TESTERS WANTED! ×

Snederjans Stinger

fixyurdivot

There is something about Ollie I really like.  I'm always hoping to see his name in contention during the tour events.  Not the best swing in golf, but certainly not the worst.  One of the few players not wearing a cap or visor, he's his own man.  Watching him hit his stinger is amazing.  That is a shot I'd love to learn.  Do any of you play this shot?  If so, how did you go about adding it to your game?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I hit stingers with my 2 iron or driver. It can get crazy windy in Iowa so you need to know how to hit knock downs and stingers to fight through the wind at times. It takes a bit of practice and my miss with it is a push (which is weird since I never miss with a push on any other shots). 

You can actually tee it up just a little bit, maybe a quarter inch tee for an iron or top of the ball level with the crown for the driver. Stance is really dependent on the person. Certainly you place it further back but middle of your stance might be too far back, especially with the driver. Make a smooth swing - you can balloon them if you try to kill it. Here comes the most unhelpful tip ever... Try to hit it low. That is all I did to start practicing and hitting them. I just look at the ball and tried to hit it low. Your brain is actually pretty good at figure things like that out.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I hit pretty much all of my 2 iron shots using a stinger. I usually only hit it off the tee as a wind beater, so I have developed it out of need. 

I just take a full swing punch if that makes any sense. Just a steep AOA with a lot of shaft lean. 

Fairly simple, just need to practice it. 

Edit: farther back in your stance too. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

When you get a 2 club wind in your face here in Florida, every shot becomes a stinger. I played in a tournament a week ago where we had a strong wind in our face on one par 5. The other two guys ballooned their usual drives where the wind pushed their balls left and right into trouble. I stepped up and blistered a line drive that never went more than 15 feet off of the ground.

Tee it low and play it way back in your stance and close the clubface. You can do this with any club, from driver to putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Yep. I use it mostly with long irons hybrid and driver.

I had to add it because of the prevailing North wind here. Played most of the 2017 season hitting tee shot stingers and knock downs all year. Real windy.

There are many techniques to hitting them. I use Trevino’s, and crowd the ball.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/trevinorules/amp

10 hours ago, GB13 said:

I hit pretty much all of my 2 iron shots using a stinger. I usually only hit it off the tee as a wind beater, so I have developed it out of need. 

I just take a full swing punch if that makes any sense. Just a steep AOA with a lot of shaft lean. 

Fairly simple, just need to practice it. 

Edit: farther back in your stance too. 

So it sounds like a full swing version of a knock down/punch shot from under a tree line?  My 2i hasn't seen much play time in awhile; this is something I can work on this winter.  I tend to hit high tee shots and they do get blown around if winds are up.  Having this shot in my repertoire could come in handy.

I love hitting a stinger with my 3w and driving iron. The big stick and 4i still need a bit more time. The only real changes I make is tee it up just a hair higher than normal, a touch of shaft lean and try to hit down instead of the sweeping/hitting up thought I have with a normal shot off the tee. Practice practice practice!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

28 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So it sounds like a full swing version of a knock down/punch shot from under a tree line?  My 2i hasn't seen much play time in awhile; this is something I can work on this winter.  I tend to hit high tee shots and they do get blown around if winds are up.  Having this shot in my repertoire could come in handy.

That is how I hit it. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I can hit a stinger, but I have no reason to hit it with anything less than driver.  Yeah, mine looks just like that... except for the 166 mph ball speed.  :blush:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

yep, just like hitting a hockey puck with a hockey stick.  Set that club way back in your stance - deloft it as far as possible, and half swing and punch the ball, compressing it against the ground, and watch that sucker fly on a straight line towards the goal.  And if you take it to the next level, when I am behind a tree and have to punch out, I can play it out right or left, and hook or slice it, depending on what I need to shape the ball around.  But every single one of these shots runs no more than 15 feet above the ground, parallel to it.  It's tricky to master too, because you have to factor in how much roll you are going to get at the end, which can be tough, especially if you are hitting into a elevated green with mounds, and a bunker in the way.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

3 minutes ago, GSwag said:

yep, just like hitting a hockey puck with a hockey stick.  Set that club way back in your stance - deloft it as far as possible, and half swing and punch the ball, compressing it against the ground, and watch that sucker fly on a straight line towards the goal.  And if you take it to the next level, when I am behind a tree and have to punch out, I can play it out right or left, and hook or slice it, depending on what I need to shape the ball around.  But every single one of these shots runs no more than 15 feet above the ground, parallel to it.  It's tricky to master too, because you have to factor in how much roll you are going to get at the end, which can be tough, especially if you are hitting into a elevated green with mounds, and a bunker in the way.

You just described some of my miss hits that turn out exceptionally well 🤣.  This shot will be fun to work on this winter.  A couple of the courses offer monthly range/practice area passes and I plan to do that this season.

There is  a part 2 to watch also, but look up Kyle. He is the best at "sniping" as he calls it. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

3 hours ago, Brewmaster said:

There is  a part 2 to watch also, but look up Kyle. He is the best at "sniping" as he calls it. 

Interesting that he says that you have to stretch, have a strong core, and keep your spine angle... in the second step of Video 2!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived