TESTERS WANTED! ×

DIY Logo Golf Balls

Yes, I have a couple of divot tools from courses with no ball.  They do seem to have a pitch repair tool if no ball.  Not sure if these would be very durable in play.  But may have to try some time.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty sweet! I get bummed out too when there's no logo ball. If they have poker chips or ball markers I'll pick up one of those...but I've ended up playing quite a few courses with nothing.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Here's an update.  I've made 13 balls and I hope I'm done for a while.

IMG_1912.jpg

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit

Thanks for posting this thread. I have over 180 logo balls, and I feel the same way you do when I show up at a course and they don't have a logo ball. There are several courses in the area that don't have logo balls, mostly because they are barely in business. I might have to try what you are doing and see how it goes.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

52 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Thanks for posting this thread. I have over 180 logo balls, and I feel the same way you do when I show up at a course and they don't have a logo ball. There are several courses in the area that don't have logo balls, mostly because they are barely in business. I might have to try what you are doing and see how it goes.

If you try it and have questions, let me know.

This is quite innovative as far as I'm concerned. I would have never thought to do something like this.

I've been amazed many times with what some of our forum members can do or come up with. Nice work DBDORS.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, mychm said:

Howdy neighbor! (League City here)

Very cool project.

Thanks

That's awesome!

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

• 1 year later...

I have tried your suggestion and it works very well. 
But it does come off after several holes even after applying several coating of the vanish.

will be the uv gel glue to see if it’s last longer then normal decal vanish like

Brill idea using decal😀

59 minutes ago, K6mho said:

I have tried your suggestion and it works very well. 
But it does come off after several holes even after applying several coating of the vanish.

will be the uv gel glue to see if it’s last longer then normal decal vanish like

Brill idea using decal😀

Pretty sure these balls are not meant to be played :-))

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

On 10/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, dbdors said:

Not sure if these would be very durable in play. 

Yes, as I said in the 3rd post.  I use them for display only.  

• 1 year later...

This is AWESOME! I started collecting balls from courses I have played and I have them displayed in my office at work. A co worker gave me some balls from a few manufacturers we work on and now I want all of them as there aren’t many, but some are old and out of business  I’m not sure if they ever even had a ball to begin with. I figure I can make some for the mean time and search for originals while picking. I have 6 out of the 15 different Circuit Breaker manufacturers I would like to display. So I will be making some soon! 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:56 AM, dbdors said:

I want to start this by saying that I really like collecting logo golf-balls from courses that I play and sometimes just visit.  I find it a complete bummer to play a new course and they don't have a logo ball.   In additon to new course play, I also have a goal to play at least 9 - 18 holes in all of the 50 states and of course I collect a logo ball from each course.  I've covered 10 states including my home state of Texas.  And my evidence that I played is a logo ball.  But there are times when a course does not have a ball. Like last week, I was working in South Carolina and played two course around the Greenwood area.  I played 18 on one course that I was looking forward too, but once I got there I found out no logo balls.  Fortunately the other course (played 9) did have a ball (so SC was covered).  But still kept that feeling that I needed a ball from the first course I played there.

I also collect balls for the companies I have worked for other special places/companies/projects, etc. Through spin-offs mergers or changing jobs, I have managed to work for 6 companies.  Five of which I was able to get a ball for while I worked there, but for one I could not find a ball.  I did a lot of searching the web and their company store, but no evidence of a ball was found.

This got me thinking, "could I use printable water slide decals that the model builders use, to print my own logos and apply them to a ball".  I saw this product once while perusing the model car section of Hobby Lobby.  I used to build models cars as a kid and the water slide film is very thin.

As you will see it can be done and quite easily.  The process starts with some Testors Clear Printable Decal paper and spray decal bonder/set.  The decal bonder locks the ink to the decal paper and prevents it from running once wet.  If you buy it from Hobby Lobby, make sure you take a 40% off coupon for one item.  The paper is on the expensive side at $12 for 6 sheets of 5.5 X 8.5 paper.  But you should be able to get a bunch of logos from that material.

1.jpg

2.JPG

This is a clear plastic paper that will take printing via an inkjet printer.  I am a photographer by hobby and have a nice photo printer that I print photos with.  But you can use any good quality inkjet printer.  Also there are a number of companies that make printable decal paper (search Amazon or eBay).  All you need is a app to allow the capture and editing of a graphic and printing of the graphic.

To find a logos, I simply do a google image search for the golf course or company, etc.  Many will have some sort of logo that you can download online.  However one of my old favorite courses (but now closed) did not have a logo.  I did find a picture of a flag from the course so I decided to use that as a logo (assuming that if they ever had a logo, that would likely be it).  Fortunately it is a simple 1 color graphic that I was able to recreate in Power Point.  But again, you wont need Power Point if you have a digital graphic.

3.jpg

4.JPG

Once you have an image its a simple matter of editing the image and shrinking it down to fit on a golf ball.  I found from some searches that 3/4" - 1" is a good size for a ball logo.  So I set all my logo's to be about 7/8" to 1" wide (they looked the best to my eye, but do test prints, as one size does not work for all logos).  I highly suggest that you print them out on plain paper first.  Cut them out and test fit them to the ball.  If too small, make it larger and test print again.  If too big, then make them smaller and repeat until you get them to the size you want.  But don't waste your decal paper trying to get the sizing correct, test on plain paper first and in black and white to save ink.

To print them I used MS Word and built a page 5.5" wide by 8.5" long, the same size as the decal paper (but others sell it in 8 1/2" X 11") and Word is very easy to use.  Once I had my image in MS Word, it was a simple matter of sending the print to the printer.  I used photo paper settings with the highest quality.  And print out 2-3 images at a time for each logo, as you might mess up the first decal and have to start over.  Having extras means all you have to do is cut out another.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Once printed, I let the print dry.  For some printers this can be a few minutes (like mine) or many hours for others.  In order to save on the paper, I cut the printed strip off.  Then sprayed the cut off with a couple of light coats of the decal bonder.  You don't want to spray the entire blank page as I assume you cant print on it again once sprayed (this was not tested by me so I don't know if its true).  I found that I can print on the cutoff remainder just fine down to about 4 inches long.

The bonder didn't seem to need more that 30 minutes to dry, but there were not instructions on the spray can or the paper package.  I waited 30 min to 1 hour each between coats.  Once the bonder was dry, I cut out the decals and trimmed them close to the edge.  This is not critical since the balls I used were white and any un-printed edge did not show (note, use white balls as you can't print white on most consumer printers and if your logo has a white background it will have to show through the clear).  Also use some cheap balls, unless you have money to burn I wouldn't do these on ProV1's.  I had a bunch of Callaway and Nike balls that I got free that I don't play, (stuff I hit at the range sometimes).

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Finally take small bowl of warm water and let the decal soak to loosen the backing paper.  While soaking I take this time to go wash my hands and the ball with some warm water and hand soap to remove any oils.  I dried my hands but left the ball wet.  This makes it easy to move the water slide decals around.  At this point I gently slide the decal off the backing on to the ball, not using my hands on the sticky side.  You can move the decal around and make sure its in the correct position.  Then gently pat dry with a dry paper towel.
10.jpg

11.jpg

Once pressed in, I take a q-tip (cotton swab) and roll over the surface to get any excess water out and press in the dimples to push out water as well, then let them dry over night.  The final step is to spray with a light misting of decal bonder to seal the edges (not sure this is called for, but made me feel better anyway).

Below are the first 4 balls I did are from courses I have played and the other is one is of a company where I worked.  Looking at the balls its hard to tell that they are decals.  But you can feel them slightly with your hands.
12.jpg

13.jpg

Cool hobby.  Thanks for sharing the "how to" details.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 4 months later...

enjoyed this...now I just have to remember the other courses I've played. I used 1.25" as my maximum measurement (either height or width).

IMG_5411.jpg

Driver, 3wd, 5wd - Callaway Epic Flash

Hybrids - Cobra Bio Cell

Irons - Cobra Speedzone One Length

Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 CB

Putter - TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spider

3 hours ago, melcoeb said:

enjoyed this...now I just have to remember the other courses I've played. I used 1.25" as my maximum measurement (either height or width).

IMG_5411.jpg

Those look nice!

11 hours ago, melcoeb said:

IMG_5411.jpg

I’ve played on of those courses;  Viniterra is in my groups regular rotation.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

I’ve played on of those courses;  Viniterra is in my groups regular rotation.  

Viniterra was a nice course, we played it last month. Nice layout, teebox separations...enjoyed it.

Driver, 3wd, 5wd - Callaway Epic Flash

Hybrids - Cobra Bio Cell

Irons - Cobra Speedzone One Length

Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 CB

Putter - TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spider

• 3 weeks later...

I finally gave up on collecting golf balls and ball markers.  Have a small tin full of markers and seven displays full of golf balls from all over the world.  Wish I had the $$$ I have spent.  Would have enough to purchase a couple of new Vokey wedges when they are released.  Oh well will be getting the wedges regardless and continue to enjoy the displays.  Bring out a ball marker every now to show off.   Also like to collect coins from foreign countries to use as ball markers.  Always bring them back for my buddies.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I'm the same way, always try to grab a logo ball from all the courses I played.  Fortunately have been able to get a ball at almost all the courses I've played except for a few. Like Rancho Park, where Arnold Palmer shot a 13 on the par 5 9th hole, they said they didn't have any.  Played Ferry Point last fall, and they say they ran out.  Thought about writing the course name on one of the balls I used during the round, but this sounds like a better idea.  Not sure though I have the technical skills to pull it off.  I also want to play a round in all 50.  Right now I'm up to 15, try to knock off a new state at least every two years.  Worst part is that there are 5 states where I probably could have snuck in a round and just didn't get it done.

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

• 3 months later...

Cool idea. I now need to start collecting logo balls - and making my own!

Nige
"A bad attitude is worse than a bad swing"
Driver:    Ping i25 9.5 dialled down to 9.0 
Wood:     Slazenger 3 wood
Hybrid:   Ping i25  17*
Irons:      Ping i25 4-SW stiff shaft Green dot (factory adjusted - I only live an hour away)
Wedge:   Cougar Tour Touch I 50*    
Wedge:   Cleveland RTX 588 58*
Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite THE "L" 
Balls:      Srixon Distance (based on personal testing - work best for my game)
Other:    Shot Scope - can't live without the data!