TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hello from Montana

I don't think I ever made a formal introduction, so here it is.  My name is Bill and I've been playing golf since about age 5 growing up in Florida. My Dad introduced me to the game and I was fortunate to have played many rounds with him over many years until his passing.  I still recall him taking myself and a couple of neighbor friends to a local course in FL where we'd take lessons and play all day until he or another parent picked us up (great memories).  I played in the JGA for a few years in FL before the family relocated to Sacramento.  A path through high school, college and the USAF led my wife and I to WA.  After 30 great years with Boeing, I decided to retire early and we relocated to southwest Montana.  Golf has always been a favorite sport - only competing with fly fishing which most consider a hobby.  For a brief time in my early 30's I had a life best 11 handicap and, at that time, shot my best round of 74 at Mather AFB. 

While there was never a time when I did not play at all, there were a few periods during my career when I did not play too much (perhaps a dozen rounds/year).  I did play in a couple of work leagues and really enjoyed them, mostly because it sort of forced me to make time to get out and play.  The latter part of my career demanded lots of time and travel, making carving out time to play a challenge.  About 5 years ago, the golf bug bite me again and I just simply told myself to make time.  A good friend of mine had recently retired from the Army and we started playing regularly.  

Now retired and spending winters in Yuma with those same friends, I'm playing as much as ever. While Montana isn't a state most think of when it comes to golf, there are actually some really nice courses in our region - note I say region as several require a 1-2 hour drive.  But, those are largely traffic free, low stress freeway drives through some gorgeous terrain.  Better yet, they are rarely overcrowded and typically easy to get tee times (even same day).  My closest courses are 22 and 50 miles away - both without a single stoplight.  

I'm not much of a gear hound, tend to be old school, purchase used, and not very quick to jump at new technology.  This may very well be my inner self revolting against the very thing I did my whole professional career.  I really enjoy watching golf and The Golf Channel pretty much dominates the TV when my wife isn't watch her favorite shows.  At this point in my golf life, I focus much less on improvement and a lot more on just having fun.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm competitive and love winning dimes in our "Wolf" games down in Yuma, but my scoring/handicap is secondary.  I'm currently looking into changing from my PE2's (which I purchased new in 1988) and recently fitted this summer; the Ping G400 yielding the best results of those I tested.  But I just shot a 76 this past Saturday - making that decision even more difficult. 🙂

I stumbled on MGS this past June after joining and quickly leaving another golf forum where the site owner acted like a power crazed loon (seriously, the guy has issues).  As I stated in my first post, MGS rocks and I've really enjoyed getting to know many of the members - even if only virtually for now.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I don't think I ever made a formal introduction, so here it is.  My name is Bill and I've been playing golf since about age 5 growing up in Florida. My Dad introduced me to the game and I was fortunate to have played many rounds with him over many years until his passing.  I still recall him taking myself and a couple of neighbor friends to a local course in FL where we'd take lessons and play all day until he or another parent picked us up (great memories).  I played in the JGA for a few years in FL before the family relocated to Sacramento.  A path through high school, college and the USAF led my wife and I to WA.  After 30 great years with Boeing, I decided to retire early and we relocated to southwest Montana.  Golf has always been a favorite sport - only competing with fly fishing which most consider a hobby.  For a brief time in my early 30's I had a life best 11 handicap and, at that time, shot my best round of 74 at Mather AFB. 
While there was never a time when I did not play at all, there were a few periods during my career when I did not play too much (perhaps a dozen rounds/year).  I did play in a couple of work leagues and really enjoyed them, mostly because it sort of forced me to make time to get out and play.  The latter part of my career demanded lots of time and travel, making carving out time to play a challenge.  About 5 years ago, the golf bug bite me again and I just simply told myself to make time.  A good friend of mine had recently retired from the Army and we started playing regularly.  
Now retired and spending winters in Yuma with those same friends, I'm playing as much as ever. While Montana isn't a state most think of when it comes to golf, there are actually some really nice courses in our region - note I say region as several require a 1-2 hour drive.  But, those are largely traffic free, low stress freeway drives through some gorgeous terrain.  Better yet, they are rarely overcrowded and typically easy to get tee times (even same day).  My closest courses are 22 and 50 miles away - both without a single stoplight.  
I'm not much of a gear hound, tend to be old school, purchase used, and not very quick to jump at new technology.  This may very well be my inner self revolting against the very thing I did my whole professional career.  I really enjoy watching golf and The Golf Channel pretty much dominates the TV when my wife isn't watch her favorite shows.  At this point in my golf life, I focus much less on improvement and a lot more on just having fun.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm competitive and love winning dimes in our "Wolf" games down in Yuma, but my scoring/handicap is secondary.  I'm currently looking into changing from my PE2's (which I purchased new in 1988) and recently fitted this summer; the Ping G400 yielding the best results of those I tested.  But I just shot a 76 this past Saturday - making that decision even more difficult. 
I stumbled on MGS this past June after joining and quickly leaving another golf forum where the site owner acted like a power crazed loon (seriously, the guy has issues).  As I stated in my first post, MGS rocks and I've really enjoyed getting to know many of the members - even if only virtually for now.

Great intro and greetings from northwest Ohio

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Welcome to My Golf Spy!

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Great intro Bill.

you are right about Montana. Beautiful scenery and i've made many a trip down there as I live near the border.

we will need to hook up one summer and do some golfing at Anaconda  or maybe Kallispell / Whitefish.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Keep 'em coming Bill! Really enjoy reading your comments and content. Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Welcome and thank you for your service!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...

Welcome to MGS from Seattle, WA! Loved the intro!

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Archived