TESTERS WANTED! ×

ULTIMATE PUTTER REVIEW - (NEED YOUR HELP)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Ok...so we are working very hard to figure out the best golf club review process and constantly improving. I think you guys are really going to like what we are working on.

BUT.....

Then comes the putters. Almost all reviews on putters are 100% subjective. They are one reviewers opinion about how a putter worked for him which most likely will not work for you.

SO....

What I want you guys to help us with is with coming up with the "ULTIMATE PUTTER REVIEW". Any idea will be listened to so don;t worry about your ideas being good or bad...just post whatever your thinking. I want this to be about finding a review process that will help golfers be able to actually make a decision about whether or not a particular putter is RIGHT FOR THEM....not a review that golfers come away saying well that putter looks cool.

Look forward to all your responses.

#TruthDigest

I think the following is one of the few quantifiable things in determining if a putter is of decent quality: http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction/article/0,28136,1623623,00.html

However, this obviously won't apply to most heel shafted putters since those tend to have sweet spots right near the hosel. Nevertheless, it's a pretty good acid test for Ansers, double-bend shafted mallets, etc.

Recording the sound a putter makes during ball contact as an audio file may be something that's a useful part of the review process, since many readers will want something beyond just words and still photos. In a similar vein, showing high speed video of how a ball rolls after a stroke will be pretty cool.

If it's possible to get MOI measurements, that may be a good tool for readers to gauge if a particular putter is forgiving enough for them on off-center strokes.

Here's something else. If actual metallurgic tests can be done on the putter's steel content that demonstrate consistency in structure, density, what-have-you ... that may be of interest as well, as long it doesn't get overly scientific.

• SPY VIP

Throw together a cheap pendulum arm. That would only leave feel to be subjective, all other facets would be controlled and unbiased.

We have a putter robot but what do you really want to see it test?

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Here's something else. If actual metallurgic tests can be done on the putter's steel content that demonstrate consistency in structure, density, what-have-you ... that may be of interest as well, as long it doesn't get overly scientific.

Yes they do exist but would cost about $1000 per review...not in the budget unfortunately. We are however paying for one in one of our upcoming reviews.

#TruthDigest

Recording the sound a putter makes during ball contact as an audio file may be something that's a useful part of the review process, since many readers will want something beyond just words and still photos.

The ball is just as much a factor in this as the putter. Then you have sound equalization variances from speaker to speaker, so 2 different readers (listeners) will hear 2 completely different sounds.

Personally, I dont think its possible to review putters online other than alignment accuracy, loft and such being accurate, etc.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

Like I said on FB, finding a reviewer that knows his/her stroke and they get certain putters. For instance, I am a low rotational player that uses an anser style blade. So anything with a PN or toe hang from 3:00 to 4:45.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I think the ultimate putter review would consist of 2 sections: Objective and Subjective.

Objective:

Testing where the sweet spot is - does it line up with the sight line/dot?

With the robot, test how it performs on center hits vs. off center hits

I'd also love to see how quickly is starts the ball rolling.

Player testing: have 10 players of varying handicaps bring their putter to the test and see how their gamer performs vs. the putter being tested. The write up might look like this:

Player A, Gamer: Anser 2-style putter with plumbers neck. Made 5/5 from 3 feet, made 3/5 from 10 feet (average miss: 6 inches)......

Player A, Test putter. Made 1/5 from 3 feet.

This would show how different putters might work for players who like different types of putters. You could also compile the total makes and misses and compare the totals from one putter against another.

Subjective:

Feel, look, sound. Lots of pics, video, and sound would be helpful.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I second Matt's ideas about the roll from sweet spot with the robot.

Can the robot simulate different swing paths? That would be interesting to see. Putter with SBST vs the same putter with arcing stroke.

Maybe adjust the putter so it is not totally flush at impact and look at results. Open/closed, add/remove loft, and etc.

Interesting side test would be to see how different balls perform with the same putter. Insert vs noninsert & etc.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived