlier this year to the same spec. they play really well for me as is, but now I'm wondering if my occasional miss-hit is maybe a result of this "rule" or more just a me thing... It's gotta be a rule thing...right?

I ordered a set of i5’s after going through the PING certified fitting program in Scottsdale. The fitting was a major eye opener and I ended up buying 3-7 in Green which used to be 2 up and 8-p in Blue which was one up.

The thought for me was I preferred cutting my shorter approach irons and going upright was not going to help.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

First I've heard of this...I hope I'm not in trouble. I was fitted to 2* up for irons and subsequently upgraded my wedges earlier this year to the same spec. they play really well for me as is, but now I'm wondering if my occasional miss-hit is maybe a result of this "rule" or more just a me thing... It's gotta be a rule thing...right?😮

You have both groups. Those who play wedges flatter and those who play the same specsas their irons.

Do you mishit on full swings only? Does the heel hit the ground first?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

My understanding is that Ping casts all their clubs at blue dot and bend from there. It's the reason they have the notch on the hostel - ease of bending. As it relates to the wedges a degree or so flatter might be fine but 4 degrees? That's a huge difference. Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

34 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

My understanding is that Ping casts all their clubs at blue dot and bend from there. It's the reason they have the notch on the hostel - ease of bending. As it relates to the wedges a degree or so flatter might be fine but 4 degrees? That's a huge difference. Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm never heard that before, but I guess it is possible

Tried getting them bent, all the irons the best the pro could do is 1 degree, further than that and they started to Creek.
As the season is pretty much over here in Michigan I'll have all winter to track down a set of irons. I've set my sights on Ping G15. But finding left handed, stiff steel shafts silver dot won't be easy....
Thanks all for the input, I'm glad this forum is here, tons of info.
A few seasons back I found a set of Ping i e1 irons on eBay and purchased them had the shafts I wanted and were a great price. However they were also orange and purple dots. So after purchase I went into the local shop and had them fit me then sent them to Ping for adjustments on the lie angle to bring them to blue dot. Took about 3 weeks in total, but Ping only charged for shipping and not anything else so it cost all of $30.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

11 hours ago, Kanoito said:

You have both groups. Those who play wedges flatter and those who play the same specsas their irons.

Do you mishit on full swings only? Does the heel hit the ground first?

No, sometimes on 1/2 to 3/4 shots. I think it's a me thing for sure. Full shots seem to mostly be OK and I have a good sense of the bounce overall. Ithink my specs are ok really.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

DANBROOK,

I've heard many similar stories about Ping. Just another reason I am going with them. I'm looking to get within a dot or 2 of silver.

Chris

Far and Sure......

I have a Raw Finish Wedge and was wondering if the finish could be changed to say like black or satin and never rust again.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I have a Raw Finish Wedge and was wondering if the finish could be changed to say like black or satin and never rust again.
You could probably have it chrome plated, but at that point you'd be better off buying a new wedge. Cost wise it wouldn't make sense

On 10/23/2018 at 2:16 AM, tommc23 said:

hmm never heard that before, but I guess it is possible

James Robinson did a tour of Ping's European Factory - tour guide said that's what they do: 

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Great video, Thanks for sharing....

Far and Sure......

I think Patrick Reed plays his 60* like 6 or 7* flat. I watched him in person at our local web.com tour event a long time ago and he was incredible with that thing.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Archived